Unidentified fossils drop rate

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ande.2105

ande.2105

Hi all. I just wondered if anyone else is having the same issue I’m having. I’ve not read of a nerf to the drop rate of these but after using 90+ lockpicks and not seeing one for so kitten long now, I beginning to wonder wth is going on. This is seriously frustrating. I’m not being entitled or anything, and am expecting only replies of " RNG is RNG blah blah". But was really just curious if anyone else was having the same issue.
Thanks in advance for reading.

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
– Jake Chambers.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

There have been people reporting this from the very start of the update that introduced the fossils. The chance of fossil drop is low enough to make it probable to go 100+ lockpicks without one.

Posted by: Varakkys.2490

Varakkys.2490

40+ lockpicks here, haven’t found a single one.

I love some of the Ambrite weapon designs, and I’d be more than happy to work toward attaining them as a long term goal. Except I can’t, because of the usual RNG BS. Would it be so bloody terrible Anet, to provide players with an option to trade currency (geodes, karma, whatever) for an unidentified fossil?

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’ve found just one in my considerable time in Dry Top.

I find myself not going there anymore as there’s no real reason to be there, ie. I can’t justify the hours needed to spend there needed for geodes, for one recipe of an Ambrite weapon. The fossils were kind of rare before the 9/9 patch, but now they’re even rarer since the Collections.

Coincidence?

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

ande.2105

I agree with you Valandil Dragonhart, I found some before the collection update, not loads but enough to keep the impetus up for going for the full set, but since the collections were added in the ‘feature patch’ they’ve become rarer than hens teeth. Getting so annoyed about something which is, as far as we know totally random. Its beginning to wear thin on me :-/ /tears :P

– Jake Chambers.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Opened 10 boxes – 2 fossils.

Drop rate is fine.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Use the pvp reward track. Most reliable way to get fossils.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

ande.2105

I had wondered about the PVP method, but, I wasnt sure how to go about opening the relevant reward track. I’ve been playing since betas/headstarts, and have literally spent about 10 mins doing PVP, so this probably wouldnt be a very effective method for me as I have zero experience in PVP and will just spend all my time dead on the floor frustrated. But, if it continues as it is, I may have to try it anyway, reluctantly.

– Jake Chambers.

Tao.5096

I had wondered about the PVP method, but, I wasnt sure how to go about opening the relevant reward track. I’ve been playing since betas/headstarts, and have literally spent about 10 mins doing PVP, so this probably wouldnt be a very effective method for me as I have zero experience in PVP and will just spend all my time dead on the floor frustrated. But, if it continues as it is, I may have to try it anyway, reluctantly.

It’s Maguuma Wastes Reward Track which doesn’t have a pre.

Also does it matter if you lose or not? yes, winning matches speed up completion but still you can finish it within one full day or 2 evenings.

Also you get other rewards like Sand Silk or Geodes and Lockpicks.

ande.2105

Ah ok Tao thanks, I may look into it and give it a go. Half my prob is I have zero competitiveness in me, I dont get any joy from winning matches like this so the pull to PVP for me has been pretty much non-existant. But I will give it a look tonight and see how i fare (prepares to get butchered lol). If any of you guys need easy kills in PVP tonight, you know where I’ll be :-D

– Jake Chambers.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

I’ve received 1 from PvP track. To get the geodes to get the recipe to craft the weapon I’ve gotten 3 more fosiles of which I had no more use than waste them for those useless bags…

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Tao.5096

As reminder:

This is a Fossil of choice.
You choose which one you want, so you can work both on pvp track one and on buried lockboxes in Dry Top.

So thanks to this, you nullify the possibility of repetitive fossil coming up.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

One of the drawbacks of non tradeable rewards, I have been throwing mine away because I have no use for them.

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Got my Odonata LongBow..I am a happy

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

ande.2105

As reminder:

This is a Fossil of choice.
You choose which one you want, so you can work both on pvp track one and on buried lockboxes in Dry Top.

So thanks to this, you nullify the possibility of repetitive fossil coming up.

Ah ok nice, thanks for the info, having done literally 0 PVP I wasn’t aware of this, I will look into it when I get home from work and online tonight, cheers :-)

– Jake Chambers.

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

I’ve started collecting the exotic boxes we get from every chest. I soon have a whole stack of 250 with one fossil drop from them. Many Twisters in a jar and scarfs though.

Another thing we’re supposed to grind for months in this “grindless” game for a weaponskin, since the stats are exotic and on top of that useless. Like with Fractals, soon two years without a single weaponskin I wanted. LOL!

ande.2105

I was doing the same Gambit, but I got to the point where it felt like I was getting no real tangible reward for doing the dry top events so i went through the chests for my blue/green items. Got a few rares and a couple of scarfs and such also from the locked chests themselves, but its very lackluster reward wise for the effort put in. I feel your pain :-)

– Jake Chambers.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Like everything else in this game, If you want a drop from an event – Don’t do that content for a week straight. When you pop right back in, it will give you a fossils right off the bat.

I am only missing 2 insects now(gotten 7 as drops, rest from pvp, within first 5 chests each time after a week break from Drytop) and that has been my strategy, while Anet wants to admit it or not the DR system in place is rewards players that play less frequently instead of those who try and grind the content over and over.

(edited by ZilentNight.5089)

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I would suggest solo queuing into team arena. 500 points for a loss (same as winning hotjoin) and 1500 for a win. Best way to complete these tracks.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

I think I’ll be branded a heretic for saying that I deleted one…
But nonetheless that was the case.
Because I honestly didn’t like these weapons
My asura theme demands fused weapons/incinerator.