Unidentified gear

Unidentified gear

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Last Warrior Lord.7248

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Unidentified gear is a no go Anet. Don’t revert back to the one thing I and others hated in gw1 (7years). JUST NO!

(edited by Last Warrior Lord.7248)

Unidentified gear

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

Unidentified gear is a no go Anet. Don’t revert back to the one thing I hated in gw1 (7years). JUST NO!

yeah no unid gear please!! i hated that in gw1 !!

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

It’s pretty lame

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Unidentified gear

AncientYs.8613

It’s pretty lame

yeah it is, and we have to get Anets attention about this.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Al Menia.4570

Al Menia.4570

Why is it bad?
At least it can stack, and that’s handy!

Unidentified gear

Nihevil.8024

Why is it bad?

It costs 1s 68c to identify each piece and if you don’t you’ll lose out on precursors and other nice exotics that sell for decent amount of gold.

Unidentified gear

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Why is it bad?

Now you have to identify with this system but it stacks, sounds great right, not really. Its bad because it becomes more repetitive even more. If they stick with this system you are going to have to identify and than if you don’t like it (or don’t need) than you have to or want to salvage it. Too many clicking and soul searching for junk which equals repetitive annoying system. GW1 should be a good reference to learn and not repeat. ANet don’t keep this cursed GW1 system.

Edited: What “Nihevil” mention is a good point. Its a cash pool and forces you to identify; if you don’t you lose the chance of a good other exotics or precursors.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I believe the logic is inventory clutter. These things stack and can be identified later, vs. filling up on gear that you have to sort through as you go or you may run out of inventory space.

Whether or not this is better will be determined by how identification works. If it’s super easy, then this is a really big win.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

It’s bad because rare and exotic items can hide in the “unidentified” label. If you just salvage, you’ll never know. If you ID, you have to go to a heart vendor (and I assume you have to have done the heart) then pay to ID them — by each, then pay to salvage.

IMO, it’s a lot of run around and extra fuss to save a bit of inventory space.

Unidentified gear

AncientYs.8613

It’s bad because rare and exotic items can hide in the “unidentified” label. If you just salvage, you’ll never know. If you ID, you have to go to a heart vendor (and I assume you have to have done the heart) then pay to ID them, then pay to salvage.

yeah this sounds pretty bad =/ a function gated behind something else? typical of Anet to do something like this..

like as if ID wasn’t bad enough we have to finish the heart vendor to even be able to pay to id it and then AGAIN to salvage it? no thanks i’ll just stock up on unid gear and NEVER id them.. in fact if i can’t even salvage them with my salvage kit then really what’s the point of this id system? it’s pointless! at least in gw1 there were id kits but in gw2 they just want to kitten us over by making it extremely difficult.. it’s too much effort!!

Unidentified gear

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It’s bad because rare and exotic items can hide in the “unidentified” label. If you just salvage, you’ll never know. If you ID, you have to go to a heart vendor (and I assume you have to have done the heart) then pay to ID them — by each, then pay to salvage.

Don’t worry, I’m sure the 800-1000 gems item that will let you identify them outside of the heart vendor is already completed and hitting the gem store shortly after launch.

The Burninator

Unidentified gear

AncientYs.8613

^ Don’t worry, I’m sure the 800-1000 gems item that will let you identify them outside of the heart vendor is already completed and hitting the gem store shortly after launch.

so this is why the id system was introduced in gw2 huh? in order to sell their stupid gem store kit that makes it easier but for a price! -_- at this point Anet is just making up systems in order to rake in cash….

Unidentified gear

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

^ Pretty much everything new is designed to generate gem sales as that is crucial to their business model. So I can’t say I blame them.

The Burninator

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I’d rather have this than have Anet invent a hundred more bag types…. and not have an “open all” button for those bags.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Unidentified gear

AncientYs.8613

^ Pretty much everything new is designed to generate gem sales as that is crucial to their business model. So I can’t say I blame them.

yeah i understand that, they have to make their money somehow right?

but for us players this ID system is really frustrating..

i mean having to get stuff id’ed at a heart vendor that only unlocks after completing the heart just sounds like a lot of effort just to id the gear..

imagine having to do the heart everyday to unlock the vendor just to id. In this case having regular merchants sell the id kits would be much better!

Unidentified gear

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Why is it bad?

It costs 1s 68c to identify each piece and if you don’t you’ll lose out on precursors and other nice exotics that sell for decent amount of gold.

This makes IDing necessary, a necessary evil. After reading the myriad of complaints about the amount of clicking needed to manage one’s inventory, who could have possibly thought that adding more clicking would be a good idea.

Send this kitten to the oubliette, now, before PoF launches.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Viking.1285

Viking.1285

Why is it bad?

oh yeah I´ll totally miss out on all those precursors I would get….

…or I could just salvage thousands of trash loot and get tons of mats.

[LNS]Lina Invers
Elementalmage
Legion Night Stalker – We stalk the Night

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Considering how many weapons we get in junk loot, it sounds like this’ll cost an absolute fortune. Why do I want to spend all my money identifying things that previously I could see at a glance?

Unidentified gear

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

Ugh, this sounds absolutely horrific

I already disliked the repeatable hearts (“dailies”) during LS3, but they were optional, usually. But if they are really pushing the idea of “mandatory” dailies then … really it’s one of the major factors that drove me out of WoW… Not to mention the additional cost…

Just… no

Unidentified gear

AncientYs.8613

Ugh, this sounds absolutely horrific

I already disliked the repeatable hearts (“dailies”) during LS3, but they were optional, usually. But if they are really pushing the idea of “mandatory” dailies then … really it’s one of the major factors that drove me out of WoW… Not to mention the additional cost…

Just… no

yeah this sounds disasterrific.. truely.. =/ what is Anet thinking?? trying to force us to do hearts to id some gear!! this is unacceptable!! i’d rather just buy some id kits then!!

Unidentified gear

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

As I said in my original post/feedback regarding this: while I get where anet was going with this, if they insist on keeping this system in the game, they need to lower the cost of ID to no more than 50cp. This way they have a small coin investment that won’t break the bank, especially for new players who are going to 80 bump themselves into the game AND they get to keep their space saving/gamble thing in the game.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Unidentified gear

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

As I said in my original post/feedback regarding this: while I get where anet was going with this, if they insist on keeping this system in the game, they need to lower the cost of ID to no more than 50cp. This way they have a small coin investment that won’t break the bank, especially for new players who are going to 80 bump themselves into the game AND they get to keep their space saving/gamble thing in the game.

They need to remove the cost to ID and get rid of the requirement to go anywhere to do it. We didn’t need to identify before and I don’t see any reason to bring back that crappy GW1 system.

I barely ever have issues with bag space and since you also have to unlock a heart vendor (effectively bringing one of the worst misfeatures of WoW into GW2: mandatory dailies) this ends up being worse than it was before as far as I’m concerned: more busywork, more clicking and at a higher cost.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Why is it bad?

That is an outragous price. (head—>desk)

Unidentified gear

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

I think there are three main components to be considered for unid gear:

1) Inventory space. The fact that unid gear stacks is AMAZING compared to the kind of inventory problems you could have after a single AB meta.
2) The price. 1s 68c to identify 1 piece of gear is just far too high, even considering rares/exos
3) The rarity of the items inside. No one wants to salvage green unids that could have been rares or exos.

Here’s what I would suggest: make 3 variants of the unid gear: Masterwork (contains blues and greens), Rare (contains rares), and Exotic (contains exos and, if they can drop from unids, possible asc). This still massively reduces clutter, but also allows players to salvage and identify as they want. This gives a second opportunity: varied identification prices. 1s 68c is way too much for the green gear, but is perhaps not bad for rare unids. Anet could then tailor the prices to where they actually seem worthwhile, while still being a gold sink.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I think there are three main components to be considered for unid gear:

1) Inventory space. The fact that unid gear stacks is AMAZING compared to the kind of inventory problems you could have after a single AB meta.
2) The price. 1s 68c to identify 1 piece of gear is just far too high, even considering rares/exos
3) The rarity of the items inside. No one wants to salvage green unids that could have been rares or exos.

Here’s what I would suggest: make 3 variants of the unid gear: Masterwork (contains blues and greens), Rare (contains rares), and Exotic (contains exos and, if they can drop from unids, possible asc). This still massively reduces clutter, but also allows players to salvage and identify as they want. This gives a second opportunity: varied identification prices. 1s 68c is way too much for the green gear, but is perhaps not bad for rare unids. Anet could then tailor the prices to where they actually seem worthwhile, while still being a gold sink.

I hope they implement your ideas. But I’m worried it’s going to seem too reasonable or something.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Having green un ID stack is great. Hiding rares and exotics inside and asking us to pay more than the value of most green gear to ID and find them isn’t.

Since I rarely get rares and almost never get exotics, I’ll be losing money when I ID the gear, and I’ll be losing the few rares that I do get if I don’t. The need to pay for IDs is a lose lose situation.

Im not crazy about the heart requirement either.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Why is it bad?

Prove it. Prove that anything but blue/green garbage comes out of them.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Why would they make item acquisition even more tedious?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Proof, hmm. I don’t think I bothered to screen shot it since I’d already seen the skins via That_Shaman’s and Dulfy’s links. But from identifying all the bags from a few hours of play I got, iirc, rare quality Elonian Pistol/Hammer/2 Longbows and exotic quality Sunspear Sword, possibly one other item. I unlocked the skins to trigger the collection. I tried to give the spare Longbow to another player and that’s when I found out there is no trading by beta alts, mail of items/gold is blocked even to other beta alts.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They are basically the same as Bag of Gear except you can skip the opening step.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Why is it bad?

1. It replaces all sources of Rare and Exotic Gear
2. It doesn’t replace all sources of Fine, Common, and Masterwork gear.

So now, we no longer get good loot. We have to pay for a chance of earning a Rare or Exotic from the loot we’ve earned in the world. It doesn’t stop inventory clutter. It costs 1.67 silver to identify – far more than the materials are generally worth. Instead of having to go to a vendor to sell our sigils, we now have to go to one to identify our gear if we want rares/exotics. And, because it all salvages when you hit “Salvage all Masterwork and Below”, we can’t even simply clear our inventory of trash in the open world without losing all our Exotics and rares!

it’s a massive step back in terms of inventory management.

They are basically the same as Bag of Gear except you can skip the opening step.

And lose all potential Exotics, Rares, and ectos. Where the hell are people getting the idea that the color of the unidentified item corresponds to the tier of rarity – There’s one tier of unidentified item: Green. It identifies into White, Blue, Green, Yellow, or Orange.

Unidentified gear

Last Warrior Lord.7248

Suggestions (assuming A-net already made their minds up) :

1- Make Fine, Blue and Green Gear as stack-able Called " Unidentified Cavalier Gear / Make Rare, Exotic, and low chance for ascended Gear as stack-able Called “Unidentified Sunspear Gear”

2- Change the Identified Gear as Buy-able items as like Salvage Kits so you don’t have to go out your way just to talk to the Heart Task Npc’s constantly.

3- Everyone is happy!

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Why is it bad?

1. It replaces all sources of Rare and Exotic Gear
2. It doesn’t replace all sources of Fine, Common, and Masterwork gear.

So now, we no longer get good loot. We have to pay for a chance of earning a Rare or Exotic from the loot we’ve earned in the world. It doesn’t stop inventory clutter. It costs 1.67 silver to identify – far more than the materials are generally worth. Instead of having to go to a vendor to sell our sigils, we now have to go to one to identify our gear if we want rares/exotics. And, because it all salvages when you hit “Salvage all Masterwork and Below”, we can’t even simply clear our inventory of trash in the open world without losing all our Exotics and rares!

it’s a massive step back in terms of inventory management.

And lose all potential Exotics, Rares, and ectos. Where the hell are people getting the idea that the color of the unidentified item corresponds to the tier of rarity – There’s one tier of unidentified item: Green. It identifies into White, Blue, Green, Yellow, or Orange.

In that case they are worse than Bag of Gear …

Unidentified gear

Nihevil.8024

Why is it bad?

Done, two rares in the first three I identified. First screenshot showing what I have in my inventory, second screenshot showing what I got out of the first 8 I identified in order.

Edit: here’s two more screenshots, getting an exotic as well.

Attachments:

(edited by Nihevil.8024)

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Why is it bad?

I not only received a number of rares (which were for the Elonian weapon collection), I got an exotic that was an upgrade of the Elonian dagger.

As noted in the other thread re: this subject, we are still getting blues and greens on top of the UnID’ed gear, so how this is space-saving enough to warrant the hassle and expense of ID’ing, I just don’t know.

Unidentified gear

Nihevil.8024

Why is it bad?

I not only received a number of rares (which were for the Elonian weapon collection), I got an exotic that was an upgrade of the Elonian dagger.

As noted in the other thread re: this subject, we are still getting blues and greens on top of the UnID’ed gear, so how this is space-saving enough to warrant the hassle and expense of ID’ing, I just don’t know.

It’s stupid, unfortunately they’ll probably keep it in the game. Probably so they can sell a cash shop identifier that’ll do it at a lower cost or even free.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: stone cold.8609

stone cold.8609

Wow, didn’t notice this at first and had to log back in to check it out. Really not a fan of this new expac “feature.” Adding unidentified loot that requires either another tool (or worse yet, a repeating heart quest/vendor) to identify and costing silvers (likely more that the value of the loot) is not an appealing feature to me. If you separated out the loot by quality, decreased the cost, and didn’t tie it to the repeating heart quests, then I think you’d be on to something helpful and useful.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

…more busywork, more clicking and at a higher cost.

This sums up this bad feature in a nutshell. Who at ANet sat with a straight face in a planning meeting and said, “Hey, this will be fun for players.”?

ANet has done a lot of things to the game since launch that I’ve disliked. However, I could always see the point behind it in terms of what other players might want, even if I did not care for it myself. This one, though, is a really bad decision with no upside for players. If any player thinks this is a good idea, I encourage them to examine the consequences critically. marelooke has summed them up.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

… the exotics chance i can understand. the precursors I don’t because, honestly, you have the same chance of getting it via drop as you do from the mystic toilet – except you can spam the toilet.

for people who actively hunt equipment to throw in i can see this being a problem. My problem may be that i just salvage exotics i get unless they sell for a decent amount regardless, so to me having to identify is pretty much pointless and just saves me inventory space when i mass salvage. (crafting mule ftw)

Unidentified gear

Posted by: glutularphysics.7923

glutularphysics.7923

yeah, I was really in to the idea of a system that reduces inventory clutter, so I was very surprised by normal blues/greens/bags etc dropping from enemies in the new zone. Literally the only convenient aspect of it is that you don’t get sigils etc. from salvaging unidentified gear, but as others have already said, that convenience is kind of ruined by a few things like;

• losing the potential rares/exotics (an extra shame because the skins are really nice) outright by salvaging them all
  • the surprisingly high identify cost which is also locked behind renown vendors
  • if you do identify them so you don’t miss rares/exotics, you’re then still going to have to salvage everything and end up with a bunch of sigils again.

all in all what seemed like a good idea originally now seems more like another confusing, flawed system, so I’m hoping it gets some rapid revisions before launch. its a shame we won’t actually be able to test any changes if they/that do get made and give feedback before release though.

edit: a friend of mine mentioned that when they were salvaging the unidentifiable stuff, they sometimes got stacks of up to 30 materials on top of the standard 2-5 stacks? if so maybe that’d somewhat make up for the lack of rares/exotics? :/

pls call me meat

(edited by glutularphysics.7923)

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

I didn’t take a screenshot, but I had at least five rares drop out of them when I ID’d a bundle of six or so, including 3 Elonian weapons like the one you can choose as a pre-order package bonus.

Also: Confirmed that hearts in Crystal Desert are on daily reset and you cannot ID gear at a heart vendor unless you do the heart that day.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Vindicus.2130

Vindicus.2130

1s68c to identify is HILARIOUS. This change completely destroys this xpac already as I’ll never see another item above green drop again because I won’t pay 2s to get an item worth 80c and gamble to get items of higher quality than masterwork. Expac dead before it even launches with this failed system.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I am certainly not a fan of Unidentified Gear in its current implementation. If they cut the coin cost for ID entirely, I’d be in.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Neurion.4086

Neurion.4086

As I wrote on another thread, please take into account that behind Unidentified loot there are Elonian weapons hiding, which are part of a new collection and which weapons can be upgraded, aka become Exotic.

Also, if you salvage all before identification you miss on the Rare equipment, which, when salvaged, gives Ectos; so the consequence will be the Ecto price to skyrocket.

There are a lot of problems with this [old] system.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

From the few examples given it sounds like rares drop more frequently in that area. The cost to ID might be a gold sink put there to offset the expected increase in income from those rares and ectos

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: LaCoria.8549

LaCoria.8549

I was excited at first when I heard about this feature, finally, being able to avoid getting my bags cluttered! Then I saw it in action. Huge disappointment. All this really is, is yet another gold sink, only now you have to do it if you have any intention of completing collections or ever having a chance at those rare skins/precursors.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I strongly suspect the drop rate has been jacked up for the demo, as they did for the HoT beta.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Wow! What a terrible idea and a step back. Glad I haven’t prepurchased yet, PoF looks like one disappoint after another.

Unidentified gear

Posted by: akenoyuki.8210

akenoyuki.8210

If only opening those bag will cost no money at all…

- Guild Wars 2 Helper Android App -
* Event Timer (including HoT Meta), Daily, WvW, Pact Supply, Account. Trading Post, etc:
* Google Playstore Link

(edited by akenoyuki.8210)

Unidentified gear

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Ah ca-ca— mini games again and this new disappointment on top (besides caving to minority mount threads, like they caved to the raid threads.)