Unique Profession Dodge Effects.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lolAirborne.8496

lolAirborne.8496

Q:

I don’t know if this has been brought up before, but I feel that this should have been implemented into the game a long time ago.

The Thief has one, so all other profession should too.

Elementalist: could vary between different attunements

Necro: The locust swarm effect

Guardian: The rippling aura from The Flameseeker Prophecies

Mesmer: Blurred frenzy effect

Warrior, Engi, and Ranger….? I don’t know what to do.

Posted by: Jay.1085

Jay.1085

hmmm, actually I see your point. I never notice that even though I main a Guard, ele and thief. I know my thief has a unique sound and effects when dodging But My ele and guard both have the same animation for rolls.

Good idea, I like it! might be hard for the team right now to do, but maybe in the future.

Ranger pets would roll to. That would be so cute

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

Sure.

Also, at least one class would keep the old dodge roll. I’d say Ranger (looks more like an agility thing) Warior could just do a plain dash like they’re plowing though things. Engie could do a short rocket jump.

You also forgot revenant. Probably some mists energy surge or something.

lolAirborne.8496

Sure.

Also, at least one class would keep the old dodge roll. I’d say Ranger (looks more like an agility thing) Warior could just do a plain dash like they’re plowing though things. Engie could do a short rocket jump.

You also forgot revenant. Probably some mists energy surge or something.

Whoops, I forgot the Revenant. :d

Something with their spell effects to symbolize the mist stuff.

Posted by: BrazenNL.9857

BrazenNL.9857

Mass Effect’s Asari dodge pls.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Please no. In addition to making fighting players in PvP/WvW even less intuitive to get into than it is already (multiple different ways to show the exact same thing as well as having to learn which effect is a does-something-on-dodge trait that might actually matter, and which is just useless fluff), the last thing this game needs in general is more effects. Especially on a mundane thing like dodging.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I actually would like this. Always thought a shroud roll look on Necromancer would be amazing, actually.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

lolAirborne.8496

Please no. In addition to making fighting players in PvP/WvW even less intuitive to get into than it is already (multiple different ways to show the exact same thing as well as having to learn which effect is a does-something-on-dodge trait that might actually matter, and which is just useless fluff), the last thing this game needs in general is more effects. Especially on a mundane thing like dodging.

It’s actually ANet’s intention for you to pay attention to effects such as that. Their whole gameplay style is based on not looking at UI, but instead, the players/mobs around you. So it’s actually reinforcing that very principle.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I like the idea of more telegraphed dodges. It is probably the only way to make a player feel cool while still technically nerfing them.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

LameFox.6349

It’s actually ANet’s intention for you to pay attention to effects such as that. Their whole gameplay style is based on not looking at UI, but instead, the players/mobs around you. So it’s actually reinforcing that very principle.

Saturating things with an excess of visual effects makes that harder, not easier. You would have them take one action and make it look like 9 different things even though the action itself is unchanged. Not only does that mean more animations for players to learn in order to know what is going on when a single one would have been suitable, but it adds to the ridiculous number of other animations both meaningful and not meaningful (like armour/weapon skin effects) that are happening all the time.

If they want us to play by looking at mobs and other players, the last thing they should do is make it like looking out for certain needles in a stack of other needles.

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

Saturating things with an excess of visual effects makes that harder, not easier. You would have them take one action and make it look like 9 different things even though the action itself is unchanged. Not only does that mean more animations for players to learn in order to know what is going on when a single one would have been suitable, but it adds to the ridiculous number of other animations both meaningful and not meaningful (like armour/weapon skin effects) that are happening all the time.

If they want us to play by looking at mobs and other players, the last thing they should do is make it like looking out for certain needles in a stack of other needles.

That’s why they added a special feature just for people like you who would like to have an easier time tracking other players movesets. The option to use standard character models for enemy players.

With those switched on, it makes the tells easier to see, it makes it easier to identify what class you’re fighting, it reduces the visual wonkiness resulting from asura and norn having the same hitboxes and it kills the extraneous effects from glowing gear and weapons to minimize distractions. So if it’s that big a concern, then perhaps the standard models should keep a standard dodge animation as well. Basically, that problem you just described has been essentially solved already.

Personally recognizing a unique dodge doesn’t sound difficult at all to me. In fact, It gives me one more way to tell what someone’s class is if I don’t have them targeted and they’re not using an obvious skill.

LameFox.6349

TBH I consider standard player models a band-aid fix for what turned out to be a worse design choice than they originally expected. Different player races and various armour/weapon skins are not inherently incompatible with the ability to see what is happening, if they avoid excess. Which is exactly why I would like them to avoid excess. I don’t want to have to make the game ugly to be able to play it in the way it was designed, especially not for the sake of things that don’t really add much in the first place.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I believe there are ways at least in PvP to standardise the player models so it wouldn’t bother you too much.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I agree with the OP, it’s always bothered me that thief has an on-dodge visual effect but no other classes do

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

Ranger has a lot of animal themes in his animations: snake, bees and a bear. So while dodging some animal should also appear like leaping panther or deer/stag.

By the way, it would be nice to see some animal themed utility skills like summoning a herd of stags running along and knocking down enemies on their way.

(edited by Assic.2746)