Unique item procs

Unique item procs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mooty.4560

mooty.4560

Something I enjoyed about LOTRO and even GW1 to some extent were items with unique stat distributions or items that trade stats for unusual procs.

GW1 tries very hard to be equipment balanced through-out both PvE and PvP with the trade-off being powerful PvE only skills, but there are some items with unique bonuses that can not be assembled with parts via the PvP-only character system. You can acquire them in PvE and then use those items to great effect for builds where minutiae are important. For instance the famous grim cesta with -50 health, a non-repeatable quest reward from an early part of the game where developers seemed more intent on experimenting with equipment. The cesta makes 55 monking (a common farming build) possible.

LOTRO has items with outright statistical trade-offs for unique procs. One such proc that comes to mind is a ring that had a stacking critical buff that triggers so often on hit. There are several though, with many of the procs coming from items created by developers early on—not unlike GW1.

I would much prefer something like LOTRO has where the procs function like late rune set bonuses (4th & 6th piece). You could have an additional might proc on damage or maybe a small heal.

I would envision this as being a PvE only change and I realize that would extend into WvW. That may not actually be a huge problem but if it’s any consolation I would prefer WvW share sPvP’s restrictions and equipment system anyhow. However, that debate is another can of worms I’d rather not indulge in.