Unlock waypoint for alts (after 100% map)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vashoom.8512

Vashoom.8512

When you have earned the 100% Map Completion Medal it would be useful if all waypoints are unlocked for any other characters you have, so you don’t have to spend so much time running around again to complete all the content.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but getting 100% map completion on multiple character without waypoints unlocked (or mounts) doesn’t sound so appealing to me.

I understand they grant bonus exp for discovering them but I’m sure the clever people at anet hq can think of something to balance this.

I strongly believe this would not only promote playing through the game more than once with more characters, but also for those who aren’t interested in legendary weapon crafting another reason to get 100% world completion.

Progress blocking bugs are top priority, but not all bugs are so easy to fix as others, be cool :)

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I like that idea. I think it would be enough if at least one waypoint in each zone was unlocked. I’m mostly playing together with my friend and because we got different zones dicovered with different chars each day starts with checking out several chars until we found two matching ones to play together. The other alternative is that one of us has to run through some zones until he reaches the other one.

So often enough one of us only plays with his/her main because it’s most comfortable but that’s not really helpfull when it comes to discovering with an alt.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I’d rather they unlock all hearts for subsequent characters.

My reasoning is that originally hearts were not included in the GW2 design. The developers planned a world that was based on dynamic events. In early testing, however, they found that players conditioned by the traditional quest system entered the game and were quickly confused about what they were supposed to do. So they added hearts, to pull people into maps so they could then encounter DEs.

So if hearts are a hand-holding transition from the traditional quest model, I’d love to play the game closer to originally intended on subsequent characters.

I’d leave waypoints unlocked, though, so new characters actually have to travel through zones for the first time on their way to completion, instead of just skipping across. This game needs more reasons for people to actually be travelling through the world, not fewer.

Given my choice, I’d eliminate 2/3rds of the waypoints from the game entirely and give us non-combat, automatic dismiss indoors and in cities, 60% speed boost mounts.

Then veteran players could be riding across Tyria doing their fifth world completion.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

This makes no sense.

How do those other characters know information just because someone else learned of it?

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I like the exp you get from discovering these things….and I love the hearts. I’d rather not have these things account bound. Completing maps on my alts gives me more time to learn how to play them and learn new things about them.

I wish there were hearts in Orr and Southsun too >.>

Gibson.4036

This makes no sense.

How do those other characters know information just because someone else learned of it?

I don’t think anyone’s asking from an immersion viewpoint. They’re asking from a gameplay viewpoint.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

This makes no sense.

I don’t think anyone’s asking from an immersion viewpoint. They’re asking from a gameplay veiewpoint.

Laziness viewpoint.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I would be OK with this. Just the waypoints of course. So when a level 1 char looks at the map it is still completely unexplored but there are WPs selectable all over.

I’m OK with them not doing it as well, but would be a decent QoL improvement.

From an immersion/RP standpoint: what is actually happening when you discover a WP? Is your soul somehow being attuned to it or is it just saving coordinates/location for you to access later. If the latter, there would be no immersion breaking if your other characters gained access: would be akin to you giving a list of all the coordinates to your buddy and now he has them (would have to imagine this taking place sight unseen). If you’re really into RP. Have they ever explained just how the waypoints work? Lore-wise that is.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Gibson.4036

This makes no sense.

I don’t think anyone’s asking from an immersion viewpoint. They’re asking from a gameplay veiewpoint.

Laziness viewpoint.

You’re right. This terrible, welfare-gamer generation!

In fact, running near waypoints to unlock them is awfully lazy, too. ArenaNet should implement a lengthy, detailed quest chain that needs to be accomplished for every single waypoint in which your character has to attend one of the Asura Colleges, develop plans for a gate, gather the materials to build it, engage in research and development, and then finally construct the gate.

That’d show this lazy generation how a game should be!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

This makes no sense.

Laziness viewpoint.

In fact, running near waypoints to unlock them is awfully lazy, too. ArenaNet should implement a lengthy, detailed quest chain that needs to be accomplished for every single waypoint in which your character has to attend one of the Asura Colleges, develop plans for a gate, gather the materials to build it, engage in research and development, and then finally construct the gate.

OOh! Maybe we can bring back how map completion was done in Gw1 too! Can’t skip cutscenes because you’ll miss some percentages of the map you won’t get back, need to scrape every corner of map to get that last .01% of the map unlocked.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Since you need Gift of Exploration to make legendary weapons I don’t think they would change this.

Pirlipat.2479

This makes no sense.

Laziness viewpoint.

Sweety, I’m playing PC-games since 1994, don’t exagerate. I think I explained why I would like that idea. As for the immersive point – why shouldn’t the characters of my account be able to leave notes about the whereabouts of waypoints if they share an entire bank?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Since you need Gift of Exploration to make legendary weapons I don’t think they would change this.

Exploration requires the hearts, POI, SPs, etc. I think OP is saying just the waypoints, which would be irrelevant for exploration since you would still have to actually explore those maps.

Nobody is saying that once you hit 100% completion all of your other characters should get 100% completion. That would conflict with the Gifts of Exploration process, like you said.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Gibson.4036

Sweety, I’m playing PC-games since 1994, don’t exagerate. I think I explained why I would like that idea. As for the immersive point – why shouldn’t the characters of my account be able to leave notes about the whereabouts of waypoints if they share an entire bank?

Sorry, I completely failed to include <sarcasm> tags. Hence the exaggeration. I was poking fun at the “laziness!” reaction, not agreeing with it.

Pirlipat.2479

oh ok, just stumbled into the sarcasm trap

Edit: btw if you had to build those waypoints your other chars can use, I’d indeed love that idea too.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

This makes no sense.

Laziness viewpoint.

Those notes (if you want to play immersion part) would only show those waypoints grayed out so you can get to them yourselves. Because you know they’re there from notes.

Pirlipat.2479

That’s not necessarily true. When they added new waypoints in Orr I had them also already discovered without having been there because I had the map 100%.

But I think it futile to discuss the way those waypoints work if we are talking about an idea. There is quite alot of things which are not entirely immersive and which will force you to think out an explanation.

Kumu Honua.2751

No you didn’t. They did not retroactively add them. You didn’t lose 100% complete, but you didn’t have those waypoints.

Posted by: Flower Lyssa.8012

Flower Lyssa.8012

This makes no sense.

Laziness viewpoint.

Those notes (if you want to play immersion part) would only show those waypoints grayed out so you can get to them yourselves. Because you know they’re there from notes.

Ooh, I like that! I want to get the XP from unlocking the waypoints, but being able to see where they are would make it easier on my lower level alts when I decide whether to do an event/heart or explore just enough to get the closest waypoint.

Pirlipat.2479

No you didn’t. They did not retroactively add them. You didn’t lose 100% complete, but you didn’t have those waypoints.

•Uncontested waypoints have been added to Cursed Shore and Straits of Devastation. Players that have already achieved map completion will retain it without having to discover these new waypoints.

^^ Can’t remember tbh, but I thought they were just there … anyway I think I explained enough why I personally would like to have at least one WP per map to travel.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Kumu Honua.2751

Right. You retained 100% map completion. You did NOT have the waypoints.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

OOh! Maybe we can bring back how map completion was done in Gw1 too! Can’t skip cutscenes because you’ll miss some percentages of the map you won’t get back, need to scrape every corner of map to get that last .01% of the map unlocked.

Well, I preferred the Prophecies way. I had 100% map completion there without even setting foot in Grenth’s Footprint :P You had that much leeway!

Posted by: Vashoom.8512

Vashoom.8512

yes even this would be massively helpful, instead of having to keep alt-tabbing to a map website to find where the waypoints are.

or as Pirlipat.2479 suggests, at least one waypoint per map (or maybe an asura gate to each zone??? if you want immersion)

Progress blocking bugs are top priority, but not all bugs are so easy to fix as others, be cool :)