Unlocking mounts and PoF Story

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Q:

Likely only answerable by Anet but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

• The raptor mount is obviously unlocked by the first story instance but what about the other three?
  • Can we immediately go to where they are in PoF or will we be restricted from doing so in some way initially?

Essentially what I’m wanting it to be able to make a beeline to where the others are and obtained them right away so that my exploration in maps isn’t hindered because I lack them nor do I spend time trying to get somewhere which actually requires one of those mounts.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

A:

Here’s some information about how Mounts are unlocked:

GamesBeat: How do players earn mounts?

Cronacher: Players earn mounts by completing special renown hearts known as mount camps. The first one that you’ll encounter is inside the very first story step which brings you to Crystal Oasis. After that, you’ll find them through the world as you play through Path of Fire. It was important to us to make sure that mounts were integrated into the entire expansion and feel like a natural progression as you play through. The mount camp will let you try the mount and get some experience with it, culminating with unlocking a permanent version for your personal use. When you unlock the mount, you’ll also unlock its mastery track which provides you with a mechanism to unlock upgrades for the mount.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/29/guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-designer-explains-why-their-mounts-stand-out-in-the-mmo-crowd/

It sounds like only the first one is encased in the Story. =)

Posted by: Asur.9178

Asur.9178

They are locked behind mastery, after your first encounter using one.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m guessing they are gated by the Story, but…maybe the Masteries work like they did in Heart of Thorns, rather than more like Living World Season 3.

Ayrilana.1396

Those are just the extra abilities and such similar to what you gain from the raptor tree after you obtain the raptor in that story instance.

What I’m referring to is the unlocking of the other mounts to your account so that you can freely ride them just like the raptor.

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

What I’m referring to is the unlocking of the other mounts to your account so that you can freely ride them just like the raptor.

any further mounts will also be unlocked throughout the story just like it did with the raptor mount.

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

More than likely through the story, which I really don’t have a problem with.

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

ikr? finally something good that is not gated behind mastery points and stuff :> i am content with getting the other 3 mounts by just playing the story ^^

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

This.

Ayrilana.1396

Mount camps are special renowned hearts in the open world where you can try out a mount, use its movement ability, and unlock it when you complete the heart.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6x8y4u/mounts_guild_chat_livestream_coverage/

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure Mounts will be unlocked through the Story; unless the Mount Renown Hearts will only be accessible (first) through the Story.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m not sure Mounts will be unlocked through the Story; unless the Mount Renown Hearts will only be accessible (first) through the Story.

It was called out as in the open world so I would assume that the other three are independent of the story.

Edit:

I’ll add onto this post rather than make a new one.

The heart event in the first story instance is likely just an introduction to the open world ones. Anet has a habit of doing that sort of thing.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That’s what I would guess, as well.

Still, no telling if we open the other maps through Story, as in Living World, or just walk through portals as in the past.

Ayrilana.1396

That’s what I would guess, as well.

Still, no telling if we open the other maps through Story, as in Living World, or just walk through portals as in the past.

Someone found a portal to the northern map and I saw where the portals would likely be for the others. Well all but one of them which is isolated from the rest. It could be like TD→DS where the portal doesn’t neatly line up.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Cool. Sounds like Mount Renown Hearts are the method. =)

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

This seems to indicate that, unlike gliding, each character will need to unlock each mount separately. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think so. When you unlock a Mount, you unlock the corresponding Mount Mastery, and Masteries are account-wide.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

During the Demos, you unlocked it on just one character; after that, any other characters can use it.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Ok, good to hear! Never tried more than one character in the demo :p