Unofficial Leveling Servers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

Prior to release Tarnished Coast was agreed to be the unofficial US RP server. It makes sense for players with similar goals to play on the same server. Now that most zones, particularly the mid-level ones, are so sparsly populated, leveling is mainly done without much in the way of DE chains.

Once guesting gets implemented we can remedy that. Let’s select a US and a EU server specifically for leveling. At any time of day we can hop on that server and we’ll find zones full of people so we get to enjoy leveling with DEs.

For US, I suggest Gate of Madness, but only because that’s the server I’m on. I’m open to any other server.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

Posted by: Broken Angel.4956

Broken Angel.4956

No one gonna use “leveling servers”
RP servers make sense. Leveling doesnt.
What about all other servers then? Are they just gonna be empty because no one levels and no 1 RPs there?

Eviator.9746

No one gonna use “leveling servers”
RP servers make sense. Leveling doesnt.
What about all other servers then? Are they just gonna be empty because no one levels and no 1 RPs there?

My server is already empty. Many other threads say the same about many other servers. It does make sense for leveling, in my opinion. Empty zones don’t have many DEs, and that slows down leveling. That’s why it makes sense. Please elaborate as to why it doesn’t make sense.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

Despite what you think you see, no server is empty. If it was empty ANet would shut it down.

Your server may have a smaller population but I repeat it is not empty.

Until they start up guesting you have options:

1. Find out what times your server is busy and play during those times.
2. Find a few friends who play at the same time as you and are similar levels as you and group up.
3. Join a large guild that has people online, when you are online.
4. Switch servers to one that is more populated at similar times you play.

Eviator.9746

Despite what you think you see, no server is empty. If it was empty ANet would shut it down.

Thanks Amelia.

Fair enough. Now what about after guesting? We don’t need to self-limit the usefulness of guesting. I really want to know why my idea is bad, and why nobody is interested. If you’re level 80 and you haven’t spent much time lately in middle-zones, you may not understand.

Posted by: Cerulean.5142

Cerulean.5142

First off, there really doesnt need to be any official or unofficial leveling server. If you do that why not make an unofficial crafting server or unofficial armorsmithing server (see where I am going?).

I am sure some day Anet will merge servers, most likely not for a few more months. Until then, if you feel your server just doesnt have enough people and until they get guesting fixed, then you need to transfer to another server.

DirtyDeeds.6075

Fair enough. Now what about after guesting? We don’t need to self-limit the usefulness of guesting. I really want to know why my idea is bad, and why nobody is interested. If you’re level 80 and you haven’t spent much time lately in middle-zones, you may not understand.

I didn’t say your idea was a bad one. Others have stated why they thought is wasn’t a particularly good one.

I have 8 slots with many Alts and am questing a lot in middle level zones. I only have 1x level 80. Most are mid 20-high 40’s.

I don’t see a need for your suggestion because most zones on my server aren’t close to being empty.

After guesting there shouldn’t be a problem, so I only offered suggestions to help your low population server problem.

It appears to me you don’t want help with your problem but rather just want people to accept your idea. If that is the case I wouldn’t utilize a designated leveling server because on my server we don’t have that need.

Posted by: Rhah.9437

Rhah.9437

I wish there was an option to “join” an overflow instance of a zone. It is rather sad when you are on a lowbie character and your zone is almost empty.

Eviator.9746

First off, there really doesnt need to be any official or unofficial leveling server. If you do that why not make an unofficial crafting server or unofficial armorsmithing server (see where I am going?).

Not really. You don’t gain any benefit to crafting by having a more populated server. But DEs are hard to find when there is less population.

After guesting there shouldn’t be a problem, so I only offered suggestions to help your low population server problem.

It appears to me you don’t want help with your problem but rather just want people to accept your idea. If that is the case I wouldn’t utilize a designated leveling server because on my server we don’t have that need.

Perhaps you’re right. I thought it would be a widely accepted idea and I’m wrong about that, I guess, because low population servers aren’t a problem for many.

So after guesting turns on, do you have a suggestion for a server that will have a higher population for alt-leveling? Because my server isn’t it.

DirtyDeeds.6075

Not really. You don’t gain any benefit to crafting by having a more populated server. But DEs are hard to find when there is less population.

Perhaps you’re right. I thought it would be a widely accepted idea and I’m wrong about that, I guess, because low population servers aren’t a problem for many.

So after guesting turns on, do you have a suggestion for a server that will have a higher population for alt-leveling? Because my server isn’t it.

The benefit to having a crafting server that is more populated would be more customers to buy the stuff you are crafting. The flip side is that you would also likely have more competition crafting those items.

I looked at your server and my server (Sorrows Furnace) and they are both listed as high atm. I would suggest you ask around on forums or pay attention to the server populations during the times you play to pick one that is likely busier.

I put my Guardian into a guild that does regular dungeon runs each evening. It seems to work for him and he is leveling at a nice steady pace. The guild is large enough that it has mostly different people each night. That eliminated the always the same people each night have to wait on someone to get going on time problems.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t see a need for it.

I’m on a high population server (Desolation) but have been levelling very slowly so I spend all my time in low level zones (1-15 mainly, up to 25-35 or whatever it is) and I agree there are a lot fewer people than there were at launch, but it’s hardly empty. I always see at least a few other people running around and they tend to come together for events.

I do think time of day makes a big difference though. I got kind of lucky there, I happened to get a permenant 9-5:30 job in real life a few months before GW2 came out, so I knew I was going to be playing mainly during peak times for my time zone. So I made sure to find a server with a lot of other UK players, which pretty much guarenteed me plenty of people on.

Although when I have been on at odd times, like a few weeks ago when I was home sick and decided to hang around Queensdale waiting for the Shadow Behemoth (which never showed up) I was still seeing other players on a regular basis, even at odd times.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Some events don’t scale that well for 1-player even though they don’t have the [Group Event] tag on them, and even if they did, quite frankly they’re much more fun to do when other players are helping out.

I think Arenanet should use their overflow server system to implement the opposite in low-population zones. If a zone of your server is too empty, you get the option to use another server where every other server with population issues can send their players to. That way, there should always be a lot of people to do events with. (Of course there needs to be a balance too, those event zergs that happened at release were just as kittenoloing events.)

This is basically the solution that Blizzard devised for World of Warcraft in their lastest expansion and it works very well. (Even in Silithus I see other people now!)

Eviator.9746

Peak time is family time for me. Yes I realize that is not ANet’s fault. I know many people know and see the problem, and that is why I’m hoping the community can come up with a solution. The suggestion of Rhah and Bearhugger will work best, but I’m sure that’s not high on their todo list.