Unpopular Opinions

Unpopular Opinions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

Let’s play a game of unpopular opinions.

-Skyhammer is a great and fun map
-Scarlet was a great villain
-Season 1 was much better than Season 2
-WvW should be about tactical thinking, not who has the bigger blob
-Dungeons should be fully cleared in order to receive credit for them
-Commanders should have to go through an IQ test before they are able to buy their tag
-WvW points should be defended
-Zerkers are a liability

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

-This is a witty thread with a dose of good humor

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: TGI FRIDAY.6275

TGI FRIDAY.6275

-Bunking is just going afk
-The guy above is totally not a buzzkill

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I’ll play!

I really do think Season 1 was better because:
1. It was significantly longer.
2. The added length led to many more skins (too many backpacks though), items, and achievement points.
3. The Achievements were more varied, more extensive, and more interactive.
4. With much of the content on the open world, many of the updates had a more epic feel to them like the Marionette, the finale weeks in Lion’s Arch, the Toxic Tower, and even Scarlet’s hourly invasions.

Season 2 just seems like a continuation of the personal story in that everything is designed to be quietly and easily solo’d. I feel the story of season 2 has been fine, it’s just been kind of bland with most of it being instanced.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have to agree that, for me, Season One was much superior to Season Two. I am sad that the Living Story has become little but short, small instances.

Hoping Heart of Thorns is more satisfactory. I am looking forward to the expansion.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

WvW is about tactical ability sometimes and not who has the slightly bigger blob. Not that servers have any incentives to win recently.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Apolus.3157

Apolus.3157

But hey, WvW points should be defended. Blob vs Blob objective rotation is nonsense.
I hope they fix WvW with the expansion.
And I like skyhammer!
You can judge me now.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It is! Sometimes … it makes for great entertainment on mumble when your friends are playing in it. :P

uh …

It can be quite satisfying to wipe a bigger blob with a smaller one.

Mostly cleared maybe. I still remember vanquishing in GW1. Although chasing down the one remaining patrolling enemy should be less of an issue in GW2 since the dungeons are relatively tiny.

-Zerkers are a liability

Certainly can be if played by someone not capable of it.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

-Politicians are easy to get along with
-It’s best to walk the streets with a fist full of dollar bills visible for all to see
-Space ships aren’t cool
-Tzark’s plan is just stupid and won’t work
-Pain is enjoyable
-Trahearne helped us finish personal story
-Sliced bread was a terrible idea

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

WvW is about tactical ability sometimes and not who has the slightly bigger blob. Not that servers have any incentives to win recently.

As someone that has given up on WvW and has been on TC since launch, I disagree.
I quit because the commanders refuse to use tactics and simply push their blobs into the other. I even called this out earlier this week in map chat and people told me(I’m not making this up) “tactics are boring. this is much more fun”

We then proceeded to lose Stonemist Castle.

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

But hey, WvW points should be defended. Blob vs Blob objective rotation is nonsense.
I hope they fix WvW with the expansion.
And I like skyhammer!
You can judge me now.

I’m judging you. And I like you.
You’re a cool person.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

This game should never have dueling.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

But this is Unpopular Opinions.
Not popular opinions lol.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Mostly cleared maybe. I still remember vanquishing in GW1. Although chasing down the one remaining patrolling enemy should be less of an issue in GW2 since the dungeons are relatively tiny.

Except arah where it is impossible to clear all enemies without doing something not intended by devs.

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

Except arah where it is impossible to clear all enemies without doing something not intended by devs.

How is it impossible?
Hard work doesn’t mean impossible lol

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Scarlet was good enough to get many knickers in a twist so win in that respect. She was a sociopath with a conscience, knew mordi could control the silvari and woke him up early to give the world a chance.
was she the greatest no, but for mmorpg good enough.
I agree with above that s1 was more attractive to me. With the addition that the lack of permanent content lead to living world instead of static world we have now.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Season one was actually much better than two. It had the molten facility and aetherblade hideout instances, large overland events (as much as i hate zerging, it made people do things together more than S2).

I might be biased because i generally dislike this whole Mordremoth thing. Whatever.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Agreed.

Agreed.

I think they’re both great.

Agreed. Sometimes blobbing is a legitimate effort, but when it becomes the “im too lazy/tired/bored lol” option, meh. Not sure that can be fixed though.

People would have to en masse share my sentiments. They don’t.

Is there any other way this works? Do you mean not skipping mobs, etc?

-Commanders should have to go through an IQ test before they are able to buy their tag

Only if non-commanders can pass a basic “how to competently play this game” test. Otherwise, nah.

A commander tag doesn’t mean anything more than a “rally to me” point of interest. I would agree that someone who knows how to lead is a blessing though.

People like that are becoming rare.

You can’t be a good leader if you cause everyone to hate you (majority of leaders), and you’re not a leader period if you have everyone babying and kissing your kitten as you vet decisions amongst your peers.

The hated mediocre leader is more preferable. An exceptional leader is very rare indeed. But a tag is just a tag.

A tag can facilitate strategy. That depends entirely on the individual however. A tag isn’t necessary for that and for the right person, I’m sure they’ll end up with one.

-WvW points should be defended

Agreed, and kitten those who disagree.

-Zerkers are a liability

Depends on the zerker. A well played zerker is a boon, not a liability. But not everyone should run zerker. Everyone should have a secondary more defensive set.

20-slot invisible bags exist for a reason.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I think the problem with the commanders would be that some of these commanders are incredibly knowledgeable, but only about one specific thing. Maybe this guy with a shiny red tag knows exactly which champ will spawn and at which time in Cursed Shore for chest farming! But is functionally kittened everywhere else. Maybe his strategy for Vinewrath would be to scramble about the map waiting for the champs to spawn. Then the Vinewrath sputters about all alone in his cave while everyone misses the event. But it’s ok, because he’s a commander and apparently we absolutely need a commander on a map to function.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

How is it impossible?

It should be pretty obvious if you have done the dungeon even once. There are enemies which constantly respawn.

lol

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

How is it impossible?

It should be pretty obvious if you have done the dungeon even once. There are enemies which constantly respawn.

lol

That’s easy to fix, they just need to add some respawn devices that players need to destroy to stop them from respawing!

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I’m not sure if this game needs more dredge clown carts.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

1. Combat in GW2 is boring and unresponsive most of the time. It’s fast which is fun, but there is way too much auto-attack spam.

2. I really prefer if gathering is sort of contested. If everyone has their own nodes, it takes away emotions (be it satisfaction to get there first or disappointment, when you are too late). Emotions are good.

3. Waypoints are lame. They make the world feel terribly small. I’d prefer mounts.

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

1. Combat in GW2 is boring and unresponsive most of the time. It’s fast which is fun, but there is way too much auto-attack spam.

2. I really prefer if gathering is sort of contested. If everyone has their own nodes, it takes away emotions (be it satisfaction to get there first or disappointment, when you are too late). Emotions are good.

3. Waypoints are lame. They make the world feel terribly small. I’d prefer mounts.

People still play with auto attack on? Gross.

Also I look at #1 skills as like…a basic sword swing. Makes it seem more realistic in a way.

Also I thought of another one.

- I really really really really really like the new trait system.
It’s fantastic and I honestly don’t get the hate.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

- necromancer is poorly designed garbage and should be completly overhauled
- UI in this game is worthy of multiple facepalms
- RNG in this game is purposely designed to funel players into gem shop
- plated underwear is not an armor and should has worst defensive stats than real armor or not exist at all
- storry in this game is bad (giant ancient dragons again… Cataclysm or Skyrim anyone?, Power Rangers, Trahearne… I would rather follow Mario and Luigi into battle than him).

:)

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

- plated underwear is not an armor and should has worst defensive stats than real armor or not exist at all
- storry in this game is bad (giant ancient dragons again… Cataclysm or Skyrim anyone?, Power Rangers, Trahearne… I would rather follow Mario and Luigi into battle than him).

Lol the Elder Dragons existed before both of those games.
These go back to 2006-7.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I’ll play!

I really do think Season 1 was better because:
1. It was significantly longer.
2. The added length led to many more skins (too many backpacks though), items, and achievement points.
3. The Achievements were more varied, more extensive, and more interactive.
4. With much of the content on the open world, many of the updates had a more epic feel to them like the Marionette, the finale weeks in Lion’s Arch, the Toxic Tower, and even Scarlet’s hourly invasions.

Season 2 just seems like a continuation of the personal story in that everything is designed to be quietly and easily solo’d. I feel the story of season 2 has been fine, it’s just been kind of bland with most of it being instanced.

And : Season 1 felt like a living world .. it changed the world. In Season 2 all we have
are some tendrils and destroyed WPs .. and everything else just happens in some
kind of parallel universe.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Unpopular Opinions

Brahmincorle.1264

These go back to 2006-7.

This is not my point… Guildwars 2 came out in 2012, Skyrim in 2011 and Cataclysm in 2010 – my point is if you choose to sell dragons in a market full of dragons, you better have the best dragons out there…. well we got Zaithan lol. The Vigil is pretty much same thing as the Argent Down, zaithan is basically Lich king and they slaped this copypasta on another Deathwing/Alduin… I bet the other dragons will be as boring as this one. The whole storry has the been there done that feeling. They could save it by stellar storytelling, grim world where NPCs act as if they live in world of impending doom… I mean common!

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

These go back to 2006-7.

This is not my point… Guildwars 2 came out in 2012, Skyrim in 2011 and Cataclysm in 2010 – my point is if you choose to sell dragons in a market full of dragons, you better have the best dragons out there…. well we got Zaithan lol. The Vigil is pretty much same thing as the Argent Down, zaithan is basically Lich king and they slaped this copypasta on another Deathwing/Alduin… I bet the other dragons will be as boring as this one. The whole storry has the been there done that feeling. They could save it by stellar storytelling, grim world where NPCs act as if they live in world of impending doom… I mean common!

But Guild Wars 2 was in development longer than those were…
They started the story and developing the game way before they even released that expac and Skyrim.
I don’t think you get the point.
Also the Elder Dragons kitten all over Lootwing and Alduin. Boring dragons are boring.
ED’s are at least interesting. I got goosebumps seeing Zhaitan for the first time. Not to mention the hell we had to go through to get to him. It felt like an actual war.

Unpopular Opinions

Brahmincorle.1264

These go back to 2006-7.

They started the story and developing the game way before they even released that expac and Skyrim.
Also the Elder Dragons kitten all over Lootwing and Alduin. Boring dragons are boring.
ED’s are at least interesting. I got goosebumps seeing Zhaitan for the first time. Not to mention the hell we had to go through to get to him. It felt like an actual war.

Well Skyrim was developed a long time before it was released, same goes for Cataclysm… this is how it works, there is no point in arguing about that. It takes time to make things.

I don’t agree with you at all about EDs there is nothing cool and unique about them (ok zaithatn had cool model and animations). I agree with you it was hell to get to Zaithan… because it was so boring and so bad I had to force myself to finish it. Following that green mesiah, listening (later skipping) to awful dialogues in order to shoot from stationary cannon at stationary dragon…. I get goosebumps when I imagine doing it again.

(btw human personal stories are very good, I wish rest of the story was like that).

To avoid any possible flame war this thread is about personal opinions and this is my personal opinion. There is no point in arguing with me or anyone about these opinions.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Keneth.6490

Keneth.6490

She was a sociopath with a conscience

There’s no such thing as a sociopath with a conscience. If you have a conscience and are acting out, you’re not a sociopath, you’re just a ponce.

She woke [Mordremoth] up early to give the world a chance.

I thought it was just Mordremoth whispering in her mind constantly, though I admit I paid little attention to the justifications introduced in S2 since it was too late to fix things at that point.

Scarlet was good enough to get many knickers in a twist so win in that respect.

We didn’t hate scarlet because she was a villain, we hated her because she was a poorly-designed character.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

She was a sociopath with a conscience

There’s no such thing as a sociopath with a conscience. If you have a conscience and are acting out, you’re not a sociopath, you’re just a ponce.

She woke [Mordremoth] up early to give the world a chance.

I thought it was just Mordremoth whispering in her mind constantly, though I admit I paid little attention to the justifications introduced in S2 since it was too late to fix things at that point.

Scarlet was good enough to get many knickers in a twist so win in that respect.

We didn’t hate scarlet because she was a villain, we hated her because she was a poorly-designed character.

as long as we are satisfied we can’t argue now can we.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I thought this was unpopular opinions.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

i wish the queen is a king instead

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Unpopular Opinions

Unloveableone.6082

I thought this was unpopular opinions.

most people agree with this though.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

I’m completely against this, but if Anet restricts a major portion of the content behind some kind of soft gear check (say, zerkers or ascended), I’m extremely curious to see the feedback.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

These go back to 2006-7.

Well Skyrim was developed a long time before it was released, same goes for Cataclysm… this is how it works, there is no point in arguing about that. It takes time to make things.

I don’t agree with you at all about EDs there is nothing cool and unique about them (ok zaithatn had cool model and animations). I agree with you it was hell to get to Zaithan… because it was so boring and so bad I had to force myself to finish it. Following that green mesiah, listening (later skipping) to awful dialogues in order to shoot from stationary cannon at stationary dragon…. I get goosebumps when I imagine doing it again.

(btw human personal stories are very good, I wish rest of the story was like that).

To avoid any possible flame war this thread is about personal opinions and this is my personal opinion. There is no point in arguing with me or anyone about these opinions.

I think that you’re missing the point. These dragons didn’t exist in Guild Wars 2 as part of development. They existed in Guild Wars 1 years before Skyrim started being developed. In other words the seeds of the story were already there.

That everything came out dragons after sucks. But if you’re building a game around something you’ve been setting up for since pretty much the beginning…

Take the story of Svanir, the Norn bear. That was in Guild Wars 1. That was released when Eye of the North was released. He was corrupted by dragon magic. The story was already being told long before they even started programming Skyrim. Long before they started programming Rift (which also had dragons).

So I’m not sure how they’d go back and rewrite the entire story they started developing ages ago. That game was released in 2007. Which meant that they were planning it for the last ten years at least.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

These go back to 2006-7.

Although Zhaitan was more “generic” (undead are hardly original), Mordremoth looks unique.

So is Kralkatorik and Jormag. EDs are NOT only Zhaitan, who is probably the most unoriginal and uninspired of the lot.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Actual opinions of mine:

• Skyhammer is the one enjoyable map in a pool of boring drudgery in a really bad game mode. If more maps were like it, and the objective actually meant something, then I might enjoy sPvP more.
  • WvW is too fast and too combat-centric. Having a keep should be something you can rely on for a while, as siegeing it would be a protracted effort by a substantial amount of attackers (but so would be countering their siege).
  • WvW maps are much too small. Everything needs to be way further apart so that if you’re on one end and another gets attacked, your chances of intervening are very low.
  • Scarlet Briar was a pretty cool NPC concept.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Unpopular Opinions

Brahmincorle.1264

These go back to 2006-7.

I think that you’re missing the point. These dragons didn’t exist in Guild Wars 2 as part of development. They existed in Guild Wars 1 years before Skyrim started being developed. In other words the seeds of the story were already there.

That everything came out dragons after sucks. But if you’re building a game around something you’ve been setting up for since pretty much the beginning…

Take the story of Svanir, the Norn bear. That was in Guild Wars 1. That was released when Eye of the North was released. He was corrupted by dragon magic. The story was already being told long before they even started programming Skyrim. Long before they started programming Rift (which also had dragons).

So I’m not sure how they’d go back and rewrite the entire story they started developing ages ago. That game was released in 2007. Which meant that they were planning it for the last ten years at least.

No im not missing the point, my problem with storry are not dragons per se (these are after all a staple of fantasy genre). My problem is how badly writen is storry of defeating one of them and the other one after season 1 and from what I have seen from season 2 doesn’t look good either. I seriously hope that the destruction of airship fleet was end of the Vigil Argent Down and none of The Avengers… I mean Destiny’s Edge who were there survived so they can come with something better.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

WoW is basically a better graphical version of GW2.

“the troll rate is big in this one…” LOL

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Oh oh oh! My turn my turn my turn!

-WoW is a superior game to GW2
-GW1 was a terrible game
-NEXON has no sway over GW2
-This game is going to fail because it’s not an exact copy of WoW with better graphics
-That quaggan backpack does not make you look fat
-quaggan are awesome
-Marjory and Kasmar are the ultimate poster children of the feminist movement
-Sylvari are evil, except Scarlet. She’s solid.
-The meta matters
-This game’s RNG is a good thing, and a sure way to get the most sought after items would kill this game because we shouldn’t all have the same opportunity to get those items

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’m completely against this, but if Anet restricts a major portion of the content behind some kind of soft gear check (say, zerkers or ascended), I’m extremely curious to see the feedback.

My feedback would be “are the devs really that stupid?”.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

*Zerging is not the only way to complete events
*No AOE at copper is a massive farce
*Zerker gear is not the only viable gear

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Hmmm unpopular opinions….

….. thinking …..

Oh!

*Anet knows what they are doing

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Logan is by far the most manly and courageous character in the history of gaming.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

- The requirement to enter ASC is level 35+ and 10k+ AP.
- You are not allowed to enter WvW aka PvPvE to get POI’s/Vistas/Skillpoints.
- The 1H-sword is the best weapon for the ranger-class.
- The spoon is a lie.
- The upcoming expansion will change the meta.
- You can only kill a Giganticus Lupicus, if at least half of his body is stuck inside a wall.
- I like the aetherblade-path.
- I like Arah’s fourth path.
- The warrior-class is the best class.
- PUGing is fun and relaxing.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

You can farm nearly anything in this game.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

The personal housing is great with craftable interactable furniture and RNG has an unending plethora pets which all seems to be the central concern of everyone here but me.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Unpopular Opinions

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

How about this:
— I liked the New Player Experience.

I liked having an arrow that pointed me to all the things I needed for map completion. Too bad the map completion was locked until level 15 or so, which did cause some confusion, because I wanted to check on my progress, but level 15 came fast enough. Also, at one point, I scratched my head when a skill point said “come back later” at level 4. However, aside from that, and skills being unlocked slowly (which I was perfectly happy with, since learning them all takes time), I didn’t experience any locks from the NPE. Starting a new character, many of the things that were locked for the first character were already unlocked right away (such as map completion). For the most part, you can do the things that are “unlocked” at level up before they are unlocked (with the exception of weapon/profession skills and some underwater). It’s more that the game explains that mechanic to you at that level.

— Largely, I think the NPE feels more restrictive in theory than it really is in practice.