Untapped Potential - Gem Store

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Now that the game has been out over a year, I figured I should speak up about some missed opportunities for ANet to get me to part with my precious $$$.

Town Clothes
There have been some good additions to shirts and hats/glasses/head pieces in the store, but the rest is a bit lacking. The cargo shorts are nice, but really, unless your default town clothes give you a normal pair of pants (like humans), there aren’t many options and there are even less for characters that want a dress. For shoes, the options are even worse. My sylvari has the option of leafy shoes, riding boots with spurs, or pirate boots and none of these match any of the hoodies or other shirts.

Tl;dr – The value of some of the shirts/hats is vastly reduced by a lack of pants/shoes to match

(Also, you should give cross-dressing options for characters. It may sound strange, but I can assure you, a lot of players will take advantage of this, whether it be out of a sincere desire to cross dress or simply for the lols)

Character Emotes
The closest we’ve gotten so far is the dance item. While I like this, there’s a lot of potential money to be made from roleplayers who just simply want to be more expressive. Hell, even non-roleplayers would probably like the option to /flex or /roar after killing a particularly tough foe.

Musical Instruments
The flute, bell, and horn are good starts, but let’s get a guitar, bass, and a drum set. Creating these items should b relatively simple since the mechanics are already created.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

The most unused potential in the gem store is the town clothes.

Why can’t we use them for our normal gear?

I’d buy the silly shirts and shorts to not have to wear a trench coat or a mini skirt.
Plus, killing a dragon wearing a top hat simply shows that you have class.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

I think the main issue with the untapped potential may have to do with sales figures, and I’m just guessing, so don’t quote me or ask for quotes … based off a lot of comments in various threads from folks who said they wouldn’t drop a dime on additional town clothes since you can’t wear them over your armor (ala GW1), I’m going to assume that many of the clothing options available go unsold. That, in turn, could demonstrate a lack of interest in them as a whole, hence a lack of further development of other clothing options. This would, obviously, be the wrong conclusion to draw from the lackluster sales, but I could see it being a contributing factor.

Personally, for myself, I’d buy multiple sets of different outfits if they weren’t restricted to town use only.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Yeah I’m still befuddled why they have yet to release armor sets on the BLTC other than the old 3 we have there.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Until I can combat in town clothes, ANet will never get my money for them.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I agree I recently made the suggestion that they add store weapon skins to match the armor sets they already have in the store. I thought it was odd I couldn’t buy or find weapons to match things like my magitech armor or the krytan armor set.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

only things I wanna buy atm are new dance books and emotes

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Don’t forget the monocle. Nothing says high society like a top hat and monocle.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

Until I can combat in town clothes, ANet will never get my money for them.

Ding Ding Ding… We have a winner.

+1 to that buddy.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

mojowalker.3798

^^ And a cane …

- Some random quote -

Dahkeus.8243

I think the main issue with the untapped potential may have to do with sales figures, and I’m just guessing, so don’t quote me or ask for quotes … based off a lot of comments in various threads from folks who said they wouldn’t drop a dime on additional town clothes since you can’t wear them over your armor (ala GW1), I’m going to assume that many of the clothing options available go unsold. That, in turn, could demonstrate a lack of interest in them as a whole, hence a lack of further development of other clothing options. This would, obviously, be the wrong conclusion to draw from the lackluster sales, but I could see it being a contributing factor.

Personally, for myself, I’d buy multiple sets of different outfits if they weren’t restricted to town use only.

I think part of the reason for low sales on a lot of town clothes is also that most of the stuff simply doesn’t match anything.

To ANet, it may look like people aren’t interested in the items, but it’s not necessarily a problem with the item if there’s just nothing that goes with it.

mojowalker.3798

True … but in in a good number of the threads I’ve seen concerning town clothes, and the armor sets available on the TP, the issues are are that you can’t wear the town clothes as armor and they don’t appear in a wardrobe once bought so they can be applied to multiple chars multiple times.

While cargo shorts may be one of the few legging options available and don’t coordinate with much, I think even these would sell more frequently if once they were purchased they appeared in an account-wide wardrobe and you could add them over your armor.

But to your point about additional town clothing, I’m all for it … I like most of the costumes from GW1 and owned almost all of ’em.

- Some random quote -

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

^^ And a cane …

diamond tipped no less

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Dahkeus.8243

True … but in in a good number of the threads I’ve seen concerning town clothes, and the armor sets available on the TP, the issues are are that you can’t wear the town clothes as armor and they don’t appear in a wardrobe once bought so they can be applied to multiple chars multiple times.

While cargo shorts may be one of the few legging options available and don’t coordinate with much, I think even these would sell more frequently if once they were purchased they appeared in an account-wide wardrobe and you could add them over your armor.

But to your point about additional town clothing, I’m all for it … I like most of the costumes from GW1 and owned almost all of ’em.

Well, the problem of that is that you run into the issue of armor types. Do Guardians get to charge into battle wearing cargo shorts and hoodies? If so, why not allow heavy armor classes to just transmog light armor?

I just don’t see it working, personally. .

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

and a waxed moustache

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Guild Wars 1 armor sets. I’ve said it a million times – I’ll keep saying it till we get it.
There’s no reason not to have them. Me and others would pay for it. Why isn’t it in yet?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Please give me a drumset o.o
If they make it so that there’s no cooldown on notes, AND you can play notes simultaneously, I will pay any amount of money. ANY.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

mojowalker.3798

Well, the problem of that is that you run into the issue of armor types. Do Guardians get to charge into battle wearing cargo shorts and hoodies? If so, why not allow heavy armor classes to just transmog light armor?

I just don’t see it working, personally. .

Actually, I’m a proponent of all armors being available to every class. The examples I’ve given of this before are what if I play a war who thinks he’s such a bad kitten that he doesn’t NEED armor and his big wonkin’ sword is enough? Or maybe I’m an ele that’s TERRIFIED of the idea of venturing into the great outdoors and want to hide inside a steel shell? Benefits/drawbacks could be worked into the mechanics of each. Obviously for a war to wear light-armor, he/she would lose a fair degree of toughness, but they’d also pick up faster endurance recharge. And vice-versa for the ele — more tougness in the steel shell, but maybe a detriment to precision because of the weight of the armor.

Anyway, back to point, I think there’s a TON of cash that could be made by gem store sales if there was a greater degree of flexibility for the items we can purchase.

- Some random quote -

mojowalker.3798

and a waxed moustache

And a diabolical laugh emote.

- Some random quote -

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Yeah I’m still befuddled why they have yet to release armor sets on the BLTC other than the old 3 we have there.

There are more than 3 armor sets on the TP. I think there are 9 right now.

I would really like to see those skins be added to the achievement bank, so they are reusable on the account, though.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

Its because all Anet cares for is metrics. They, as is obviously apparent, never ask the “why”.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

There are more than 3 armor sets on the TP. I think there are 9 right now.

I would really like to see those skins be added to the achievement bank, so they are reusable on the account, though.

I agree, but have to add that it would be even more awesome if they would give us a ward drove for our characters. There, all the skins (including actual weapon and armor models which aren’t classified as skins) we have ever owned would be stored there ready to be used as a skin. Too bad it will never happen as it will cut into their gem sales.

Dahkeus.8243

I’d just like to see some new items in general. The only things coming out lately have been stale re-skins of items that are already available or just more minis.

I still have yet to meet anyone that actually collects those. .

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think they need more collectable book.

If the skins and town cloth become a collection, people’ll be more interest in them and some will try to collect everything and boost sells.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

They could take some notes from Rifts Cash shop tbh..

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Don’t forget the monocle. Nothing says high society like a top hat and monocle.

You also need Chauncey von Snuffles III to tag along. Anet, make costumes wearable in battle, like in Guild Wars 1, please.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

More town clother would be nice. Especially ‘regular’ clothes. We still don’t have access to the NPC clothing.

Town clothes in fight, however, give me the shivers. I really don’t want to fight alongside with an army of people in pink quaggan hats and boxing gloves.

Posted by: Karalaza.6021

Karalaza.6021

Musical Instruments
The flute, bell, and horn are good starts, but let’s get a guitar, bass, and a drum set. Creating these items should b relatively simple since the mechanics are already created.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unbreakable_Drum
Soon…

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Dear Anet,

I will pay 1,000,000 gems for a medium chest piece that is not a freaking trenchcoat…

Sincerely,

Butt cape wearer.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]