Upcoming Guild Chat: We want to answer your questions!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Glaurung.1076

Glaurung.1076

Can we expect more lore about the creatures in Tyria? Maybe some form of in game beastiary?

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I actually wonder, what your philosophy is on balancing creatures to make them enjoyable enough for the hardcore players but not discouraging for the casual players?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Let’s see… most of what I can think is about things not done rather than things done. Why making things one way or another… and about what may come in the future.

• Why have giants lost their tusk and instead have one eye like cyclopses? What’s the process behind such drastic changes in design?
  • Mordrem menders and molten protectors are good examples of ‘key’ enemies that have higher priority for players to eliminate, as their can turn the tide of the fight. Any chance we’ll see more than than? And we’ll we ever see their allies actually trying to defend them by actively holding players off while the support try to move behind the enemy lines to a safer position?
  • We see very little use of boons by creatures. Mostly dredge are the only ones who do it consistently. That makes boon removal mostly pointless in most of PvE. What was the reasoning behind that?
  • Which other enemies did you consider for Magus Falls? Simians maybe? If you did we could have had actual simian minis for the year of the monkey.
  • Any plans on extending the repertoire of enemies of any type? Giants, plants and destroyers are rather lacking in variety.
    • We’ll be ever see any of the ‘lost’ creatures from GW1 such as hydras, dryders and gargoyles (not the animated flaming statues from King Thorn’s burned castle, but the actual GW1 gargoyles)
  • Scarlet enemies where great and fun to fight, but now we can only see small groups of them in a few instanced areas. We’ll be ever see scarlets armies coming back in open world content? Maybe something like they taking over the Labyrinthine Cliffs, and working together for each of their personal interests? Molten rebuilding their facility underground with an entrance at the base of the cliff, toxic rebuilding a nightmare tower in the water, aetherblades rebuilding their lair in cavers with an entrace on the upper levels of the cliff, and steam creatures remaking a marionette where the Zephir Sanctum used to be? Players would work together to help the merchants restore the Bazaar and fend off the Scarlet’s Remnants.
  • Any chance we’ll see enemies using more player skills and player-like builds? That’s one of the greatest factors making GW1 so good. I’d love to see at least higher rank enemies like veterans having player skills and profession mechanics. Like a bandit leader actually stealing like players do, rather than using a fake steal mock-up.
    • The PvP ‘profession masters’ are also ‘faking’ player mechanics. The ranger often misses its pet, and there’s no revenant. There’s also nothing like a ‘manager’ you can talk with to enter an instanced version of the training ground or change their builds.
    • Why isn’t the Shadow Behemoth summoning the occasional shadowy clone of a player?
  • Any chance on revisiting old content, specially higher end level 80 content like Southsun and Orr, reworking enemies by doing things like giving breakbars to risen abominations and risen knights, or making hylek and destroyers lose their immunities to poison and fire while their defiance bar is broken?
    • HoT enemies have quite some contextual lines that add lore by making creatures look like they interact with their allies, and a mechanic that indicates players what enemies are doing. Any chance we’ll see other enemy factions like inquest and flame legion also do that?
  • Any chance we’ll ever get a Bestiary mastery that unlocks a series of collections and a book-like UI with entries for each type of creature and sub-entries for each creature of that type so we can read enemy lore, stats, possible drops and look at the models while out of combat? If yes, any chance we could link that to polymock, so we can use try and ‘captch them all’ and use ‘captured’ enemies to play in the activity/adventure?
  • Any chance we’ll see more variety in plants other than treants, adding a few groups of plant enemies in spots of some maps where there’s currently very little density of enemies or no enemies at all, adding lesser plant creatures reminiscent of the many walking plants seen in GW1 such as walking thorns, seed pods, ibogas, jaracandas, dragon bushes, etc…?
  • Why weren’t 3 plant-like sylvari pets made? How come they could meet anything but a plant creature in the dream? Shouldn’t there be at least 2 more plant-like pets such as a thorn spider, a bush stalker, a grass moa or a pinecone drake?
  • Any chance we’ll ever see Crystal dessert two-eyed tusked giants herding minotaurs fighting for territory against friendly ogres who will give you rewards in exchange for their tusks?
  • Have you ever considered letting guilds customize the appearance of NPCs of structures they control?
  • Have you ever considered adding the Avicara tengu to anywhere in the Shiverpeaks?

[…]
8.- Suggestion – Montures
In the hypothetical case we see montures in Guild Wars 2, what are the limitations of the engine to make them?
[…]

There’s already mounts. GW2 has two kinds of mounts.

The first one is called ‘Travel’ items. They are toys just for show. These can show the character riding something.

Then you have contextual mounts with a particular use and a different skill set, like Siege Golems, the hounds from the fire keep, the charr bikes from the WvW upgrade, or the mecha siege devourers. These are transformations and do not show the character, but they are considered ‘mount’ by GW standards, as you ‘mount’ them to ride them.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Claudia De Anar.6304

Claudia De Anar.6304

Mob Respawn times,
As a returning player I had hoped this would have been adressed, it certainly seemed more of an issue when I logged off, still. It seems ridiculous that I should kill a mob guarding a given vista and be under attack by the same mob before the cin stops playing.

Killing the same mobs over and over becomes quite tedious. The very first time I logged on I thought game was bugged because I wound up killing the same 3 centaurs for maybe 20 minutes. It was only later I found out, no, no bug; I had not followed the script and so was just standing on that spawn point and would never run out of Uglies. Personally I think event specific mobs should only spawn once per event instance even if that means making them much tougher.

Claudia de Anar: An Equal Oppertunity Massacre.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Would you ever consider adding tutorial type creatures that use voice and text to explain to the player game systems that are left for the player to figure out?

For example, the game does not do a good job of explaining the combo system, which is a core component of combat. There should be an NPC that lays a field, and shouts something along the lines of “I’ve put down flame fields! Quickly, use your blast finishers to gain more power!”

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Would you ever consider adding tutorial type creatures that use voice and text to explain to the player game systems that are left for the player to figure out?

For example, the game does not do a good job of explaining the combo system, which is a core component of combat. There should be an NPC that lays a field, and shouts something along the lines of “I’ve put down flame fields! Quickly, use your blast finishers to gain more power!”

Good idea! There’s that dodge trainer in every zone, so why not a trainer for combo fields? A tall shapely female norn… ahem… as I was saying, that’s a great idea. Carry on.

Posted by: Foxic.5231

Foxic.5231

Will there be enemies that mimic classes like a A.I player?

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Do you mean mechanically or aesthetically? Mechanically I have an idea for supermobs that are larger versions of currently existing mobs but have access to more attacks and repeated abilities to accommodate larger groups and scale with them. What separates them from regular mobs is greatly improved AI. If a computer as far back as the 90’s could beat a world champion in chess then why can’t we do that kind of AI now?

The types wouldn’t necessarily be native to those regions so theoretically you could have a shadow leaper supermob randomly spawn in Queensdale, Frostgorge, or anywhere or a Teagariff supermob in Orr, Ascalon, or in his native Silverwaste. Possibilities are endless here. These mobs even alone would give even massive zergs credible chances of failing.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Are there plans to make boon removal a more relevant part of the PvE game? Removing one boon every ~20 seconds in Spirit Vale is really not requiring anything, but the pulsing 3 second boons every 3 seconds completely negate the point of removing them as well.

In other words, will we see long duration, long cooldown, strong/plentiful boons on enemies?

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Argamilwins.3914

Argamilwins.3914

I was wondering if we can know when are you planning to start LS3 ? Q2 Q3?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

@Agemnon – agree on better AI.

It gets tedious that every mob sits where it’s been told until you enter its airspace then it runs straight at you. Move far enough out of its airspace and it loses interest and goes back to sitting where it was…. presumably ‘cause.. reasons. Or, worse, it decides in the middle of battle that it’s going to take a timeout, runs back to its spot, recharges its health and comes right back at you. Can npc enemies use exploits?

I dream of facing enemies that behave more plausibly, that feel some sense of fear when outnumbered or facing a superior opponent. Enemies that stalk you, looking for an opportunity to strike, that look for higher ground. Animals that can be scared off, at least temporarily, by loud noises or explosions, as real animals would. Animals that don’t run through fires willingly. Little things like that.

Posted by: cyber.9621

cyber.9621

Just one question:
Any chance you can make opening loots a tad more exciting? It’s just so dull that close to 100% of anything we open are just placeholders for mats, runes and luck essence.

GW2 just has the most boring feeling of opening loots in any game ever :/

(edited by cyber.9621)

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

There is a creature in Ashford Abbey that I’ve been wondering about for over 10years. Please explain its nature and then make it a thing in gw2!

Notes section:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ashford_Abbey

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

The February 5th episode of our Guild Chat livestream will be about designing creatures in Guild Wars 2 with dev guests Brian Walter (Animator) and Ben Phongluangtham (Game Designer). They’ll be talking about the work process of adding new creatures to the game, using creatures you’ve encountered in Heart of Thorns–Mushroom Bombers, Bristlebacks, and Mordrem Maggots, among others–as examples of how it’s done.

We’d like to answer a few of your questions about this topic, so post them here and we’ll select some to talk about the day of the show.

Thanks for the opportunity, Here are my questions:

How long does it take to make a new creature from start to finish and how many people does it typically take?

Do creature reuse elements of each other? Like do they share skeletons / scripts etc..? or is every creature created totally from scratch?

When Gw2 launched one thing that surprised me was when at one point I tried to run away from a mob and cleverly thought I will go in the water. I thought that since this mob is from a dynamic event surely it doesnt know how to swim… only it did. Is the ability to swim a scripted behavior shared between creature types or do you people really cover every possible scenario a mob might find itself in? Can the new creatures in heart of thorns swim too?

Posted by: tyrox.1352

tyrox.1352

Most important question:

What is the most ugliest thing Agent Spire from CoE has seen? What kind of monstrosities are out there

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

Will boon stripping/stealing ever be more useful in the open world? Not a lot of HoT mobs seem to use boons.

Will new skills ever be added to the base professions, like a trap self heal and trap elite for thieves?

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: kfc.8170

kfc.8170

Thoguh I think this is impossible to add this far into the game, but please please pleeeeease consider adding a blood mechanic, I get its for the ratings and such…. but this feature alone has dropped the likelihood of many I know to take the game seriously. Though I am a fan of the game, im on the same boat.

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

One of my favorite encounters of season 2 is the teragriff boss fight in the episode about rescuing the Aspect Masters. To my knowledge, this was the first enemy in the game that had actual aerial combat. All “flying” enemies in vanilla GW2 just use flying as a fancy evade animation.

What are the main challenges in designing and implementing an actually flying enemy? Are the wyverns in HoT an evolution of the teragriff encounter in season 2, or are they fundamentally different?

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

Posted by: GammelTier.4875

GammelTier.4875

Currently i am doing a 3D Arts and Animation School here in Austria. My big goal is to someday work in a major Game Studio. What are some good hints you can give to a newbie Character/Creature artist?

Posted by: DeviantShark.6548

DeviantShark.6548

So in the Creature-Design-Process, what (usually) comes actually first?
“We want the Creature to do this and that” and based on that the look follows or the other way round, “We wat the Creature to look like that” and based on that follows the design of it’s actions

Also, which creatures were designed differently from the standard. I can imagine Mordremoth’s Mouth to be a product of a non-standard design-flow, but are there creatures we see every day ingame, which have a very unusual development-history?

Oh, and while it might not fit 100%, I am still cheeky enough to ask: Who thought it would be the best idea ever to make thief hold a staff like a hammer.

Squirreltail? What’s that? [AUT] Oachkatzlschwoaf
We are constantly looking for Guildmembers which contribute to an awesome community

Posted by: Kastiel.1947

Kastiel.1947

First of all huge appreciation for the work done on HoT, im one of the people who loved the expansion – great work on Mordrem Guard (they have a silent hill vibe imo, which is awesome), the chak are interesting too – i think you’ve delivered on the fantasy of a bunch of heros fighting a swarm of insects great – reminded me of some old sci-fi movies. Now my point is somewhat off-point, but in order to kill thove foe and other we’ll encounter in the future we were promied a full set of 2nd tier legenderies – so far we have 3 on release and no more news since, could we please get an update? please

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

• Why weren’t 3 plant-like sylvari pets made? How come they could meet anything but a plant creature in the dream? Shouldn’t there be at least 2 more plant-like pets such as a thorn spider, a bush stalker, a grass moa or a pinecone drake?

This might have to do with what the sylvari actually are.

We know, from the Blighting Trees, that Mordrem copies of other creatures can be created by using corpses as templates. The Pale Tree is essentially a Blighting Tree that isn’t loyal to Mordremoth, and she was planted on a human graveyard. It’s reasonable to presume that this is why sylvari are human-shaped.

It’s likely that dogs are also in the Pale Tree’s repertoire, resulting in fern hounds, because as the most common pets for humans, dogs were also among Ronan’s village. Assuming that they were ordinary people and not rangers, it’s unlikely that there’d be much of any other creature that can’t be domesticated by a non-ranger. At the time Ronan’s village was destroyed, moas were pretty much confined to the east of Tyria, so any other animals would likely be farm animals – pigs, cows, and so on. It’d be reasonable to presume that the Pale Tree might not see much point in copying food animals, and thus what we see being produced is human (sylvari) and dog (fern hound) copies.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Rhyav.4812

Rhyav.4812

When will Bubble’s minions start showing up?
I understand and sounds cool if you’re holding the whole Bubbles mystery for the last expansion or one of the latest, but I’m really anxious to see some!

Will we ever have some bounty creatures?
This is what in other games is called “Rare mobs”. I would LOVE to see bounty-like minions that you have to kill for an achievement. For those like me that love to explore maps, this would be SO AMAZING! With exclusive weapons and such. And if they could have special mechanics, even better!

What kind of minions are you trying to make?
Simple question because we have no idea what minions you’ll be making. I’m guessing they will either have a relation to the next Elder Dragon we have to kill or something completely new, not related to the Dragons?

Posted by: Dibbelocher.2318

Dibbelocher.2318

Didn’t we already have a Guild Chat on this?

Call me Dib.

Posted by: Dibbelocher.2318

Dibbelocher.2318

Question: “Do you guys look at Guild Wars 1 creatures for reference/inspiration?”

Call me Dib.

Posted by: Nyta.4769

Nyta.4769

This might be slightly off topic, but if human npcs count as creature design . . . . What happened to all the brown skinned Krytans? Why does nearly everyone in Kryta look more Ascalonian than Krytan? This has been bugging me since launch . . .

For something maybe more on topic, what’s the difference between a sylvari and a (GW1) warden? And what happened to Malyck? He went to his tree in the west in Magus Falls . . . and we never saw it anywhere in HoT. Were there originally plans for us to see this tree and it was dropped? Why didn’t the army he wanted to return with help in the fight that was going on around their home? Or was his home tree one of the blighting trees that we came across?

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

When will Bubble’s minions start showing up?
I understand and sounds cool if you’re holding the whole Bubbles mystery for the last expansion or one of the latest, but I’m really anxious to see some!

This is that underwater elder, right?

I don’t think he will come because underwater combat is something that’s being pushed aside for a longer time now, its flawed, easy, there are rather lame skills for underwater content + 98% of combat is on land so it would be a shameful content without 100% of reworking all underwater content and skills which would require a huge amount of time and effort – too much.

Anyway, my question is all about Adventure Box – when we will be able to play it again?
Its been almost 2 years now and still only a “maybe” answer – no more maybe, date – i need a solid answer and judging by the SAB topic a lot of people do. Its as simple as enable it from time to time like once per year for a month or so, so that people can go in and enjoy something different.

Other then that i ok with everything else but SAB bothers the heck out of a lot of people.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

This isn’t a question about creatures or anything related to what you are asking for instead I want to know if this will branch out in to other areas of the game as well. Will you have a Q&A on the dungeon changes, WvW changes and pvp? Or will we just get more fluff streams?

RP enthusiast

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I am really waiting for a return to the

• The Crystal desert and an open version of Glint’s Lair with mechanics and all,
  • Ring of Fire with agony slinging Mursaat (as far as they still exist)
  • Zinn’s Lab.

“Hard-Mode” leveled DUNGEONS

• FoW
  • Underworld
  • A remake of The Realm of Torment

And FULL reinstatement
of normal mode dungeons

• AC,
  • CM,
  • TA,
  • SE,
  • COF,
  • HOTW,
  • COE,
  • ARAH

I do not care that much about Raids, the forced time limits and all other drama surrounding them. So make these just dungeons, with chances to res ppl when dead, but no respawns, even respawning enemies are a go for me.

3 questions

• Will oldschool characters like Mursaat and such return?
    And will Agony be implemented as a condition outside Fractals? (like e.g. Mursaat?)
  • Will dungeons be Repaired and dungeon characters revisited/revised?
  • Will we see further development towards other instanced content outside raids?? (new high level/ elite dungeons?)
23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

One question, but it covers a lot.
Why was there such reliance on crowd-control by enemies?

There are creatures with a single attack, and that attack is spammed ad nauseam. Mushroom chargers, dust clouds, not-a-T-Rexes, siderolling arrowheads… This constant CC actually devalues Stability, because the uptime on the boon doesn’t last for the duration of the fight, and even being fully stocked on a profession that can have it, the uptime is insufficient and has a lengthy cooldown. (Unless Juggernaut Engi…)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Rauderi.8706

Will boon stripping/stealing ever be more useful in the open world? Not a lot of HoT mobs seem to use boons.

Great question!
This is a much better than the raw damage increases we’ve seen in HoT.
At least the Chak have a compounding element where they synergize with each other. Individually, they’re pretty weak, but enough together compounds to make it appropriately difficult. Opposite that, a pack of CC mushrooms is just a cheap way of disenfranchising player control and needs to be examined.

I’d like to add to that with:
Will we see HoT enemies adjusted to allow for more counterplay?
Some potential examples:
Frog arrow-thieves: Their ranged evade is automatic. Bad. Make them actually Dodge, and have the cooldown on that affected by Weakness.
Mushroom chargers and not-a-T-Rexes: Cripple doesn’t do enough or does nothing to halt them. It ought to break their charge and force secondary attacks.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Schattenkobold.4276

Schattenkobold.4276

What did you thought about design Chak?

I mean… Hordes of creatures. Dealing Tons of DMG and reflecting and repelling evrything + snipes you from 10km and can get invulnerable with this drones which flies around, cannot be attacked and need tons of cc which is hard to hit because the are rly fast.

I can kite evryhing, expect chak… so tell me, why?

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Will we ever see enemies that have actual skill sets like they did in GW1?

Since player characters have skill sets, it only makes sense that at least enemies that are player character races have sets of skills just like players.

Posted by: Shademare.6709

Shademare.6709

I dont know if this is related but ive been wondering about this since release.
Are there any horse or mount (for lore) in Tyria ? or perhaps a travelling caravan for long distance travel?
We’ve seen Centaur, that Bettle mount on VB, some Bambis around the forest and 2 version of Dolyaks (fat one is my favorite dolyak!) but i never seen a horse.
I mean its kinda weird that people using Waypoints (again, lore not gameplay), suddently they just teleported and their silver disappeared into the mist. I know our Supreme Lord and Savior, King Farren travel by Airship carried by Golden Flying Unicorn but what about common people ?

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Can we get creatures with less CC abilities? I don’t like this direction much. Also, can you tone down the CC-lock of centaurs in Gendarrian Fields during that big event in the town (sorry forgot the name)?

Posted by: llimus.8453

llimus.8453

I have a few questions!

Firstly, I’m mostly curious about how animations/rigs are decided on and applied to new creatures. Most of the newer models have their own animations & rigs but I’ve noticed a lot share them with existing/release models, too! Things like how teragriffs & canines share animations as well as bonebreakers and skale.
Is it by coincidence (that the models match up) or by design (to fit the rigs or to relate more to the existing models)?

Secondly, what exactly are teragriffs? Are they purely Mordrem or are they creatures that were easily turned?

Lastly, are there any creature-, being-, or monster designs that didn’t make the cut that you wish had? Or maybe even ones you just enjoyed?

EDIT: I thought of one more Q: How much inspiration was drawn from previous Guild Wars campaigns?

(edited by llimus.8453)

Posted by: Dreaminspace.2638

Dreaminspace.2638

Will we see an introduction of new emotes?
It’s one thing that I’ve always found odd about GW2.

Is it possible to turn the Magic Carpet and Broom Stick into a transformation to allow gliding? Much like being a guaggan and gliding. (Your glider doesn’t deploy)

Pocket Raptors? Where did the inspiration come from? What are the statistics of player deaths to Pocket Raptors.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Most important question:

What is the most ugliest thing Agent Spire from CoE has seen? What kind of monstrosities are out there

Yes! Please ask them to address this.

Will we ever have enemies that follow us into the air (and possibly have weapon kits used while gliding to deal with them)? There is a spot in AB where a monster followed me off a cliff, but that’s about all that happened.

Last, I thought the fight with my Doppelganger in Arcana Obscura was fun, and I would like to know more about how a clone like that is made. Also, I would like to fight myself more often! Or at least a foe that will mirror my build and skill choices.

Posted by: jciardha.1936

jciardha.1936

I just want to know whose idea was it to give the mushrooms butts. What medication did they forget to take?

Keeper of Buns of Men, a GW2 Tumblr Blog.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Okay, story time leading up to a question:

Last night, I decided to take my turret engineer (yes, each of my many characters has a style they focus on, rather than changing all the time) into VB. I don’t like the HoT zones, but I need mastery EXP, and thought that maybe it would be a good idea to use him to defend areas in the meta event.

At one point, I wound up setting my turrets up near some NPCs and fighting a couple of things that had latched onto my trail as I got there. When those targets were destroyed, the turrets did what they always do, looked for a new target. And they found one, one of the red frog people. A bit to my dismay, they opened fire at this thing walking around on the edge of their range.

And… it didn’t notice. Rifle shots and missiles were launched, but each and every one missed without this thing even trying to dodge. I checked the description under its health bar, and saw that it dodges ranged attacks. Without trying or entering combat, it was dodging all my ranged attacks. As an engineer that didn’t have the points to unlock Scraper even if I wanted to, I was pretty much helpless against this thing.

So, the question here is what was the reason for putting something like that into the game, when some of the classes can actually be locked out of having a melee attack? Yes, I realize that AoEs will hit it, but AoEs tend to be harder to come by due to cooldown timers and other costs. Giving players a blanket “immune to ranged attacks” ability would be overpowered, so why is it not seen so with an NPC?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Rauderi.8706

Okay, story time leading up to a question:

Last night, I decided to take my turret engineer (yes, each of my many characters has a style they focus on, rather than changing all the time) into VB. I don’t like the HoT zones, but I need mastery EXP, and thought that maybe it would be a good idea to use him to defend areas in the meta event.

At one point, I wound up setting my turrets up near some NPCs and fighting a couple of things that had latched onto my trail as I got there. When those targets were destroyed, the turrets did what they always do, looked for a new target. And they found one, one of the red frog people. A bit to my dismay, they opened fire at this thing walking around on the edge of their range.

And… it didn’t notice. Rifle shots and missiles were launched, but each and every one missed without this thing even trying to dodge. I checked the description under its health bar, and saw that it dodges ranged attacks. Without trying or entering combat, it was dodging all my ranged attacks. As an engineer that didn’t have the points to unlock Scraper even if I wanted to, I was pretty much helpless against this thing.

So, the question here is what was the reason for putting something like that into the game, when some of the classes can actually be locked out of having a melee attack? Yes, I realize that AoEs will hit it, but AoEs tend to be harder to come by due to cooldown timers and other costs. Giving players a blanket “immune to ranged attacks” ability would be overpowered, so why is it not seen so with an NPC?

Ranged AoEs will still miss those frogs. It dodges according to distance, so even with a ranged weapon, you can get within point blank and still hit it. It’s meant to force ranged characters to stop kiting. ..and follow the blighter into another pack of enemies that it callously leaps into.

Overall, I don’t consider them ‘bad’ enemies, just in need of some tweaks to make them more like players:
Require them to actually Dodge. Expend stamina. Be susceptible to Weakness.
Tune down their leap distance. They go entirely too far in the cramped settings of HoT zones, and chasing them down with melee is entirely too frustrating. (Yes, even with closers.)
Also a small note about their damage, but I think the two above would make them reasonable tolerable, since their HP pools are suitably low.

So, yeah, I’d like to ask: What’s being done to improve the current HoT designs and make them more polished?

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Can weexpect to see monsters that are statistically weaker, but supplement this with aplication of boons to themselves, and conditions(most importantly weakness) to their enemies?

(I ask because necros cant do much wih boon-strip, and guardians cant do much with smite conditions, if I can be blunt)

If I can be cheeky and ask something else; How easy would i be to implement a system that allows us to see monster animations? I love seeing monster models and animations on streams like this, and it makes me sad that we cant see the animations in a more detailed way besides in streams.

Posted by: cagiepoo.8162

cagiepoo.8162

I must give a shout out to the devs that created the HoT maps/content… simply amazing and they show that a lot of thought had gone into the actual layout of each map design, creature creation and mechanics and how they would react to player interaction/combat.
My question is: In the upcoming updates and future expansions, will there be any focus and improvements on underwater combat as this feature of the game seems to have been neglected for far too long? If there will be, can you give us any ideas as to what will be improved, what you would like to be improved in this area such as creature AI, new creatures introduced, player mechanics improved, maybe a new underwater map, how this will coincide with lore? Maybe this question has gone off in a different tangent but it was something I’ve been wanting to ask for some time.

Fortitudinem et honorem

[iQ] Intrinsic Quality

Posted by: RubiBayer

Previous

RubiBayer

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Thanks everyone who asked about creature design! Brian and Ben went through today before livestream rehearsal and picked out some good questions from the thread, so we’re all set.

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

I love how absolutely pointed Rubi’s response is. Let’s keep in mind that she has nothing to do with most of the things we actually care about. She’s just in charge of marketing stuff so she’ll be doing this kind of fluff to try to distract us from our disappointments with the game.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Posted by: RubiBayer

Previous

RubiBayer

Content Marketing Manager

Next

I love how absolutely pointed Rubi’s response is. Let’s keep in mind that she has nothing to do with most of the things we actually care about. She’s just in charge of marketing stuff so she’ll be doing this kind of fluff to try to distract us from our disappointments with the game.

The power (I’m in charge of marketing! A promotion!) and ulterior motives ascribed here give me too much credit. The real reason behind the question is much less exciting: It’s the topic of Friday’s show.

That’s pretty much it. We have a planning meeting for each episode of Guild Chat with the developer guests. During this one, Ben and Brian asked me if we could have this forum post because they wanted to hear from GW2 players and answer some of their questions on the show. I said yes. They went through the thread today, picked questions, and gave them to me at rehearsal.

The reason for topic of this week’s Guild Chat isn’t too sinister either: When we did the last show with the creature team, it was on very short notice due to a last minute scheduling change. The developer guests really enjoyed themselves, and at the end of the show said they’d love to come back when there was more time to plan and they could give people a better look. I said I’d bring them back as soon as there was a spot in the schedule. February 5th is that spot.

So there’s a peek behind the scenes of Guild Chat show planning. It’s… not very thrilling.

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

When will we be able to fish?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Has any thought been given to making creatures spawn more …plausibly.. instead of just popping into existence? You’ve just killed a critter.. you’re standing around for a while… POP.. another one appears beside you. There are creatures that already move underground – why not have these at least spawn by appearing out of the ground?

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Are there any plans to change mossman attacks to be more varied. Like transform to various Norn animal forms?

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Has any thought been given to making creatures spawn more …plausibly.. instead of just popping into existence? You’ve just killed a critter.. you’re standing around for a while… POP.. another one appears beside you. There are creatures that already move underground – why not have these at least spawn by appearing out of the ground?

I agree, with this. I’ve thought about it before when thinking of GW1. In GW1, when assassians spawn they would string down from the sky using rope and land on their feet. It would be interesting to see the Mordrem Itzel do something like that. Or have enemies that can tunnel underground, climb out of the dirt when they spawn and maybe shake the dirt off a little.