Update at prime time...not cool, bro.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mazrem.3291

Mazrem.3291

There are many times where it’s appropriate to do an update. In the middle of prime time is not the right time. I don’t care how long it takes for the servers to be brought up, even if it takes minutes. Sometimes we’re in the middle of rare events, and to have that BLASTED message pop up and get kicked out of the game during said event is complete BS. Even worse is that the message just suddenly crops up with three minutes of warning, so we have no idea when it’s going to happen.

Seriously, do things a little smarter. If it had happened to me during the middle of the night or early morning, I would’ve just chalked it up to bad luck. When it happens during the main play hours of the game, I chalk it up as bad planning.

Posted by: Downstairs Eddie.8125

Downstairs Eddie.8125

It will always be prime time for someone.

Posted by: Kwami.4356

Kwami.4356

Which is why they should deploy patches when it’s prime time for the fewest number of players. In other words, not at 9:30 Eastern.

Posted by: silencer.5028

silencer.5028

It gave me a 20 minutes warning personally? Seemed enough to complete anything I was doing.

Mazrem.3291

Obviously, but the majority of the player base is on at certain hours of the day. Typically, most companies do their updates in the morning time on specific days. I have yet to pin down a specific time or day that these guys do their normal updates, excluding the obvious emergency patches, which there was nothing so absolutely urgent in the patch notes that it couldn’t wait for a better moment. It almost feels like they say “Hey, it’s done. Throw it on so I can go home.”

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

It gave me a 20 minutes warning personally? Seemed enough to complete anything I was doing.

Gave me 3mins.
I was working toward 100k exp for monthly survivor, which just ruined my map. But anyway, it has been removed apparently..

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: Xander.3718

Xander.3718

It wasn’t even 5 minutes long.. I really don’t see a problem here. Besides being in an event and being D/C, but it’ll be alright. At least their updates aren’t 10 hours long(WoW)

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

The time is fine, it just needs to give you longer before starting. Back in GW1 it just spammed you telling you a new build was available, and if you were busy it would just spam you all night until you were ready.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I liked the system in GW1 a lot better. A new build would roll out and instead of kicking me; I could finish what I was doing and then re-log.

I’ve been in the middle of a story mission and gotten that before; then had to restart it. The old system was just a lot more user/customer/player friendly.

Mazrem.3291

I was in the middle of fighting that big swamp monster event in Queensdale. I rarely see that event up, and the moment that bugger jumped out of the water, that message popped up. It was almost hilarious actually. Log back in, and the guy is gone, the swamp is dormant.

The GW1 system wouldn’t work too well in this game. You can’t have updates that don’t force people to log out and update, because some game changes are very important bug fixes that stop exploits. I really don’t expect that anyways. I’m fine with logging out during updates.

The problem, again, is timing. Yes, I was unlucky, as were all the players who were involved in that event at the moment it happened. I’m fine with that if it were in morning hours or in the middle of the night. I’m not fine with it at around 7:00 pm central time.

Why?

Because it suggests to me that they really don’t care. They’re complacent with the small down time, and as such they don’t care what time they do it at or what it affects. That stupid event will be up again, and I’ll eventually finikitten out, sure. It’s all just a minor inconvenience in the long run. But it feels like they don’t care about us as customers, and that bothers me. Do that enough times, and I may get fed up with it. Do things like that enough, and people get tired of it.

I’m a long ways off from quitting, I like the game. I just want them to think about getting into a more regular schedule for their updates so this type of stuff is more expected. It’s just simply being more considerate towards your customers, and that’s what I really care about.

Posted by: BlackDeath.8106

BlackDeath.8106

I hope it stays like this. 5 mins downtime for a build! Better this than what, half a day downtime. Haters gonna hate anyway.

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

Doesn’t matter what time zone they choose, someone will be mad. The europeans are probably just as mad when they update in the morning.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I’m betting more people are going to be happy about the update then there will be people complaining about how it “ruined their day”. You can’t please everyone all the time.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Update was pretty nice; want to clear up in case anyone assumes I’m “complaining” – I’m not. I was merely stating I liked the GW1 update at leisure a lot better. Set up here is different, and it probably wouldn’t work here; so: What about a 60 minute restart limit?

Would give a larger window to make sure everyone has finished what they were in. I can’t imagine being almost done in Arah Story and having to suddenly have to restart. Or almost done with a dungeon and getting nothing for the effort cause of a quick “3 minute till restart”. Hasn’t happened to me, but ouch.

Posted by: Sindariel.2354

Sindariel.2354

Which is why they should deploy patches when it’s prime time for the fewest number of players. In other words, not at 9:30 Eastern.

Typical ignorant american.

Look at this map and see that your tiny country is not the centre of the world.
http://www.mapsofworld.com/

Kwami.4356

Sindariel.2354:

1. America is not tiny.
2. We have more players than any other time zones. We definitely have more players than whatever timezone might have suffered if they deployed the update at midnight Pacific time.

BlackDeath.8106

Sindariel.2354:

1. America is not tiny.
2. We have more players than any other time zones. We definitely have more players than whatever timezone might have suffered if they deployed the update at midnight Pacific time.

You sir must be working for anet right? because it is so obvious that you have the stats for players in GW2 from what you have written.

Kwami.4356

BlackDeath.8106: How many US servers are there? How many non-US servers are there?

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

The OP obviously has never dealt with Blizzards “you can’t play on Tuesday” 6-9 hour weekly maintenance. ANET’s updates , regardless of the time of day they roll out, are cake compared to that.

BlackDeath.8106

BlackDeath.8106: How many US servers are there? How many non-US servers are there?

Since im playing on US servers. I become an American now? Think about it.

Kwami.4356

Since im playing on US servers. I become an American now? Think about it.

You’re just arguing for the sake of it. You know that there are more US players than there are players in any other time zone.

Posted by: Snix Spoonman.3871

Snix Spoonman.3871

according to my list 24 USA servers 27 Europe Servers
Plus this doesnt count all the Australian and Asian and their timezones.

So to me more non-American timezones than American playing

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

The OP obviously has never dealt with Blizzards “you can’t play on Tuesday” 6-9 hour weekly maintenance. ANET’s updates , regardless of the time of day they roll out, are cake compared to that.

The reason their maintenances are so long is because WoW uses the WC3 engine still. Which was never made for MMO-style games. They basically have to break it any time they want to change or fix anything, which is also why coming out with new content, updates, and fixes takes so long for them.

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

Kwami.4356

according to my list 24 USA servers 27 Europe Servers
Plus this doesnt count all the Australian and Asian and their timezones.

So to me more non-American timezones than American playing

This isn’t the entire world vs. America’s three mainland time zones (sorry, HI and AK!). Pick three time zones. Unless they’re in Europe, they don’t have more players than the US. Even then, I’m willing to wager that we have more players than Europe does.

If they were to deploy the patch at midnight Pacific, who would lose? The center of Australia (very sparsely populated), part of Japan, and a strip of Russia. I’m absolutely sure that the US has more players than those regions.

Snix Spoonman.3871

wasnt making out RoW v USA, was answering the question to how many servers there were, and pointing out there was more non USA servers, and the Full Europe servers are comparable to the Full USA servers.
I just cant see how anyone can claim definitively there are more American players or more non-American players without stats. If going by Full servers alone then its fairly even.
This is not the first thread stating all updates and patches need to be conducted outside USA prime time.
midnight Pacific to me sounds quite an optimum time and even though i am on Europe timezone i do think 9.30 eastern wasn’t maybe the best idea

Kwami.4356

Hell, I’d be happy if they at least deployed patches at a consistent time so that we could plan around it.

Posted by: Taihaku.8412

Taihaku.8412

Oh for goodness sake people will complain about anything. OP you know how 90% of other mmos do it? They have downtime for hours up to whole days of downtime just to get a patch deployed. Anet releases a patch earlier than midnight for once with no downtime at all and you complain about it?

Snix Spoonman.3871

Hell, I’d be happy if they at least deployed patches at a consistent time so that we could plan around it.

Amen to this, at end of day does it matter what time, as long as everyone is aware beforehand and not the 3 minute warning or whatever it is we get.

Posted by: Snarky Snarf.8463

Snarky Snarf.8463

Maybe they just patch when the patches are ready so they can fix bugs as fast as possible and then move on to other problems.

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

I have some bridge building mats here somewhere…

As an Aussie, everything ArenaNet does is IN our prime time.

Deep breath and get over it.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

There are many times where it’s appropriate to do an update. In the middle of prime time is not the right time. I don’t care how long it takes for the servers to be brought up, even if it takes minutes. Sometimes we’re in the middle of rare events, and to have that BLASTED message pop up and get kicked out of the game during said event is complete BS. Even worse is that the message just suddenly crops up with three minutes of warning, so we have no idea when it’s going to happen.

Seriously, do things a little smarter. If it had happened to me during the middle of the night or early morning, I would’ve just chalked it up to bad luck. When it happens during the main play hours of the game, I chalk it up as bad planning.

What?

Anyone complaining about this games downtime and schedule should try and play any other mmo out there, especially at launch. You know what has been missing from gw2 so far compared to other mmo’s? hours and hours of downtime DURING prime time.

Seriously pick any MMO out there eaach and every one of them had long and extensive down times very very frequently and some each day for a week after launch.

3/4/8 hours downtime is nothing to be surprised about and here is GW2 the longest maint. i have seen was 60 minutes and that was just once, you just experienced a 5 minute downtime and you still come to the forums to complain about it and its schedule??

Also you prime time is not everyone’s prime time. It is always someone somehwere that has to be hit with a patch during their prime time but still , complaining about a 5 minute downtime ,really?

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

I liked the system in GW1 a lot better. A new build would roll out and instead of kicking me; I could finish what I was doing and then re-log.

I’ve been in the middle of a story mission and gotten that before; then had to restart it. The old system was just a lot more user/customer/player friendly.

That was probably possible because of the way it was setup with all of its instances, it was a co-op game at best and not really a 1 world mmo. People could keep playing in their own instance without the updates that everyone else had since you could not be running into them anyway, so no compatibility issues between your old client and their new client while running a dungeon or a zone or pvp.

I never seen it possible in any proper mmo to postpone the update, it just has to be uniform.

Posted by: Tassy.5891

Tassy.5891

So your playtime is more important than others?.The fact the servers only go down for a short time is fine. Hell, even if they went down for 5 hours a patch it’s still fine. After all, it is fixing/changing the game for good or bad. Go outside for a ltitle while, or talk to someone in real world for a bit.

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

I don’t really care when they patch I just would like a time and date a patch would be deployed. I don’t want to randomly stop whatever I’m doing to relog I’d rather say ok the patch is at X time on X date and just plan around it. Random patches also screw up WvW matches if it’s a tight game.

Posted by: Theta Zero.9023

Theta Zero.9023

At least it was the middle of the week. Shouldnt you be doing work or studying? I was…

You are not special because you live on the east coast. Nor an I. Id rather have varied update times so every timezone so everyone suffers once in a while, rather than, says oceanic zone always getting the shaft

They deal with it 90% of the time. You can deal with it 10%.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I’m glad they are finally having a downtime that isn’t America-centric. From an American who—-remembers from the SWTOR forums Australians complaining about downtime during their peak hours, it’s a legit concern and it’s only fair to have different downtimes.

Edit: Dashes due to ludicrous censoring of words that aren’t there.

Posted by: rook.4625

rook.4625

True story.

I was playing during primetime, was actually having a blast in wvwvw, and the two new builds that interrupted my gameplay did not affect me whatsoever, because it was fast.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Seriously if you’re gonna talk about timezones, stop using names like “pacific”, “eastern” and “central”. Use UTC+- or GMT+-, which is much easier for everyone to understand.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Seriously if you’re gonna talk about timezones, stop using names like “pacific”, “eastern” and “central”. Use UTC+- or GMT+-, which is much easier for everyone to understand.

Yeah, this. Or use the proper acronyms like PDT etc.

“Central” – US time? CET (Central European Time)? It’s not always clear from the context of the rest of the post.

And yeah… it will always be someone’s prime time. I’m impressed with the short maintenance times so far.

Posted by: Moderator.6574

Moderator.6574

I think that is a nice resume for this discussion.
Cause the most User uses this topic to troll and flame I will close it now.