Use skill scrolls on new characters now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

So the conversion of skill points to spirit shards happens with tomorrow’s patch, when the new hero point system for skills come in.

Presumably skill scrolls will will be converted to spirit shards as well.

From what I remember when making a new lvl 80 character from tomes was that using all the skill points from levelling up wasn’t enough to activate all the utility skills and I had to use skill scrolls to do so.

So is it better to use these skill scrolls now on new characters so we get these skills conversion/refund into hero points?

I’m guessing any skills unlocked on a character tomorrow will also be unlocked after the patch.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

So the conversion of skill points to spirit shards happens with tomorrow’s patch, when the new hero point system for skills come in.

From what I remember when making a new lvl 80 character from tomes was that using all the skill points from levelling up wasn’t enough to activate all the utility skills and I had to use skill scrolls to do so.

So is it better to use these skill scrolls now on new characters so we get these skills conversion/refund into hero points?

I’m guessing any skills unlocked on a character tomorrow will also be unlocked after the patch.

You are guessing wrong.

Answer is NO, don;t use your skill scrolls on unlocking skills today unless you want to risk losing out on the spirit shards they might provide.

The refund to hero points is not based on the amount of skills you have unlocked. Hero points are limited per character and will depend on your level (max at 80) and skill challenges completed.

EDIT: going to leave this here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_point

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wouldn’t bother to do it. You can, but there is no benefit to doing it early besides clearing out inventory. The hero points used to unlock your skills and traits will not come from skill point scrolls. Those will come from being level 80 and from doing skill challenges in the map. The skill point scrolls will become a consumable that becomes spirit shards, used to buy items from the mystic forge NPC.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Vague Memory.2817

You are guessing wrong.

Answer is NO, don;t use your skill scrolls on unlocking skills today unless you want to risk losing out on the spirit shards they might provide.

The refund to hero points is not based on the amount of skills you have unlocked. Hero points are limited per character and will depend on your level (max at 80) and skill challenges completed.

Why am I guessing wrong?

Also spirit shards are account wide, and I have about 1300 already gained skill points on 1 character. So I’m not so bothered by having a few more spirit shards from scrolls. However according to the link you provided utility skills will cost 5 hero points and elite 15 points each.

So my question is would it be better to acquire those skills before the change for new characters rather than wait to find out you’ve don’t have enough hero points to get all the utility skills. The devs have already said that you won’t be able to unlock everything from hero points gained from levelling alone. Which is also true from the current system for skill points.

Cyninja.2954

You are guessing wrong.

Why am I guessing wrong?

Also spirit shards are account wide, and I have about 1300 already gained skill points on 1 character. So I’m not so bothered by having a few more spirit shards from scrolls. However according to the link you provided utility skills will cost 5 hero points and elite 15 points each.

So my question is would it be better to acquire those skills before the change for new characters rather than wait to find out you’ve don’t have enough hero points to get all the utility skills. The devs have already said that you won’t be able to unlock everything from hero points gained from levelling alone. Which is also true from the current system for skill points.

Skill points now that become spirit shards have NOTHING to do with hero points and skills under the new system.

Use those skill point scrolls now, unlock skills with them = very likely lose the potential spirit shrads from them and not get any skills tomorrow since NOTHING you unlock now stays unlocked.

Reread the link. You seem to have skipped half of what is happening.

EDIT: here I’ll try to make this as simple as possible. Once the patch hits tomorrow we:

- get a completely new UI for traits and skills
- have EVERY skill and trait LOCKED (anything you unlock now IS LOST!)
- gain x amount of hero points depending solely on character level and amount of skill challenges completed (thus hero points are caped at currently aproximately 620 or so)
- lose all current skillpoints to:
A.) converted to hero points in the new system if they were from leveling or skill challenges
B.) converted to spirit shards if aquired through levels post 80 or skill point scrolls

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Jayjaydee.3827

Jayjaydee.3827

My thinking is this… it doesnt matter what you do with scrolls. THey are goign to get converted into spirit shards whether you use them or not.
I think the thing to do TODAY is to go out and get all the skill points you can from the maps. If you get like 60 or whatever on a level 80 char, you are effectivlyl giving yourself a spirit shard tomorrow, and a hero point when that change comes. If you wait till after the hero points come into play, you will only get a hero point from those skill challenges and you will miss out on the spirit shard.
Am I right?

Cyninja.2954

My thinking is this… it doesnt matter what you do with scrolls. THey are goign to get converted into spirit shards whether you use them or not.
I think the thing to do TODAY is to go out and get all the skill points you can from the maps. If you get like 60 or whatever on a level 80 char, you are effectivlyl giving yourself a spirit shard tomorrow, and a hero point when that change comes. If you wait till after the hero points come into play, you will only get a hero point from those skill challenges and you will miss out on the spirit shard.
Am I right?

That depends entirely on what and how much anet takes into account. Here is 2 very different examples:

Example A.:
- check character level
- check amount of skill challenges completed
- determain amount of hero points gained
- convert all skill points to spirit shards

→ you lose on any spirit shards you would have gained from skill points if you unlock skills
→ gain a spirit shard AND the hero points for any skill challenge completed

This seems by far the easiest approach but who knows.

Example B.:
- same as A but also convert all bought skill back to “skill points” before determaining on the amount of spirit shards the account should receive

→ would prevent any loss from buying skills under the old system. I kind of think this approach is unlickely though.

No one besides anet can tell how exactly the conversion is coded. I do agree on though that knocking out skill challenges today has the least possibility of coming around biting you in the *.

Vague Memory.2817

You are guessing wrong.

Why am I guessing wrong?

Skill points now that become spirit shards have NOTHING to do with hero points and skills under the new system.

Use those skill point scrolls now, unlock skills with them = very likely lose the potential spirit shrads from them and not get any skills tomorrow since NOTHING you unlock now stays unlocked.

Reread the link. You seem to have skipped half of what is happening.

EDIT: here I’ll try to make this as simple as possible. Once the patch hits tomorrow we:

- get a completely new UI for traits and skills
- have EVERY skill and trait LOCKED (anything you unlock now IS LOST!)
- gain x amount of hero points depending solely on character level and amount of skill challenges completed (thus hero points are caped at currently aproximately 620 or so)
- lose all current skillpoints to:
A.) converted to hero points in the new system if they were from leveling or skill challenges
B.) converted to spirit shards if aquired through levels post 80 or skill point scrolls

Actually you have misread What I said. I never said shards are related to hero points at all. You’ve totally didn’t grasp my question on two counts.

However my question has essentially been answered in this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Skill-points-and-Spirit-Shards/page/2#post5188919

A quick update on this one -> After feedback from presenting the original hero point count – we decided getting to level 80 will give you enough hero points to unlock all the core skills and traits entirely. Doing hero challenges (aka skill challenges) will simply allow you to earn all the skills/traits earlier before level 80. With the release of HoT, there will be options to spend the excess hero points earned from doing hero challenges in the world.

There are a number of other changes on 6/23 to make the experience from 1-80 more exciting, better-paced, rewarding, and fun as well after having the time to evaluate and player feedback from the updates last year.

-CJ

Posted by: Idea Of Evil.1845

Idea Of Evil.1845

the patch is night 22 to 23 or night 23 to 24???

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Conversion will happen either way, so likely save yourself the clicking and leave them as is. If they turn into a spirit-skitten-click item, then it’s the same amount of clicking anyway.

Don’t spend skill points, however you’re earning them.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

give extra scrolls to under level 80 alts and make sure they have 65 skill points.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Probably just be a waste of clicking.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

the patch is night 22 to 23 or night 23 to 24???

The date and time of day depend on what part of the world you live on. The patch should be in about 24 hours, give or take a couple of hours.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

As long as you’re level 80, you’re going to have enough hero points.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Rauderi.8706

give extra scrolls to under level 80 alts and make sure they have 65 skill points.

That wouldn’t work, unfortunately. Skill points existing on a character get converted to Spirit Shards.

The Hero Points accrued tomorrow will come from Level and Hero Challenges (skill challenges) completed.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

That wouldn’t work, unfortunately. Skill points existing on a character get converted to Spirit Shards.

The Hero Points accrued tomorrow will come from Level and Hero Challenges (skill challenges) completed.

Per this post they’ll all be obtained from getting to level 80. The rest will go toward elite specializations and mastery, in heart of thorns.

Edit: Which I now realize is basically what you said. So… just consider that link an extra for people who haven’t heard the news yet.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Rauderi.8706

Per this post they’ll all be obtained from getting to level 80. The rest will go toward elite specializations and mastery, in heart of thorns.

Holy kitten, thanks for the update, Guhracie! That’s fantastic news, especially for the WvW community.

Many alts; handle it!