User Agreement is a 5 yo spoiled child.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Redfield.6174

Redfield.6174

Today I took my morning to read the user agreement of GW2. I confess, once it poped on my screen in didn’t think twice before agree and get right into the game to se the so called “end of culling” (which, by the way, is amazing).

The first paragraphs are the usual “blablablá”, however, the more you read, the more umbelivable it gets. It instantly reminded me of my childhood. Afterall, we all had that spoiled neighbor who always said “The ball is mine, we will play what I want and the way I want.”. This user agreement is no different. It is filled with hole paragraphs stating "We will do, like you or not, be right or wrong and (add the “F” bad word here) your time spent on it".

4. ACCOUNT AND PAYMENTS TO NCSOFT

C – “…NCSOFT may provide subsequent versions, enhancements, modifications, upgrades or patches related to the Software. NCSOFT may, in its sole and absolute discretion, require You to pay for the foregoing or to be making payments under Section 4(b) and, if You do not, NCSOFT may terminate Your Account.(…)”

Buy a DLC or leave the game. Fair enough, right? No.

D-VII “…that the quantity of Gems in Your Account may be increased or decreased by NCSOFT in its sole and absolute discretion for any reason or no reason whatsoever, that You have no right to a refund related to Gems, that there is no right to transfer or exchange Gems, and that NCSOFT may limit Your license to use Gems with respect to any Item, service, Content or time period related thereto.”

Considering I’m filthy rich, and for personal reasons I decided to convert 1000 gold coins into gems and in the next morning, when I log in they will be vanished under the statement of no reason whatsoever. And for the next months or maybe lifetime, I wont be able to convert gold into gems and vice versa. Amazing.

I don’t agree with these terms and I’m sure there are much more I couldn’t completly understand (english is not my main language, it is a bit hard read and fully comprehend all the agreements) but I have to. And I can’t imagin the frustration of being punished on this game under no concrete reasons.

This game is a true story of love and hate. I love what the ANET developer has built over the past five years, but I can’t stop hating the thingers of NCSOFT on it. God curse the day they got theyr hand on the game’s Rights.

But I’ll end my topic with a good thing. The agreements are not worse than the iTunes’s one, which make us agree with “Not using the software to develop weapons of mass destruction”.

Good day, and good game.

[BP] Necromancer
Dragonbrand Server

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

All this is saying is that both gems and gold are technically bits on their servers and they can do whatever they want with them…those bits are theirs and they license you to use them. This is a standard ‘cover your own butt’ clause, don’t expect them to ever do it.

Also don’t turn 1k coins into gems, not worth it at all.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Those clauses are the exact same ones they have had since Guild Wars (1) released. They didn’t charge for content other than expansions then, and I do not see them doing so now or in the forseeable future. Nothing new here. I hope, though, you have enjoyed your time in-game so far; not sure why finally reading what you agreed to when you started makes a difference.

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Yeah this is pretty standard CYA stuff. No big deal really.

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I think it has more to do with some kind of catastrophic crash of hardware – act of God that destroys the servers, or if somehow they get compromised, and accounts get deleted etc.

They don’t want to have to go back and dish out real money to compensate those that spend 100’s of dollars on Gems. The intention of the clause is not to go in and delete peoples gold/characters, but they are not going to be held responsible if that happens. Looks like a normal agreement to me.

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

I don’t agree with these terms

You already had agreed to them or else you wouldn’t have been playing up until now. If you’re saying that you no longer agree to them and thereby will cease to play, well then the only thing I have to ask is…really? Over this?

This sentence is false.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

If you’re saying that you no longer agree to them and thereby will cease to play, well then the only thing I have to ask is…really? Over this?

And….Can I has yer stuffz?

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

If you don’t agree with these terms you probably wont agree with many terms forms in life, if at all.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Just because such terms are common, it doesn’t make them any better. EA also is well known for putting such regulations in their agreements, and they’re often breaking local laws and are considered the worst publisher in the industry for a reason.
This is called arbitrariness, and such passages are probably legally void depending on where you live. Just because I sign an agreement that allows NCSOFT to remove my organs and sell them, that doesn’t mean they’re actually allowed to do so.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

rizzo.1079

But they are bits on their servers and they’re technically only being licensed to you. Pretty sure the DMCA is very clear on situations like this: You don’t own the bits, NCSOFT does.

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

Just because such terms are common, it doesn’t make them any better. EA also is well known for putting such regulations in their agreements, and they’re often breaking local laws and are considered the worst publisher in the industry for a reason.
This is called arbitrariness, and such passages are probably legally void depending on where you live. Just because I sign an agreement that allows NCSOFT to remove my organs and sell them, that doesn’t mean they’re actually allowed to do so.

You seriously didn’t just compare organs with pixels that you don’t even own did you?

What’s going on here? Is this thread for real? Am I still sleeping?

This sentence is false.

rizzo.1079

You seriously didn’t just compare organs with pixels that you don’t even own did you?

What’s going on here? Is this thread for real? Am I still sleeping?

Meh people just don’t understand legaleze and get bent out of shape when they think their bits will get stolen.

I’m not the biggest fan of the DMCA myself but this is completely legit…if their servers all DIAF or something, this covers them from being sued for all the cash by vengeful nerds who lost all their gold.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

The Guild Wars 2 User Agreement is something every players agreed to read, understand and follow, the moment your game account was created. The terms are at the total discretion of Arena Net & NCsoft.

Please note that debating or discussing the terms stated is not allowed on the Forums, which are also under the User Agreement.

This thread is now locked. Thank you for your understanding.