Using macros to remain active while AFK

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

I thought this was against the rules. There’s a person in SW that’s been doing it for 3 days. I mean literally 3 real life days. The sun has come up and set 3 times and every time I’m on that map, that player is there in the exact same spot, with a healing macro going off until they’re dead.

What gives?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Depends. Is he actually afk farming/botting or just standing there?

If afk farming/botting, in general they ban in waves. Banning in waves instead of individually upon report makes it harder for the botter to figure out what triggered the ban.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

The first time, I saw the person standing outside of Red Bastion in SW, where the mobs spawn and like clockwork, they’d heal. Someone would come along and rez them after they died, and the player would be there, with that heal going off without missing a beat. The day after, I saw that same player run into Red Bastion and stop just inside and the heals started, I actually dug out my stop watch and started timing it. Never missed a beat. The player never waypoints, doesn’t have their pet set to auto rez and once they’re dead, they stay dead until someone revives them. Then the heals start.

It’s pretty obvious it’s a macro and the person is using it to remain in combat while afk, and has been afk for 3 days.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I doubt it’s a macro, he’s probably just using the ingame auto-attack feature. With it you can make one skill activate automatically everytime it’s recharged, I used to do this when waiting for Tequatl.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Panda.1793

Panda.1793

Watch out for doing this yourself.

Years ago from the launch start I ust to be afk using auto attack/heal feature in Heart of the Mists for days and weeks.

Obviously enough morons running around heart of the mists QQ’d about me doing this [ Dont know why you would even care ] and reported me.
I was then Perma banned for botting…..

Luckily! I had a mail from another player a few days before I was banned, l sent the screen of the mail + a lengthy , really kittened off ticket to support, explaining what had happened.
They unbanned me very shortly.

So just dont be surprised if anything happens. They will give you the powers, they punish you for using those powers.

p.s. here is that screen for lols

Attachments:

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I thought this was against the rules. There’s a person in SW that’s been doing it for 3 days. I mean literally 3 real life days. The sun has come up and set 3 times and every time I’m on that map, that player is there in the exact same spot, with a healing macro going off until they’re dead.

What gives?

/report them, file a support ticket, or send your screenshots/description to exploits@arena.net

Let ANet decide if they are breaking the rules.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

I sometimes run with my heal on auto attack depending on where I am. It has actually saved my butt a few times.

It is very possible that this person does the same thing then gets called away from their computer, maybe they have kids or someone knocks at the door, who knows. Then, because of where they are standing, they die. If they were doing it to farm then they would probably stand some place where there aren’t so many mobs so they aren’t dying all of the time.

Are they hurting you in some way? Are they interfering with you being able to play the game? If you answered no then maybe you need to just go on about your business and not worry so much about what someone else is doing. They aren’t botting, they are simply doing what everyone else is, enjoying the game in their own way.

you can’t fix stupid

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

A couple of weeks ago, I came across 30-40 people afk during one hour in our WvW Borderland (WvW kicks you after 10 mins or so). There was no way to repport them all (not mention I had no time to stay and verify who was at the spawn because he had just arrived and who was afk). That kind of behaviour can be really toxic. It’s a shame the game kinda lets you do that.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A couple of weeks ago, I came across 30-40 people afk during one hour in our WvW Borderland (WvW kicks you after 10 mins or so). There was no way to repport them all (not mention I had no time to stay and verify who was at the spawn because he had just arrived and who was afk). That kind of behaviour can be really toxic. It’s a shame the game kinda lets you do that.

There is a way to report: take a screenshot, send it to ANet (direct email or via a support ticket), including the time/date/map (name is sufficient for WvW; for PvE, include the /ip, too). ANet can take a look at the whole group.

If you don’t have time for that, /report 2-3 players in the group. If the “investigator” is any good (some are, some aren’t), they’ll note the “several” reports in the same spot and expand their research into what else might be going on.

I’m speculating on the WvW case, though: WvW reward track points continue to trickle for 10 minutes or so after one finishes a marathon session. Some people like to brush their teeth or remind themselves what their kids look like, while their toon idles awaiting their justly-deserved riches.

If there aren’t any queues, I personally don’t see a problem with it (if that’s what was going on). However, neither would I discourage you from /reporting — it’s up to ANet to decide and we’ll never have all the facts anyhow.

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

I’m speculating on the WvW case, though: WvW reward track points continue to trickle for 10 minutes or so after one finishes a marathon session. Some people like to brush their teeth or remind themselves what their kids look like, while their toon idles awaiting their justly-deserved riches.

If there aren’t any queues, I personally don’t see a problem with it (if that’s what was going on). However, neither would I discourage you from /reporting — it’s up to ANet to decide and we’ll never have all the facts anyhow.

Yeah, reward tracks are great but they also encourage that kind of behaviour. I would love to have a flat RT gain whenever you capture or kill something, just like XP, instead of participation, but it’s better than nothing I guess.

Yet, that wasn’t the case there. It was just dinner time for that local EU server, and since there are always queues after, one guild / squad / whatever had decided to bot it to remain in.

EDIT – And yes, I took a few screenies (I have 3 or 4 of them, with a 10 mins interval between on avergae), yet I really doubt Anet could do anything with that. It’s already a pita to have WvW trolls banned (you know, the kids trolling the team chat, proud to say they have 5 accounts and Anet never does anything against them), so a bunch of random people, including some of them who were there for a legitimate reason…

(edited by Sir Mad.1092)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

@Mad: send in the screens, especially if they include the ‘alleged’ botters admitting to their perfidy. Let ANet decide.

I don’t worry about how hard it seems to get trolls or speed-hackers banned. ANet staff get paid to worry about how to deal with that; I’d rather spend my attention on how to finish those last few collections, without having to revisit the same map locations 8 times. If ANet figures it out, great; if not, well, that’s a shame, but I won’t let it interfere with my game time more than it has to.

PS it never occurred to me that guilds would guilds would hog up the queue while they go eat. That’s sad to see.

Posted by: Soggy Biscuit.9372

Soggy Biscuit.9372

I’ve seen a handful of characters doing this on certain spots every time I logged on. They were all on their rangers, spamming heal on every CD while their AoE pets would take care of trash mobs that would spawn on top of them.

Reported with their names and screenshots, and I no longer see them, ever. I like to think Anet was kind enough to take action very quickly and banned their kitten.