Usually the community is amazing in gw2....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dynealex.1470

dynealex.1470

but the times you run into elitist kittens can really take all the fun out of the game as well as all the energy out of you….

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Yeah. Ignornthem, theybarent worth your time. Was running a dungeon last night with some guildies, and 1 pug. Pug was getting all heated because I had to stop for a second to do something. I was maybe a few seconds behind the group, and dude was not happy about it. Just blew it off and finished the dungeon. Still had a great run, so dont let get to you. Thats how they get their powers.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

but the times you run into elitist kittens can really take all the fun out of the game as well as all the energy out of you….

This helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU :-)

dynealex.1470

yea thanks, just feeling really down atm.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The one thing I always liked about the GW community is that you don’t often see people in a social area engaged in heated arguments about real life stuff like racism, politics, religion, what Russia is doing, etc. In some other MMOs (ESD in STO for example) it’s all you see people doing.

I never understood how people can sit in a game and troll people by starting arguments about touchy subjects and continue the debate for hours. I log into the game to play it and have fun. Not to be reminded of the real world.

There have always been a level of elitism in GW though. But at least in that sense it’s related to the game.

Overall the community in GW has always been very nice, and at times players will take the time to answer your questions and even help you on a quest. And if you look hard enough, you’ll find more friendly players to do dungeons and stuff with then there are elitist jerks who wouldn’t give you the time of day if you didn’t have a meta build.

Edited for typos.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

dynealex.1470

T\
Overall the community in GW has always been very nice, and at times players will take the time to answer your questions and even help you on a quest. And if you look hard enough, you’ll find more friendly players to do dungeons and stuff with then there are elitist jerks who wouldn’t give you the time of day if you didn’t have a meta build.

Edited for typos.

here’s the thing… you’d assume “zerker only ap+ only” are elitist…. but you wouldn’t imagine elitists that take joy in making fun of everything you do in a friendly sounding group name that seemed like they just wanted to relax and have fun… Went in expecting fun, and was mocked for 30 minutes straight. Thought at first it was a communication issue because I know there are sometimes misunderstanding of intent and I often give people the benefit of the doubt…. so when they actually turn out to be complete kittens, it’s often too late and the damage’s been done…

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

The one thing I always liked about the GW community is that you don’t often see people in a social area engaged in heated arguments about real life stuff like racism, politics, religion, what Russia is doing, etc. In some other MMOs (ESD in STO for example) it’s all you see people doing.

I never understood how people can sit in a game and troll people by starting arguments about touchy subjects and continue the debate for hours…

-snip-

Edited for typos.

… What?

Shing Jea Monastery & Great Temple of Balthazar, among others, were notorious for this behavior, and ArenaNet even indirectly referenced them and towns like them in earlier gamescom demos for GW2.

Edited for less use of capital letters.

Kegmaster

(edited by Serelisk.6573)

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I love the way the activities mentioned in that demo are still locked off.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I never understood how people can sit in a game and troll people by starting arguments about touchy subjects and continue the debate for hours.

This is common on internet forums and on Facebook and Twitter. One might think a game would be different, but there are people who don’t log on to play so much as to talk.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I never understood how people can sit in a game and troll people by starting arguments about touchy subjects and continue the debate for hours…

-snip-

Edited for typos.

… What?

Shing Jea Monastery & Great Temple of Balthazar, among others, were notorious for this behavior, and ArenaNet even indirectly referenced them and towns like them in earlier gamescom demos for GW2.

Edited for less use of capital letters.

Thanks a lot! It took me years to forget about Shing Jea and GToB.

Alright I confess. The GW community is the same as any other MMO. Full of elitist jerks and people who like to argue all day. But there are still a lot of nice players.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I usually just leave if it gets too bad, since my tolerance for stupid only goes so far.

Though, since I usually try and stay away from the heavily populated areas if I can, I haven’t been privy to too many bad arguments or jerks, and I like to make it stay that way.

On a side note, I was apart of a very weird argument awhile ago. It was about the origins of chili, and how real chili doesn’t beans in it. The whole thing was totally absurd, but I guess I would rather have an absurd argument than a trolly elitist one.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Usually the community is amazing in gw2…. but the times you run into noob kittens can really take all the fun out of the game as well as all the energy out of you….

See what I did there?

It works both ways. Think of it like you’re a child who runs into grown-up businessmen in a conference hall and they get extremely annoyed by you. It may turn out that tomorrow they may wander into your kindergarten and will annoy you and your friends. And in 30 years you’ll likely become that grown-up who’s annoyed by children. So just try to be considerate and go play with your own type of people without accusing anyone, okay?

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

It works both ways. Think of it like you’re a child who runs into grown-up businessmen in a conference hall and they get extremely annoyed by you. It may turn out that tomorrow they may wander into your kindergarten and will annoy you and your friends. And in 30 years you’ll likely become that grown-up who’s annoyed by children. So just try to be considerate and go play with your own type of people without accusing anyone, okay?

The difference being that the “child” would run into a conference hall full of “businessmen” because it might be fun and they don’t know any better. The only way a “businessmen” wanders into a kindergarten is because s/he purposely goes in with intent.

here’s the thing… you’d assume “zerker only ap+ only” are elitist…. but you wouldn’t imagine elitists that take joy in making fun of everything you do in a friendly sounding group name that seemed like they just wanted to relax and have fun… Went in expecting fun, and was mocked for 30 minutes straight.

From what it sounds like, from this end anyway, the group description was a bit misleading. OP thought we was grouping up with like minded relaxed people, but instead he went into a room full of “businessmen” because they didn’t advertise “Businessmen Only-No Children”.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

The difference being that the “child” would run into a conference hall full of “businessmen” because it might be fun and they don’t know any better. The only way a “businessmen” wanders into a kindergarten is because s/he purposely goes in with intent.

They may as well be doing business there, looking for ways of improving the site, trading supplies. Children may as well annoy grown-ups because they crave attention and find malicious behaviour to be effective. There’s no difference, really. I’ve seen more annoying noobs (like, intentionally speaking German in an international group, not listening to tactics overview in fractals, and then kicking instance owner on 3rd fractal; or ragequitting at Mai Trin because they fail to run out of AoE and die there) than elitists actually (in a whole year I’ve been kicked from a party once, only after several wipes, and because I really was a noobish condi-tank staff mesmer at that time; on the other hand, I was carried once in a “rush” party I joined even though I was the same non-DPS character).

So this stuff happens from both sides. Unless you see the whole picture, judging people by a couple of (most likely biased and omitting) sentences is not a healthy approach.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

yea thanks, just feeling really down atm.

Search for the user VeeWee and go read their posts, starting from the most recent.
Fun guaranteed, heuhue, while learning an extra thing or two about the woes of pvp in this game.
To get you started, here’s a cool thread they made recently: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Vee-Wee-s-PvP-Suggestions/first

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

not everyone expecting at least an average performance of you is an “elitist”.

Posted by: Mercypsy.9602

Mercypsy.9602

It’s not really about being good or bad at the game, it’s about communication skills and empathy. Some people behave in a rude, condescending, aggressive and/or self-righteous manner. They don’t seem think too much about how other people feel. Being able to see yourself as the other person and empathise is a basic human skill, but it’s not equally distributed unfortunately. In my experience dungeons have a -10 debuff to empathy and communication skills

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

The GW2 forum certainly has its characters, which can lead to heated arguments.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

I often create groups on LFG with newcomers welcome in the party advertisement. I find it so much more rewarding when you complete a fractal run with 0 deaths with a party full of newbies knowing that your leadership and communication skills have got you through it.

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

I often create groups on LFG with newcomers welcome in the party advertisement. I find it so much more rewarding when you complete a fractal run with 0 deaths with a party full of newbies knowing that your leadership and communication skills have got you through it.

This. I always start the group myself and make it very clear that I’m not a seasoned player, and that other less experienced players are welcome too. I haven’t had any trouble with elitists so far. As for pvp, after my rather traumatizing experience in RA in GW1 I’ve decided to stay away from it. I just don’t need constant name-calling.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

for me its the opposite

so annoying this people joining a group and than “i play how i want”

than do it and make your own group with likeminded people but dont kitten up other 4 players with your ego

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Elitists always make me think of this house classic:

Enjoy!

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

There’s a bit of balance here, and it depends on your view of elitist.

If the party says “zerker only” and you are not zerker, joining them is your fault. They’re looking for a speed clear.

If the party says “all welcome” or makes no mention of requirement and you join and experience this, it’s their fault.

People are kittens sometimes, that’s true. But it also isn’t cool to slow down a speed run by not gearing for dps, or get downed repeatedly because you are not geared properly and expect to be carried through the dungeon.

I do not know which group you fall into, but for every group out there that’s looking for a hard hitting, specialized party, there are several much more relaxed groups.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.