Utopia

Utopia

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Do you think Anet will expand into the area of Utopia in GW2?

I can’t help but think the mysterious Machines creatures Invading Tyria are from there.

The ideal of Utopia was a Technology Continent which would relate the the Technology creatures appearing in the shiverpeaks.

Utopia

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Some believe the Tarnished Coast was derived from the cancelled campaign that was to be Utopia. An early iteration of what later became the Sylvari could be found in what little information is known about Utopia. Utopia was to have an ‘Aztec’ theme, and you can see some of that in the Tarnished Coast. Also, technology was to be an important part of the theme, and we can find the Asura there.

So, one could surmise that ArenaNet has already expanded into the area of Utopia, and did so with the release of Eye of the North.

Utopia

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I wish they would expand this idea, the ‘Aztec’-themed world seemed really interesting. But one day maybe: Tyria is a HUGE planet, maybe some day we’ll get more than what we already had

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Utopia

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I heard (so take it with a fistful of salt) that Utopia grew so big, that they turned it into GW2.

Utopia

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Indeed, it became EotN and GW2 but I would personally like to see is the ‘Aztec’ atmosphere that appeared in early artworks, this could make us visit great landscapes ^^

Son of Elonia.

Utopia

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Can’t really find too many sources of Utopia concept art but here’s some http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia

Utopia

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Utopia is where all the Mutants live.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Utopia

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Steam creatures were made by Scarlet.

Utopia

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

There’s also a segment of the Asura personal story (Infinity Ball path) wherein the player character is a world-conquering warlord in a parallel dimension, who uses steam creatures.

Utopia

Posted by: SirMorgenStar.6721

SirMorgenStar.6721

There’s also a segment of the Asura personal story (Infinity Ball path) wherein the player character is a world-conquering warlord in a parallel dimension, who uses steam creatures.

It’s interesting that the other-dimensional Shodd has the title “Grand Vice Admiral”. Isn’t there a Champion Steam Ogre at the very top of the collapsing Thaumanova Reactor, at the point where reality is collapsing and dimensions colliding? I feel like they are supposed to be multidimensional invaders leaking into our dimension.

(edited by SirMorgenStar.6721)

Utopia

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

And Scarlet build some of the steam creatures, that were present in the meta events, but the “creator of Watchknights” reverse engineered steam creature to create the Watchknights.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Utopia

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Asura stuff is pretty Aztec-like.

I ? Karkas.

Utopia

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

looking at the concept art, i would love to see utopia in GW2.
it’s different from what we’re used to and it gives us a fresh start, just look at the environmental art.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Utopia_world_concept_art
if things like this would be added in GW2 as a true expansion it can only improve the game, only Anet has the power to ether make it a success or screw it up.

Utopia

Posted by: lorddavito.2395

lorddavito.2395

Since Factions (Cantha Release) won’t probably go live thanks to the Korean stuff that won’t/can’t be added thanks to NCSoft, then yes, Utopia will make a big chance to go live instead of a release they can’t make yet everyone begs for.

Utopia seems to be a nice way to expand GW2 and it has been long planned in gw1 but didn’t go live anyway. They might have reworked and refined what they already had. Aetherblades, flying air ships, the amount of technology we have in this game atm and so much more will be available in Utopia (if it will hit the world of gw2 ofcourse).

It would be THE spot where scarlet could’ve found and forged her army together, I mean.. the Aetherblades can’t just pop out of the moon and fly airships to Tyria, ay?

-Sâmbuca

Utopia

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

if things like this would be added in GW2 as a true expansion it can only improve the game, only Anet has the power to ether make it a success or screw it up.

OMG .. that is bad … really bad :
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:%22Beetle_Final%22_concept_art.jpg

I mean .. look at that picture .. that beetle is used as a MOUNT !!

But more serious, there are really some cool pictures there

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Utopia

EdwinLi.1284

OMG .. that is bad … really bad :
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:%22Beetle_Final%22_concept_art.jpg

I mean .. look at that picture .. that beetle is uses as a MOUNT !!

But more serious, there are really some cool pictures there

Ya it would be great if they manage to add Utopia into GW2.

Utopia was only scrapped and some of its concept used for EotN and GW2 because they had some material to base the Asura on.

However, that giant Technology city would be a interesting place to explore and the unreleased Tech Mage class sounds fun if they manage to finish it and add it into GW2 since that was meant to the GW1 counterpart to Engineer.

Utopia

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

But we already had mounts in GW1: desert wurms and siege devourers. I’m betting the idea behind the beetle was similar to the siege devourers.

Utopia

VergilDeZaniah.3295

But we already had mounts in GW1: desert wurms and siege devourers. I’m betting the idea behind the beetle was similar to the siege devourers.

Or maybe like many “things” on artworks: just part of the artwork without a real purpose or presence in the game, like for examples the spears we’ve seen on many GW2 artworks

Son of Elonia.

Utopia

EdwinLi.1284

Or maybe like many “things” on artworks: just part of the artwork without a real purpose or presence in the game, like for examples the spears we’ve seen on many GW2 artworks

Who knows we may get a Javelin Weapon later in GW2 for that GW1 Paragon style gameplay.

Utopia

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Who knows we may get a Javelin Weapon later in GW2 for that GW1 Paragon style gameplay.

That’s all I could wish for ^^

Son of Elonia.

Utopia

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The artwork and style of Utopia went into Eye of the North, mainly the Tarnished Coast (and from there into GW2).

And some of the designs went into GW2. For example the Making Of book that comes with the Collectors Edition says that they wanted to do something like the dynamic event chains or Living Story – quests released weekly that branch based on what most players do. But they decided it was impossible to do it in GW1, so they made a whole new game.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Utopia

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Some, no, more like all of the concepts were redrawn and then used. Tho some are trashed…
God monolith, turned into Asura Golem…
Tech city? Rata Sum is the tech city.
Tech mage, I recall it’s “Chrono mage”, which manipulated time.
Mounts, trashed for the Asuran Waypoints.
Hut designs went to Norn housings
Aztek faces, pretty much redrawn into Asuran styled structures.
Hey, there’s some stuff similar to Zephyr sanctum.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.