VERY Disappointed About Winter's Heart

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

Every year there is a holiday with a cool skin you can get from completing achievements, so on and so forth. This year, you have put a holiday only infusion item, but instead of the item being acquired through…..hard work, you have put it behind a wall of RNG gambling. This is not right and i am very disappointed. So basically there is no incentive here except buying a bunch of Wintersday gifts and opening them over and over and over until MAYBE receiving ONE before Wintersday is OVER.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

This goes against the devs new way of thinking how?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

What about the wrapped weapons?
http://dulfy.net/2016/12/13/gw2-upcoming-items-from-wintersday-patch/
It’s time gated behind doing 5 days of Wintersday dailies, so no one has got it yet. I’m sure you can cope with that.

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

What about the wrapped weapons?
http://dulfy.net/2016/12/13/gw2-upcoming-items-from-wintersday-patch/
It’s time gated behind doing 5 days of Wintersday dailies, so no one has got it yet. I’m sure you can cope with that.

That’s something completely different and in no way reflects how RNG is bullkitten and something they have had “on the table” to fix for a long time. However, since you brought it up, time gated stuff is just as bad.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Every year there is a holiday with a cool skin you can get from completing achievements, so on and so forth. This year, you have put a holiday only infusion item, but instead of the item being acquired through…..hard work, you have put it behind a wall of RNG gambling. This is not right and i am very disappointed. So basically there is no incentive here except buying a bunch of Wintersday gifts and opening them over and over and over until MAYBE receiving ONE before Wintersday is OVER.

The game offers high-end items gated behind collections, behind RNG, and behind skill. A game needs a mix of these, because people like them all.

The Ghostly Infusion is gated behind raids (grind the currency), the Halloween Phospho was gated behind RNG. Winter’s Presence is gated behind a collection. In other words, there’s a mix.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

You can buy it off the trading post, and it’s basically the same cost as making winter’s presence. Zero RNG. None. What, exactly, are you complaining about? The lack of a time-gated collection that lets you feel like you “earned it”, when in reality it’s just a gold/mat sink?

Zelendel

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can buy them from the Trading Post.

I know it’s not an ideal alternative, but it is another option and one which requires no RNG. I collect mini pets and there’s been several times when I’ve literally begged Anet to make an account-bound RNG mini tradable so I have a back-up option (most notably the first Wintersday when there were 4 new minis only obtained from gem-store RNG boxes).

It also means they will continue to be available after Wintersday. And if you don’t want Winter’s Presence (or already have it) you can get a lot of gold to put towards it by selling the drinks and other drops from the gifts.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

Well most of you do have a point and I understand. It’s just dsappointing to me that they did that. Just seems like they had no idea on what to do so they just made the best item for the holidays only available through RNG. At the end of the day it devalues the item cause in a game with such high population, by the end of the month, such an epic item will drop is price drastically cause of how many people obtained it. If it would have been through HARD WORK the item would lose no value and it would be harder to obtain.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Winter’s Heart is not that bad. I thought Lord of Chaos was much worse with regards to the pacing, and Path of Daggers was a bit slow at times too.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: electricwater.1572

electricwater.1572

To be fair, most auras in this game are expensive. Since they are considered purely cosmetic items that you don’t necessarily NEED.

Think about it,

Ghostly Infusion – 230 gold
Preserved Queen Bee – 2,2k gold
Phospholuminescent Infusion – 1,23k
Nightfury – 1,25k
Chak Egg Sac – 10k

If anything, winter’s presence is an exception

I personally like winter’s heart

onevstheworld.2419

That’s something completely different and in no way reflects how RNG is bullkitten and something they have had “on the table” to fix for a long time.

How is it a completely different matter? OP’s first statement was that we don’t have any “cool skin you can get from completing achievements”:
Cool skin – check (arguable depending on how OCD you are with your gift wrapping)
Completing an achievement – check

However, since you brought it up, time gated stuff is just as bad.

Now who’s the one bringing up “completely different matters” then?

onevstheworld.2419

Well most of you do have a point and I understand. It’s just dsappointing to me that they did that. Just seems like they had no idea on what to do so they just made the best item for the holidays only available through RNG. At the end of the day it devalues the item cause in a game with such high population, by the end of the month, such an epic item will drop is price drastically cause of how many people obtained it. If it would have been through HARD WORK the item would lose no value and it would be harder to obtain.

What item are you talking about? You mentioned in your original post “holiday only infusion item”, which I assume to be Winter’s Presence. That item has no RNG… it’s a very predictable collection reward. You just need to work your butt off to get the 10,000 drinks.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Winter's_Presence

Edit: Apologies… I missed Winter’s Heart in the title. My contention about the Wrapped Weapons being the “skins you can get from completing achievements” still stands though.

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

for those have have played for a long time ‘wall of RNG gambling’ = random drop. random drop isn’t an evil, its simply a way of making drops more exciting. And if you don’t get it, guess what, the world doesn’t end. Some modern players expect guaranteed drops and everything they can see when they think they have earned it.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

And now the all important question, what is the approximate drop rate?? (lol)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yes, ultimately they made this easier to get than the shoulders, which I think is good, because a lot of people complained about the shoulders.

Some people want hard work that they have to do specific content, sometimes you have to do something you have to farm gold (which anyone can do at wintersday) and buy something.

Surely last year having the shoulders, beyond most casuals, was something that annoyed more people than this.

People should put themselves in the shoes of others a bit more. I don’t like raiding but I understand why it exists in the game and who it was made for. Last year was a grindy christmas gift than many didn’t like. Anet listened to those complaints and changed it up.

Just because you liked it last year, doesn’t mean changing it to something this year is something that’s worse for the game as a whole. I got the shoulders last year and I see how I can get the infusion this year.

The difference is this year I have a chance to get it just by opening gifts. That’s something I couldn’t do last year.

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

Shameful display!