Verbal abuse because of good drop

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vyktorkun.2643

Vyktorkun.2643

I’d send him teeth/skulls/nougat i got as drops and go “Have fun with your ten percent”.

Course that’s me, usually block, report, and move on

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m amazed, that there are still people trying to find spots to farm this crap… just topped by my amazement, that Anet did implement that crap at all, thinking about it, what this crap caused only all for a negativity in the game from begin on.
It leaded to the destruction of the game’s best weapon achievement working on spot in Rata Sum, what I will never forgive those perma farming idiots which don’t think about it, what they actions could mean for consequences for others and selfishly overfarmed so drastically the spot, that ANet just had no other choice than to change the ambient creatures there…

This spot showed absolutely best, why GW2 is awesome with NO KILL STEALING, but this god stupid maize balm nonsense brought all this crap with 1 strike in its most evil form back at this spot of conflict, where those selfish farmers immediatly thought, only because that spot is the most profitable place in the game for their farmings, that the spot “belongs to them”…

That some people got even suspended for this farming crap, went even too far, giving farmers more rights, than other casual players which do nothing to ruin the game’s economy

One can say now, no they didn#t because money flowed only from players to other players.
But indirectly it did, because whenever players find ways, how they can make exorbitrantly fast money in a game like GW2, without that new money gets created in that proces, they expect from all other players to do the SAME if they want to get fast money, to put that as a reason, why they can raise up the prices in the tradign post also significantly higher…. because the answer of it will be then.

You want to buy item x at the higher price from TP directly at the new higher price? Yes? then go farm maize balm till you have enough gold that I want.
its an indirect form of money inflation – expectional indirect inflation through massive money incoming speed.

It isn’t as hard hitting as like normal direct inflation, but expectional indirect inflation that is caused because of the masses expecting from you to farm certain things like all others, so that you can get enough gold to be able to pay the extreme raised prices, is to me personally alot worser and something, that should have never happened to GW2

I just hope Anet learned from this and will never ever bring anything similar into this game.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Man, people are they envious of loot drops? Hmmm. Yeah, just report and move on.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Report, block and move on. If it was genuinely an accident, then it is one of those things – certainly nothing of significance.

It’s an online video game where this is rampant sadly- such behaviour isn’t worth acknowledging or dignifying.

^ Exactly this.
Report, block, and move on.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

Just to play the devil’s advocate here, but maize farm groups tend to farm naked because they want to give everyone in the group a chance to tag for credit and get loot; sometimes there are people like

You should have stayed and trolled the maize farm and messed it up for them. blocking anyone who whispered or complained.

who roll by in full gear and troll for whatever reason you’re not aware of, so there’s probably a fair bit of accumulated saltiness even before you arrive. If people perceive you as denying them loot and getting something awesome in the process, they’re going to go from annoyed to toxic really quickly.

This isn’t to defend their attitudes, mind you, but it’s probably equally toxic to instantly vilify people without trying to understand why they’re being jerks in that brief minute of their lives you happened to encounter them at.

I was responding to the OP. To simplify it for you, the OP should have trolled the farm because those farmers were abusive to him and his gf.

Azhure.1857

Just to play the devil’s advocate here, but maize farm groups tend to farm naked because they want to give everyone in the group a chance to tag for credit and get loot; sometimes there are people like

You should have stayed and trolled the maize farm and messed it up for them. blocking anyone who whispered or complained.

who roll by in full gear and troll for whatever reason you’re not aware of, so there’s probably a fair bit of accumulated saltiness even before you arrive. If people perceive you as denying them loot and getting something awesome in the process, they’re going to go from annoyed to toxic really quickly.

This isn’t to defend their attitudes, mind you, but it’s probably equally toxic to instantly vilify people without trying to understand why they’re being jerks in that brief minute of their lives you happened to encounter them at.

I was responding to the OP. To simplify it for you, the OP should have trolled the farm because those farmers were abusive to him and his gf.

Two wrongs =/= Right

eithinan.9841

Two wrongs =/= Right

Two wrongs = Satisfaction

Especially when there are no real punishments handed out. Very few have been suspended unless there is a mass report from dozens of people. 1-2 people travelling across the map getting randomly abused by farmers wont get attention from the powers that be if they report it.

I stand by that reporting and blocking and moving on does not work, hasn’t worked, and wont work because it is dependent on anet enforcing those TOS violations. I have reported tons of people who have been abusive, either to me or others in map chat and NOTHING happens to them. So yeah report and block is like rolling over and taking it.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

My Question now Is not “what can we do” , the reports are sent and blocks are given and screenshots kept for Future reference, but rather: what do You guys think about people like this, and his behaviour?

It’s wrong. It’s comprehensible, but wrong. Mind you like others have said, it’s best for you to move on and get over it.

They’re absolutely worth acknowledging.

Nay, you’ll just feel bad and angry and you’ll have to carry that with you. If you ignore them and go on you don’t have to allow their actions to have any lasting (whether sort of long) impact on your mood.
Mind you I suck at this personally, so I speak from experience of the counter point.

Eh, just go play Eve Online or basically any competitive FPS game for a weeks, then come back to GW2 and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, where what you’ve described above is considered unusual.
(^_^)

Valid enough point. I do kinda feel that by the same merit we’re lowering the bar a bit.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

if only this was the mindset of the world…

No, they were suspended for killing the ambient creatures before they could be turned into an candy corn elemental. Even after a GM showed up and moved them to a empty instance (because they claimed to do it for weapon master achievements), they kept going back to the old one.
There is no rule to kill things in the open world for legitimate reasons. Even if you used your balm you do not own the candy corn elementals.

Man I still need to get my torch achievement done… but I kept running into maze farmers… should probably see if I can find a open spot againm but I guess that’s unrelated.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

If you want to farm weapon achievements I suggest the ascalon fractal. Go right after the tent. Some veterans which instantly die and respawn very fast.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Two wrongs =/= Right

Two wrongs = Satisfaction

Especially when there are no real punishments handed out. Very few have been suspended unless there is a mass report from dozens of people. 1-2 people travelling across the map getting randomly abused by farmers wont get attention from the powers that be if they report it.

I stand by that reporting and blocking and moving on does not work, hasn’t worked, and wont work because it is dependent on anet enforcing those TOS violations. I have reported tons of people who have been abusive, either to me or others in map chat and NOTHING happens to them. So yeah report and block is like rolling over and taking it.

Satisfaction won’t last long once your account gets suspended or banned.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. And the trolls are looking for a response. Trolling them back is a response and will only make them want to troll more. Because they got a reaction.

Best to cut off their “food” source. Report and block. And move on.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You don’t have to share anything. Nobody can force you or even request you to share anything. Drops are personal.

The very moment they use maize balm on an open area, they make those enemies ‘free for all’. A passer by may be a newbie and not know any player-made third party rules, so they can’t assume you were stealing the drops or demand you to give anything you got from a kill.

There’s several instances with respawning critters they could use if they want some privacy.

Just block them and go on with your gaming.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Block them and move on with the loot. If they continue to harass screenshot the conversation and report.

Congratulations on some really lucky RNG. Actually it is funny that your girlfriend snagged that just passing by. Bad karma for them and lucky karma for her. It is always nice to see someone get something nice randomly even if it is not yourself. Sounds like their bad behavior was it’s own reward, lol.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

They had an equal chance to loot the item and are just jealous that she got lucky. I understand the feel, though, because I certainly feel a little rage build up every time someone effortlessly is handed a precursor when I have bought 9 now, and only twice received Rage from the forge. It’s human nature to be jealous, and a human choice to react with bad manners.

What do I think of these people? I think they are entitled kittens who don’t deserve to have nice things, and that is all.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

If you guys had been following them around and killing the elementals they spawned with the maize balm they bought, they would have has a right to complain. But since you were passing through, hit something that appeared in front of you and got a lucky drop then that’s the way it goes. You don’t owe them anything. You weren’t part of their group or their agreement and people passing by and killing the elementals while on a public, open to all map is one of the hazards of doing this type of farm.

Block, report and put it behind you.

My fee for this advice is one Oontz necklace of the cat. ^^

Actually that’s the funny thing about this game not being instanced like gw1 is, they would have no right to complain. Every player has every right to go kill whatever enemies they want. By design with the shared exp and loot features from the very start and creed of their manifesto it was intended for people to be able to work together to kill. I’m not familiar with this farm but i get people are naked to tag to get more loot, but even if people did troll them and kill the enemies on purpose they still did nothing wrong. Annoying perhaps but not wrong. If anything running around without armor to get more loot seems to me more like an exploit. I’m not saying they are exploiting but it kind of seems to “lean” more in that direction b/c I can’t believe fighting naked for more loot was how anet intended it to be.

This kind of reminds me of the queensdale farm when people QQ’ed about people killing champs out of order and messing up the “train.” They did nothing wrong too. Even if on purpose to grief or whatever. When the game came out and the group event mechanics it was simply you see a champ, you and a few others around go kill it together and enjoy, no set order whatsoever.

I think people just need to get over themselves and go have more fun. If they think this is griefing they should play wow on a pvp server and try leveling up while constantly getting killed by max level players. Or other games where you’re about to kill a boss then an enemy player kills you, then kills the boss and gets the loot. Now that’s griefing lol (though it is fun on that one spvp map)

Posted by: Altair.6109

Altair.6109

Use your own maize balm , shame on you.
:)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Why do people do the whole maize balm farm, anyway? What are they all hoping they’ll get from it?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Why do people do the whole maize balm farm, anyway? What are they all hoping they’ll get from it?

An Oontz necklace of the cat apparently… :P

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Stuff.

Honestly, I’m seriously considering selling mine if they each fetch 5g.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Grinds for hours to find loot: All day
Magic find, boosters, food, bond fires spent: 5g

Random girl shows up. Kills an NPC. Finds epic drop. Walks away.

PRICELESS!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Grinds for hours to find loot: All day
Magic find, boosters, food, bond fires spent: 5g

Random girl shows up. Kills an NPC. Finds epic drop. Walks away.

PRICELESS!

For your RNG bags, there’s Maize Balm.

For everything else, there’s epic luck.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

here is a fantastic tip.

as all loot is personal and no one can tell what item u get. just don’t say or link anything that drops
these so called groups that “share 10%” don’t tell u about any decent drop either. they just use it to make 10% from you as you are silly enough to agree to share 10%

anyway congrats on the drop. it is indeed nice when u get something shiny drop. but the green eyed monster is a very high lvl and is highly aggressive and likes to fixate on targets. and is immune to all damage.

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

Report → Block → Move on.

or

Ignore → Move on.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

That doesn’t makes my point any less relevant.

Trolling doesn’t make the situation any better, it just reinforces the toxic attitudes of the farmers who have developed against people in full gear “kill stealing” and conditions people who didn’t have that attitude yet towards it; to put it simply you’re just vindicating the jerks and making more jerks in the process, who are going to turn around and grief others like the OP – and that’s going to be as much on your head as it is on theirs.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

All those people in this thread, giving the same block-ignore, ‘bad egg’ advice.

I bet if they spent 4hrs or whatever on some farm, receiving little, and then some person passes by and flukes a big drop and links it, i bet a few curse words would hit the air at least.

I’m not saying it’s the correct response. But anyway, it happens that all the people who would experience that initial emotional reaction aren’t to be found on this forum. Which is nice of course.

Azhure.1857

All those people in this thread, giving the same block-ignore, ‘bad egg’ advice.

I bet if they spent 4hrs or whatever on some farm, receiving little, and then some person passes by and flukes a big drop and links it, i bet a few curse words would hit the air at least.

I’m not saying it’s the correct response. But anyway, it happens that all the people who would experience that initial emotional reaction aren’t to be found on this forum. Which is nice of course.

My guild runs a WBT for a couple hours each night and we have had many precursors drop over the last 2 years. A few of those drops hit players that were new to the game, had just joined us, or they were very infrequent attendees. Did I get angry or jealous when it happened? Not at all. I just don’t place as much value in the possessions found in this game.

Just because you can’t wrap your mind around how other types of players behave in this game — doesn’t mean its false when they behave differently than you do.

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

Bad egg advice? How come? How do you suggest they react on this scenario?

Kedarrian.2905

My guild runs a WBT for a couple hours each night and we have had many precursors drop over the last 2 years. A few of those drops hit players that were new to the game, had just joined us, or they were very infrequent attendees. Did I get angry or jealous when it happened? Not at all. I just don’t place as much value in the possessions found in this game.

Just because you can’t wrap your mind around how other types of players behave in this game — doesn’t mean its false when they behave differently than you do.

WBT = world boss timer events i take it? Invalid comparison, same with someone fluking a great drop during a dungeon run. An event to which we all say gtz, especially if it is a guildmate. There’s a big difference. And that’s a difference i can definitely wrap my poor little head around. Can you also?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Maybe they would, but not from me. Seriously, it’s not like a newbie getting a precursor drop in front of me was that uncommon an event. On such occasions, instead of cursing them, what i usually do (and feel) is congratulate them on being lucky.

There’s a big difference. And that’s a difference i can definitely wrap my poor little head around. Can you also?

That’s the point – i can’t. I see no difference.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Kedarrian.2905

Bad egg advice? How come? How do you suggest they react on this scenario?

Bad eggs, as in saying they are just bad people. Saying that they have no reason to express grievance.

Incase you previously read my comment differently in using that term.

Azhure.1857

WBT = world boss timer events i take it? Invalid comparison, same with someone fluking a great drop during a dungeon run. An event to which we all say gtz, especially if it is a guildmate. There’s a big difference. And that’s a difference i can definitely wrap my poor little head around. Can you also?

Apologies if I insulted you. I could argue, however, how your resulting attitude is a prime example of why you believe everyone would respond in kind under that situation.

In response to the comparison — a farm is a farm. WBT, maize, Silverwastes, champ trains, dungeons, etc etc. We throw many hours into all of them and if someone that doesn’t suddenly appears and walks away with a grand item? Its all the same regardless of which farm it was. My reaction to such a lucky drop is also always the same. I’m happy for them.

eithinan.9841

That doesn’t makes my point any less relevant. Sure it does, you just don’t want to acknowledge it

Trolling doesn’t make the situation any better, agree, the victim in this verbal assault will never be able to unread those cruel attacks it just reinforces the toxic attitudes of the farmers so they were a toxic part of the community already who have developed against people in full gear “kill stealing” and conditions people who didn’t have that attitude yet towards it; to put it simply you’re just vindicating the jerks and making more jerks in the process,The “jerks” in this scenario were the toxic farmers not the 2 people running by who are going to turn around and grief others like the OP – he and his gf didn’t grief anybodyand that’s going to be as much on your head as it is on theirs.I can only hope so, make the toxic players rage quit

You are justifying toxic players verbally assaulting someone and then calling the victim of this a “jerk”. What is wrong with you?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Bad eggs, as in saying they are just bad people. Saying that they have no reason to express grievance.

There is a huge difference in a person going “Aw man, I hate so you much!” in a clearly joking manner when another person posts a good drop and a person harassing someone over it, through map chat AND whispers. Of course we all get frustrated with the results of farming and RNG on occasion, but I would like to think that most of us aren’t total jerks who take it out on others just because RNG was on their side.

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

meh just block them and move on, don’t report them i’d say :p

they’re just farming for a very long time just trying to get that 1 item, then suddenly a new puggie joins in, kills 1-2 elementals (where they’ve paid for) and gets the best possible item. i’d be pretty frustrated aswell. However i do understand this shouldn’t necesserely lead to anger and insulting that person, i’d be kittened off aswell. Real problem in this story is just the absolute rng of gw2 it’s just ridiculous if you consider the fact that pressing your autoattack 1 time can lead to a drop worth equal to 100 hrs of farming.

just get a thick skin and try to understand that they’re not necesseraly insulting you, but instead just hate the way rng works in gw2 ;p. Also by pinging your item they might thought that you were just teasing with it, so they felt abit offended.

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

I’m usually pretty lucky with drops/mf and such and I actually get some bad tells or cursing from peeps on ts fairly often. These are from people I consider my friends or at least guildmates. I just try to ignore it.
I think its just a matter of jealousy, usually from people that havnt gotten X thing yet and rather than be happy for someone else they feel bitter and entitled; usually the people that make those ‘unlucky account’ threads.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

Have her ping the item to him untill he breaks and cries. Then laugh as you count your money. Also send him one copper to fix his life.

Glorious Human Master Race

eithinan.9841

I think its just a matter of jealousy, usually from people that havnt gotten X thing yet and rather than be happy for someone else they feel bitter and entitled;

This

just get a thick skin and try to understand that they’re not necesseraly insulting you,

Yeah just roll over and take it….or you can…

Have her ping the item to him untill he breaks and cries. Then laugh as you count your money. Also send him one copper to fix his life.

I like this idea too.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Any people that farm an exploit for things are toxic members of society and the game.

Yes thats a bug and an exploit, anyone who farms exploits are generally horrible people with no sense of morality anyway.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Any people that farm an exploit for things are toxic members of society and the game.

Yes thats a bug and an exploit, anyone who farms exploits are generally horrible people with no sense of morality anyway.

How is what they are farming either a bug or an exploit?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Wait how is it an exploit or a bug? The maize balm works exactly as intended. The ambient creatures spawn exactly as working. So I’m not seeing an exploit anywhere.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Izziee.8392

Izziee.8392

I’ve been away quite some time in GW2, can someone explain somethings to me please ;p

What’s pinging? Just linking the item in chat or?

What’s a maize farm :O

What do you mean with the mobs being tagged? I thought loot was free for all in this game (One thing I really like about GW2) are these special mobs that won’t share loot?

Seriously, if I’m running through a map and decide to kill some mobs (which, I pretty much kill everything in my path 24/7 regardless of what it is) I don’t care how much kittening someone does, my loot is my loot. I despise ninja’s and think they’ve ruined the community of many games, and a good reason why I dislike PuG’s and things as in (other) MMO’s I usually greed and find everyone else needing, but in a game where everything is shared (as in, I initiate the tag, kill the mob and you’ve hit it, we both still get loot) then I owe you kitten.

I’m a bit confused about this :O

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Pinging is linking an object in chat.

Maize balm farm: you throw a vial of maize balm at an ambient and it turn into a candy corn elemental, which can be killed and which drops loot. The maize balm costs to make (it sells for about 12 silver each at the moment). The elementals can be tagged and the kills shared. People group up and share the cost of the maize balm and all in the group tag the elementals and all get loot.

In this case though, OP was passing by and innocently killed one. The farm group overreacted because she got a very expensive drop and they were angry about her good luck.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vial_of_Maize_Balm

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.