Verbal abuse by enemies in WvW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Lately I’ve noticed something odd. When I kill enemies on World vs. World, they are somehow able to whisper to me with insults. I thought every enemy was named just [servername] [rank name]. I would like Arenanet to close this exploit, as it makes playing unenjoyable.

Posted by: Mike Hawk.4835

Mike Hawk.4835

Lately I’ve noticed something odd. When I kill enemies on World vs. World, they are somehow able to whisper to me with insults. I thought every enemy was named just [servername] [rank name]. I would like Arenanet to close this exploit, as it makes playing unenjoyable.

From what I understand, this is done by them adding you to their friends list (or blocking you), then your actual player name comes up for them to whisper you.

Maguuma – [VEIN] – [CTB]

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I think it’s been there for a long time. AFAIK they can block you/invite to party, check the display name and then whisper to it.

I’ve also seen it and would like it to be fixed.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It is best to report such abuse using the in-game reporting tool. Then, of course, block the abusive player.

Good luck.

Zenith.6403

From what I understand, this is done by them adding you to their friends list (or blocking you), then your actual player name comes up for them to whisper you.

- Indeed. When I blocked the abuser I can now see their charactername, accountname, online status, current location and number of achievement points!

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Does this happen all the time to you? Is it people from specific guilds or all kind of people? (Based on what tags you’re seeing on the people when you’re killing them.) What server are these people on?

You might be able to contact someone from their guild or server community and complain. See if their own community might reign them in.

Zenith.6403

It has happened 3 times this week, but I had received no contacts in the past. I’m playing in Seafarer’s Rest server.

Posted by: Lenor.8197

Lenor.8197

Those whispers are an indicator that you’re doing something correctly. Summarily block and report those angries, or if you want to have a laugh, pull their tongue a bit. Their views on the world can be quite amusing, regardless of server.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Take a screenshot of all of the PMs and start a collection!

Like trophies they are.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

^ Take it as a compliment. Block swiftly if they persist.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Seems like a lot of work just to rage on someone, even if I were to get mad I am just far too lazy to go through the effort to do something like that.

I say report them, toxic behavior and verbal abuse can earn them a nice Christmas present from Arena Net in the form of a temporary ban over the holiday period.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The first thing you should do is block the person. I can see you know that, and you did it. So if someone is harassing you after being blocked, they’re making a concerted effort to harass, and we don’t take that sort of thing lightly.

So use the in-game report system and your report will be seen by an agent. But if this is becoming a real or continuing issue (not a once-in-a-while anomaly) you may wish to submit a support ticket and an agent will then review a bit more of the history.

Submit:

• Your character or display name
  • A time
  • Your time zone
  • A date
  • Any other info you can provide, such as the name (character or display) of the person or person involved in harassing of offensive comments.

I just spoke with the CS leader and he said these tickets will be reviewed so do take advantage of that if you need to do so, while knowing that for most issues of chat violations the in-game system works great (and the player involved in a violation is often gone very quickly).

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

I just tell people like that something like:

• You are a God and we all worship the ground you walk on.
  • Your shining magnificence makes my life seem shallow and meaningless in comparison.
  • My inability to move pixels as quickly or precisely as you has left me bereft of hope, a devastated shell of a man.
  • My entire concept of self-worth is videogame-based and my failures in the virtual world taint my life in the real world.
  • My wife told she was leaving me for someone who plays GW2 like “a real man” and my children tell their friends I died in an EVE Online conspiracy gone wrong.

Then I point out that instead of practicing virtual combat, I make love to my wife and parent my children. Haters be hatin’ people with actual accomplishments.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I would like Arenanet to close this exploit, as it makes playing unenjoyable.

I want to talk about this “exploit.” Myself and a friend were killed by four others. One of them knelt by me, and whispered an apology for jumping us. We engaged in some friendly teasing back and forth, and became friends for a little while. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to talk to your enemy. Especially if a roamer is waiting around for fights, my friends have invited those people to party to duel and give feedback. Whispers aren’t always negative, so I would not like a way to talk to my opponent removed. It is your choice to engage in an argument with someone harassing you. They will shut up once blocked.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

• Your shining magnificence makes my life seem shallow and meaningless in comparison.
  • My inability to move pixels as quickly or precisely as you has left me bereft of hope, a devastated shell of a man.
  • My entire concept of self-worth is videogame-based and my failures in the virtual world taint my life in the real world.
  • My wife told she was leaving me for someone who plays GW2 like “a real man” and my children tell their friends I died in an EVE Online conspiracy gone wrong.

Then I point out that instead of practicing virtual combat, I make love to my wife and parent my children. Haters be hatin’ people with actual accomplishments.

I have to say I’m impressed with your creativity. I just block ‘em and ignore, but I imagine there’s more than one stunned person in Tyria, trying to figure out “Did that player just diss me, or was that a compliment?”

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: airick.9850

airick.9850

Kill them with kindness ^

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

To the OP, I hope they DO NOT close this as being able to communicate with those on the other teams has value. I usually don’t but, just the other day I rekt’d someone unusually hard. I assumed something was up and after whispering it ended up they were not WvW players and just there to get map complete. Which I gladly give others room to do so. Even gave them tips to use Millenium and GW2score to watch for when the POI’s will become available for them. Another was the other day I noticed an enemy had a certain level of buffs and I whispered and we chit chatted for a bit. Even, in EB while transform RP’ing we talk with each other.

So no, not everyone is obnoxious or rude in WvW. The Block function is there to handle players on a case by case basis. Please do not ruin it for everyone because of a few bad instances. Follow Gaile’s advice and it’ll all work out.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

haha this is to good

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I get a chuckle out of people like that in WvW. Usually they just lost a fight and want to call you out for having a cheesy build or for having someone assist in putting them down. The wife and I usually run as a duo and one guy was so ticked off at being killed repeatedly he whispered both of us and started with the verbal abuse. We both were on our Rangers, he was a thief. I did not block him immediately, I just kept answering his rants with “you died, I lived, you lost, I won, L2P” After about a dozen of those replies (love arrow up) he went ballistic, swore up and down at me, blocked me and logged out. I never heard from him since.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

I think it’s been there for a long time. AFAIK they can block you/invite to party, check the display name and then whisper to it.

I’ve also seen it and would like it to be fixed.

This has happened to me once; I took it as a back-handed compliment and was rather amused. But that didn’t stop me from immediately blocking the kitten.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Kill them with kindness ^

Personally IRL I always behave as such, it’s part of who I am.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Solus.3926

Solus.3926

I like your thinking …

my usual retort to such people is … “don’t be an idiot all your life, take a day off!” … then I’ll block them.

I am the menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

I just troll them hard until they end up blocking me.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I just spoke with the CS leader and he said these tickets will be reviewed so do take advantage of that if you need to do so, while knowing that for most issues of chat violations the in-game system works great (and the player involved in a violation is often gone very quickly).

And if the underlying issue gets fixed and it takes X hours to do so, a bunch of people at support will be free from dealing with the consequences for some X*10 hours.

20 level 80s and counting.