Very confused about guild halls.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Marth Aurion.6425

Marth Aurion.6425

It has been about 6 months for me since I was actively playing. Over the last week or so, I’ve been loving the WvW tourney and exploring some of the new fractal content.

But something has been bugging me since the day this game came out.

Where are guild halls?

I’m sorry if this sounds like this is a rant-post. I’m really just confused and a little hurt.

My friends and I have played Guild Wars games for over 6 years now and have loved every second of it. After looking at the feature patch, I was very impressed with the changes they were making and could not wait to see what happens next!

After some research around the web, I found out about a few things happening this year and anticipation began to grow. All of that was crushed after I read this on the Wiki:

Guild halls and player housing are not currently being worked on.

As someone who knows what guild halls were like in the first game, I feel very frustrated and a bit hurt by this information. Guild halls housed some of my best memories from Guild Wars. They served as the hub all of us could meet and frankly do whatever we wanted.

Since I first began this games beta, I have longed to see this feature implemented into the game.

I understand how Anet operates- they want it to be perfect and be released at a perfect time. But according to every source I could find, a vital component of what the game is named after is missing! After I heard we would not have guild halls on launch day, everyone I knew was under the assumption that we would get them after the game was a couple months in.

It’s nearly been two years now, and it sounds like guild halls are not even in the works.

TLDR: Where are guild halls, I’m frustrated because they’re not out after almost two years and am a little kitten.

Anyone else feel the same?

Is there an ArenaNet representative that could tell me if they’re at least plausible to be released in 2014?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I don’t feel the same, mainly because my guild of 2.5 people probably wouldn’t be able to build or buy one.

And you’re hurt by this?? Seriously? I’m not sure you really know what hurt is.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

AFIK they are still not being worked on, but their introduction has not been ruled out. So it’s not a never, just a not yet.

I suspect making a bog standard guild hall is fairly easy, but with games now offering more customisation options(rift, landmark etc etc) Arenanet would want to make them as feature rich as in other games. I.e something not worth doing if it’s not worth doing right.

Also, while GH’s would be great, perhaps Anet’s feelings is that people would hang out in there rather than the open world thus making the game seem… emptier.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Marth Aurion.6425

I don’t feel the same, mainly because my guild of 2.5 people probably wouldn’t be able to build or buy one.

Perhaps I’m not being clear enough. I was using the word hurt to emphasize that it is a bit more than frustration for me at this point.

Also, if the guild halls worked anything like they did in the first game, I guarantee you would be able to afford/build a hall.

AFIK they are still not being worked on, but their introduction has not been ruled out. So it’s not a never, just a not yet.

I suspect making a bog standard guild hall is fairly easy, but with games now offering more customisation options(rift, landmark etc etc) Arenanet would want to make them as feature rich as in other games. I.e something not worth doing if it’s not worth doing right.

Also, while GH’s would be great, perhaps Anet’s feelings is that people would hang out in there rather than the open world thus making the game seem… emptier.

Perhaps, that is something I actively think about when it comes to the implementation of the halls into the game. They did not seem to take too much away from the original game’s population, but hey, this is a whole new playing field.

(edited by Marth Aurion.6425)

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

No need to be confused about anything Anet has no interest in making. They have sent some very strong messages this last couple of months about what they think of roleplaying and accessories for such.

If they couldn’t even manage a balance patch during last Living Story because of the work involved, don’t expect any epoch-making additions soon.

Marth Aurion.6425

They have sent some very strong messages this last couple of months about what they think of roleplaying and accessories for such.

What exactly have they said? I have not seen anything relating to this, but the purpose of the guild hall is not really for roleplaying. As with any area it could be done in a guild hall, but that’s not the main emphasis on the area.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Perhaps I’m not being clear enough. I was using the word hurt to emphasize that it is a bit more than frustration for me at this point.

Also, if the guild halls worked anything like they did in the first game, I guarantee you would be able to afford/build a hall.

Maybe or maybe not. Won’t know until they’re introduced.

And I did get the hyperbolic use of the word “hurt”. Maybe “grossly disappointed” would be a better fit.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Well let’s not play on words shall we, OP is annoyed and you perfectly got that.

As we know ArenaNet doesn’t like to say they’re gonna do “that”. Remember the pre-release ?

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Posted by: Infuse.5104

Infuse.5104

They are making sure the potatoe is served hot and with gravy on it. I mean by that that they won’t add guild halls without GvG, and they seem to want to refine GvG as much as possible and find the best idea and concept for it before releasing it.

I’d be really dissapointed if the guild halls and the Gvg were made too quick.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

TBH, despite many looking forward to the guild halls, I don’t know what is the purpose of a guild hall.

I think the guild hall is related to GW1? With guild hall means the possibility of system supported GvG leaderboard?

Anyway, the game’s guild related gameplay is underdevelop.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I would love guild halls, personally. However, if they don’t add them I also wouldn’t care. I never played GW1, so I didn’t have any expectations going into GW2. The last game I played that even had a guild hall was Asheron’s Call, back in 2002 or something. Every game since then I’ve played never had them and I don’t recall anyone caring about it.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Guild Halls do have a game purpose, a social place for guilds to meet and hold events, but good guild halls come with a lot of customization and that all have to be put into the game from scratch. It’s a lot more work than it appears. Is there also a problem with zone populations being lower than guild populations? That would make it impossible to get a full guild together whatever else happens.

If players want to dance around and use fun boxes in a big guild hall then the Norn have plenty to spare.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They are making sure the potatoe is served hot and with gravy on it. I mean by that that they won’t add guild halls without GvG, and they seem to want to refine GvG as much as possible and find the best idea and concept for it before releasing it.

They are making sure the potato is served hot and with gravy on it.’

Lol. I read that post, as well. ; )

I’m not sure they would implement Guild Halls in GW2 as they did in GW1, at all.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I wouldn’t count on it happening.

ANet seems to have a very strong (and growing) disconnect from what a lot of players want in the game to make the experience more enjoyable. They keep focusing and refocusing on a few aspects that they consider important, without grasping that the “unimportant” parts are important to us.

It’s like a sports car. Imagine having one made just for you by some auto company. It’s fairly good, though the paint job’s a bit questionable. You drive it for a bit, and tell them that it’s fast, though it’s not the fastest, and the seat could be better. They take it in, and improve the speed. You try it for a while, and tell them that it’s even better now, though you’d like the seat looked at. And the hot pink trim kind of detracts from the metallic red paint job.

Thus begins a pattern of you taking it in for improvements, and they improve the speed, the handling, and the braking. Meanwhile, you can’t enjoy the (technically superior) car due to the discomfort of driving it. You ask and beg about the seat being improved, and maybe that paint job, but they don’t seem to hear you. And then, one day, you pick it up to discover that they’ve removed the seat entirely to make the car lighter for more speed, and fixed the uneven paint job by painting the whole thing puke green.

This is ANet, so focused on building a technically superior game that they can’t grasp the other issues. Things like proper adjustment of town clothes or guild halls? Those are “other issues”.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

ANet seems to have a very strong (and growing) disconnect from what a lot of players want in the game to make the experience more enjoyable. They keep focusing and refocusing on a few aspects that they consider important, without grasping that the “unimportant” parts are important to us.

It’s like a sports car. Imagine having one made just for you by some auto company. It’s fairly good, though the paint job’s a bit questionable. You drive it for a bit, and tell them that it’s fast, though it’s not the fastest, and the seat could be better. They take it in, and improve the speed. You try it for a while, and tell them that it’s even better now, though you’d like the seat looked at. And the hot pink trim kind of detracts from the metallic red paint job.

Thus begins a pattern of you taking it in for improvements, and they improve the speed, the handling, and the braking. Meanwhile, you can’t enjoy the (technically superior) car due to the discomfort of driving it. You ask and beg about the seat being improved, and maybe that paint job, but they don’t seem to hear you. And then, one day, you pick it up to discover that they’ve removed the seat entirely to make the car lighter for more speed, and fixed the uneven paint job by painting the whole thing puke green.

This is ANet, so focused on building a technically superior game that they can’t grasp the other issues. Things like proper adjustment of town clothes or guild halls? Those are “other issues”.

“technically superior game”? There are games with collision detection that’s more advanced, there are games with more advanced graphical settings (GW2 is just DX9) there are games who do have a big open seamless world.

I think you mean they try to be different or innovative or focus on things like the LS?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

“technically superior game”? There are games with collision detection that’s more advanced, there are games with more advanced graphical settings (GW2 is just DX9) there are games who do have a big open seamless world.

I think you mean they try to be different or innovative or focus on things like the LS?

“Technically superior game”, in this case, is in ANet’s point of view. For example, the Living Story means they’re giving more content updates than any other game out there, so they see it as making them the technically superior game in that respect. Some people may agree with them, some won’t.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Then they’ll come out and say that the way people are playing GvG isn’t how they wanted it to be played out and then will nerf pointless crap that had no reason to be nerfed outside of gimmicks. Or they’ll just say “you guys aren’t playing the way we wanted you to play this game mode”

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I’d just like an update on guild halls and player housing from the devs. Obviously its something people care about, because it keeps coming up. The current situation seems to be one where they’ve got little to lose in making a statement. You figure, there’s three groups of people. Those who want them, those who don’t, and those who don’t care. If they make an announcement whether yes or no… who’s really going to get upset? Nobody is going to quit playing over it either way at this point… and then we can just stop speculating. Its annoying that we still don’t know what’s up with it, and we’re speculating from non-specific soundbites that are a year or two old.

(edited by Tagus Eleuthera.7305)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yeah it’s pretty saddening~ when GW2 was announced one of the first things I thought about is “I can’t wait to see what they do with Guild Halls in GW2” I immediately assumed that was going to be a major feature that was going to be improved on and have all kinds of new customization options.

Unfortunately the thing I couldn’t wait to see them do with Guild Halls ended up being their action of throwing them into the trash can. u.u I partially blame SPvP because if they did stick with Guild Halls part of the new customization would revolve around making a custom pvp zone for dueling/practice and possibly GvG.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

TLDR: Where are guild halls, I’m frustrated because they’re not out after almost two years and am a little kitten.

You’re upset because a feature that ANet never promised to implement hasn’t been implemented yet?

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

You’re upset because a feature that ANet never promised to implement hasn’t been implemented yet?

“Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1, and then leaves it in silent developmental limbo for years.” — Abraham Lincoln

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Guild halls were a pretty big deal to a lot of GW1 players. I, like many, assumed that Anet wouldn’t scrap something that people really liked. But in the nearly 2 years this game has been out, they’ve proven me wrong many a time in that regard.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: DonRobeez.3560

DonRobeez.3560

Honestly, they dropped everything that made the Guild Wars so amazing.

Infested Kerrigan I [TaG]
Gunnar’s Hold
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GloryKittens

Andred.1087

Honestly, they dropped everything that made the Guild Wars so amazing.

It seems to me like many of the recent changes they’ve made to the game are slowly drifting back toward the good parts of GW1, like the megaservers (they really need to add districts back in), and free trait refunds (now how about saving/loading builds?)

Maybe soon they’ll see the light

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Not sure, but I think you have mistaken cash-cow for technically superior.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Guild Halls have no place in Guild Wars 2.

The Guild Halls in GW1 were launchpads for GvG – Guilds fought at each other’s guild halls. In GW2, guilds don’t fight each other, they have some makeshift zergfest in WvW zones and that’s it.

Since guilds are not in wars in GW2, what’s the point of Guild halls? I wish they change the name of the game to “Guild Not in Wars”.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Guild Halls were one of the most amazing things that any MMO ever offered. ArenaNet, however, in their infinite clueless-ness, never worked out that they were an accident that went far, far beyond simple PvP and became something that really mattered to gamers. Guild Halls are simply made of win!

Which is why today’s ArenaNet can’t even fathom them.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

TBH, despite many looking forward to the guild halls, I don’t know what is the purpose of a guild hall.

I think the guild hall is related to GW1? With guild hall means the possibility of system supported GvG leaderboard?

Anyway, the game’s guild related gameplay is underdevelop.

A “guild hall/home/whatever” is not associated with the fact the games are called “Guild Wars,” nor is that why there’s GvG. The games are called “Guild Wars” because they are precisely what happened in the game world’s history (lore) before the ‘time’ of GW1. GvGs are somewhat friendly matches between guilds, not the out and out wars that previously happened.

Also, a guild hall in gw2 is pointless. Yes, I get that there are good uses for one, but unless the map capacity was 500 players (something anet claims cant be done), large guilds get told “kitten you” yet again because they cant fit all of their members into a guild hall.

Andred.1087

The Guild Halls in GW1 were launchpads for GvG – Guilds fought at each other’s guild halls. In GW2, guilds don’t fight each other, they have some makeshift zergfest in WvW zones and that’s it.

Since guilds are not in wars in GW2, what’s the point of Guild halls? I wish they change the name of the game to “Guild Not in Wars”.

Mind you that the original Guild Wars for which the first game was named ended before the game’s story even began. It wasn’t called Guild Wars because of GvG, that was just a thing they put in the game, and didn’t put in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Guild Halls are one of the very few absolute genius inventions of ArenaNet. No-one else are doing them, however, so ArenaNet never bothered.

A million ninja points to the dev from 2005 who thought them up. Absolute fail to the idiot manager who squashed the idea in GW2.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

If you want guild halls, go play GW1. Simple as that.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Mind you that the original Guild Wars for which the first game was named ended before the game’s story even began. It wasn’t called Guild Wars because of GvG, that was just a thing they put in the game, and didn’t put in Guild Wars 2.

Amazing feat of backwards thinking. Sure, name a game Guild Wars, have Guild Battles at launch, Promote GvG championships with cash prizes, Guild Rating, Rank, Emote, Observe mode, Gold capes, and champion title, but no, Guild Wars is about a lore event that is barely mentioned. Logic.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

they are dust in the wind

Posted by: Exocet.7306

Exocet.7306

The general feeling I have is that they don’t care what players want. They follow a business model where temp content is a showcase to the gem market.

I feel the same as the OP about playing a game called Guild Wars with no guild oriented content, like GvG wars. We have the guild missions but those became old really fast.

Overall the communication between dev teams and players is really bad. Most of the time you see none participating in the debates. Time to time a post from someone from Anet saying nothing interesting or important enough to matter.

There are so many good ideas in the forum to make the game more fun to play but there is none at the other side listening or willing to consider a different point of view.

With time that “hurt” you feel right now becomes resignation and then indifference.

Posted by: DjJazzman.4031

DjJazzman.4031

Let’s look at it like this:

Two major games (or one major and one half-baked piece of crap I regret buying in the first place game) and one upcoming release game have announced they are introducing Guild Housing AND Player housing.

1) World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: They have announced Garrisons on Draenor, where you can build up your own town and have NPC’s craft and run for mats for you, as well as make it a great place for Roleplaying and Guild meetings.

2) Old Republic: While I’m just waiting for this game to eventually die as it is just a vain attempt at creating a new Star Wars Galaxies, they are introducing player housing on all the capital worlds, Nar Shadaa, and now Tattooine. They have also announced guild capital warships and a system where guilds can conquer a system.

3) Wildstar: They have player housing much similar to how WoW is putting out garrisons, your own plot where you can create crafting spots and portals to other regions and dungeons. However, what I see with wildstar’s player housing that is superior to WoW’s is that there is a massive amount of customization on the grand scale of Star Wars Galaxies’ housing.

With these companies taking steps towards player/guild housing, and with the Guild Wars franchise having a history with guild halls, I doubt we will “never” see guild halls. Just give it time, keep speaking up on the matter and we will eventually get something from the Reds.

Leyologist Tibbol, [I]Arcane Leyline Expert and Synergetics Graduate[/I] Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Let’s look at it like this:

Two major games (or one major and one half-baked piece of crap I regret buying in the first place game) and one upcoming release game have announced they are introducing Guild Housing AND Player housing.

1) World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: They have announced Garrisons on Draenor, where you can build up your own town and have NPC’s craft and run for mats for you, as well as make it a great place for Roleplaying and Guild meetings.

2) Old Republic: While I’m just waiting for this game to eventually die as it is just a vain attempt at creating a new Star Wars Galaxies, they are introducing player housing on all the capital worlds, Nar Shadaa, and now Tattooine. They have also announced guild capital warships and a system where guilds can conquer a system.

3) Wildstar: They have player housing much similar to how WoW is putting out garrisons, your own plot where you can create crafting spots and portals to other regions and dungeons. However, what I see with wildstar’s player housing that is superior to WoW’s is that there is a massive amount of customization on the grand scale of Star Wars Galaxies’ housing.

With these companies taking steps towards player/guild housing, and with the Guild Wars franchise having a history with guild halls, I doubt we will “never” see guild halls. Just give it time, keep speaking up on the matter and we will eventually get something from the Reds.

You forget AA what is important because it’s F2P so will have a similar payment model as GW2 has at this moment. Guild-halls however are Guild-castles that are in WvW like maps where guild can fight each other (not a perfect system I did hear, but still) and houses are in the open world and can be on pvp or non-pvp maps. They also have a lot of customization.

So that’s another big release that will have player and guild-housing.

Next year there will also be EQN. That’s still a year off however it has always been a big player in the MMO scene. It will also have player housing and extremely customizable. (See landmark). That will also be F2P.

So yes, many big mmo’s are now releasing games with player-housing and so taking an innovative leap up on GW2 if GW2 does not act.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Bro, let me give it to you straight. With the way things have been in gw2, this is a game where Anet takes roughly 1.5 years to implement a feature as easy a last online feature in guilds. Guild halls with gvg’s would be amazing, but its one of those things that “they have on the radar”.