Very worried about the fetch quests.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I want to open by saying I have 3 lvl 80 on this account and my gf has another 2.
After 5 months we still play GW2 every day and we love it.

The worrying news is that current dailies are nothing short of blizzard fetch quests.
Kill mobs 0/10, gather items 0/10, ress people 0/10, craft 0/10.
A bundle of fetch quests you’re supposed to repeat every single day nonetheless, and it sticks to your screen until done.

They aren’t some flavor stuff you can ignore like they were before, they’re actually one the main ways to get endgame items now.
GW2, the “different” MMO against obsolete fetch quests and traditional MMO mechanics offering fetch quests as a daily way to get endgame items?
This must be a prank like the Ministrel.

I thought dailies would be a “rewarding Tyrian adventure” type of thing, where you get a list of world Events the player has the level requirement to partecipate to, i.e.:
- Kill Gargantula
- Complete 3 events in Bloodtime coast
- Defeat the Centaur King in Harathi Highlands

That way on top of not being wow quests, they also bring us around the world (which is something current dailies fail to do).

Seriously, GW2 haunting me with fetch quests is like the Chef of a 5 star Italian restaurant suggesting I order a cheeseburger.
It cannot be real.

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

I’ve got to say I prefer it this way. I can do the daily on whichever character of zone that I want. Usually I do half with a low level alt and the other half with my main that needs the karma. If it would be the way you say, it would restrict which characters I could use and the way that I needed to complete the quest.
We already had dozens of threads with people kittening that the current model didn’t reward them for playing the way they want, can you imagine the kittenfest it would be if your idea was implemented?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I want to open by saying I have 3 lvl 80 on this account and my gf has another 2.
After 5 months we still play GW2 every day and we love it.

The worrying news is that current dailies are nothing short of blizzard fetch quests.
Kill mobs 0/10, gather items 0/10, ress people 0/10, craft 0/10.
A bundle of fetch quests you’re supposed to repeat every single day nonetheless, and it sticks to your screen until done.

They aren’t some flavor stuff you can ignore like they were before, they’re actually one the main ways to get endgame items now.
GW2, the “different” MMO against obsolete fetch quests and traditional MMO mechanics offering fetch quests as a daily way to get endgame items?
This must be a prank like the Ministrel.

I thought dailies would be a “rewarding Tyrian adventure” type of thing, where you get a list of world Events the player has the level requirement to partecipate to, i.e.:
- Kill Gargantula

That way on top of not being wow quests, they also bring us around the world (which is something current dailies fail to do).

Seriously, GW2 haunting me with fetch quests is like the Chef of a 5 star Italian restaurant suggesting I order a cheeseburger.
It cannot be real.

What if the player is a level 80 character going for his legendary and the part he’s on has him in a lower level zone hunting for a particular item? Your method would punish him as well since your method would have him have to stop what he’s doing and go to Orr to get his daily done.

What if a person has 5 characters. What if they’re playing Character 5 who is a level 10 character and the daily comes up for Character 1 who is a level 80 character?

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I was thinking about this – for about 10 seconds – and I had an idea. Add a “bounty board” with 15-20 listed objectives, which cycle every day. Players may choose any 5 of them as their daily achievement.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I don’t believe you’re required to do them in any way.

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Daily quests have to be open to all people to do. Having to kill a champion in a 50 zone when you only have a level 20 character? That’s a giant middle finger to those players.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I do like the incentive to get people into different parts of the world. As the game matures more people will have higher level characters and you can safely move the achievements to higher level areas. That said, more than anything, I would like to see options for both dailies and monthlies that allow people with different preferences to get them. As you note they are significant rewards now with the laurels and you really shouldn’t be excluding people who don’t like or play WvW or dungeons. A simple list of options would solve most of the problems with the current achievements.

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

It’s a catch 22 for me…on one hand, I dig the changes. A little variety in my daily, not the same thing all the time, I find it refreshing. And I seem to be killing my daily alot quicker than I had before the changes.

On the other hand, I am disheartened because with every update, they stray further from their original creed, about not being grindy, about being the anti-standard, doing away with mindless repetition. It all smacks of fetch quests for sure.

Red Falcon.8257

You are, sadly.
I always skipped monthlies/dailies because they didn’t give me anything I couldn’t get through other means.
But laurel items are unique and they can only be gotten by doing traditional MMO fetch quests that we were promised would never be in GW2.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually, I don’t find the dailies grindy. The crafting for example can be done in five minutes tops. The veterans can be done in almost any zone your’re in just by playing and doing dynamic events anyway. Worse case scenario, kill a couple of veteran oak hearts or pinesouls. There are plenty of places those guys hang out. Underwater kills are like easy.

This is stuff you’re getting basically for free. It takes me 20 minutes to do my daily and if I do it at the end of the day, most of the time, I have done just about all of it, and only need to fill in one gap.

This stuff isn’t hard or a big deal. There are tons of places you can go to do the daily healer. If you’re running around Orr, you’ll get it just doing events. If you’re in Frostgorge SOund the, event where you rezz quaggan is almost always up. If you’re in early zones, almost every early zone has areas where there are NPCs that continually die. Yesterday I got that achievement in Bloodtide Coast.

Anet has given people something to think about. What’s an efficient and easy way to get this daily done (because there are efficient and easy ways to get them done).

The amount of complaining about them, compared to the actual difficulty is staggering. What people are really saying is they want stuff for just logging in, without doing anything else, just by playing their normal game. And while that situation exists, now that there’s a reward you need, it’s not so unusual to have to “work” for it. However the amount of work these dailies ask for is so trivial, I can’t believe people are complaining about it.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

You are, sadly.
I always skipped monthlies/dailies because they didn’t give me anything I couldn’t get through other means.
But laurel items are unique and they can only be gotten by doing traditional MMO fetch quests that we were promised would never be in GW2.

And that IS the issue. Not the quests themselves, but the Dailys changing from no big deal to “must do”. Most players will consider them “must do”, as character progression is a driving force for many MMO players. It doesn’t matter how trivial, boring, easy or whatever. It matters that it is a daily hampster wheel you have to climb on, like it or not.

Already I see this hurting lower levels as 80s congregate to bottom feed in the New zones. Events are done in no time. I was there at the very beginning of the Worm attack on the lodge in Wayfarer, Level 80 war, and the best I could do was Bronze reward standing in a literal firestorm of AOEs. I wonder how a player at that actual level could even get a slice of it.

World token grinding is bad, its bad in every game that has implemented it, it reduces gameplay, for many, to a rote “log on, do this, log off” treadmill.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Seera.5916

Eventually other achievements will give laurels, which will take the pressure off of having to do dailies and monthlies. And they will be handed out retroactively as well.

They just wanted the initial slew of laurels to be slow to enter the market (dailies and monthlies are time based) and something even the new players could do.

Seera.5916

Actually, I don’t find the dailies grindy. The crafting for example can be done in five minutes tops. The veterans can be done in almost any zone your’re in just by playing and doing dynamic events anyway. Worse case scenario, kill a couple of veteran oak hearts or pinesouls. There are plenty of places those guys hang out. Underwater kills are like easy.

This is stuff you’re getting basically for free. It takes me 20 minutes to do my daily and if I do it at the end of the day, most of the time, I have done just about all of it, and only need to fill in one gap.

This stuff isn’t hard or a big deal. There are tons of places you can go to do the daily healer. If you’re running around Orr, you’ll get it just doing events. If you’re in Frostgorge SOund the, event where you rezz quaggan is almost always up. If you’re in early zones, almost every early zone has areas where there are NPCs that continually die. Yesterday I got that achievement in Bloodtide Coast.

Anet has given people something to think about. What’s an efficient and easy way to get this daily done (because there are efficient and easy ways to get them done).

The amount of complaining about them, compared to the actual difficulty is staggering. What people are really saying is they want stuff for just logging in, without doing anything else, just by playing their normal game. And while that situation exists, now that there’s a reward you need, it’s not so unusual to have to “work” for it. However the amount of work these dailies ask for is so trivial, I can’t believe people are complaining about it.

What they want and what the daily is designed for are two different things. Made harsher because the old daily seemed to fit what they want. They want something that fits in line with how they play.

That’s all fine and good when all it gives is an achievement point which is just bragging rights. But now it gives currency you could use to buy things with. So it’s only fair that ANet asks that you consciously have do it or part of it.

However, I wouldn’t say no to an achievement that is designed for “Hey, look! I logged in and played the game!” However, the Daily and Monthly achievements are not meant to be those achievements. At least not in my mind.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Well, they’re not a ‘must do’ for me. I didn’t complete my daily today, even though I was nearly done with it when I logged off last night. Actually, I think this makes the second daily I’ve missed since the laurel thing started. I’ve got three laurels, so… Anyway, I almost logged in earlier this evening, with the intent to finish up and maybe catch a dragon or something, had the launcher up, ready to type in my log in stuff, but wound up watching my little pony videos instead.

Yesterday (I think it was yesterday) I logged into GW1 and in short order I’d acquired two new minis: this year’s celestial snake, and a celestial horse. That was cool. Granted, I had some leftover lunar tokens, but even if I hadn’t, the Canthan New Year event quests are quite generous with them.

Not getting anything like that over here in stingy old GW2 land, where it seems like everything has to be a long drawn out bore and a chore. Constructively speaking, I’d advise the people running GW2 to remember that GW2 is a game, and games are supposed to be, ya know, FUN. Not work. We have these things called ‘jobs’ for that.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

- Kill Gargantula

So you REALLY want to end up with 68 people standing around where Gargantula spawns, waiting until it appears at which point they all down it in six seconds?

Yeah, real good idea there. Top notch.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What they want and what the daily is designed for are two different things. Made harsher because the old daily seemed to fit what they want. They want something that fits in line with how they play.

That’s all fine and good when all it gives is an achievement point which is just bragging rights. But now it gives currency you could use to buy things with. So it’s only fair that ANet asks that you consciously have do it or part of it.

However, I wouldn’t say no to an achievement that is designed for “Hey, look! I logged in and played the game!” However, the Daily and Monthly achievements are not meant to be those achievements. At least not in my mind.

When the dailies were largely giving you stuff you could get anywhere, you’re probably right. Why not have them so you can just do them without thinking about them. But as you’ve pointed out yourself, the anti-has been upped.

They’re giving you something now that can improve your character. It only makes sense that they make them a bit tough to do, or at least a bit less convenient.

Basically, the stuff they’re asking is so minimal, compared to the rewards, I don’t see a problem.

People complained that they didn’t want to grind fractals to get ascended gear. If they offered ascended gear just to do the old dailies, it would be like giving everyone ascended gear free. Because you could get the old dailies without a thought process.

New rewards justify some degree of effort on the part of the player. That said, this is hardly grinding, in any sense of the term I know.

I think people keep lowering and lowering the bar of what it means to grind.

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

Unless I am focused on something specific, the daily just happens on it’s own.

The monthly, on the other handy, I may never complete, at least not for a while. I don’t wish to do any dungeons yet.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The Dailies are meant to be a way for casual gamers to be able to gear as well.

If you’ve only got an hour and for whatever reason that particular event doesn’t spawn, then your screwed.

Also, think about how flooded the zones will become if you include specific areas needed for the Daily. Unless players had different zones, and you included all zones in the list and had some sort of statement to say that if x people have this zone, assign them another, it would become a lag fest for those running less-than-stellar specs.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

The very idea of achievements is to have casual player do something harder, something he’s not used to. That’s why achievements are granted for jumping puzzles, not vistas.

If you’re after achievements you’re expected to be put through harder things then “score that vista and show your face in your capital city”;)

And isn’t ascended gear needed really only in fractals past 10th fractal level? And anywhere else just being tiny bit better then any lvl 80 rare or exotic?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

“Daily” = the limit, not a requirement. If you feel you MUST play a game at all, you are doing it wrong.

As for making them more difficult: first, you can’t include a daily that requires a group. That’s why they took off combos.

TheDaiBish is right: Dailies should be casual friendly and not tied to a particular zone which could cause lag.

Finally, I don’t understand these comments about how achievements are supposed to be difficult. They aren’t in any game I’ve played. As for GW2, isn’t that up to the developers to decide? You say “achievements are supposed to be hard” – well apparently not.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Gandolfi.1507

Gandolfi.1507

[Also, think about how flooded the zones will become if you include specific areas needed for the Daily. Unless players had different zones, and you included all zones in the list and had some sort of statement to say that if x people have this zone, assign them another, it would become a lag fest for those running less-than-stellar specs. [/quote]

I don’t know – I always thought adding a specific area to the dailies, and changing it each day, would be a good thing. Some of the middle level areas are so empty now it would be nice to see more people running around the zones. The beauty of the daily system is that if this bothered someone who was levelling through that area, it is only for one day and then the attention would move somewhere else.

I would be surprised if the crowds got bad enough to cause lag – although I agree it would be better if the daily asked for something zone-wide like ‘Do 5 events in Bloodtide Coast’ rather than targeting a particular boss, which certainly would cause problems with camping.

Godrik Gandolfi – human warrior; Lucius Foestabber – charr reaper
The Path Least Travelled, Gunnar’s Hold

Red Falcon.8257

I still like the game but I feel a bit like I’ve been bait-and-switch’d.
I let the whole gear treadmill thing pass without a word, because they implemented it in a way that you can just do one fractal a day and get the gear, so they ultimately held up to the idea of not enforcing grind.
But I cannot let 0/20 kill ten rats quest go as well, or they will think their playerbase is made of brain-dead traditional MMO players who will accept anythng – please realize that the strength of GW2 was being different than traditional MMOs.

Any chance that this system will be changed to something better Anet?
Like sending us around Tyria to complete different events etc.
In the article previous to this patch I read these quests were supposed to have us adventure around the maps to complete tasks, but this is nothing like that and I somehow feel a bit cheated.

I can stand this system as a placeholder, as long as the fully released system won’t be blizzard questing like this.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I like the dailies only as Its all about what I can do on my crappy machine every day besides farm Southsun Cove for shells/flowers/ore. I can’t WVW do fractals or PVP. I can hardly do dungeons save AC which I know how to do by heart now. Should I run AC 100 times for my monthly? Not with horrible pugs and people that still skip enemies and get us killed due to the new no res-zerging fix (which I love btw) I won’t.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I still like the game but I feel a bit like I’ve been bait-and-switch’d.
I let the whole gear treadmill thing pass without a word, because they implemented it in a way that you can just do one fractal a day and get the gear, so they ultimately held up to the idea of not enforcing grind.
But I cannot let 0/20 kill ten rats quest go as well, or they will think their playerbase is made of brain-dead traditional MMO players who will accept anythng – please realize that the strength of GW2 was being different than traditional MMOs.

Any chance that this system will be changed to something better Anet?
Like sending us around Tyria to complete different events etc.
In the article previous to this patch I read these quests were supposed to have us adventure around the maps to complete tasks, but this is nothing like that and I somehow feel a bit cheated.

I can stand this system as a placeholder, as long as the fully released system won’t be blizzard questing like this.

I think that “strength” was turning into a weakness, and ArenaNet recognized this… responding with content and progression players prefer.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Dailies aren’t supposed to be taxing… just easy stuff to do.

I’d not have an issue with the ones you suggested being in the monthly.

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Well… Each of these daily can be done during ordinary game play.
A-a-and the difference between new “end game” amulets and old in a total of about 20 stats max. Thrust me, you will not notice the difference.

Grind, in this game, exists only in minds.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Dailies aren’t any different from renown hearts. They’re just not restricted to a specific area. Renown hearts actually resemble standard MMO quests much more than the dailies, because they’re centered around hubs and require certain tasks to complete. The main difference from a traditional MMO quest hub is that they basically just combine all of the standard objectives that would come from individual quests and let you wander around the area completing them however you like.

And people who enjoy traditional MMOs are not “brain-dead.” GW2 is still very much a traditional MMO; in fact, I view it as something of a love letter to traditional MMOs, since ArenaNet’s goal in creating GW2 was to take the basic structure and make it better. They’ve refined the formula (beautifully, I think, for the most part), rather than throwing it away.