Veteran players are too hostile to newbies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ProverbsofHell.2307

ProverbsofHell.2307

This has just been my experience as a returning (but still fresh-faced) player. In all game modes, there are people screaming at new players, becoming frustrated with them for not having optimal build, for not knowing things they couldn’t possibly know (sometimes the game does a poor job of making certain things clear, some things you only learn from failing), having a horrible and rude attitude in general, never making an effort to be polite.

This game so far for me has had a truly awful community. And you’re putting off new players, if you’re one of the people who are like this. I saw firsthand a player in Verdant Brink asking for some advice on the meta event and what to do, and three people joined in mocking him, and saying unhelpful things like “are you serious”.

This game will die with that attitude. You should encourage and be polite and helpful to players who seem new when you can. I just think it’s a huge shame, I love this game but it actually feels depressing half the time, when I see how insufferable and rude people can actually be.

Posted by: Rhiannon.1726

Rhiannon.1726

When someone asks something in map chat, it will normally be answered in a very helpful manner. Especially in starting areas you also often see something like “join my group, I’ll show you…”.

Even in “end game” maps like Verdant Brink you often find people helping others to find the way to a mastery point or help at a hero challenge.

You’ll find rude people everywhere now and then in every mmo and also in real life.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Yeah, I’m not seeing much hostility in map chat at all. I do have around 20 people blocked (over the course of 2+ years), but it’s been exceedingly rare and I play a lot.

Posted by: Chev.1745

Chev.1745

Just coming back after nearly a 5 year break (lol, I couldn’t stop playing WoW), I find the community far more accepting and far less rude than in almost any other game I have ever played. It truly feels like people here and in the world itself want players to feel welcome and helped, and every single day I see people going out of their way specifically to help others out. I think you may be surrounding yourself in that kind of atmosphere in general, possibly by looking for the worst in people while ignoring everything you don’t want to see in them.

GW2 has rekindled for me what many others have lost in other games, and I am glad to see no screaming, and trolling that isn’t just being an outright munchwad to others.

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

It exists in every MMO but in my time in this game (since launch) I have seen very little hostility. Through all the games I have played I have to say that I find GW2 is the friendliest and most helpful community of them.

I have quite a few people blocked, and even while there are people being helpful in map chat there’s sometimes the sarcastic troll, but I can’t say that I have really ever seen someone new asking for help that has been yelled at, being rude and horrible to them, or getting terribly frustrated.

Though, I am sorry to see that what you have only seen has been the thin black streak within the community. It is a very small percentage of the overall community that I have seen in this game in the past 5 years.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

There will always be some trolls and tryhards around, no matter what multiplayer game you play. However, I will say that GW2 has probably the most friendly and helpful community I have ever seen for an online game. My gf tried out the game a few weeks ago and was completely weirded out by how helpful and friendly random strangers are in this game, because she’s used to the toxicity and selfishness that runs rampant in other games like MOBAs and other MMO’s.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

Posted by: ProverbsofHell.2307

ProverbsofHell.2307

I’m glad that you all have such high praise about the community. I truly hope that I was simply unfortunate in my encounters, I’m going to hold out on my opinion for longer, hopefully I’ll see more positivity. I should say that I did make friends with a nice guild, and that’s been really great. I hope to come back to this forum one day with a more positive outlook. Thank you.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

I’m glad that you all have such high praise about the community. I truly hope that I was simply unfortunate in my encounters, I’m going to hold out on my opinion for longer, hopefully I’ll see more positivity. I should say that I did make friends with a nice guild, and that’s been really great. I hope to come back to this forum one day with a more positive outlook. Thank you.

A few points to help avoid common toxicity:

1) Don’t complain about difficulty, especially with Fractals and Raids.
2) Don’t ask for help or advice on content deemed too easy by the game’s overlords.
3) If you have a disability, keep it to yourself. Because of the elitist mentality that came with HoT, any slight variance from a flawless run will get you scorn.

Other than that, the community seems to be pretty helpful; and there’s a lot of friendly content creators, too.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

I have played on and off since launch and aside from the occasional PvP rager, I have never once felt like the community as a whole was unhelpful or malicious. Broad strokes and freak out posts like this are equally as harmful as toxic community members because they create (mostly undue) confirmation bias. Sure, people can be sticklers about mechanics or class knowledge, but that’s expected in literally any MMO or online game where you’re playing with other people. You can’t escape that, it’s just the nature of existing in an online medium, playing an RPG with other people.

However, if you’re in lower level zones, you shouldn’t experience animosity as much as higher level zones where most veteran players congregate, not that that behavior is acceptable either way. There are a lot of frustrating aspects of the new HoT maps that make people less willing to invest time helping others so some of this animosity is a variable result of mechanics or limitations of player interest. The nature of the majority of content in this game (Events) is teamwork and cooperation-oriented, which is not the case for many MMOs. With that in mind, kind cooperation is necessitated by the design of the game in most cases.

I don’t think it’s much to ask that you spend some time as a new player researching optimal builds and learning your class. Making generalizations about an entire community based on isolated interactions with a very small sample size of people is unproductive. You’d be better served by just letting it roll off your back, improving your skill and adaptation to the mechanics and expectations of group content, and seeking out the (vast majority) of people that are helpful and kind – just like in life.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

(edited by lothefallen.7081)

Posted by: TheVindelator.8239

TheVindelator.8239

Most people are just fine but (for better or worse) you probably have to do some reading and YouTubing before jumping into fractals or raids.

PVP just gets salty everywhere.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sympathetic: no one likes being screamed at or be expected to know things one couldn’t have possibly learned. And there are some really cranky veterans who are too quick to blame others.

All the same: don’t fall into the same trap about making assumptions of others groups based on a few bad experiences or drop all your patience on the bad apples — that’s precisely what’s annoying about veterans who are too impatient with new players.

Instead, use the /block feature to hide the chat of folks who have nothing to offer except tie up /map or /say with useless whinging.

In other words… This game has a lot of players. Some of them are kind, some of them are jerks. It’s not hard to ignore the nattering nabobs of negativity and focus on the first group.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

It depends on where you are. Dungeons, Fractals (to a degree), and the four HoT zones are the worst I’m familiar with (I play PvE mostly, and very lightly play WvW).

Ignore them if it’s mild. Report them for abusive speech if it’s really bad. (To report, right-click the character’s name or picture and choose report.)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Yeah, I’m not seeing much hostility in map chat at all. I do have around 20 people blocked (over the course of 2+ years), but it’s been exceedingly rare and I play a lot.

This. The lion’s share of my block list goes to gold sellers and to emote spammers. Almost no Map chat has someone so horrid that I want to be sure never to see them again.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I feel for you, OP. 3-4 years later, and I’m still bitter about when the same thing happened to me in FF14. It’s probably the one thing (besides lack of time) that keeps me from going back.

But GW2 folks really are a good bunch, I promise. I won’t deny that there’s a few salts and tryhards, but do your best to let that wash off. You’ll mostly experience this kind of toxin when loot is involved, or if an event like Vinetooth Prime requires a bit more precision than a new player might be aware of. That doesn’t excuse the salty behavior, obviously, just something to be aware of. It’s not you, it’s them and not getting their piece of candy.

I encourage you to keep at it. Ask questions. Of us on the forums if you have to. Heck, whisper me in game (usually between 8-11pm Eastern) and I’ll drop a book-ton of know-how. Some of us love that sort of thing and prop our new players up so one day they’ll run Tier 4 Fractals with us.
(Been playing since headstart, I’ll let you know when I bother to climb out of Tier 2. XD)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: polarbear.2497

polarbear.2497

This has just been my experience as a returning (but still fresh-faced) player. In all game modes, there are people screaming at new players, becoming frustrated with them for not having optimal build, for not knowing things they couldn’t possibly know (sometimes the game does a poor job of making certain things clear, some things you only learn from failing), having a horrible and rude attitude in general, never making an effort to be polite.

There are also a lot of kind and helpful players (in my opinion, the majority). If you’d like to hang out with some, feel free to contact me for an invitation to my guild. We enjoy teaching/advising/helping new and returning players – in fractals, dungeons, raids and other PvE content .

Amalyra (polarbear.2497)

Posted by: Purgatori.3645

Purgatori.3645

This game so far for me has had a truly awful community. And you’re putting off new players, if you’re one of the people who are like this. I saw firsthand a player in Verdant Brink asking for some advice on the meta event and what to do, and three people joined in mocking him, and saying unhelpful things like “are you serious”.

This game will die with that attitude. You should encourage and be polite and helpful to players who seem new when you can. I just think it’s a huge shame, I love this game but it actually feels depressing half the time, when I see how insufferable and rude people can actually be.

Every playground has its bullies and GW2 is no exception. I experienced this first hand on many occasions which is why I haven’t touched a Fractal in over 3 1/2 years. As a Veteran Player I’d like to apologize if anyone in the community has “put you off” or given you the opinion that new players have no place. Every one of us was new at one point or another and some players tend to forget that becoming over competitive with kittenty attitudes all around.

Myself, and a huge portion of the player base are not this way. In fact, were the exact opposite. There are so many of us who are kind, or at least polite “playing well in the sandbox” , and generally helpful with any questions new players will have or at the very least, point you in the right direction on where to find the information ex: guides for crafting etc …

Dont let a few kittenty people ruin your outlook on the game or on Veteran players. Hell , add me in game if you like and if you have any questions at all I will do my best to answer them for you.

See you in game!

When life knocks you down, roll over and look at the stars.

Posted by: Metavahn.7293

Metavahn.7293

Almost every other player besides you as a new player is mastery level 180 with the trashiest lame glowing wings outfit …lol, but ive never seen anyone be outright rude to new players

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

I hate to say it, but I generally actively avoid paying much attention to chat. I realize asking a question in map chat is seeking feedback, but I personally prefer searching the wiki or YouTube guides to inform my ignorance on specifics over the general map population. Of course it can’t be avoided entirely and there are genuinely helpful people out there. I just prefer a solo experience until partying up is more beneficial or required.

As antisocial as I might sound, I consider myself very easy to get along with. I’m generally accepting and overly apologetic. I just have a low tolerance for elitist thinking and extracting pride from a freaking video game. Life’s too short to waste on trying to reason with kittens.

Posted by: zionophir.6845

zionophir.6845

mortals + freewill = so kittenty society

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

I hate to say it, but I generally actively avoid paying much attention to chat. I realize asking a question in map chat is seeking feedback, but I personally prefer searching the wiki or YouTube guides to inform my ignorance on specifics over the general map population. Of course it can’t be avoided entirely and there are genuinely helpful people out there. I just prefer a solo experience until partying up is more beneficial or required.

As antisocial as I might sound, I consider myself very easy to get along with. I’m generally accepting and overly apologetic. I just have a low tolerance for elitist thinking and extracting pride from a freaking video game. Life’s too short to waste on trying to reason with kittens.

you not the only one in game I hardly say a word at all to any one . and when I got chat turned on sadly to say I block half the people chatting in the game as the same reasons you said .

as a vet player I find this disturbing to read and see it happen in the game . and I seen it happen more than one time . this is why I go to not talking or saying a word at all in game . and enjoying my self . does not mean I will or would not help some one in the game if they need and I seen them ask for it . as if I was able to help some one in the game or give them a fast rez and move on . done that more than once too .

but you did say it best life is too short for elitist thinking and extracting pride from a freaking video game

this is why when I play I become anti social for them reasons I just can not put up or stand the elitist thinking and extracting pride from a freaking video game

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think it depends on the content you play. PvP tends to be less welcoming, but the more competitive the content, the more likely someone will be yellling, because that’s what competitive people do. Most of the time in the open world it’s about a failed tarir event or a failed Dragon Stand event and I’ve occasionally seen someone yelling.

On the other hand, Dragon Stand usually has a hundred people doing it, and I usually see 1 or two people yelling. That means 98 people aren’t. I’m not sure why that’s a bad percentage for a community.

More to the point, in almost every case I’ve seen some hot head yelling, I’ve often seen other players defending those that screwed up either by reminding people that they could be new or by saying it’s not a big deal it’s just a game. Either way I’ve almost never seen the COMMUNITY attack a new player, only a couple of frustrated players who lost an event. Judging the community by those people is pretty unfair in my opinion.

Sensitive people will feel stressed and get yelled at, which is why I’m one of the vocal defenders when I see it, but it’s not as bad as the OP is making it out to be.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

OP, it’s unfortunate you’ve had a bad experience! Generally, the community here is great. Sure, there are always a few jerks but lately, I see lots of groups running HP trains or folks calling for help in map chat— and receiving it. I’ve seen plenty of helpful chat in Lion’s Arch, too.

A few points to help avoid common toxicity:

1) Don’t complain about difficulty, especially with Fractals and Raids.
2) Don’t ask for help or advice on content deemed too easy by the game’s overlords.
3) If you have a disability, keep it to yourself. Because of the elitist mentality that came with HoT, any slight variance from a flawless run will get you scorn.

Other than that, the community seems to be pretty helpful; and there’s a lot of friendly content creators, too.

1) No one likes complaining, but if you phrase it as, “I’m having trouble with X. Can someone give me some advice about how to tackle it?” You will probably get some good advice.
2) Since you don’t know what’s considered “too easy” then feel free to ask for help, or advice, as above.
3) I’ve found that others appreciate you being upfront with them. If you join a group, be sure to say “I’m new to this/ never done this” or “I have this issue so please be patient with me while I’m learning”. Again, if you’re looking for advice, there are plenty of people around who probably have the same issue and can help you.

OP, I’m glad you’ve decided to hang in there for a bit. Best of luck to you.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

There is a slightly different way to view this situation. From my real life experience ragers, shouters, the self centered, self aggrandizing and impatient rarely are happy people. They are unhappy with most of life, events never go the way they want, acquaintances and family avoid them. I just say a little thank you that I’m not stuck inside their skins. They can be wonderful lessons of how not to live your life.

Posted by: Zaltys.7649

Zaltys.7649

When someone asks something in map chat, it will normally be answered in a very helpful manner. Especially in starting areas you also often see something like “join my group, I’ll show you…”.

Everywhere except in Heart of Thorns areas, and the same will likely apply to PoF. From what I’ve seen, the difficulty increase directly correlates with player helpfulness: once things get though, it’s every man for themselves.

For example, you can always count on someone to revive fallen players in lower level areas or stop and help if someone’s having trouble with a battle. That doesn’t happen much in Maguuma, everyone just runs by, myself included. No time to stop and help anyone and no time to answer questions in chat either, too busy avoiding mobs and navigating the terrain.

(edited by Zaltys.7649)

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I’m not mean to anyone if they aren’t mean to me or others. Generally I’m a mute.

But if someone new asks something and no one else answers, I’ll generally chime in and help as best as I can.

Of course always remember:
One of the best ways to get accurate information is to BS something. The OCD and general kittens out there will reflexively correct you to make a point.

Posted by: Midnight.7526

Midnight.7526

I see a fair number of rude ppl, but I see a far larger contingent of helpful, friendly ppl. Please don’t sell the community short.

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

I absolutely adore the bulk of the GW2 community, It’s amazing how cool people are in this game. However, there are screwed up people in every aspect of today’s world though.. egotistic, elitist, blame everyone but themselves, take “winning” in a video game too seriously, insult others who they feel should play to their standards type of @$$h*1e$. But screw them, they don’t speak for everyone just because they insult people and make it sound like the world is on their side. In general in GW2 if you’re not the one starting stuff in chats or purposely doing something that annoys your allies, you shouldn’t ever deal with toxicity (at least not in pve. In wvw (CD) I don’t really see much toxicity unless it’s just one bad egg that nobody is amused by).

If you’re doing everything right in most pve areas, and still see a lot of toxicity… that’s bad luck I suppose…?

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

(edited by VanHalenRules.5243)

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

I can see both sides, It can be frustrating when you are doing certain content and the general experience level is below average. Especially HoT content and fractals. I blame this mostly on Anet allowing players to start in HoT without playing the rest of the game before progressing to harder areas. Fractals on the other hand, no sympathy, if you join 50+ and dunno what to do, don’t say you don’t know what to do, and then proceed to not contribute then I can understand frustration, there is a point in the game and area of progression where there is a level of presumed knowledge, I don’t approve of salty chat or belittling players though, that’s just weak and poor form, it’s quicker and easier to tell the person what needs to be done than cause aggro, I mean seriously grow the kitten up.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It is bound to happen in games that have been around for a while.

A lot of people just don’t understand what it was like to be new, or well, what it is to be like anyone that isn’t themselves.

And certainly not just in this game; the internet tends to be filled with myopic posts about every topic. But I also think it has to do with being able to do something but not really being able to explain it.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: alceste.8712

alceste.8712

I can see both sides, It can be frustrating when you are doing certain content and the general experience level is below average. Especially HoT content and fractals. I blame this mostly on Anet allowing players to start in HoT without playing the rest of the game before progressing to harder areas. Fractals on the other hand, no sympathy, if you join 50+ and dunno what to do, don’t say you don’t know what to do, and then proceed to not contribute then I can understand frustration, there is a point in the game and area of progression where there is a level of presumed knowledge, I don’t approve of salty chat or belittling players though, that’s just weak and poor form, it’s quicker and easier to tell the person what needs to be done than cause aggro, I mean seriously grow the kitten up.

HoT zones tend to produce the most toxic atmosphere in the game. You have a lot of new / returning players in the zone who are trying to unlock elites / masteries. The HoT elitist crowd can and definitely do mock people in chat.

There are also really nice players in the HoT zones running HP trains and other events for newbies / returning players as well thou. You have a crapshoot thou in which type of players on your map you end up with unless you use the lfg tool. But new / returning players do not know that you really should be using lfg to avoid the elitists.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The only time I’ve seen this kind of rude behavior is during pvp matches but I guess that’s to be expected.

I’m wondering though, what did this player ask about in VB to be “mocked”? Especially in VB because you can’t possibly affect the experience of others there, unless you afk, but there will always be afkers on world maps that’s a moot point. For example, it’s not like killing an Octovine when told to stop, or using an exalted armor to push the exploding blossoms into the squad.

The only part that makes people salty in VB during the Night is when people are asking for help with HPs when the bosses are up

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

My guess is they met someone who heard the same question multiple times before they got on the map. It rubs some people the wrong way when they think the other player could just be typing /wiki (anything here) in the game chat and a window would pop up answering them precisely.

Some vets or hardcore new players just need a reminder that the game doesn’t do anything to inform truly new players about what resources we use all the time are. The most helpful is that /wiki command you can use in game. Then there’s things like gw2effiency.com for finding things across your account, crafting, and much more. Then there’s taco which will give you a huge amount of map info as an overlay which normally is only known from playing the game extensively. I don’t use it, because I play the game extensively / already know the things it’s telling me. Then there’s things like ReShade to make your game prettier, and a different overlay called augmented Tyria that helps you map complete at max speed. I don’t use either of those two at the moment, but they’re very nice.

Posted by: DragonSlayer.1087

DragonSlayer.1087

I have to disagree with the OP. I think in General, the GW2 Community has been very helpful and nice. Yes, there are those nasty players that yell at you for asking for help but that’s what blocking is for. But ever since I re-joined the community I’ve had a very pleasant gaming experience, especially in the HoT areas. HP runs are fun and I find the “Squad Leaders” to be very helpful and patient.

Bunny & Bear

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Sadly, I’ve seen far more of the hostile side of the community than most in this thread. Even shortly after the game launched I saw a lot of hostility in the community. That hostility was actually one of the reasons I took an extended break from the game back then as well. Since coming back I have spent most of my time in game ignoring chat, however the few times I’ve taken a look at chat it’s been largely trolling and hostility that I’ve seen. Now, I’m smart enough to realize that it’s not always going to be hostility and trolling in chat, however that doesn’t dismiss the fact that I’ve personally seen very little but hostility and trolling in chat.

Additionally, the handful of times I’ve asked for advice in chat I’ve been met with nothing but hostility, 100% of the time… Not once has anyone actually been helpful towards me when I’ve asked something in chat since the day the game launched…

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

I let people know up front that I don’t know what I’m doing. Then they have the option of adding me into their group or not.

If I do something stupid in a Fractal I’m covered.

I used to run into hostile people before letting them know I was a noob.

Posted by: Cyprien.4208

Cyprien.4208

I don mind playing with the new people it changes the game everyone not stacking and seem like a new game.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I don’t really see this behavior in open-world pve, and even not so much in dungeons. Mostly the places where people would act like that is in (high level) fractals and raids, but that content was made for elitist hardcore players so i’m not surprised that these are the places were people act elitist.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Mapchat can turn very awful very fast if even one person decides to be a POS, and the rabid elitism is one reason why I’m not even thinking about dungeons/fractals, but there are also a lot of kind, helpful people. No matter the map — and that absolutely includes HoT/LS3 in my experience — there are always ressers and people willing to answer questions. Pretty much the only time I’ve seen people react badly to questions in the open world (the usual abusive, wannabe-edgyk3wl gasbags aside) is when the question is asked in a hostile manner or with an air of “drop everything you’re doing and help me right now”.

Posted by: blambidy.3216

blambidy.3216

There are people everywhere that talk horrible. Eso. FFXIV. Gw2. U just need to tell them straight. Or report him. Cause this isn’t that environment. However the guild I’m in doesn’t talk that way. And we make sure. So there are many guilds that are nice. Many people who help u. There are many that will help till you get what u need. Then there’s the people who need to change their attitude. It’s everywhere.

blambidy.3216

Worst environments are PvP. And raids. Maybe wvw, other then that it’s very mellow. Sorry for u to meet people that way. There are some who are bxxxes and then most are very friendly.

(edited by blambidy.3216)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I don’t really participate much in /map chats, but I always do read it and my block finger is quite quick when someone is being an kitten, rude, swears too much or is too whiny about things that are nothing to whine about and have to say that majority of my block list is indeed people between 20-30k AP.. if not counting gold sellers of course.

Dunno what that tells, probably nothing, but it is a statistic of some sort. Even tho I’m in that AP range myself too, I still tend to avoid other people within it Maybe I’m guilty myself too but I really try not to be hostile to anyone except if they’re hostile themselves.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Instanced content, like fractals or raids, and competitive game modes, like PvP or WvW are prone to get salty.
In open world, even if it’s not uncommon to see some rude answer from time to time, the community is usually very helpful to any sort of question done in map chat. It sometimes gets slightly salty when a map meta fails, but that’s all.

Last time I remember the map chat getting truly disgusting was after a Draconis Mons wyvern fight failed a couple weeks ago.
The commander was being extremely rude and totally deserved the bashing he got, but even with that, he still had a point.
Having to explain what CC is, as some people were suggesting, in the fifth LS map of an expansion full of breakbars sounds somewhat depressing. There will be for sure some players not familiar with the terminology, but when a zerg consistently fails on every single breakbar (which happens all the time btw), that’s not a problem with newcomers, that’s people not giving a kitten, so I can easily understand the frustration. It doesnt’ excuse the rudeness tough.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This has not been my experience. I hope that you have merely been unlucky so far OP and that you encounter more of the better side of the community going forward.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well we humans remember the bad times more then the good times so probabely why OP think the community is the worst ever.

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

Last time I remember the map chat getting truly disgusting was after a Draconis Mons wyvern fight failed a couple weeks ago.
The commander was being extremely rude and totally deserved the bashing he got, but even with that, he still had a point.
Having to explain what CC is, as some people were suggesting, in the fifth LS map of an expansion full of breakbars sounds somewhat depressing. There will be for sure some players not familiar with the terminology, but when a zerg consistently fails on every single breakbar (which happens all the time btw), that’s not a problem with newcomers, that’s people not giving a kitten, so I can easily understand the frustration. It doesnt’ excuse the rudeness tough.

Agreed, it doesn’t excuse rudeness. When someone tags up for ANY event, they need to know there is usually going to be a mix of people who just play for fun and not to get maximum rewards all the time, and people who aren’t fast learners when it comes to mmorpg mechanics and what not (maybe new to this type of pc gaming or perhaps they don’t play all that often). Sure when you want that CC bar to break and you’re unloading all the CC you have, sometimes it’s easy to assume everyone else knows as much as we do, but I remember being in that same situation and not knowing what my cc skills were exactly. Also even if people know what cc is (just using cc as one example), people might not be familiar with the class or weapon setup they are using atm, which those of us that make many alts can relate to.

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

blambidy.3216

Agreed, it doesn’t excuse rudeness. When someone tags up for ANY event, they need to know there is usually going to be a mix of people who just play for fun and not to get maximum rewards all the time, and people who aren’t fast learners when it comes to mmorpg mechanics and what not (maybe new to this type of pc gaming or perhaps they don’t play all that often). Sure when you want that CC bar to break and you’re unloading all the CC you have, sometimes it’s easy to assume everyone else knows as much as we do, but I remember being in that same situation and not knowing what my cc skills were exactly. Also even if people know what cc is (just using cc as one example), people might not be familiar with the class or weapon setup they are using atm, which those of us that make many alts can relate to.

Agreed also. Few times you will have events that we won’t finish because a lot of people dont understand how to complete it. As newbies you should always ask whats going on and how to clear it, so you can clear everything to the best of your ability. Also as a squad leader, Squad leaders should always be prepared to teach new players. Squad leaders should always have in the back of their head if were not clearing the event its probably because most people dont know how. Squad leaders should always ask if all the players know what to do, and explain to the players what the players need to do. Since the person is the squad leader, the leader should always give out the most information to the group he has paired. If your knew, ask always. If your a leader ask everyone if they know what to do. That is how it is suppose to be done. Being frustrated is the outcome of his/her leadership so the leader is really being mad at himself/herself.

If you are a newbie always ask. Even if you seem stupid. Who cares just ask the question. Its better then being in battle acting like you know what your doing but being least effective. If your a newbie and you do not know the term cc, or just any mmo term look it up or ask. If you don’t know your class, look your class up. Then ask people the best thing to do for better opinions. Play with your class to know the most effective abilities and traits. I remember I was doing a raid for the first time and on teamspeak dude was like cc. And I was like what the eff is cc. Then everyone explains. Its a team game. Be aware that dxxxs are present. Theres good players, then theres competitive players who suck…… which make a bad mixture. Competitors who suck are the ones who think that its about them and try to win by their power when its about everyone. And so they yell at everyone.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well if you ask if there are anyone new alot of the people will stay silent even if they are becouse they dont want to be singled out.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

There are plenty of nice players in the game as well.

There is also the other side you are missing in your post… There are many newer players who do not take the time to learn about the game on their own… There is a wiki available… Metabattle for builds… build editor to make builds… Dulfy guide… Youtube guides… There are plenty of newer players who spam chat with questions and it can be frustrating when people want to play, so keep that stuff in mind.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Sometimes how an inquiry is phrased can very much influence the reaction.

“I cant believe that the devs were too lazy to include <feature X>”

Is likely to get a different response than:

“Does <feature X> exist in this game?”

Posted by: Osby.5390

Osby.5390

I agree with you OP, I had a similar experience on the EU servers and have over 100 people blocked cause they were either trolling or being mean in some way to some one. I even asked in map chat if we could choose man at arms for the achieve in VB and they all chose the other one to spite me, and guess what still don’t have the achieve for it. I’ve recently changed to NA servers and I am finding the community far less toxic and immature now. But every ones experiences are different at the end of the day and it would be nice if people could be more helpful to each other as that is what Arena was all about and why they got rid of the AI heroes that we had in GW1 so people would mingle and help each other more. RIP Koss.