Victory or Death AKA Trolled by ArenaNet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ybrahim.2084

Ybrahim.2084

Before I rant, let me start by saying that my return to GW2 has been mostly entertaining. ArenaNet has done a lot of things right and, for the most part, PvE has been a lot of fun. That being said…

Despite my better judgment I decided to give the Personal Story another shot, as I’d heard that it had been reworked. Once again I discovered that MY “personal story” was still about the writer’s seventh grade D&D characters (Destiny’s Edge: great name for a boy band, poor choice for anything else).

Still, I dutifully soldiered on, even when Trahearne kept taking the credit for all my work and I was barred from using the Asura gates in Fort Trinity (I would have thought a commander counted as “high-ranking”, but noooo). Speaking of Trahearne, here’s a tip for you: if you don’t want your scouts killed and zombified all the freakin’ time, send Sylvari!

I gritted my teeth and waded through the plot holes, the two dimensional characters and the teen drama until the very end, and then I stood before the gates of Arah. Finally, I could kill the stupid dragon and never, ever see that stupid green blob on my map ever again.

I click on the door, choose “personal story”, and then, after a half hour where I said a lot of very unprintable things about the writers, the devs, and Anet’s game design skills in general I went to the Wiki for guidance.

The last mission in your PERSONAL story is group-only. Best of all, Anet doesn’t tell you this. Instead of saying, “Hey, we know you’ve been able to solo EVERY part of this quest line up to now, but here we’re going to saddle you with a bunch of brain-dead NPCs and make you get a group too”, they just let you blithely pop in so that you can wonder what idiot was in charge of a battle where several elites keep respawning every time you manage to kill them.

Even if you did magically clear the room somehow, you need two people to get through the door. At this point, I can only imagine the writers and devs high-fiving each other before going out to celebrate by giving some hapless nerd a swirlie.

Oh well, at least now I know to stick to doing hearts and events. After this experience, I know better than to try the “Living Story”. I think I’d rather nail my hand to a wall or lick the inside of a toaster.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Protip:

1. Click on LFG Tool
2. Select Ruins of Arah from the list of Dungeons
3. Enter “LFM Story”
4. Patiently wait.

You will probably have a better experience.

Or, join a guild and go in w/ your guildies.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

My own experience.

I really enjoyed the personal story. I would have preferred a final mission that I could solo (since I soloed the rest)…but I ended up doing the dungeon with a 5-player group and had a good time. I have continued doing the PS with my alts that I bring up.

Guess it boils down to personal preference.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I click on the door, choose “personal story”, and then, after a half hour where I said a lot of very unprintable things about the writers, the devs, and Anet’s game design skills in general I went to the Wiki for guidance.

The last mission in your PERSONAL story is group-only. Best of all, Anet doesn’t tell you this. Instead of saying, “Hey, we know you’ve been able to solo EVERY part of this quest line up to now, but here we’re going to saddle you with a bunch of brain-dead NPCs and make you get a group too”, they just let you blithely pop in so that you can wonder what idiot was in charge of a battle where several elites keep respawning every time you manage to kill them.

When you enter a dungeon, which is what Arah Story is, it tells you “recommended players: 5”. Now, I’m not saying I agree with their decision to make the PS end in a dungeon that requires five people (or at least two people, if both people know what to do); I hated the fact that I had to suddenly do a dungeon back when I first finished the PS. But it does warn you before you enter that it’s group content. And, for the record, the dungeon is pretty easy and, with the right group, can almost be enjoyable.

And LS is honestly very different from the PS. It’s set up a lot better, and ALL of it can be soloed (no group content required). But if you don’t want to try it, that’s obviously your right to feel that way.

Ybrahim.2084

Actually, when you click on the door, you get a choice between the dungeon and the personal story. It said 5 people, but I figured that was for the dungeon, not the Personal Story, which as I said before was soloable all the way up to now. Maybe they need to move that on to the personal story button to be more clear.

(edited by Ybrahim.2084)

RoseofGilead.8907

Actually, when you click on the door, you get a choice between the dungeon and the personal story. If it says anywhere that you need 5 people for the personal story then I didn’t see it.

It does say it. Here’s what you see when you go to Arah for the first time. You can only choose the Story mode of the dungeon (there is no Personal Story option; it’s just Story), and above it says it’s a group thing.

Attachments:

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lol I remember back when I was mad about this… then I got over it and joined a group. And that worked out pretty well. Would recommend.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Actually, when you click on the door, you get a choice between the dungeon and the personal story. It said 5 people, but I figured that was for the dungeon, not the Personal Story, which as I said before was soloable all the way up to now. Maybe they need to move that on to the personal story button to be more clear.

That’s because every dungeon you go to for the first time only allows you to do the story mode first. All dungeons recommend 5 players, and after you finish the story mode (even this one) you unlock the explorable mode, which would then appear right above story mode in the popup.

Lol I remember back when I was mad about this… then I got over it and joined a group. And that worked out pretty well. Would recommend.

Do people not run any dungeons before their personal story? The dungeons are sometimes quite fun, so if one has never grouped up before, they’re missing out. It’s also more fun if you make the group or find one that doesn’t say “ZERK SPEED RUN 80+ LINK AP”, because those people make the run not fun.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I wish they’d done the Personal Story like they did in GW. Having 4-8 man Missions to do was much better than just running through the story ASAP. It also promoted teamwork and socialization in game.

RoseofGilead.8907

Do people not run any dungeons before their personal story? The dungeons are sometimes quite fun, so if one has never grouped up before, they’re missing out. It’s also more fun if you make the group or find one that doesn’t say “ZERK SPEED RUN 80+ LINK AP”, because those people make the run not fun.

I can only speak for myself here, but I didn’t run any dungeons (except for Arah story) for probably the first nine months of the game. It might have been even longer. I have to be in a certain mood to want to do group content, and I have to be in a certain mood to want to do small group content. Plus, I like to feel that I won’t be a liability for a dungeon run, and so I rarely feel up to running one on a class I’m still trying to get the hang of. So, even now after having run dungeons tons of times and gotten dungeon master (by actually doing the paths, too), I still will usually not do dungeons while leveling new characters.

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

Yeah, I understand OP, it can be nearly impossible to find literally ONE OTHER PERSON in the whole game looking to complete this mission.

After getting to level 80 over 30 or more hours of game time, I can see how difficult it can be to make even a SINGLE in-game friend to get to help you with this event.

It’s even more insurmountable to find any person at all willing to help you get past the first segment, literally the only part of that dungeon that requires more than one person.

So yes OP, I feel your pain, and I recommend you play a more single-player friendly game, like solitaire

Ybrahim.2084

Lorgus, were you attempting to use sarcasm? If so, I think you need to go back and read the instructions. Bonus points for completely missing the point of the post though, I give you an F minus.

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Nope choice between dungeon story mode and dungeon explorable mode, no choice for personal sorty at all, it just so happens that the personal story requires that specific storymode dungeon to advance to the celebration in fort trinity.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Why are people so averse to doing content that involves other people in a multiplayer game?

RoseofGilead.8907

Why are people so averse to doing content that involves other people in a multiplayer game?

Well, the way Anet set up the personal story has it play out as largely solo content. I mean, I think many people did most of (if not all) their PS solo. And then we’re given our final Personal Story, and it’s suddenly content that requires other people. It’s just jarring more than anything else, really.

And yes, this is a multiplayer game, but it could easily just be a solo game. No group content (save Arah Story) is required to progress your own story arc or to even do the Living Story segments.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Well, the way Anet set up the personal story has it play out as largely solo content. I mean, I think many people did most of (if not all) their PS solo. And then we’re given our final Personal Story, and it’s suddenly content that requires other people. It’s just jarring more than anything else, really.

And yes, this is a multiplayer game, but it could easily just be a solo game. No group content (save Arah Story) is required to progress your own story arc or to even do the Living Story segments.

I think a better question is: why do people play MMOs if they want a single player experience? There’s plenty of games that handle single player RPG gameplay better than a game designed for multiplayer. Even in the PS you have the option to play with other people. A huge portion of GW2 involves running into other people and working with them for events and such.

I’m not trying to attack anyone, I’m just genuinely puzzled.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Most people aren’t. But when it’s mission after mission after mission of a ‘personal’ story that you can do all by your own personal self and then you can’t come to the conclusion of that personal story because the last personal story mission is for an impersonal party of 5, well…

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

What gets me is the philosophy behind this decision bled over into the open world. Instead of easily being able to jump into events that were open world with the LS system, it too was plagued by group only instances at the end and we had miles of players sitting around an instance entrance in LS.

I still haven’t finished my personal story either because quite frankly it’s not made for storytelling purposes despite what we’ve been told. Apparently, they think it should be locked behind group content and as we’ve seen from history, that never works with storytelling in PVE.

It’s gotta go. If they want dungeon content locked behind group content that’s fine, but leave the personal story and LS system out of that group dynamic unless you are planning on making more world bosses.

5 mans should not even come into the picture for PS and LS.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’ve done Arah story the past 5 or 6 day’s straight. It’s certainly possible to find a party. The only one I had to wait until the next day on was CoE story. Though I did HoW story instead on another needing it.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Regardless of what excuses/justifications any of you have to mention, it’s still obvious that this was designed very poorly overall.

OP is right. Victory or Death was bullkitten and they should have spent more time on this instead of rushing to release it and then never reworking it again.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Licking the inside of a toaster… that’s very good. 10/10 would read again.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Personal story being as solo as it is, you’re actually directed TO DUNGEONS during it. Dungeon story modes give a lot of exposition you may need in subsequent personal story missions. Read the mails you get from your “herald” about the dungeons the next time you’re leveling a character. The dungeons actually have their place in the progression of the PS, though more an intercession until Arah’s story mode.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Oh well, at least now I know to stick to doing hearts and events. After this experience, I know better than to try the “Living Story”. I think I’d rather nail my hand to a wall or lick the inside of a toaster.

Good news is that living story again is totally soloable.

“Victory or Death” really should be changed to being solo mission too. Especially with many characters it is annoying to always have to find a group and do that long story dungeon. Have to admit that it is the reason why most of my later alts have not completed the personal story.

(edited by Ameepa.6793)

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Just because the last quest isn’t solo-able doesn’t mean your personal choices leading up to the climax are invalidated.

Also, beat the game with 8 characters and never had to wait more than 10? mins to fill party using LFG (this was last winter)

I still laugh when people complain about not being able to solo in an MMO. The last dungeon is hilariously easy as well

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I still laugh when people complain about not being able to solo in an MMO.

Why? Does it somehow hurt your experience if someone else prefers playing solo? Is it so strange idea that people like different things and playing styles? Better to get used to it. It is kinda rude to laugh at others if they happen to like different things than you.

Soloable content is after all the best kind of content there can be. It is doable for everyone. Group content cannot be soloed, but solo content can be grouped (and it can scale!).

The more there is content that everyone can do, the more there will be players. More players means more money which means more content.

Clarification: I don’t mean stricktly solo-only content. I mean content that is soloable, meaning that you can choose if you do it solo or with other people, and it scales.

(edited by Ameepa.6793)

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

@OP: Really, consider yourself saved of a couple of hours of extreme boredom and sleepiness since you couldn’t move on the last mission.

I recently helped a friend finish his personal story, and it was so boring to the point we talked “want to play something else after this?” like 4 times during the entire dungeon.

I think it’s a waste since the story had so much potential from the first missions, but somewhere along the way they just decided “!@#$ this story” and things get bad, VERY BAD.
I’m the type that laughs when I see something terribly bad, and I remember I didn’t laugh when there was that “oh someone died to an eye in the middle of nowhere here”. It was bad to an extent that it wasn’t even funny, it felt as if they were doing it on purpose.

And finally, in the last dungeon, there’s like 5~6 times where you can really fall asleep if you’re even slightly tired.
Although that being said, you’ll really enjoy when you finish the dungeon, not because you completed the story or fought and awesome battle, but because you’ll never need to see whatever the crap that was ever again (unless you have friends (and they ask for help (and insist on it))).

I feel a bit ashamed when I recommend a game to someone, they play, don’t like or point some issues and I have to put the face “well I’m sorry [this/that] is bad and I recommended it to you”, and this was one of these occasions.
Ever since I finished the story, I always told my friends to forget about it (so they don’t have to experience that) but some are stubborn or completists…

The endgame always felt rushed in GW2 and they went on fixing bit by bit until it got decent, it’s just a shame they had the same care with the story.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Group content in an mmorpg – outrageous
Personal achievements of the hero requiring friends, allies or sidekicks – completely unheard of in myth, legend and fantasy literature/movies

I fear I have to tell you another downer: Your personal story, it is really available to every player and a lot of them already killed Zhaitan. So you really don´t have to bother with the mission. It is not really a personal thing. Weird how such games work, hu?

RoseofGilead.8907

Personal story being as solo as it is, you’re actually directed TO DUNGEONS during it. Dungeon story modes give a lot of exposition you may need in subsequent personal story missions. Read the mails you get from your “herald” about the dungeons the next time you’re leveling a character. The dungeons actually have their place in the progression of the PS, though more an intercession until Arah’s story mode.

Indeed, the Story Dungeons do follow their own separate, but slightly connected to you, story line. However, they’re not technically part of YOUR personal story; they’re the story of Destiny’s Edge coming back together. And while you get your Herald emails telling you about it, you are not directed to go to them as part of your storyline with the giant green swirlies.

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

Wow… some people in here must have the lowest amount of patience I have ever seen.

Except on weekday mornings, I usually find it takes no longer than 5 mins to fill a party for Arah story, and I have run it 70+ times as a tour guide.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Indeed, the Story Dungeons do follow their own separate, but slightly connected to you, story line. However, they’re not technically part of YOUR personal story; they’re the story of Destiny’s Edge coming back together. And while you get your Herald emails telling you about it, you are not directed to go to them as part of your storyline with the giant green swirlies.

No, but the story from dungeons does impact the personal story in a way. They’re a sidestep to the personal story, but they help explain why things happened, like why logan and rytlock dont entirely loath each other anymore.

Posted by: Quantum.7041

Quantum.7041

At this point, I can only imagine the writers and devs high-fiving each other before going out to celebrate by giving some hapless nerd a swirlie.

I find that image rather hilarious.

On topic, I’ve only run Arah SM for the trait unlock, not because of the PS (which remains incomplete on all of my 80s). I’ve managed to only join groups already in progress (by pure chance) and never earlier than the dragon champs , but I still have a twinge of despair when I’m compelled to run it. It can be agonizingly slow between encounters, and the encounters themselves are mechanically trivial.

As I was told (by the welcoming, friendly community) the first time I attempted to watch a cutscene in game, you could always hit youtube for the story (and potentially be kicked from a SM if you think that’s crappy advice..which it is :-/ ).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree that there’s a big issue with how Arah/story is set up.

• You can do the entire personal story alone (or with just 1-2 people); you do not have to do any dungeons.
  • You reach Arah and you are required to do a dungeon (story path) and it’s the only p-story instance designed for five.

I don’t think that’s “trolling,” but I do think it’s bad design. (Likely, one of the unintended consequences of rolling out in August 2012 instead of later.)

OTOH, it’s been like that for 2 years. I don’t think it’s worth spending a lot of resources “fixing” the issue (i.e. completely redoing that story) as opposed to devoting time/people into the next new thing(s).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ybrahim.2084

A lot of people seem to have missed the point of this post. I wasn’t cranky because of grouping. I was cranky because the last step in an entirely soloable quest line was a group quest. It makes no sense at all, and it adds annoyance to an already annoying process.

Frankly, anyone who still thinks that MMORPG should equal forced grouping is an idiot. GW2 itselkittennowledges this by not making you group for their quests, which makes their decision to troll players at the end of their personal story even more puzzling.

Do I play GW2 with other people? Of course I do! I’m an officer in a guild that has existed ever since DAoC’s first year. I mainly do WvW with them (in a group), and when I do PvE I play with other people in events. To conflate grouping with the social aspect of online gaming is silly and reductive.

One of the best things about GW2 is that I don’t have to waste time looking for groups or waiting for my guildmates to come online. I can flit about hither and yon, doing a heart here and an event there, I can go craft, or I can just wander around and explore. I get to decide how to invest my time, it’s not dictated to me based on the number of people LFG.

I find dungeons tedious so I don’t bother with them, and I’m OK with not getting the “special” rewards if it means not having to sit in a PuG when half the people are AFK or semi-AFK (look at porn on your own time!) and the other half say things like, “Lol wut? Noob kitten kitten kitten kitten ”. If you’re really unlucky you get some kind of armchair general who thinks I should waste my precious, precious free time being ordered about by some Cheeto-huffing morlock. No, thank you, and again, no thank you.

As for the lore, I think I’ve made it clear what I think of Destiny’s Child and the collection of two dimensional cliches they call characters. I don’t care if Caithe joins the dark side, and I am completely OK with them all getting put in a rocket and fired into the sun. If they were as awesome as the characters in Order of the Stick I would be more sympathetic, but Logan and the rest of them are incredibly generic fantasy cutouts.

You want to know what’s really silly in a massively multiplayer game? Making a handful of forgettable NPCs more important than the players. It’s not necessary for building a strong narrative, and unless you get it perfect it’s going to suck. There are dozens of ways they could have done the personal story that made each player feel like it was their story. Instead they made you an extra in your own movie. Lol wut indeed.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

A lot of people seem to have missed the point of this post. I wasn’t cranky because of grouping. I was cranky because the last step in an entirely soloable quest line was a group quest. It makes no sense at all, and it adds annoyance to an already annoying process.

I disagree. By level 30, you should have received a mail telling you about dungeons — it is part of the personal story albeit optional. If you follow that optional stories that opens at certain level that bring you to a different dungeon, you’ll learn more about your NPC companions and would have prepared your for the final battle (or last step).

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I disagree. By level 30, you should have received a mail telling you about dungeons — it is part of the personal story albeit optional. If you follow that optional stories that opens at certain level that bring you to a different dungeon, you’ll learn more about your NPC companions and would have prepared your for the final battle (or last step).

But those are purely optional. You do not have to do any of those dungeons to complete your Personal Story.

But Arah story mode is not optional.

It’s “oh, there’s this personal story step, but it’s group content, so it’s optional since this is your personal story after all” for the first several dungeon steps. Then you get to Arah. “Oh, sorry, this group content isn’t optional even though this is still your personal story.”.

That’s what the issue is. That it went from purely optional to purely required.

Posted by: sharkstein.2109

sharkstein.2109

Glad to see at least someone agrees on the terrible writing from ‘the industries finest’ that this game has to offer. I hear your pain, kind person, I really do. I would lick the inside of a toaster with you any time of the day.

“Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness”.
— Every heartbroken Guild Wars fan on GW2

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

But those are purely optional. You do not have to do any of those dungeons to complete your Personal Story.

Yes they are option but still part of the story.

Yes but the stories while leveling up prepares you for it. That’s my point.

It’s “oh, there’s this personal story step, but it’s group content, so it’s optional since this is your personal story after all” for the first several dungeon steps. Then you get to Arah. “Oh, sorry, this group content isn’t optional even though this is still your personal story.”.

Not exactly. If you think about it, the Arah dungeon is where your personal story intersects with the NPC’s or other player’s personal story.

As I’ve explained above.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Ybrahim.2084

To be fair, some of the writing is pretty good. Off the top of my head some of the best writing is in the Priory quest line with the Skritt, oddly enough. The writers did a fair job showing the pathos connected to the devatsation wrought by the Destroyers.

I’m sure there are other examples, but I can’t think of any involving Destiny’s Backstreet Boys or whatever.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Have always agreed about the final story quest. Do not want to be forced to group. I get that it’s an MMO, I get that you’ve gently been guided towards story dungeons, but I still don’t like it.

Personally, I think all story mode dungeons should be soloable. Save the group for explorables.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Yep.

The personal storyline is incredibly, incredibly poor. The bad writting and the worse acting make it a mess, but the corollary is how something that has ever been soloable suddenly becomes, at the very end, a group activity.

And considering how great the dungeon community is, I suggest buying a full set of berserger gear before you even open the LFG interface.

If it makes you feel any better, the last dungeon is horribly designed. You kill the Elder Dragon by spamming your keyboard’s number “2”. That’s pretty much it. You’re not missing a lot.

Meanwhile, ArenaNet already said they will abandon the personal storyline system, and they also won’t bother changing “Victory or Death” because they claim people like to play new content, not old content. So don’t expect any improvement any time soon or ever at all.

Seera.5916

Yes they are option but still part of the story.

Yes but the stories while leveling up prepares you for it. That’s my point.

Not exactly. If you think about it, the Arah dungeon is where your personal story intersects with the NPC’s or other player’s personal story.

As I’ve explained above.

But you’re failing to realize that optional does not equal required. And that those of us who prefer to do things by ourselves do not particularly like having to do things with others to finish up something that we did not know would end with a group required instance. They didn’t let us know before we got invested in the story that the final chapter of the story would require us to group up.

I don’t mind doing group content. When I choose to do it. I also don’t like the feeling of being forced to do something I don’t want to do. Even when it really isn’t forcing.

When I started the personal story back at game’s launch, I didn’t know the final chapter was group content. By the time I learned, I was already into the story.

It peeved me off. I don’t mind playing with others around me when my success and speed of success isn’t so highly dependent on how the others around me are playing. Especially if I don’t know their skill level. And now to finish the story that I’m enjoying, I have to group with 4 others who may be even worse at the game than I am, and I’m not that good?

Yes, it was the intersection of two story lines. Those of us who prefer to play alone and got peeved at the final chapter are fully aware of it and fully understand that. But that does not reduce our irritation at it. In fact, it increases it. Because now all that optional group content that we prefer not to do just made us go: who are these other guys? What are they doing here?

I’ve done Arah story mode twice. Once with a group of friends who currently don’t play and once with a PUG. I wasn’t too fond of that long story mission with strangers. So I likely won’t do it again until I have more friends willing to do Arah.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Let’s look at this from a logical perspective. How can you, a single commander stand a chance against a massive force that is Zhaitan’s minions? You are definitely going to need help. Besides, the main head of the story dungeon is treated as the main character.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Seera.5916

Let’s look at this from a logical perspective. How can you, a single commander stand a chance against a massive force that is Zhaitan’s minions? You are definitely going to need help. Besides, the main head of the story dungeon is treated as the main character.

Doesn’t mean that the final mission had to be a dungeon.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Besides, the main head of the story dungeon is treated as the main character.

Thanks for reminding me of another thing that bugged me. I am supposed to be the star of the show, not whoever happens to start the instance. Another reason it should be soloable.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

What this means is that most of us haven’t ever seen our own characters in the cutscenes for the Arah story dungeon.

It’s the one reason I’d like to be able to solo the final instance of the personal story. For all the previous stories, my hero is the one in the cutscenes. It’s jarring to see a completely strange character in that place instead. It takes away from the feeling that this is, in fact, your own character’s story.

Posted by: Samhaim.8956

Samhaim.8956

YEA! Let’s kill the elder dragon on our own and show everyone how its done! ez pz m8!!

To the ppl complaining about the dungeon community and lfg, you can start you own dungeon saying “story mode any welcome watching cutscenes” or whatever the hell you want and it’ll fill up in a few minutes. I’ve done it on my alt, worked just fine, no one was complaining or calling ppl noobs or w/e…All you gotta do is state what you’re looking for and you’ll get it.
@OP i think it would make absolutely no sense to have us solo the fight against zhaitan, its an elder dragon, a weakened one, but still, its a massive battle and you’re not the star, you’re just part of the army, and if you weren’t there someone else would’ve taken your place. In such massive fight you are Not a special snowflake.

Samhaiim ~ Thief

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

whait, theres group content in a multiplayer game!? -gasp-

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

Let’s look at this from a logical perspective. How can you, a single commander stand a chance against a massive force that is Zhaitan’s minions? You are definitely going to need help.

I don’t see the validity of that argument at all. Saying that Zhaitan needs more than one guy to beat him, is no justification for ending the story in a 5-player dungeon. Anything that truly required an army to defeat, should have taken place in open-world.

This was literally the worst gaff ANet made with the GW2 launch and it’s shameful they still haven’t fixed it.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Protip:
4. Patiently wait.

takes a drink

We are soooooooooooooooooo beyond that point with this one.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Besides, the main head of the story dungeon is treated as the main character.

Thanks for reminding me of another thing that bugged me. I am supposed to be the star of the show, not whoever happens to start the instance. Another reason it should be soloable.

You’ll like Living Story then. The characters still have most of the focus, but they can’t do anything without you taking the charge. And they always refer to you as The Boss.