Video about Level 80 Boost

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hey all,

We’ve prepared a handy little video that talks about the Level 80 Boost that became available with our Spring Update.

You can view the video over here.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

So it will reward the items no matter what level character you use the item on?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Crashjohnson.8716

Crashjohnson.8716

Does anyone know if boosting a already leveling character skip the story missions?

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

It won’t skip any missions. I have a few characters at lvl 80 with lvl 10-30 Personal Story missions still to do. It works just as f you lvl up to 80 manually, without progressing you PS.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Did anyone else see the SAB honey comb boss in this vid lol?

It’s at 2:14 – I urge you all to check it out, what is he/she doing there in the Silverwastes!?

Attachments:

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Crashjohnson.8716

Crashjohnson.8716

thanks I was worried about it

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

So it will reward the items no matter what level character you use the item on?

Yes, you get all of the listed items like the dye packs on a non-80 character as well. I just checked for myself.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

(edited by DragonflyDusk.6582)

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

You may want to update the messaging to mention that if you use the 80-boost, you do not receive all the standard level-up rewards from 2-80.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

You may want to update the messaging to mention that if you use the 80-boost, you do not receive all the standard level-up rewards from 2-80.

kitten , that’s a huge plus

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

Did anyone else see the SAB honey comb boss in this vid lol?

It’s at 2:14 – I urge you all to check it out, what is he/she doing there in the Silverwastes!?

Nice catch. Any idea?

Posted by: mia.8209

mia.8209

So can we only try a few weapons when we use the trial? I’m trying out a warrior and I was equipped with an axe, shield and rifle – not what I had on me when I activated the trial – and the NPC is only selling those items (and some underwater ones, which seems unnecessary in dry-as-dust SW but … okay) and no bows, greatswords, swords, maces, etc. So do I just have to use the lowlevel weapons I had on me before to try those weapons out, or can I get level 80 trial weapons somewhere beyond the 3 that the NPC offers?

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Really sort of angry about this item. I already have every toon at level 80, so it was useless to me for that purpose. So hey, I get neat loot instead. Cool! Except Im stuck with 17 pieces of soulbound Soldiers exotics, none of which I can use on anyone (and cant anyway because its SOULBOUND to a character that has full ascended). I cant salvage them. I cant reforge them in the Mystic Toilet. What the kitten is the point? This is a great “gift”. A bag full of trash. I cant even vendor them for a few paltry silver. I cant do ANYTHING with this set of gear. kitten make them salvagable, at least!

Posted by: Sairyan.1465

Sairyan.1465

Saved me so much time leveling my last 80 char and I was saving to get the shared slot, and you gave me both today! Also the other patch updates are fantastic. Thank you GW 2 Devs for all the work and passion you bring to this game.

(edited by Sairyan.1465)

Posted by: Songarg.3657

Songarg.3657

Does it auto fill in your personal story like the boost in Star Wars the Old Republic?

I know the personal story wasn’t great and “Why would you even want to play it?” is probably the response that you’re going to post in about 3 seconds. Though, I like having a little journey with my alts in GW2. Seeing all the twists and arcs before Claw Island merges them together.

I’d like to check using the trial feature, but the trial disables your journal so I can’t really.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, it doesn’t. I think the video Gaile linked explains it all. (It’s on the GW2 YouTube channel.)

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

So now a new player can join the game, use this boost and get instantly to level 80.
On top of that, it also gives you a complete set of soldiers armor, weapons, trinkets, food items, utility items, and unlocks certain waypoints in every level 80 map?
This is just… what?!
Don’t get me wrong, I like the new shared slot, but what’s the point of even playing the game if you’re instantly given everything you need? Doesn’t that just inherently defeat the purpose of playing the maps and lower-level content?

Is Anet that desperate for new players? Please help me understand, because I’m so lost on this one.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Really, the point of the game is what you want it to be. If someone enjoys leveling up, they still can. If they don’t, they can use this (once). As you probably know, the maps are scaled so lower-level content is still playable at 80.

Posted by: Eternalight.4708

Eternalight.4708

It’s a one time luxury item. Enjoy it. We’re lucky to get it.

level 80 Thief – Home Sweet [Home] – Black Lion Mercenary Corps [MERC] ~ Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I’ll help you understand…

Anet, over time, dumbed the game down to the standards of the most casual player possible (‘from Candy Crush to my first MMO’ kind of folks) which has made the entry level experience, for anyone that’s even played a single any kind of RPG ever, mind numbing and tedious and ultimately a turnoff. This is a way to get people in the door and show them there’s hope and fun some sunny day when you can actually make a build and have some options while also seeing that others eventually end up having fun too.

Leveling a Mesmer for instance… /sigh

(OH! plus marketing shenanigans of course.)

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

Let people do what they want, if they want insta lvl 80 once, let them be. If they want to use all their tomes of knowledge, let them be. If they want to lvl up nirmally, let them be

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

@OP: On top of what everyone else has already said, there’s also the fact that you’re not ‘instantly given everything you need.’ The handful of waypoints you get is miniscule… you’ll still have to go out and explore to get ones near world bosses, for example. The gear you get is not going to be ideal for most builds, and the 2g certainly won’t pay for a set of exotics (or even rares) for whatever build you want to try. At most the boost gives a minor leg up and some encouragement to new players to explore the game in whichever way they wish to choose; and to not feel rushed exploring the lower level content. This is a good thing.

~EW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

The community in this game is something else… Now we cry when we’re given free kitten.

Amazing.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Be grateful we’re being given more options to play how we wish to play.

I will never understand people who complain about more available options being offered to them – nor how it impacts/hinders their gameplay.

Edit: grammar.

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

Yeah don’t see the point of all this whining. I used up the item on my lvl 80 thief just to get it out of the way and what came out was a full set of exo valkyries, which btw are not good for any viable thief build.

However I think that the leveling grind is a fairly boring business and those who want to explore the world will do it out of their own enjoyment and not because they have to in order to level up, it’s not like I have leveled a single character the manual way after the first one I made

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

So now a new player can join the game, use this boost and get instantly to level 80.
On top of that, it also gives you a complete set of soldiers armor, weapons, trinkets, food items, utility items, and unlocks certain waypoints in every level 80 map?
This is just… what?!
Don’t get me wrong, I like the new shared slot, but what’s the point of even playing the game if you’re instantly given everything you need? Doesn’t that just inherently defeat the purpose of playing the maps and lower-level content?

Is Anet that desperate for new players? Please help me understand, because I’m so lost on this one.

Grow up and get over it. If you want this older mmorpg to keep surviving, Anet has to do stuff like this to draw in new players and old players that quit. The 80 level didn’t give them ascended or legendary, it didn’t give them aps, it didn’t give them a pvp rank or wvw rank……there is LOTS of stuff they will still need to grind.

I hear so often on these boards and ingame how easy it is to get to 80. Then, when 80 is given to peeps with some gear, wps, and such, suddenly the waambulance appears and screams how unfair it is.

Give me a break. It is NOT a gamebreaker. And if it is for you, then you shouldn’t be playing a mmorpg.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

You pretty much answered yourself.

What’s the point?
If I were a new player, why whould I skip a couple of weeks of exploring low level maps at their intended level and learning the ropes of the game?
Why would even pay for an endgame expansion before reaching level 80 when I can experience all the leveling content and much more for free?
As a veteran player, why would I need this kind of item when I’ve already stockpiled a ridiculous amount of knowledge tomes and maybe even birthday scrolls?

There always has been people out there who look for “end game” content from the very beginning, for whom leveling is an annoying process even the first time.
I guess those are mainly the ones this feature is trying to tease into purchasing HoT.

Anyways, if I’m going to receive a free shared slot everytime, they can make as many marketing experiments as they want. There’s hardly any satisfaction loss with this one.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe you missed those threads asking for an item to insta-level to 80, or the threads asking for a way to buy Waypoints. Even stating they would pay for it in the Gem Store.

I guess some players will be thrilled with the option. Those who aren’t thrilled can just ignore it, no?

Good luck.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

This is just… what?!

Honestly I wouldnt have a problem with this if it didnt take away people I can do dungeons with as I level, do I agree with the instant 80 thing? Not really but do I understand why someone may not want to replay content after many times of course I do!

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

This is just… what?!

Grow up and get over it. If you want this older mmorpg to keep surviving, Anet has to do stuff like this to draw in new players and old players that quit. The 80 level didn’t give them ascended or legendary, it didn’t give them aps, it didn’t give them a pvp rank or wvw rank……there is LOTS of stuff they will still need to grind.

I hear so often on these boards and ingame how easy it is to get to 80. Then, when 80 is given to peeps with some gear, wps, and such, suddenly the waambulance appears and screams how unfair it is.

Give me a break. It is NOT a gamebreaker. And if it is for you, then you shouldn’t be playing a mmorpg.

And yet you think its ok to tell people to grow up and be rude about it? Its just his opinion you can enlighten him without being toxic, and by the way you arent helping new players come in by acting that way.

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

It’s a one time luxury item. Enjoy it. We’re lucky to get it.

You are so naive to believe that.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

mia.8209

So can we only try a few weapons when we use the trial? I’m trying out a warrior and I was equipped with an axe, shield and rifle – not what I had on me when I activated the trial – and the NPC is only selling those items (and some underwater ones, which seems unnecessary in dry-as-dust SW but … okay) and no bows, greatswords, swords, maces, etc. So do I just have to use the lowlevel weapons I had on me before to try those weapons out, or can I get level 80 trial weapons somewhere beyond the 3 that the NPC offers?

Any info/response on this?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

The community in this game is something else… Now we cry when we’re given free kitten.

Amazing.

Pretty much. I actually saw people complaining in VB tonight about how the mobs were no longer hard enough and they were getting too much loot . . . if you can believe that.

Personally, I’m more than happy with these changes so far. Hope it’s a preview of things to come.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Any info/response on this?

There is a standard weapons NPC right near the gate where he is for other weapons, albeit of White quality.
Also you can still pick up items from drops as well.
Beyond that, this does seem to be the case.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Kelmen.3896

Kelmen.3896

i got this from the recent patch, about lvl 80 boost package

is this “shared inventory slot” permanent? or only for that boost package purpose?
if it is permanent, is there a way i can arrange/sort it like other bags?

it mess up my existing inv placement.

mia.8209

There is a standard weapons NPC right near the gate where he is for other weapons, albeit of White quality.
Also you can still pick up items from drops as well.
Beyond that, this does seem to be the case.

Bummer. :/ I love this boost thing but this and not being able to try out elite specs feel like really unnecessary limitations.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

They discussed it here:
http://dulfy.net/2016/04/19/gw2-spring-quarterly-update-reddit-ama/

1 – it is permanent
2 – “Allowing the option of moving shared inventory slots around is a lot of work. We can look at keeping shared inventory slots separate even in hide bags mode which can be done in a shorter time frame”

Posted by: Star Riser.8127

Star Riser.8127

I started played GW 2, leveled my char to 80, had 500 in two main craftings I needed for a ranger, AND managed to get asended gear, 100% map compation, in about… 140 hrs, give or take… omg this item is so bad! it gave them lvl 80 and handful of WP, I used it on my guardian… omg I got to map him out now!…. I go to queensdale to start and OMG IM LVL 6….

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Honestly the time for caring about auto-leveling has passed in this game. We already had tomes and all this other stuff and resources and ways to get to 80 without having to do the story or ‘anything’ at all. People took pride in getting a character to 80 when the game was first launched and it continued that way till these items got introduced. Why? Cause it took time and effort and investment!

Honestly I think the game is only hurting itself by continuing to add ways to auto level 80. Why? It just makes a HUGE part of the game irrelevant straight off the bat. Any gear not exotic or higher and not lvl 80 is now irrelevant for the purposes of equipping/using. Doing the story or knowing what it is at all is largely irrelevant. Knowing anything about Gw2 is largely irrelevant. Knowing the zones or anything outside of key areas is irrelevant. Exploring the maps…has been irrelevant for a while with the handholding “go this way and explore here next” kitten ui tooltips. The game hurts itself into a shallow experience as an easy way to draw in new players with short attention spans. That’s pretty much all this boils down too. It is disconcerting but its been going on for so long and its already been in the core game for so long that its hard to get all of a sudden really angry about. It doesn’t surprise me at all this new thign exists. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if rare gear was handed out freely….or exotic gear…..or if all ur characters were automatically allowed to be lvl 80 with a press of a button at any point in ur playtime. It punishes the players that want to go through the gw2 experience….for sure. Especially since they know they could just click a button and activate god mode and just run through everything faster and more efficiently with 0 effort.

Amazing.

Obviously this is a different segment of the community that is complaining now…

It would be like darksouls devs listening to people say the game needs to be made easy. And then people coming and complaining that the game is now too easy! Obviously they are not gonna be the same people who wanted it to be made easy in the first place.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Posted by: infinitenoah.8296

infinitenoah.8296

I can’t figure out why anybody would complain about getting a free level 80.

Posted by: Izay.8725

Izay.8725

I can’t figure out why anybody would complain about getting a free level 80.

People always find a way to complain about something. Not only did they give us a free 80, but a universal bag slot which is 700 Gems. PS to people who aren’t aware, other game companies are charging for around 50$ for level boost lol.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s just for one character, for one time only, and you don’t even have to use it to instantly level – you can use it at level 79, maybe even 80 like I did.

Just because a cheese sandwich is on the table, doesn’t mean you have to eat it!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Yeah! New people should have to level up like everyone else! By using a ton of tomes!

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I realise I’m the odd one out here but I’ve never seen leveling up and getting equipment as the purpose of the game.

To me that’s like saying the purpose of going on holiday is to go on a plane and stay in a hotel. That’s not why you go on holiday, it’s the practicalities you have to do in order to get to the fun stuff.

Of course the practicalities can be enjoyable too. I’m 31 and frequently travel for work but when I first get to a hotel I’ll still bounce around like a child looking in all the cupboards, test out the bed etc. And when I do level up in GW2 I’ll still go “ooh, new level, I wonder what I’ve unlocked this time?”.

But I wouldn’t go on holiday just to see a hotel and I don’t play a game just to level up. Otherwise I’d never have played my main character after I got her to level 80, or any of the others I’ve leveled since then.

I’ve actually spend more time on my main than all my other characters put together, the vast majority of it after getting to level 80. Why? Because I’ve been playing the game. I did it ye olde slow way, no tomes, no XP boosters, nothing. And even then I’d barely scratched the surface by the time I hit 80. I hadn’t finished my story, hadn’t entered a single dungeon, played WvW or PvP, the Living Story was just starting, if the wardrobe existed I’d have only unlocked a small selection of mostly boring skins, I had about 500 achievement points…

People who buy the game now and use the level 80 boost right away will have even more than that. They won’t have any achievement points (as far as I remember GW2 doesn’t consider levelling up an achievement), won’t have started the story, completed anything in any map except the handful of waypoints they’re given, won’t have any other equipment or skins or laurels/dungeon tokens/WvW badges etc. etc.

Far from skipping the whole game and having nothing to do and no motivation to do it they’ll have the entire game to play through. It basically changes it from an initially linear game to an open-world one where they can do anything or everything they want. Which I don’t see as a bad thing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I realise I’m the odd one out here but I’ve never seen leveling up and getting equipment as the purpose of the game.

I think that’s how a vast majority of people feel. This game especially feels like you don’t really do much until after you’ve hit 80. Which I think is great.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

This is just… what?!

It’s not everything you need to play. You’re given a set of functional armor. It’s not ascended, and it’s not tailored to your preferred playstyle (Though it’s not always Soldier’s gear. Some classes get Valkyrie or Knight’s instead, for more balance between damage and survivability depending on the class’s base chassis)

Some games put a wall in front of you. Others give you a foot in the door (Which might slam on it if you screw up/wait too long). Guild Wars 2 gives you a Kool-Aid Man through the wall into the party now.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Two months after GW2 released, I joined. I was told by my friends to get to level 80, nothing else mattered, game was unplayable until 80. So I grinded on EXP trains for a month. I never explored. I didn’t finish PS story. I didn’t learn to properly play my class. I didn’t craft. I got to 80 and had no idea what I was doing and guess what? Neither did my friends.

Hilarious that people think that this sort of thing didn’t exist until this boost was introduced. People still grind away or use tomes or pile up on XP boosters and get to level 80 without having played half the game and they always will. What the insta-80’s will soon learn though is that they need to explore to get the wps for world bosses, that map completion rewards are nice, and there are tons of juicy achievements to be earned. Oh and that they still need to learn to properly play their class and that the free gear is likely crap stats they won’t like.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I think it is an awesome gesture from ANet. The free shared slot, the teles to a friend, the dyes, the booster. I see this is a way of extending the olive branch and saying we are making a strong effort to mend fences that may have gotten a little worn.

If you don’t want to use the level 80 boost then by all means don’t. I will never understand the crowd that get’s mad because someone doesn’t have to do something the same way they did 4 years ago.

I have 23 Characters, all level 80 and leveled mapping and doing events. 16 have 100% map completion that I did because I wanted to, my choice. I have no issue with someone being given the opportunity to go straight to 80 if they want.

Let me just say Thank You ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 team for not only the update but also showing you are again starting to listen to your player base.

And to everyone else have fun I’ll see you in the game!!!!

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

No. It is only for players that have bought HoT.

If a new player bought HoT and wants to go into the HoT maps he/she can now do quite instantly, if he/she wants. Anet gives the player the choice. I think it is a very good idea.

And thanks Anet for the shared inventory slot. I never would have bought it (because I think the price for this is too high) but I am happy und thankful for this gift.

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

The level 80 upgrade and goodies were done sensibly and it was a great addition, IMO. Now going back to hibernation…