Viewing your characters online?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Hi,

Will there ever be a way to view your characters online (a la WoW Armory)?

I think it would be great to be able to view your own stats and gear etc. and that of others.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

I imagine this has got to be coming along with an SDK for those hosting sites. I’m looking forward to the official reply to this question.

Posted by: Sinphul.3091

Sinphul.3091

I hope not personally.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand you have people that would use it as a backdoor inspect feature while while on the other sharing builds and gear would be great without needing to link them. Someone may say, “You PvP and have 0 in critical strikes!” or, “You wanna do dungeons but are running a full glass cannon build! Are you nuts!” people will then think and research what’s best for what game feature.

But I don’t agree with the backdoor inspect so… -_-

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Well the back door inspect can be avoided by making them all private by default and optionally public (to various levels of trust: friends, guild, everyone).

Lankybrit.4598

What’s the downside to having it inspected by someone else?

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

What’s the downside to having it inspected by someone else?.

Someone stealing my clearly uber builds :P

Posted by: Tommytoons.2481

Tommytoons.2481

I don’t think its a good idea. That would make it harder for people group up because they inspect you and if you don’t have requirements, you’ll get booted. It seems unfair to casual or people with their own play style.

Lankybrit.4598

Hmm, can’t figure out how to quote.

@Lollie: Not been a problem in WoW for 7 years. Everyone pretty much knows what the best stuff is. This would be a nice – wow, cool gear dude – kind of thing.

Cheers.

Updated every Monday

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

I’m resurrecting this thread in hopes new information has possibly come to light over time – maybe even get a dev response? I build these sort of things for a living so from my perspective it’s not too hard to visualize this as a reality. It’s also become a more common component to contemporary games these days.

Honestly I think the previous posts above against this concept were perhaps a bit premature and unfounded. It’s not hard to add a flag to keep your profile private if that’s how you want to roll. Personally I don’t care if I ever get to inspect someone else’s gear/build. I’m only interested in this information for my own personal growth. I can’t even effectively lay out builds online because I don’t remember each and every specific piece of equipment I have slotted and the stats they amount to. Plus there are many egomaniacs that would want their build published if only so they could brag. A feature such as this would satisfy both types of players.

As for being cast out of groups based on gear. I think by now most people with half a brain recognize you can get by with basic greens if you wanted too. Only CoF zerg tools boot other players based on gear and they will continue to do so weather we have this feature or not. Time to spur that web team into action Anet!

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Make it so you can make your characters’ gear private or available for specific people/friends/guilds/people on your server/anyone to see. That way good players can openly show their gear because they have nothing to worry about, and bads can be avoided due to them either showing their gear is bad or that they don’t want to show it (i.e. hiding something so they don’t get booted).

As for being cast out of groups based on gear. I think by now most people with half a brain recognize you can get by with basic greens if you wanted too. Only CoF zerg tools boot other players based on gear and they will continue to do so weather we have this feature or not. Time to spur that web team into action Anet!

Yes, you can get by on basic greens, but if your entire team except you is in exotic berserker gear with ascended trinkets they’re going to be carrying you, and people don’t want to carry, they expect people to actually pull their weight, and if expecting people to do that makes me a “CoF zerg tool” then so be it, since apparently being concerned for the efficiency of the party is what makes me a tool.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

ghettogenius.9174

The argument that players with better gear are carrying those with lesser gear is highly debatable and probably best left for another thread. I am more interested in discussing an online tool for integrating with game data – namely gear.

You also make another gross over-assertion in claiming that those with private profiles are hiding lower tier gear and stats. There is absolutely no evidence to support this claim. In fact, the default setting should probably be private. So those who never interact with the system can remain anonymous, and those who wish to take part can opt in.

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

The argument that players with better gear are carrying those with lesser gear is highly debatable and probably best left for another thread. I am more interested in discussing an online tool for integrating with game data – namely gear.

It doesn’t make sense to start developing something where it is debatable if it is actually a real benefit to have.

You also make another gross over-assertion in claiming that those with private profiles are hiding lower tier gear and stats. There is absolutely no evidence to support this claim. In fact, the default setting should probably be private. So those who never interact with the system can remain anonymous, and those who wish to take part can opt in.

Only up to a point. People can refuse to team with you unless you open your profile to them. In a game which wants to encourage player interaction instead of segregation that would not be a good tool to have.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

It would encourage people to stop using bad gear and trying to get carried, so I think it would be a good tool.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

ghettogenius.9174

It doesn’t make sense to start developing something where it is debatable if it is actually a real benefit to have.

What is debatable is the intentions of such a tool.

I am looking at this as clever way to expose game data to the internet without the use of the client. What could this possibly be used for? Sharing builds if you are a theory crafter, allowing people to follow your characters more closely if you stream or play competitively, gain realtime access to your own builds for reference, boosting your ego after crafting that legendary, etc.

Now if you are looking at this as a method to restrict other players from your groups based on their gear then that is also your prerogative. However I am not advocating that such behavior be the main purpose of this feature.

Only up to a point. People can refuse to team with you unless you open your profile to them. In a game which wants to encourage player interaction instead of segregation that would not be a good tool to have.

In other games perhaps but in GW2? I have never once been asked to link my gear for a dungeon run. If I were to be kicked from the group for some trifling reason as not having BiS gear or not having memorized the boss encounter I would actually be a bit grateful as these are not the types of players I wish to spend time with. So I guess it would serve both our needs in this case.

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

There will never be an inspect feature in GW2 – it would instantly alienate every casual player in the game from getting into pug groups for harder content.

I have no interest in seeing other people’s builds or equipment, and I have no interest in them seeing mine so they can go “EWWW UR RUNNING THOSE ITEMS… KICK

nah, kitten that.

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

ghettogenius.9174

I have no interest in seeing other people’s builds or equipment, and I have no interest in them seeing mine so they can go “EWWW UR RUNNING THOSE ITEMS… KICK

Yet, you have previously posted details of your thief for all to see in these very forums. This has nothing to do with any in game inspect component – this is all outside of the actual game client.

Also, realize this is not just about exposing a characters gear but allowing for the interaction of that game data through a different interface. This could easily be extended the TP as well as character data. I could’ve sworn there was great excitement in the past around the idea of downloadable apps or web pages which could would let players take part in GW2 without having to load the game client on a different device.

Could you not see the benefit of being able to purchase some items and refit your character over your lunch break instead of wasting valuable time once you get home? Or how about leveling some crafting while you’re on the bus to and from work? I’m only talking about adding more tools for players to enjoy the game they love.

Posted by: melodyca.8921

melodyca.8921

It would encourage people to stop using bad gear and trying to get carried, so I think it would be a good tool.

It encourages elitism which is something we do not need in this game.