Virtual Reality support

Virtual Reality support

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

With an increase of VR headsets on the market, and the inevitable price decrease that I can see eventually happening as a market cries out for more affordability, will a game such as this support to at least a basic degree, virtual reality?

Now to make this thread more interactive, let’s discuss the different concepts of how to implement this game with the available technologies of VR.

My questions:

Will this continue to be a 3rd person game, or will there be 1st and 3rd person?
If 1st person, will there be any changes to the game mechanics of first person view? There should be no issues with using a headset tracking to move the camera’s view position.

Controls?
I could see how the wands on the HTC Vive could potentially be used as a part of this game, to not only use skills in the game, but also to control movement. Text in the game can be implemented via voice, as the Vive supports that feature. Or one could do what Ark Survival Evolved has done, where in-game voice is available. The possibility to use a keyboard is still available as I have already tried playing games with a keyboard and HTC Vive, and it worked just fine. I was already very familiar with the keyboard and knew exactly where the keys were to push.

Funding?
Apparently Valve is offering cash out to companies that want to expand out to virtual reality. This is to give incentive for developers to expand a new market that is already growing.

Immersive?
Already from experiencing the quality of virtual reality, I know that a title like this would hugely benefit from the player being in the game itself. I understand that there are a couple days for people to acquire their VR legs for games that don’t require you to move your physical legs, but that’s really a non-issue, as people including myself adapt internally to not get sick, and the sickness was minor actually. I suggest Ginger either as a drink, or a travel sickness pill, or ground up and sold at the super market. It’s really useful for getting your virtual reality legs, on those first couple days. After that, you won’t need it anymore and will be fine.

Room scale versus standing versus sitting?
I doubt this title could work in a full room scale tracking environment, and actually at this time discourage it. Not enough of the technologies are grabbing onto full room scale tracking. I recommend standing and sitting at this time. In fact this game will work just fine with either standing or sitting.

Feel free to discuss more.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Virtual Reality support

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

No guarantees of sales even if they did program in support for VR. And that’s YEARS after the game’s been out. Developing support for a VR system, whether it’s Oculus, Samsung, or whatever the next fad is, is going to detract from all other projects involved in the game including future content.

Virtual Reality support

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This is not the RPG I’d want to play with VR — I’d want something designed from the ground up with VR in mind. So, no thanks.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Virtual Reality support

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Actually, with a bit of setup, the game already works with VR. WoodenPotatoes put out a video about it about three months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh4bSYYaMqQ

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Virtual Reality support

Posted by: Epoch.5396

Epoch.5396

Ye it runs in VR if u zoom to first person but head tracking is pretty off which you can alter in Vorpx. However, the UI etc for Gw2 doesn’t crossover well. Lots of games require modding to make their Uis work which obviously you cant do with GW2

(Vorpx is a stereoscopic injector that lets you play older games in VR some with proper 3D and some just stereoscopic but mostly they work great. Ive been playing my library of games from Skyrim to Metro since i got VR 12 months ago and some are simply amazing.

I played Gw2 in VR for about 20 minutes and its nice to look at scenery but you cant actually play the game well in VR which you can in some other MMOs like ESO or Elite (mmo?) . To be honest in metas it could be totally crazy to play and a real sight to behold but I would hate to be that guy who keeps dying because they cant see a thing.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation