Voice of the people.

Voice of the people.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

so with this little tidbit of info about voice changes https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-new-voice-of-the-male-charr-player-character/ and with including this information that given

“with localized text and voice-over, and we do final testing of all that. To give a sense of the scope of this process, this update has about 1,500 distinct lines of new voice dialog, each of which must be recorded, integrated, and tested in each supported language. For the player character’s voice, we separately record each race/sex combination in each language, so that means 40 actors for each line.”
http://dulfy.net/2016/07/12/gw2-living-world-season-3-announcement/

and if i remember that when heart of thorns was announced John Collins said that one of the features of the new expansion will be the ability for the player to change the voice of there characters. So my questions are, is this one of the features coming into the next LSs3 update and if not is its still on the table?

Also what do the player base think?

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

Voice of the people.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Can you find a source for giving players the ability to change the voice of their characters? My recollection is that they said it wasn’t going to happen — see the quote you have above: 40 actors per line, 1,500 lines of new dialogue in one patch. That’s a lot of effort and expense.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Voice of the people.

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

it will take me time to find the video for the reference, but hey 40actors per line and 1,500 lines could be just a start.

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

Voice of the people.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t remember any such statement. And, forgive me, who is John Collins? (I must be out of the loop.)

The statement I remember was that the player character would now be voiced, rather than just text.

Voice of the people.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

it will take me time to find the video for the reference, but hey 40actors per line and 1,500 lines could be just a start.

You’re forgetting that they would ALSO need to re-record every single PC-spoken line from Personal Story (massive clusterkitten of lines right there), LS1 if they ever find a way to bring it back in a playable form, LS2, HoT, and the first episode of LS3. And that’s just what’s in game right now.

Voice of the people.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

40 actors per line =

4 languages – English, French, German and Spanish

5 Female characters – Asura, Charr, Human, Norn, Sylvari

5 Male characters (as above).

It’s not about extra voices to choose from in that particular quote, just an indication of how much work goes into voicing our own characters for release.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Voice of the people.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I don’t remember them saying that. That “40 actors” stuff is just for the default character voice.

And, forgive me, who is John Collins? (I must be out of the loop.)

Colin Johanson’s evil twin?

Voice of the people.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

They never said anything about letting players change their character voices. The thing with HoT was that the player character would be speaking again, period, something that was missing from LS2. Same voices, just a lot of new recordings and (if I’m not mistaken) some new technology to let the player talk more.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Voice of the people.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Adding 2 options, which I would consider a minimum if they were going to offer options at all, would mean 120 actors per line. :O

Voice of the people.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

a tone and pitch slider does wonders, but oh well….