Voices, will we ever get more?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ari.4023

Ari.4023

Only 1 set character voice for each race+gender combo.

I really would like to have more voices.

Whats ten more voice actors? And I don’t think they even keep them around on a regular salary, only comission more recordings when the need arises. Though the old ones probably get extra cash to maintain consistency.

Another idea is to code in Pitch modification for the existing voices, but those tend to sound horrible.

Hey, incentive: would make players get more Total Makeover Kits in order to change their voice.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Whats ten more voice actors?

It’d be 40 more voice actors, not ten. Ten for each supported language. It would be nice, but probably not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Ari.4023

Hmm, well.. Statistically I believe most players play Human characters. Most of my 9 characters are Human. One for each other race, except Sylvari where I have 2 though one is a revenant which I have abandoned. So thats 4 Humans, and would really like diffrent voices for them.

So, if Anet was to add extra voices for just the Human race, that would be alot less taxing.

inb4 you call me a racist, lol. In the end we are humans so we tend to play humans more…

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I would love to have more voices available. However, I think you aren’t measuring correctly what a huge impact on development can voices be, or how much coordination, money and work require to hire 10 more people, even for a limited job.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Ari.4023

Well, let us look back to Guild Wars 1 yes? There all characters are human, but each Class has its own voice actor for each gender.

With each expansion, Cantha and Elona that is, they added 2 more classes.

All in all they went up to 20 diffrent voices in the game eventually, without counting the other supported languages so that means more.

I do believe they have room to add more here.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Hmm, well.. Statistically I believe most players play Human characters. Most of my 9 characters are Human. One for each other race, except Sylvari where I have 2 though one is a revenant which I have abandoned. So thats 4 Humans, and would really like diffrent voices for them.

So, if Anet was to add extra voices for just the Human race, that would be alot less taxing.

inb4 you call me a racist, lol. In the end we are humans so we tend to play humans more…

Isn’t a bit selfish to ask them to add voice only for 1 race? I mean its pretty cool we got character who can speak in the first place.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

As you say, GW1 only had humans. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think there was only one basic path for everyone. So it was 10 people telling mostly the same dialog all the way. GW2 displays at least 5 paths, to begin with, because racial personal story. So its 10 people telling 5 different dialogs. But it doesn’t stop there. In GW2, different professions have different dialogs depending on race: Asura necros are way diferent from silvary necros… so they ARE multiplying dialogues, even if they aren’t multiplying voice actors. And that means more people writing dialogues, actors working to say more lines, and more work hours in general.

I’m not saying it is good we have so few voices. It really sucks. But it is not easy to do.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

GW1 wasnt constantly expanding. They wrote a campaign, it was done.

GW2, needs a whol.e back catalogue of voice dialogue and then a commitment to each new update and the time and resources to record it into the game. From what I have picked up, that is a huge undertaking.

At this juncture, I would be surprised to see new voices for PCs in this game, ever.

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

Well, let us look back to Guild Wars 1 yes? There all characters are human, but each Class has its own voice actor for each gender.

With each expansion, Cantha and Elona that is, they added 2 more classes.

All in all they went up to 20 diffrent voices in the game eventually, without counting the other supported languages so that means more.

I do believe they have room to add more here.

Different beast, GW1 didnt need as many VA lines since they were confined only to cinematics.

Also, New VA’s wont happen for current races, but new ones is a remote possiblity if we get more new races.

My Largos, Tengu, Mursaat, Stone Dwarf Dream will be real, ONE DAY.

But until then, cold reality aside.

Its not likley, it costs money, alot of money, to hire VA’s, and A-nets major money pool is likely going into adding Expansion 2 content atm.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

brief answer – NO

Way too much costs for ANet to make this ever happen.
You can expect thsi eventually, if Anet would offer finalyl as alternative optional payment method “Premium Accounts” with optional subscription fees, because only then would make anet enough income to be able to finance all the massive increase of production costs that multiple new “Voice Types” would mean for all the current game content and all of the content that is about to come in the futrure …

The game won’t be able to finance everything only with its weak junk shop, ehm gemstore alone. And expansions also are no solution either!!
Because creating expansions costs also alot of ressources and need to cash in first the production costs, before they can make eventually even profit for ANet that could potentially be used for new projects like new VAs for new content or for our plaer characters to decide between at character creation.

But even if thats the case, we will never have enough vas to make all the characters in gw2 sound different. you will always keep on having lots of characters on your account(s) that will share all the same voices despite beign completely different characters.

There are alot more important thigns to GW2 right now, than adding new voice – like for example giving the game finally a proper game Balancing that includes all of its combat mechanics. or addign finalyl Build Templates, or addign finally Jeweler/Chef 500, or finalyl reintroducign Season 1 as replayable content with new addedc"Mass Fractals" for the season 1 stuff that can’t be normally reimplemented, liek the Marionette Battle, or Lions Arch Battles and the Invasions of Scarlet.
They did it with the Tower of Nightmares, so I’m sure, they can bring back with Fractals also more of season 1 content back to finally reconstruct it as good as possible to make it replayable together with new achievements for it like all the other seasons have them too for replaying the story!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

It’d be 40 more voice actors, not ten. Ten for each supported language. It would be nice, but probably not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

I really wish Anet never added localized voice acting and instead gave every race 4 different English voices.

Almost everyone speaks English these days and for those who don’t they’d still have localized subtitles to help them out.

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I really wish Anet never added localized voice acting and instead gave every race 4 different English voices.

Almost everyone speaks English these days and for those who don’t they’d still have localized subtitles to help them out.

I’m not sure you realise how many countries don’t speak English globally, whether as a primary or secondary language. Saying “almost everyone speaks English these days” is certainly and laughably false. More people speak Mandarin than English, and even Mandarin barely hits over a billion people speaking it (according to this wikipedia article talking about total number of speakers, not just native speakers), so yeah “almost everyone” is ignorantly false. People who primarily speak a language other than English also deserve to hear their own language in their favourite game. It’s actually amazing that Anet has been so considerate to hire 40 voice actors for player characters alone, 10 for each language as someone has pointed out, with the innumerable other voice actors that we hear across the entire GW2 world. I’m sure they’d like to have GW2 be heard in everyone’s native language but that’s not realistic, so they went with as many widely popular languages as they could support and tried to emphasise the languages they could market to the most. It’s a weak balance, but they did the best they could with the resources allocated to them.

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

As much as I’d sell my left kidney to get a new, more brooding sounding voice for my male human thief… I highly doubt that that will ever happen.

ANet has chosen a pretty good voice-acting cast for their script so far. I guess it must be pretty expensive on their time and budget to keep hiring a-list voice actors. I think it’d be sad if they got too ambitious by trying to squeeze in new voices and end up having the quality of the game go down.

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I think you are vastly underestimating how many people speak languages other than English.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think you are vastly underestimating how many people speak languages other than English.

Or vastly overestimating how many people understand spoken English well enough to enjoy a video game in English.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

yeah, take me as a voice actor! i do it for free. i also pretty much suck at it. hahaha!