[Vote]Hidden Collections - Dulfy or Discover?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

Collections Crazy here – I am wondering how many people are like me and will not look up hidden collections on Dulfy, but try to discover them themselves?

http://strawpoll.me/2562097

I rolled a new char for this, having tons of fun. I’m basically buying every item every heart has to offer. Already discovered two hidden collections, and I just only stepped foot outside my race starter map.

I know lots of people will just look it up and race themselves into exhaustion completing these things, and then will complain about bugs and whatnot. It’s a pity really because if you do not hurry anywhere – you can enjoy the feature so much more.

Anyhow, don’t know if anyone will vote, but genuinely curious. Guessing about 90% of people will look it up, if not more.

Please excuse any English language weirdness

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

unfortunately if you don’t use dulfy you will never finish those collections. the TP players use dulfy to buy up every item you will need and relist it for 100x the price. If you aren’t fast enough using dulfy then those collections will be out of reach for you.

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

unfortunately if you don’t use dulfy you will never finish those collections. the TP players use dulfy to buy up every item you will need and relist it for 100x the price. If you aren’t fast enough using dulfy then those collections will be out of reach for you.

But I don’t think so!
Because I will spend quite a bit of time trying to discover things (and I don’t have days to play the game tehe), by the time I’m at a point where I start to look at collections where I have to purchase things (something I’d be unable to make myself? I have all the crafting maxed out, so it’s the just the mats that will rise in price) – prices should be back to normal. Sure they might be higher, but it’s a good thing that more items are now in demand. Better for economy.

I really am not going to rush for anything just to save some gold, and ruin my game experience. I absolutely love the fact I have to collect all the junk items (I thought that collection would be complete for me as I have a ton of characters) – and I LOVE that it’s reset so I have to go and find each one. The feeling of accomplishment is just so much greater when you discover /make things yourself and work for them, that’s what gives me the kick.

If I rush for it now, sure I’ll have the collection, but also a big big feeling of having achieved very little.

I could compare it to dungeon running. Say Anet released a new challenging dungeon tomorrow (I know, painful topic :P). Wouldn’t you try to figure out how to beat it yourself first? That’s why people are asking for challenging content, is it not? Part of the fun is to gather your buddies and go and try to beat it yourselves.
After a while yes you might give up and look up the strategy. But looking it up right away – ruins the fun.

(edited by Gimli.9461)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

No. The people that speculate and buy up items do so before it’s listed on Dulfy. Prices for everything went up well before they were listed there. Players are already speculating on the other items currently not part of collections.

You won’t make any gold if you wait for it to be posted on Dulfy. She often relies on others so there’s normally a substantial delay that could impact on whether you could flip anything for profits.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If I have a question about one, I’ll consider looking it up. But I don’t intend to go looking for all of them on there. Much better to just stumble upon them in the game, at least for now.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Yeh! Im number two in: no, i will discover them myself.

Now seriusly, if you check the pool an the implications, thats the reason they implemented the compass and it was well implemented: i can hide it.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

If I hadn’t used Dulfy I would have wasted so much time chasing collections I would never finish, Fractals, I hate them with a white hot passion and I’ll be boiled in oil before I ever do them for a measly 3 ap.

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Just for fairness sake, OP is wrong about one thing: checking a guide is not the same as rushing for achievement.

ex. After looking up the spoon collection, I decide to take it slow because the last 3 spoons require some RNG. Have I not check the guide, I most likely will waste lots time collecting karma spoons only to get frustrated because the last 3 are gated by luck.

Some people like to be prepared, other enjoy the thrill of exploring, both are fine and not really ruining the experience.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Just for fairness sake, OP is wrong about one thing: checking a guide is not the same as rushing for achievement.

ex. After looking up the spoon collection, I decide to take it slow because the last 3 spoons require some RNG. Have I not check the guide, I most likely will waste lots time collecting karma spoons only to get frustrated because the last 3 are gated by luck.

Some people like to be prepared, other enjoy the thrill of exploring, both are fine and not really ruining the experience.

This. I will check but I won’t rush. I simply don’t want to miss something.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I haven’t looked at Duly for Diving Goggles yet, I doubt very much I’ll look for collections. However, I don’t think any less of people who do. You have to be a special kind of crazy to play games the way I do.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

I refuse to use anything that’s on that site. Stuff like that should be on the official wiki and not on a website with ads + using guides for stuff like that feels like cheating and I don’t like cheating or be rewarded for cheating.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I resent that the game makes you regret not checking guides before doing some things.

Unlocking the spoon collection without checking what needs collecting was a waste. Had I checked Dulfy, I wouldn’t have unlocked it.

The game has a terrible tendency to make online references pretty much essential. Another example would be the new ineffable inscriptions/insignias. Better not craft one until you’ve checked out what’s next in the crafting process, and the game isn’t going to tell you.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I got a bit off-topic with my response. Correcting course -
I’m going with a mix of checking Dulfy (mostly to find out how to unlock some of the collections that are refusing to unlock) and my own detective skills (running down various items until they prove too well hidden and I’m close to finishing). In that regard, though, I’m a bit ahead of the curve. I spent since May researching merchants and longer than that checking out known forge combinations. You could say I already put in my time at Dulfy and the wiki :/

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

How about aquiring items yourself, instead of buying? You know, all that stuff on TP gets there somehow, from playing the game.

HaHa, yeah like thats an acceptable way to do it. Have you seen the RNG Anet does?
Just look at the exotics that are required for certain one? Like the exotic accessories needed for Treasure Hunter. Some accounts are just that unlucky with the RNG (like mine), that trying to get the items ourselves is just pointless.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…