Vote for the worst class!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=b6hqtkxynle08vr178091

I’ve set up a survey asking a variety of questions relating to perceived class balance within the different elements of game (sPvP, WvW, PvE, etc). Please vote and be honest – I will publish my results after ~1000 votes.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I say, try to keep it running for at least 5-10k votes. Translate this question into the various EU languages as well to get more respondents. With gw2 selling into the millions, 1k (heck even 10k) isn’t really a lot.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

TheKillerAngel.3596

I have 65 responses so far, but there seem to be strong trends emerging.

TheKillerAngel.3596

Close to 200 responses now, think we can get 1000 in a day?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

With the new updates i think its a class that not realty been updated for some time.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

Be sure to post this on reddit, OP!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/

Lots of people check there as opposed to here (myself included).

Champion Hunter

TheKillerAngel.3596

Be sure to post this on reddit, OP!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/

Lots of people check there as opposed to here (myself included).

Posted it there. I don’t use reddit much but let’s see how it helps with the responses.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Also, try gw2guru forum boards. It’s a pretty populated forum i think.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

My apologies, but I honestly don’t feel like voting. However, I will say I never liked Elementalists (or any other “Mage” or “Wizard” class) much.

My favorite is the Guard (although it can get boring) and the Thief.

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Those questions are a little too broad for me. I have one of every class except thief (working on that :P) and there are ones who are great at soloing for map exploration, but terrible for DEs (and vice versa) so it’s difficult for me to pick one that’s just bad at everything.

I will say that, for me personally, it came down to Necromancer & Engineer for PvE. However, that’s also based on pre-patch experiences.

I have no idea about dungeons, WvW, or PvP, I don’t do any of them enough to say.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Warriors, hands down.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Those questions are a little too broad for me.

Me too. I think it really needs to be narrowed down quite a lot to provide useful answers.

For example, the class I find most enjoyable to play is Ranger – but I don’t find it particularly balanced at all. The class has some major issues but for various reasons I like it anyway… and that’s not a scenario the survey as worded can really account for.

Like/favourite/balanced and dislike/worst/unbalanced aren’t necessarily the same thing, but they’re kind of being conflated in the survey questions.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Ranger. If you vote for any other classes you haven’t played the game or all classes. People call warrior as the worst but its the best in pve so it cannot instantly become the worst just because they aren’t very good in pvp. Ranger can’t kill **** in pve, had two builds in pvp and now you’re left with…….. Greatsword, yay.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

TheKillerAngel.3596

800 responses now, getting closer to 1000.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Ranger. If you vote for any other classes you haven’t played the game or all classes. People call warrior as the worst but its the best in pve so it cannot instantly become the worst just because they aren’t very good in pvp. Ranger can’t kill **** in pve, had two builds in pvp and now you’re left with…….. Greatsword, yay.

And its this sort of clueless crap that is going to make any survey worthless.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

OP is the worst class.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

so what is the strongest trend so far?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

Warrior is the worst class – end of discussion.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

and its clueless people as above that will ignore how poor and laughable rangers are in pve (worst class ever? if not, its in the top 3, in any video game lolz) and all we had worth using in spvp was downgraded so much its actually funny. I bet you’re one of those who was happy about SB skill 3, 4 , 5 receiving an amazing damage boost by spectacular 14% and ignored all real nerds, im not surprised…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

zenleto.6179

and its clueless people as above that will ignore how poor and laughable rangers are in pve (worst class ever? if not, its in the top 3, in any video game lolz) and all we had worth using in spvp was downgraded so much its actually funny. I bet you’re one of those who was happy about SB skill 3, 4 , 5 receiving an amazing damage boost by spectacular 14% and ignored all real nerds, im not surprised…

No, I’m someone who plays ranger a lot and I don’t find the effectiveness of the class in PvE is any more or less different than what it was.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

No, I’m someone who plays ranger a lot and I don’t find the effectiveness of the class in PvE is any more or less different than what it was.

What was crap before is still crap now. Got you.

Well ranger does have one niche – the water field and an ice field on a relatively short CD on an non elite skill.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

zenleto.6179

Yeah I left myself open for that lol.

But its hardly as bad as people make it out to be.

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

LB Ranger in WvWvW useless unless with running the zerg. LB Ranger is easy target if you’re in small groups or solo, just from my own experience from playing my main as a ranger. Yes I did vote and I bet the results will be interesting.

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Ok OP did the survey, good luck with the results i hope it helps GW2 to some extent.

TheKillerAngel.3596

~950 votes so far, and I’d say that there while are clear picks for “worst class” in each category, some of these classes also seem to be considered strong in other areas.

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

~950 votes so far, and I’d say that there while are clear picks for “worst class” in each category, some of these classes also seem to be considered strong in other areas.

Okies Angel, now you got one more with me. Can’t wait to see the results. Watch it be like “Ranger Sucks.” XD

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

If you don’t think ranger is the worst in at least 3/5 categories then quite honestly you don’t have a clue.

No one needs a buff more than rangers but they keep getting nerfs instead.

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Ebi.8561

Ebi.8561

Definately would be the Ranger, by far the weakest and most boring class to play.

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Mesmers…no I mean warriors! warriors…sorry had a hairball in my throat for shouting For Great Justice too much. /cough

Pineapples

TheKillerAngel.3596

Over a thousand votes now. I can wait a bit or publish results now.

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

Well, you could always post the current results now, and keep it going.

Posted by: Preecha.2357

Preecha.2357

Ranger hands down overall….

Posted by: Kryptonite.9376

Kryptonite.9376

No quiz needed. Nothing else matters other than pvp, and the weakest class is warrior.

In pve, everything is viable.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Keep in mind this won’t actually point towards the actual weakest class, but merely towards the perceived weakest class. Difference.

In open world PvE they’re all fairly balanced… I mean, some are better than others, but open world PvE is so kitten easy everyone’s ok at it at least.

In dungeon’s it’s Ranger. Hands down. Brings nothing to the table other classes don’t do several times better.

In large scale WvW it’s, again, ranger. With the recent nerfs to shortbow, and longbow still requiring two master’s traits for piercing arrows and 1500 range, there’s just not that much we bring to the table that, again, other classes don’t do better. Engineers have AoE 1500 range, with higher damage, utility and less investment. Elementalists have much stronger AoE and utility by just using the staff. Warriors have a little less range without 1 trait (and 1200 with merely an adept trait), but a lot more damage. Necros are AoE condition monsters.

And none of them, none, are ball and chained to stupid kittening AI.

Worst class in small scale WvW is, again, ranger. Shortbow nerfed to kitten and pets doing even less damage means we can tank, but we can’t kill anything. To kill things we become very vulnerable ourselves. With Warriors and Necros becoming very viable, Rangers find themselves at the bottom for no reason but “kitten rangers”.

In structured PvP most classes are more or less ok now. Warrior used to be the bottom of the barrel, but with the recent changes they’re not exactly bad now. Rangers are still good, but completely pigeonholed into one spec: condition trap bunker.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

No, it’s worse because people like you are making it out to not be that bad.

Just watch a video of a warrior smashing hundred blades at a boss, look at the numbers then go back to your ranger. Look at the difference.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

zenleto.6179

Just watch a video of a warrior smashing hundred blades at a boss, look at the numbers then go back to your ranger. Look at the difference.

I don’t need to watch videos, I already have a 100 blade warrior.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I just wish my ranger didn’t suck so bad, it’s the only class I like and will play.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I put down engineer as worst for pve and wvw. wtf they got to offer to wvw? lay down healing turret so it heals people for 1 second before it gets blown up? haaha. and as pve goes, why kitten you go engineer they suck at getting around, the only good thing they good at is using grenades underwater.

if engineer had ability to repair walls or build siege x3 of effectiveness then they’d be worth a kitten in wvw, oh and repair siege with wrench.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Then why are you saying rangers aren’t that bad when you can see how much a not terrible class does in pve?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

zenleto.6179

Then why are you saying rangers aren’t that bad when you can see how much a not terrible class does in pve?

Because they’re apples and oranges. Rangers aren’t up to other classes but they are not as broken for open world pve people are thinking. And that’s what I’m talking about. See the original post I reacted to to see why I’ve reacted. One phrase in particular (though others weren’t much good either).

I don’t pvp so I have no thoughts on that matter. My guildie plays his ranger in wvw and he does alright but nothing to write home about. I’ve played ranger in most of the instanced content I’ve done and he’s pulled his weight as far as I know. Never heard otherwise.

This survey might be useful to see how a section of the player base regards the classes in the various formats but it is not beyond reason that a lot of replies to it will be based on the type of thinking that was in the post, or from opinions on poor play witnessed by players that haven’t experienced the class. Any class for that matter.

Ranger is not “terrible” in pve but its not awesome either. I’ve never said as much.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

For a lot of the PVE things I ended up selecting ranger. The reason why is because, for the most part, AoE is king in PVE. As far as rangers go, most of the things I see them do are extremely single target.

For anything in PVP other than zerg vs. zerg, I’ve selected the warrior as the worst. Right now, they’re basically a free kill on any class I play that isn’t a guardian.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Unless you’re splitting in the 3 game modes, this survey is meaningless.

Remember that Anet balance stuff basing on spvp, not on pve/wvw.

So the “worst pve (and/or wvw) class” can easily be the one getting nerfs due to spvp perfomance – cough ranger cough – or the opposite.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Im Mudbone.1437

Unless you’re splitting in the 3 game modes, this survey is meaningless.

Remember that Anet balance stuff basing on spvp, not on pve/wvw.

So the “worst pve (and/or wvw) class” can easily be the one getting nerfs due to spvp perfomance – cough ranger cough – or the opposite.

So, you’re saying Rangers were nerfed because they were OP in sPvP, that is ludicrous.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

So, you’re saying Rangers were nerfed because they were OP in sPvP, that is ludicrous.

Spvp cry for Beastmaster build
patch
pet dmg nerfed up to 50% in all modes

^ facts.
I take my own conclusions…

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Im Mudbone.1437

Spvp cry for Beastmaster build
patch
pet dmg nerfed up to 50% in all modes

^ facts.
I take my own conclusions…

your ‘cough’ facts ‘cough’ still didn’t answer the question posed, my ranger is lucky the ambients don’t own me AND pet. Maybe, just maybe, it’s you’re not good at sPvP, I know I’m not.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

what is this? give us the results…

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Thief in open world PvE, Warrior in sPvP, Ranger in everything else.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I have not played all classes yet

Posted by: Mathemagician.1836

Mathemagician.1836

I didn’t see any options for “forum warrior”

Hopf Bifurcation, Norn Mesmer, We Are Owl Exterminators [OWL], No Dice [DICE]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I won’t be answering as i think it would be dishonest to make claims about professions i’ve not played. I am interested in what the results will be though as it could help me make decisions about what my next profession will be (it’ll be one of the worst btw:p)