WE need to join on this one! Expansion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mel ryuzaki.1402

Mel ryuzaki.1402

I just can’t play because it lack’s “big” new content, i want to but i can’t! I love this game so i would love to see it improved. I remember when GW2 came out, i had my friend list full and all pretty much active, now only like 5 still play, plus the inactivity of all other players i don’t know. I think you have this “big gem” you can improve and get loads of money out of it and importantly give us the fun we are asking for and will pay for!
This game has no monthly-fees so betting on expansions would bring a better income for you and more fun to us! It’s time to make decisions, people are clearly unhappy and some give their opinion in hope something good happens, but most of them just leaves. We are willing to give our money for a new expansion, you have loads of feedback! You have everything you need to improve your income and GW2, like the wonderful game it can be. Players are doing their part, we need you to mutually benefit!
I think i speak for everyone! Awaiting good news, good afternoon!

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

inb4 “gem store is better for business”

Why not both?

Also, Colin Johanson has indicated that they are working on expansion-like content. They haven’t said whether or not it will be paid like a traditional expansion, but I think there are enough people expressing support for it that they should strongly consider it.

Here’s hoping, anyway.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You’ll be glad to read this post from Matthew this morning then

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/A-post-from-ArenaNet-back-in-December/first#post4031087

Hey guys,

I’m not the typical “spokesdev” around the forums, so I won’t be able to give you all the answers you are looking for about what’s next, but I’ll clarify a couple of points:

• The “usual suspects” who you would typically get answers from on this front have unquestionably been super busy getting the game out in China. A number of our devs were in China for the launch this past week, so I imagine that in addition to the hard work they put in over there to get the game launched, they’ll be returning home, getting over jet lag and catching their breath. I hope you can all understand that, and we appreciate your continued patience. We’re all as excited to share with you what’s coming next, as you are to hear it.
  • There has been, and continues to be ongoing development on projects outside of China, with the team hard at work on Living World Season 2. I can’t say anything more than that yet, other than to reiterate that we’re excited to be able to share more info on it when the time comes.
  • Come and check out the Festival of the Four Winds on Tuesday! Even if you experienced it back in July, we had a small-ish team revitalizing it to celebrate the China release, and there will be new things to do and see. :-)

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

They should completely focus on expansions. Dropping the cash-shop as that only hurts the game for many people.

Even if they would put out an expansion now they would likely get way less sales then what if they would have gotten of they did not alienate many of those people with the cash-shop focus.

And if they will continue doing that after an expansion that a possible second expansion would likely sell even worse. It’s really time for them to go back to a real B2P model throwing all the cash-shop stuff back into the game.

An expansion would be the perfect time to make that shift.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

They should completely focus on expansions. Dropping the cash-shop as that only hurts the game for many people.

Even if they would put out an expansion now they would likely get way less sales then what if they would have gotten of they did not alienate many of those people with the cash-shop focus.

And if they will continue doing that after an expansion that a possible second expansion would likely sell even worse. It’s really time for them to go back to a real B2P model throwing all the cash-shop stuff back into the game.

exapansions..with no cash up, will not bring in enough money to keep a game like this running..it’s cash shop or sub.
and I’ll take cash shop over sub any day.

OP, I don’t want an expansion, I like the short bursts of content, if I get bored, I go play a different game.
expansion just means content that players will get through in a month or too and then thy’ll start complaining and asking for more content. always more.

this at least keeps it fresh, keeps people logging in, …its a very different way of updating, and I for one prefer it.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

It’s been 20 months and I think people need to take the hint already.

They are sticking with “Living Story” instead of expansions.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

exapansions..with no cash up, will not bring in enough money to keep a game like this running..it’s cash shop or sub.

OP, I don’t want an expansion, I like the short bursts of content, if I get bored, I go play a different game.
expansion just means content that players will get through in a month or too and then thy’ll start complaining and asking for more content. always more.

this at least keeps it fresh, keeps people logging in, …its a very different way of updating, and I for one prefer it.

What content? Do you mean “Living Story”? It’s like half an hour of actual, but poorly written, pseudo content that you get zerg/grind for two weeks so you don’t miss out on skins, achievements, and other items.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I would very much prefer DLCs. The problem with expansions is that they don’t allow the developers to adjust. They take years to make, so if the community turns out to hate an aspect of what’s planned, well, tough luck.

With DLCs, you can tune in to what people like.

I’m fine with the LS concept, apart from it being temporary. Expansions happen like every 2 years and give you what, a month or 2 of actual content? So if you add all the LS actual content up, it actually might be better than an expansion, IF we can go back to play them.

Devata.6589

Who made you believe that it’s cash-shop or sub?

Most non-mmo’s work with expansions or sequels and while they have lower running cost they usually have up to 3 years in-between releases (when talking about sequels) while a B2P MMO can release an expansion every year.

Also recently released numbers seem to proof differend.

Have a look at this chart: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/151443/1q14_NCSoft.jpg

Some calculations can give an idea how much they would have earned if they went for the GW1 approach (at the beginning B2P only) by comparing the line compared to initial release over the same period.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/NcSoft-earnings-1Q-14/page/3#post4029793

While I would have say they should release an expansions every year (in GW1 they did it faster) it should have taken a little longer for the B2P model to overtake the cash-shop model in income (second expansion so 2 years after release) it does give a nice indication of how it could have worked with expansion-sales.

Oow and a good expansion can easily keep you busy for a year or longer. Temporary content only gives you the annoying feeling of ‘do it now or miss out forever’. When I play a game I want to have a good feeling not a annoying feeling. That is why I indeed also dislike sub-models who also put a timer above your head.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Devata.6589

I would very much prefer DLCs. The problem with expansions is that they don’t allow the developers to adjust. They take years to make, so if the community turns out to hate an aspect of what’s planned, well, tough luck.

I’m fine with the LS concept, apart from it being temporary. Expansions happen like every 2 years and give you what, a month or 2 of actual content? So if you add all the LS actual content up, it actually might be better than an expansion, IF we can go back to play them.

I personally don’t like DLC it always feels like a scam. But you could make a mix, sell an expansion but also sell parts of it separate. If you buy the expansion you get the whole package including all those separate DLC things.

an expansion does not have to take 2 years. One year should be enough. GW1 did it even faster but for GW2 it might indeed take a little longer. however if you focus on expansions as sale 1 year should be sufficient. You can still easily shift because the upcoming expansion is that always a year maybe max a yeah and a half away.

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

do the achievements/fractals/wvw/pvp there is your end game content

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

With the appropriate consumer demand, the United power of the consumer(us) can quite frankly force anet to do as we demand. Too bad ppl rather buy gems.

Posted by: Mel ryuzaki.1402

Mel ryuzaki.1402

With the appropriate consumer demand, the United power of the consumer(us) can quite frankly force anet to do as we demand. Too bad ppl rather buy gems.

We are here to go against the tide, we can do it.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I personally don’t like DLC it always feels like a scam. But you could make a mix, sell an expansion but also sell parts of it separate. If you buy the expansion you get the whole package including all those separate DLC things.

an expansion does not have to take 2 years. One year should be enough. GW1 did it even faster but for GW2 it might indeed take a little longer. however if you focus on expansions as sale 1 year should be sufficient. You can still easily shift because the upcoming expansion is that always a year maybe max a yeah and a half away.

I don’t really see how DLCs are a scam though. If there’s 4 DLCs in a year, you pay $10 for each of them, whch is basically what most MMOs charge. then you’re basically paying an expansion in instalments, but getting content in more frequent bits.

The problem as I was stating is that you have to get it right the first round, otherwise its basically 1/2 years of work down the drain.

For example, if Anet released an expansion, cutscenes in it probably would be still like the talking heads in your PS, and the story the quality of LS Season 1.

Devata.6589

I don’t really see how DLCs are a scam though. If there’s 4 DLCs in a year, you pay $10 for each of them, whch is basically what most MMOs charge. then you’re basically paying an expansion in instalments, but getting content in more frequent bits.

The problem as I was stating is that you have to get it right the first round, otherwise its basically 1/2 years of work down the drain.

For example, if Anet released an expansion, cutscenes in it probably would be still like the talking heads in your PS, and the story the quality of LS Season 1.

It does not have to be but if you look at what many games release as DLC it’s the sort of patches they would release for free a few years ago and something it’s obvious they on purpose left that part just out of the game so they can sell it later as DLC.

It can be done right yet personally I would still prefer expansion. And there is also the type of content that is really hard to put in DLC simply because it´s to big.

I do get your point but we are talking about a year, prefer other content next years expansion will have that. Even with smaller parts you can´t just throw away everything to go in another path because the it would be to expensive. Also for DLC´s.

A way to counter it is working on one part (of the expansion) at a time and keep in contact with the community.

(edited by Devata.6589)