Why Change Our Server Time?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused. What difference to your playing time does the Server clock displaying UTC time make? Event times do not change, only the display time used. Reset is at the same time, World Bosses are at the same time….only the clock has been changed as requested by many. Some did not care for Server time to be displayed as Pacific Time. For those that desire it, they can choose to display a Universal time, rather than a Local time. At least, that is how I understand it.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s better the way it is now. For most people it’s easier to convert Universal time to local time than doing the same with Pacific time. Especially if they are not Americans.

And like Inculpatus said, it didn’t change the times that anything happens. You can always keep it on local time if you want.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

I won’t give you an answer as to “why they did it” because it doesn’t matter. Rather, I shall give you the easy solution to navigating the change. If you’re coordinating a guild, just use this site to get the “hours from UTC” and then designate accordingly:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

I have taught you how to fish. Go fish if you want to eat.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Seeing as “Australian time” would be UTC+8 to UTC+10, I really haven’t a clue what the OP is talking about.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Isn’t UT based based on Greenwich time, in England?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Isn’t UT based based on Greenwich time, in England?

Long post short, UTC is pretty much the same as GMT for most uses (not much different), but is a more accurate successor to GMT in how it is figured. UTC is more widely used in technical and governmental communities where slight differences in time (a few seconds) really make a difference, but has pretty much replaced GMT in most areas around the world for everyday use and reference.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Shepherd.5839

Shepherd.5839

Okay just gonna say it doesn’t really make sense for the server time to be set (at least in NA) to a time zone that is not in NA. I mean its North American servers should it not be using a time zone that is actually IN North America, at least somewhere?

But hey maybe I’m just complaining because they really screwed up one of my guild’s events because we had it scheduled for server time and then they changed it without warning ahead of time. Little bit poor choice there but I suppose the actual time zone doesn’t matter TOO much just wish they had warned us ahead of time.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m confused. Why does this affect things this much? Just using my experience here:

Before the “server time” change to UTC dailies reset every day at 7pm Central time for me. That was also the same time my guild would do Saturday guild missions.

After the “server time” change to UTC dailies reset every day at 7pm Central time for me. It is also the same time my guild does Saturday guild mission.

So, I’m just not noticing any difference at all. Obviously, it might have made things confusing for those guilds who had things scheduled the day of or within a few hours of the patch Tuesday, but beyond that, there would be time to at least prepare a good chunk of people in those guilds for any change.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

This thread is a shining example of why, as a community, we can’t have anything nice.