WP fee replacement, New money sinks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Let’s discuss new ways to implement money sinks given the following premises:
- goal 1: eliminate waypoint costs
- goal 2: keep inflation under control
- requirement: keep same gold sink through other means

Who has any good ideas for new money sinks that have approximately the same effect as WP costs without being as punishing?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

do some dungeons
sell rare items from meta boss group events
do guild missions

you will not feel much hurt from the way point fees anymore.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

May I ask why?
You suggest keeping the same gold sink, so I don’t get it (first coffee of the morning)
I honestly don’t even think about waypoint costs and I never run dungeons- I am quite poor

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

do some dungeons
do guild missions

I finally reached “Golden” a couple of days ago, and WP fees still hurt.

I like the Trading Post more for a gold sink – it takes a reasonable cut directly from your real earnings. The WP fees just wipe out whatever silver you get from an event – and that’s if you make it in time. It feels too much like a penalty, and I don’t think any amount of wealth would change my opinion on that.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

to those who feel way point fees hurt:
1. do you non fractals of the mist dungeons with guild members?
2. do you do guild missions with guild members?
3. do you sell confirmed rares from meta events daily bonus chests?

1. at least 26 silvers per dungeon path completed. some boss drop silvers too.
2. 50 silvers per guild missions completed. 1.5 gold per week. bounty, challenge, rush.
3. this one varies, average 15 – 20 silvers.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

do some dungeons
do guild missions

And yet, 3s for waypoints is a lot. I try not to care, it’s an active non-care act on my part which doesn’t always work as well. Especially if I don’t want to do specific things but just roam. Those times waypoint costs are extremely punishing during a night of actual fun would push me into red numbers for the day.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Alternative: Don’t “fix” what isn’t broken.

WP costs are fine. Leave it alone.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Who has any good ideas for new money sinks that have approximately the same effect as WP costs without being as punishing?

You realize if they did this effectively, you’d be losing just as much gold on a daily basis.

Aka: Don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

If an alternative method had approximately the same effect, it will drain you of approximately the same amount of money. So if on average you lose 10s over the period of an hour due to WP, the replacement method should also cost you 10s over an hour on average. Otherwise the gold sink would be lessened

On the other hand, if “not as punishing” means “cost you less money”, you can just ask for the WP cost to be reduced. It’s simpler

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Marnick, i can’t understand why we should replace the WP sink. Can you explain your PoV?

I see it as a transportation device, much same like the bus, the cab or the the car. You always spend money for transportation, unless you go on foot. Same principles, different world (virtual in this case)…

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

If you’re a bit short on funds you can buy gems and trade them for in game money. $20 or so should cover your waypoint costs for a few months.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Alternative: Free waypoint anywhere within a map (kinda like LA), but it costs 5s to WP to another map, regardless of distance. Makes map-centric exploring less taxing on costs while still maintaining a high-enough gold sink. Then, the game will reward you for walking instead of WP-ing. For example, if you physically travel two maps in a row, you get 2s ‘exploration reward’.

The only way WP fees hurt is if you use it frequently in a day. This way, WP can be seen more as an emergency “I have to go here asap!”.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

I don’t think this is supposed to be a discussion about why you should be able to pay waypoint costs. I think he’s trying to start a discussion about what could be a less intrusive way to take gold out of the economy.

I think if they removed waypoint costs but added something like 2s onto armor repairs per exotic/ascended piece that was damaged, it would achieve a similar effect, while not discouraging people from going to the far off places to do things.

Instead of paying an extra 1-2 silver to map to a waypoint each time you die, the approximate cost is added to the armor repair next time you go to a repair station. It would encourage better team play in dungeons, not detriment people exploring the open world (as there is no real cost change to dying there) and perhaps encourage people to move around more, exploring the parts of Tyria nobody goes to.

To offset the massive uproar from WvW about this increased cost, just move the “No armor repair” from outmanned to in general in WvW. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen underlevelled’s walking around naked because their armor broke and they can’t be bothered to repair it to actually help in the groups they run with. You should be encouraging people to act heroically, not think “Well, I could stay and fight, but instead of trying to save Strucure A, I’ll just map back and avoid any chance of armor repair costs.”

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

@da sonic

Any true wvw-er doesn’t care about his armor repair costs.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I like WP-costs.

Or else I have a suggestion if you want that.

Armor wear on any damage
How does it work, well your armor will always get wear when you get hit little by little but it will never get damaged or break though it will only Damage and Break if you die as usual and having realy worn armor means it breaks easier.

How to stop this from happening?; just as salvage kit’s you have to buy “temporary repair canisters or maby polish kit’s” with 15 uses and each use repairs one worn armor.
end

Hehe, maby not :P

Also I think having WP as moneysink makes people move around more, actually having 0-cost on WP’s could make the game feel even more empty since only map-exploring players will walk the map, everyone else will just map-map-map-map more.

Edit: Fixed some Typos and a missunderstanding.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I don’t get peoples issues with WP’s. I’m someone who PvE’s exclusively and only plays dungeons or fractals on the odd occasion. I don’t work the TP and I am by no definition rich. I’ve managed to slowly accumulate 25ish Gold which is poor by most standards. WP’s aren’t an issue, I can’t imagine why you think they are when your regular looting should be paying for it with ease.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

The thing about WP is that you don’t HAVE to use them, and so you don’t HAVE to pay the fee. I’m not arguing particular situations, I’m saying that, in general, there is absolutely no need to use them.

That is not saying that they are not a bit annoying when you do use them.

However, my concern would be that if they replaced these fees with something else, they would replace it with something permanent that you HAD to use. So, instead now of spending a few silver whenever I CHOOSE to WP, I would have that silver taken away through some other means that leaves me no choice but to pay it. That, I wouldn’t want to happen, so I’d rather leave it optional.

However, you can always save the money needed to WP back to the city from any place in the world. Just hit ‘B’, go into WvW, which is free, then use the Asura Gate to take you back to Lion’s Arch. From there, free transport to any city you choose. Obviously, this only works on the return trip from wherever you last visited, but still, saving on one leg of the trip is still saving, right?