Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Correct me if I’m wrong… But people are saying that you can’t dodge with low level characters anymore. Is this ACTUALLY true?

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Rogue.7856

Rogue.7856

You can’t do jack!

GG Alts 09/09/14

Sept 09 patch, killed me and my wife’s alt experience…

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: layzoe.6035

layzoe.6035

No it is not true. I was just on a level five toon. There was a tutorial about dodging, maybe that is what unlocks it.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

No it is not true. I was just on a level five toon. There was a tutorial about dodging, maybe that is what unlocks it.

Are you kittening kidding me, they need to give you a kittening tutorial on PRESSING THE V KEY?

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

I dodged WAY before that tutorial. It’s just a tutorial, nothing more. You can dodge at level 1 if you want

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

And this is the problem. A lot of misconception. People grief because they don’t like something so they over exaggerate the truth.

Necromancer Main

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Correct me if I’m wrong… But people are saying that you can’t dodge with low level characters anymore. Is this ACTUALLY true?

Its not true. I just dodged on a level 2 character to make sure before replying.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What’s worse, you can’t even die at low levels. You can bypass the content by just dancing.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

And this is the problem. A lot of misconception. People grief because they don’t like something so they over exaggerate the truth.

It’s not over exaggerating, it’s assuming that, because being told about dodging is a level-up reward, that dodging unlocks then. Because many people think it’s silly to be dodging and doing stuff for five levels before the game goes out of its way to tell you about it.

Like how it’s silly for us to be able to participate in level 15 world boss fights, and the game gives us specific information about world bosses at level 76. It’s confusing at best, and broken if it works how it looks.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

What’s worse, you can’t even die at low levels. You can bypass the content by just dancing.

You can only not die in the starter zones. As soon as you get out into the real world, you can die just fine, even before level 5. You just have to Waypoint right away, instead of getting your downed state.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

I dodged WAY before that tutorial. It’s just a tutorial, nothing more. You can dodge at level 1 if you want

Exactly. Some comments are starting to create hysteria.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

This is incorrect, you should be able to absolutely dodge at any level. There is a lot of misinformation (and some bugs) going around about systems the game teaches you about, but are totally available from level 1 if you want to go do them. The level many of the things the new level up system tells you about doesn’t mean they are unlocked at that level, it simply exists as a reminder if you haven’t learned it by then. Feel free to dodge away! You can also go do jumping puzzles any time you want for example, the game just gives you a heads up they exist at level 21 if you haven’t found one by then, etc.

We’re also seeing a lot of bugs, and unintended functionality folks are reporting in a number of the threads on the new player experience that don’t align with what we announced the system to be. We’re working on identifying and resolving all of these issues as quickly as possible, some of the absolutely legitimate concerns folks are bringing up (like some of the bigger issues with alts) are not intended and appear to have been flagged incorrectly when they moved between development regions. Fixes incoming soon as we can identify everything.

Please continue to give feedback and suggestions, we very much appreciate it as it’s allowed us to identify a lot of not intended issues, as well as bugs.

Thanks!

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You can dodge. I did it in the initial instance while fighting Issormir. They simply removed or adjusted the enemy attacks that required you to dodge. And added in a very basic dodge tutorial.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Tulki.1458

Tulki.1458

So… what about the massively increased level gates for skills? Those weren’t listed in the patch notes and everybody is saying they were a bad idea.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

This is incorrect, you should be able to absolutely dodge at any level. There is a lot of misinformation (and some bugs) going around about systems the game teaches you about, but are totally available from level 1 if you want to go do them. The level many of the things the new level up system tells you about doesn’t mean they are unlocked at that level, it simply exists as a reminder if you haven’t learned it by then. Feel free to dodge away! You can also go do jumping puzzles any time you want for example, the game just gives you a heads up they exist at level 21 if you haven’t found one by then, etc.

We’re also seeing a lot of bugs, and unintended functionality folks are reporting in a number of the threads on the new player experience that don’t align with what we announced the system to be. We’re working on identifying and resolving all of these issues as quickly as possible, some of the absolutely legitimate concerns folks are bringing up (like some of the bigger issues with alts) are not intended and appear to have been flagged incorrectly when they moved between development regions. Fixes incoming soon as we can identify everything.

Please continue to give feedback and suggestions, we very much appreciate it as it’s allowed us to identify a lot of not intended issues, as well as bugs.

Thanks!

When you say “the bigger issues with alts”, does that mean that some of these level-based unlocks will be removed for players with higher level characters? So I won’t have to wait till level 40 to get my elite skill, or 8 to go in the water and fight salmon? Or are you referring to something else?

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Big, muscly Norn warrior.

Gets killed by salmon.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

You can dodge before the tutorial. I did so last night in the starting instance. Which begs the question, if such a critical feature of the game’s combat can be left in from the start and be adequately explained with a competency check, then why is it deemed necessary to gate us from skills until we grind them out?

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Thanks!

Thank you! Would it be possible to start an official feedback thread like after the April Feature Pack?

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Thanks!

Colin, what about these points?

Is this also working as intended?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

zenleto.6179

Thanks!

Thank you! Would it be possible to start an official feedback thread like after the April Feature Pack?

NO! not one of those! How about one where both sides come to talk?

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Are you kittening kidding me, they need to give you a kittening tutorial on PRESSING THE V KEY?

You obviously missed the Knights… And you obviously have never been in a Teq event.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I dodged a lot during the intro because there was no point in using my single weapon skill. The NPCs took care of all that.

Later I found out that was not needed, as you can’t be killed in the intro.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: OrcasWorld.3271

OrcasWorld.3271

You can also go do jumping puzzles any time you want for example, the game just gives you a heads up they exist at level 21 if you haven’t found one by then, etc.

BUT, if you want to do jumping puzzles at low levels, and you’re playing a Ranger, you can’t stow your pet to get it out of the way to see where to jump! What sort of idiocy is that?

Not being able to stow a pet until level 5 makes no sense. I hate the new gating in general, but this is the only item that fits this particular thread.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

A change made well before this patch. I think it was when the removed loot from the lv 1 area

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Big, muscly Norn warrior.

Gets killed by salmon.

A fishy affair…..three words to describe this [excuse the caps lock plz] RULES OF NATURE!!!!!

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Thanks!

I adore you Colin (really I do!), but this new leveling system is terrible. Players aren’t stupid. They don’t need hand holding. This locking/gating of things goes against the spirit of the game. It just feels like the game is very clunky and rigid for those leveling. If I was a new player I would not be pleased with this.

And on top of these disappointing changes for leveling alts, I find out that the hidden minis is not a bug, but intended? I’m so disappointed beyond words. And I’ve spent a fair amount of real money on minis in the gem shop. But what is the point when they are hidden all the time? Most of the time I play I play in large groups (I am a member of TTS). This basically means I will NEVER see my minis. Why can’t you just make culling minis a choice in options instead?

AND we have an issue with the megaservers kicking people out of maps. Only a few people got warned, the rest of us didn’t get these warnings of the map closing at all and suddenly we are kicked from the map. ;-; When a map is chosen for closing it has to stop allowing people to join in to the map. It always has to give very obvious warnings to everyone on the map constantly that the map is closing. Either that or when people join the map and it fills up again the map should be unflagged for closing. It’s all very disruptive.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Thanks!

If you saw my post in the Communcation thread, you’d know exactly how I feel about the effectiveness of the Trait feedback thread. But it would be nice if there was one thread we posted in, instead of 100+.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

zenleto.6179

Thanks!

If you saw my post in the Communcation thread, you’d know exactly how I feel about the effectiveness of the Trait feedback thread. But it would be nice if there was one thread we posted in, instead of 100+.

I was being a little facetious but yeah I know what you mean. That’s why I bumped pdavis’s feedback thread. There’s already a lot of good stuff in there (and some that isn’t..) so we didn’t need any more.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

Thanks!

You really, really need to provide better SQA internally. This smacks of an outsourced, offshored QA department that isn’t given the time, training, or attention that it needs.

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

We’re working on identifying and resolving all of these issues as quickly as possible, some of the absolutely legitimate concerns folks are bringing up (like some of the bigger issues with alts) are not intended and appear to have been flagged incorrectly when they moved between development regions. Fixes incoming soon as we can identify everything.

Thanks!

Colin, I greatly appreciate that we received a red post reply. Glad that you guys are reading our tantrums. Did you guys really intend us not to be able to unlock weapon skills on our baby toons like this?
Here’s the keys to the car son, we’ll give you tires next year!

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

This is incorrect, you should be able to absolutely dodge at any level.

Thanks!

That shouldn’t be the case, honestly. Just think about a new player that could press 1 and dodge at the same time. He would be going mad considering the decisions he would have to make. The mere thought of this decision the player has to face up to is ridiculous, isn’t (boobs) it?

Edit: lol boobs doesn’t get censored but isn’t – it gets? Like I said, it’s ridiculous.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

Wait.. You can't DODGE?!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Thanks!

Colin, what about these points?

Is this also working as intended?

They made the game even more tedious but also easier. The casual player base strikes again.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”