Why Gw2 is drifting away from me.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sammyjoe.4271

Sammyjoe.4271

In the early years of Gw2 I have never had more fun with a game. I would come home from school everyday and play until I went to bed, rinse and repeat. However when people wonder why Gw2 is maybe not doing the best it can be its for a few reasons, stupid reasons in fact.
1) WvW server merges: I have had at least 50 people from my server who have called it quits after the server merges. It totally defeats the purpose of one server working together and eliminates what that server did as one. For example, my server would do “Theme nights” and reset parties at north camp before the WvW matchup reset. All of that stuff is eliminated when you have 2 other servers with you. Server merges completely destroyed my super friendly, super close server community.
2) Condi Metas: This is all about PvP and a little of WvW roaming. Basically Anet requires you, for PvP to either run the cheese condi builds and completely destroy anyone you want, since condis have been way over buffed in the past years, or your build better kitten well be able to cure condis like no other.
This is why PvP is growing less popular, I think, every day. There’s no thrill of winning a 1v1 fight if all you do is stand there and spam some condis and call it a day, take us back to the good ol’ days when we had to make builds from scratch not just jump on the condi bandwagon since they’re godly overpowered or just go to Metabattle and get a build that will make you seem like you know what your doing.
3) Buffing then Nerfing (MOST IMPORTANT): I never was able to understand why Anet (not trying to rip on anet I love them) can’t simply make all classes even. Every big nerf patch a few classes get nerfed, and rightly so (I’m looking at you Dragonhunters and Engis) but for some reason they feel the need to buff the HELL out of other classes.
So since I’ve been playing since the November after launch I dont believe I’ve ever witnessed all classes being equal. There is always 3,4, or even 5 classes ridiculously set above the rest. Like engi, I mained a engi for the longest time rocking my awesome rifle build (I’m still salty anet about removing Synaptic Overload) back when engi was believe it or not, hard to play!
Well thats my rant, I feel some of the skill and knowledge of our classes and the game are fading since new players can throw together this overpowered condi build from Metabattle and destroy everyone. I could be wrong, give me some feedback and long live Gw2 (with changes)

Thanks to Danikat.8537 for editing my post into paragraphs which I forgot xD. Thanks!

(edited by Sammyjoe.4271)

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

GW2 had a poor quarter as we found out but that by itself doesn’t mean the game is dying.

Could you not simply have called the thread “Why I like the game less than before”. It wouldn’t be so sensationalist and it would actually cover the content much better.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

For anyone else who finds paragraphs helpful:

In the early years of Gw2 I have never had more fun with a game. I would come home from school everyday and play until I went to bed, rinse and repeat. However when people wonder why Gw2 is maybe not doing the best it can be its for a few reasons, stupid reasons in fact.

1) WvW server merges: I have had at least 50 people from my server who have called it quits after the server merges. It totally defeats the purpose of one server working together and eliminates what that server did as one. For example, my server would do “Theme nights” and reset parties at north camp before the WvW matchup reset. All of that stuff is eliminated when you have 2 other servers with you. Server merges completely destroyed my super friendly, super close server community.

2) Condi Metas: This is all about PvP and a little of WvW roaming. Basically Anet requires you, for PvP to either run the cheese condi builds and completely destroy anyone you want, since condis have been way over buffed in the past years, or your build better kitten well be able to cure condis like no other.

This is why PvP is growing less popular, I think, every day. There’s no thrill of winning a 1v1 fight if all you do is stand there and spam some condis and call it a day, take us back to the good ol’ days when we had to make builds from scratch not just jump on the condi bandwagon since they’re godly overpowered or just go to Metabattle and get a build that will make you seem like you know what your doing.

3) Buffing then Nerfing (MOST IMPORTANT): I never was able to understand why Anet (not trying to rip on anet I love them) can’t simply make all classes even. Every big nerf patch a few classes get nerfed, and rightly so (I’m looking at you Dragonhunters and Engis) but for some reason they feel the need to buff the HELL out of other classes.

So since I’ve been playing since the November after launch I dont believe I’ve ever witnessed all classes being equal. There is always 3,4, or even 5 classes ridiculously set above the rest. Like engi, I mained a engi for the longest time rocking my awesome rifle build (I’m still salty anet about removing Synaptic Overload) back when engi was believe it or not, hard to play!

Well thats my rant, I feel some of the skill and knowledge of our classes and the game are fading since new players can throw together this overpowered condi build from Metabattle and destroy everyone. I could be wrong, give me some feedback and long live Gw2 (with changes)

(I also removed the # because it was causing weird indents.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

You’re venting out on PvP/WvW. But is that the entire game? Absolutely not.

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

i will never understand why people keep talking about condi metas or condis breaking the game when there was never a point where more than 2 or 3 classes at once actually ran condi builds that werent gimmicks in pvp <_<

Bullet Punch

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

~snip~

I have never had more fun with a game. I would come home from school everyday and play until I went to bed, rinse and repeat.

~snipped wall of text~

Interesting, because that’s what I do every day when I get home from work.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

thanks Danikat.8537 for the paragraphs, you’re a lifesaver!

now that I can read it, I find myself agreeing heavily with the post. great post OP!

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

thanks Danikat.8537 for the paragraphs, you’re a lifesaver!

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Mounts?

/15char

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I have no opinion on the PvP/WvW concerns listed as I barely ever touch those parts of the game. So probably they are great points and I’m certainly not in a position to agree or disagree etc.

But I do think you should change the title to “Wanna know why Gw2 is lacking for me?” because otherwise you’re going to get a lot of people repeating the debate in a recent thread based on the quarterly earnings report as to whether or not the game is dying, which will be a serious derail of your critique of the player fighting player parts of the game.

(Possibly also this should be in either the WvW or PvP sections of the forum given that the main forum here is full of people like me that feel no suffering at all from PvP balance issues).

Posted by: jcnc.3268

jcnc.3268

So Wall of Text = Cond. OP in PvP?
Still if this true ( I don’t PvP), devs should do something about it.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

1. Buffing then Nerfing (MOST IMPORTANT): I never was able to understand why Anet (not trying to rip on anet I love them) can’t simply make all classes even. Every big nerf patch a few classes get nerfed, and rightly so (I’m looking at you Dragonhunters and Engis) but for some reason they feel the need to buff the HELL out of other classes. So since I’ve been playing since the November after launch I dont believe I’ve ever witnessed all classes being equal. There is always 3,4, or even 5 classes ridiculously set above the rest. Like engi, I mained a engi for the longest time rocking my awesome rifle build (I’m still salty anet about removing Synaptic Overload) back when engi was believe it or not, hard to play! Well thats my rant, I feel some of the skill and knowledge of our classes and the game are fading since new players can throw together this overpowered condi build from Metabattle and destroy everyone. I could be wrong, give me some feedback and long live Gw2 (with changes)

If there’s 5 classes above the rest – that’s over 50% of the classes. You’re saying about 30-55% of the classes are ’Top Tier", which is kitten good as far as balance is concerned – most Esports and competitive games are MUCH worse in that regard.

No game has all classes equal. Every patch is about tweaking the game to try and make the game not only more balanced, but also more fun (1-handed guardian symbols are really great), and functional. Everyone’s kittening about Dragonhunters right now… but honestly, they’re finally in a kitten good spot after being completely out of the meta for so long. There are all sorts of viable Guardian builds – whether its’ 1-handed Symbolic builds, Longbow trapper builds, or even more esoteric support builds. Of course, a lot of players don’t realize that there’s more than one guardian build, so they’re getting accused of being as broken as the six-weapon-set 6/6/6/6/6 builds (With max condi, power/pre/fer, toughness, vit, and healing) that plagued the Pre-HoT competitive scene.

But the developers do not control the meta -all they do is boost underperfoming classes/weapons, nerf overperforming weapons/classes, and introduce new fun things (Or remove old broken things), and then restart the whole process.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Server linking was done as a result of declining WvW population. Blaming it for WvW server population decline is putting the events out of order.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

1. Buffing then Nerfing (MOST IMPORTANT): I never was able to understand why Anet (not trying to rip on anet I love them) can’t simply make all classes even. Every big nerf patch a few classes get nerfed, and rightly so (I’m looking at you Dragonhunters and Engis) but for some reason they feel the need to buff the HELL out of other classes. So since I’ve been playing since the November after launch I dont believe I’ve ever witnessed all classes being equal. There is always 3,4, or even 5 classes ridiculously set above the rest. Like engi, I mained a engi for the longest time rocking my awesome rifle build (I’m still salty anet about removing Synaptic Overload) back when engi was believe it or not, hard to play! Well thats my rant, I feel some of the skill and knowledge of our classes and the game are fading since new players can throw together this overpowered condi build from Metabattle and destroy everyone. I could be wrong, give me some feedback and long live Gw2 (with changes)

If there’s 5 classes above the rest – that’s over 50% of the classes. You’re saying about 30-55% of the classes are ’Top Tier", which is kitten good as far as balance is concerned – most Esports and competitive games are MUCH worse in that regard.

No game has all classes equal. Every patch is about tweaking the game to try and make the game not only more balanced, but also more fun (1-handed guardian symbols are really great), and functional. Everyone’s kittening about Dragonhunters right now… but honestly, they’re finally in a kitten good spot after being completely out of the meta for so long. There are all sorts of viable Guardian builds – whether its’ 1-handed Symbolic builds, Longbow trapper builds, or even more esoteric support builds. Of course, a lot of players don’t realize that there’s more than one guardian build, so they’re getting accused of being as broken as the six-weapon-set 6/6/6/6/6 builds (With max condi, power/pre/fer, toughness, vit, and healing) that plagued the Pre-HoT competitive scene.

But the developers do not control the meta -all they do is boost underperfoming classes/weapons, nerf overperforming weapons/classes, and introduce new fun things (Or remove old broken things), and then restart the whole process.

It’s possible they have more control than you give them credit for. There’s a concept called Perfect Imbalance, and it is likely being applied to GW2.

Here’s Extra Credits vid on Perfect Imbalance, if y’all have never watched it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w

~EW

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Huh. I was in WvW last night and saw LOTS of players. In fact, since they’ve incorporated both the old and new BL maps into the current matchups, I’ve personally seen more players roaming and zerging than in many recent months. Interestingly, PvP queue times are pretty fast right now as well, suggesting a large amount of activity. HotM PvP Lobby is practically always full of players, too. I see neither a lack of players nor death of the game.

Subjective opinions are intriguing, no?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Shouldn’t this thread be retitled to “Wanna know why WvW/PvP is dying/lacking?” or something like that? The OP never mentions PvE and PvE’s population has always been tremendously larger than PvP/WvW.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

it may as well be. uninspiring is but one word i would use for this game’s pve.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

So Wall of Text = Cond. OP in PvP?
Still if this true ( I don’t PvP), devs should do something about it.

Ha, projoke. The developers have ignored the cause of strife in the PvP formats pretty much since 2013. Particularly WvW where conditions are so overpowered people can win without weapons, traits, playing one-handed, literally facerolling keyboard, etc.

sPvP it’s a bit better, but profession developers have been recently stated as having very little involvement with the PvP and WvW teams at all.

PvE has gone by fine all this time, so PvE players will make claims that the game is still healthy. Profit margins are on the decline and have been, particularly since HoT, which we all know threw class balance way out of whack. What’s not realized by most people complaining the game is fine from the PvE perspective is just how much damage the competitive formats have taken over the years from blatant negligence and poor decision-making as to what gets implemented and consequently stays in the game for extended periods of time.

GW2 had huge promise on release and was the tightest game I’ve ever played, from both gameplay and mechanics. It’s fallen hard, however, so much so that I’d rank PvP in this game less-serious than what Runescape offers just because of profession/equipment developer negligence paired with too few resources allocated to maintaining the game modes and a lack of attention to long-needed changes on the system level that were designed poorly which exacerbated stagnation.

Huh. I was in WvW last night and saw LOTS of players. In fact, since they’ve incorporated both the old and new BL maps into the current matchups, I’ve personally seen more players roaming and zerging than in many recent months. Interestingly, PvP queue times are pretty fast right now as well, suggesting a large amount of activity. HotM PvP Lobby is practically always full of players, too. I see neither a lack of players nor death of the game.

Subjective opinions are intriguing, no?

They effectively cut the number of servers in half since HoT. I can tell you confidently still that numbers are way down. It’s just the appearance that it’s not. Recall the effect of megaservers on open-world PvE fullness. That’s effectively what they’ve done.

They’ve also changed sPvP matchmaking to be faster because queue times were previously too long when looking for balanced matchups. It’s also mid-season.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

It’s possible they have more control than you give them credit for. There’s a concept called Perfect Imbalance, and it is likely being applied to GW2.

Here’s Extra Credits vid on Perfect Imbalance, if y’all have never watched it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w

~EW

I watched the video a long time ago as i follow EC. I do believe the comparison made regarding perfect imbalance was the “noob tube” from CoD.

The difference is the sheer ridiculousness of how potent the imbalance is in GW2. Unlike the CoD example where perfect imbalance is created to give newer or less-skilled players enough potency in a typical game to keep them just successful enough to maintain interest, the imbalance in GW2 is on the mathematical and optimal levels, particularly in WvW; the easiest, cheesiest builds (prety much every condition build) maintain to be the most effective regardless of skill tier. That’s the definition of overpowered, and is something ANet has failed to even come close to addressing for years.

Not to mention the state of HoT powercreep is so awful it’s not even remotely arguable they went for perfect imbalance but just have no idea what they’re doing or wanted to try and powercreep-sell the expansion that did poorly.

Abelisk.4527

That’s subjective. I, for one, love GW2’s PvE.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

It may not be for you but for others it is. The unfortunate part is all 3 modes have impact on each other for example – skills – a skill that is buffed for pve can directly create imbalane builds in wvw/spvp, as well as a skill that is nerfed for pvp also can hit pve hard. There are also suggestions for skills in pvp that if implemented would increase a sense of balance but however, due to the lack of separtion between game modes, are tossed out becuase of percieved pve issues.

Remember how much salt was spilt from pve players when part of mapping required points in wvw

Or crying in spvp when they didn’t reach certain ranks in pvp tournys for the backpack as a result of the opponent not being an ai.

You may call him out because his view doesn’t coincide with yours but don’t forget that your personal view is equally as insignificant.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i don’t recall being able to auto attack near-end game bosses in other games and having it work.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: EriskRedLemur.7153

EriskRedLemur.7153

Agreed! Seriously, this game has better PvE than many MMOs. I can barely play SWTOR after PvE here.

Isn’t this type of thread posted in EVERY MMO that’s been out 2+ years? Seriously; if there’s one constant it’s doomsayers crying the game is dying or dead after a big update, expansion, earnings report, or for funsies.

I went through SWG and NGE, and SWTOR server merges, Vanguard, other MMOs. I played GW2 after HoT was launched. So I cannot comment on how things were pre-server merges for WvW (I play WvW). Every MMO goes through downturns and issues; then the hype returns with a new expansion/etc. and hope for better changes. GW2 is far from dead, I’ve played some dead MMOs. And the lowest quarter numbers compared a lot to newer MMOs; but larger pop than many MMOs out there if u look at their numbers. Anyways, ranting but literally every MMO forums that aren’t brand spanking new I go to I see these threads just amusing.

King Slacker, GM LXS (NA) League of Xtraordinary Slackers
THREAD INFO

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

In the early years of Gw2 I have never had more fun with a game. I would come home from school everyday and play until I went to bed, rinse and repeat. However when people wonder why Gw2 is maybe not doing the best it can be its for a few reasons, stupid reasons in fact. #1 WvW server merges: I have had at least 50 people from my server who have called it quits after the server merges. It totally defeats the purpose of one server working together and eliminates what that server did as one. For example, my server would do “Theme nights” and reset parties at north camp before the WvW matchup reset. All of that stuff is eliminated when you have 2 other servers with you. Server merges completely destroyed my super friendly, super close server community. #2 Condi Metas: This is all about PvP and a little of WvW roaming. Basically Anet requires you, for PvP to either run the cheese condi builds and completely destroy anyone you want, since condis have been way over buffed in the past years, or your build better kitten well be able to cure condis like no other. This is why PvP is growing less popular, I think, every day. There’s no thrill of winning a 1v1 fight if all you do is stand there and spam some condis and call it a day, take us back to the good ol’ days when we had to make builds from scratch not just jump on the condi bandwagon since they’re godly overpowered or just go to Metabattle and get a build that will make you seem like you know what your doing. #3 Buffing then Nerfing (MOST IMPORTANT): I never was able to understand why Anet (not trying to rip on anet I love them) can’t simply make all classes even. Every big nerf patch a few classes get nerfed, and rightly so (I’m looking at you Dragonhunters and Engis) but for some reason they feel the need to buff the HELL out of other classes. So since I’ve been playing since the November after launch I dont believe I’ve ever witnessed all classes being equal. There is always 3,4, or even 5 classes ridiculously set above the rest. Like engi, I mained a engi for the longest time rocking my awesome rifle build (I’m still salty anet about removing Synaptic Overload) back when engi was believe it or not, hard to play! Well thats my rant, I feel some of the skill and knowledge of our classes and the game are fading since new players can throw together this overpowered condi build from Metabattle and destroy everyone. I could be wrong, give me some feedback and long live Gw2 (with changes)

Ah, if only our keyboards had, say, an ENTER key. Imagine how much better life would be.

Sammyjoe.4271

Sorry about the non paragraphs! And I’m not saying the game sucks, I love the game just somethings tick me off in PvP mostly. If your a PvE player then your good! I for one LOVE the living story have been following it for awhile. I just had to vent about the PvP situation and my server/guild dying because of the mergers.

I dont necessarily think the game is dying I just think PvP and WvW are VERY lack luster right now. There needs to be balance between the godly condi’s, and I for one miss my server being our own server and doing our little traditions. Sorry I didn’t clarify earlier

(edited by Sammyjoe.4271)

Sammyjoe.4271

Hey didn’t mean to put it that way! Like I said in a recent post reply, I LOVE PvE I have two HoT legendaries so I’ve spent a lot of time there, In fact it’s the only game type I don’t have a problem with. I just think there needs to be some balance and some changes to make other game types more enjoyable

Sorry that’s not how I meant it.

Sammyjoe.4271

GW2 had a poor quarter as we found out but that by itself doesn’t mean the game is dying.

Could you not simply have called the thread “Why I like the game less than before”. It wouldn’t be so sensationalist and it would actually cover the content much better.

Thanks you’re absolutely right! I just changed it!

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Well, you could call me crazy, but I’m actually going to respond to the OPs suggestions rather than the fact he called the game dying (which may be the only reason this thread is maintaining attraction in the first place) or didn’t split split his writing into paragraphs.

1. I don’t play a lot of WvW, so you may have to take some of this with a grain of salt. However, I do know that how others responded has some truth to it in regard to why they combined servers. Although some of the larger servers may have still been populated, for some of the smallest ones, it may have been a different story. Perhaps they may start splitting servers again if WvW becomes more popular or attracts more people. However, I do know that since HoT launch, they definitely realized some of their problems and have made very, very large attempts to fix them. For example, they have had WvW votes and added new armor and tracks to WvW. I know this has helped attract more people to WvW and is perhaps the most the WvW team at Anet can do. If they split the servers again, I also believe they also need something in place to make the servers more even without making a large portion of the community upset.

2. I have to at least partially agree with you here. However, this issue has also become much, much better. You see, the problem isn’t necessary just that X% of classes were or are playing condi builds as some people have mentioned. The problem was also that at the time this type of meta forced every one to take condi removal, mostly in the form of traits. As a result, this greatly decreased the amount of viable builds in the game (which I believe is really, really, really bad, doesn’t make pvp as fun, and drastically cuts down on creativity and variety). One way they have appeared to fix this, besides simply nerfing, is by decreasing condi duration and putting some of that damage into condi damage instead. This made it so condi was slightly more “bursty” than it was before, so that condi removal wasn’t quite as vital as it was before, while at the same time condi classes could still remain viable/do damage. However, I think they really should still/should add another stat type for amulets that decreases the amount of damage condis do to you (like toughness). This would still open up build variety further so that you could take X amulet so that you don’t necessarily have to take X trait line because it has condi removal. This is a bit off topic, however I also believe that in the future they should add a stat that lets you do more breaker bar damage in pve as well. Some small balance changes may need to take place after with both some classes and bosses. However, I believe this may help give engis and thieves more distinct rolls in pve over eles and necros.

3. Balance is much, much better now than it was at the start of HoT. Although some small changes may need to be made with both buffing and nerfing, the only class that really stands out now from the rest is dragon hunters. This class may need what others would consider a little bit larger changes. Weather you call it due to perfect imbalance or not, the so called deviation from the balance range was waay to large at HoT release and I believe still is slightly with dragon hunter. Remember, at the end of the video, they stated that if new rolls are found to counter so that no nerfs are necessary than it is do to perfect imbalance while if the class is nerfed, the class was more than likely too powerful. I don’t necessarily like this way of describing it since this puts the definition of perfect imbalance directly in the hands of the devs. However, we do know that many of the classes that were considered too powerful by many in the community at the start of HoT did receive significant nerfs. Therefore, I don’t really believe that it was necessarily just planned perfect imbalance and think DH could stand to be tuned down a little in the damage department. What I would really like to see is DH damage tuned down and defense and defense given to allies slightly buffed to bring them slightly back into more of that bunker style again. If raid bosses are appropriately created, this would also help give them a more dedicated role in raids as well (protecting others, which kinda already is their roll). @ By the way, thanks for the video and I probably will try to watch the rest of the episodes now

p.s. gw2 is not dying or dead. Populations have probably been improving since the big HoT overhaul and living story.
p.s. p.s. Whoops just got your new messages about gw2 not dying

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Just a bit of game design theory.

You can’t make everything exactly equal because if everything is exactly equal, then you only have one class. The trick is to make the classes different but give choices to people so that each class has reasons to choose it.

For example, no one stealths better than a thief and for roam/trolling in Guild Wars 2 thief is pretty kitten good. I often encounter thieves that are out there just to take opportune targets and get away, for the fun of it. No one profession can do this.

Mesmers have portals and portals are useful in WvW. Always good to have a mesmer with your zerg, particularly if you have some of those golems with you.

There are professions that are good at buffing, at healing. Necro is great for marks you can use, and the survivability of high health and the extra health bar of deathshroud.

The bottom line is, I don’t think I’ve seen many professions that don’t have people complaining about them. If all 8 professions have people complaining about them, that means that everything things their profession is lacking, or another profession is OP. That’s one form of being balanced.

When you’re designing a game, you have to give people options or the game is boring. Furthermore those options have to mean something. Having one thing should be sacrificing something else.

The reason Anet can’t make everything equal is because doing so is bad game design.

On the other points, I seriously believe there are more PvE players in this game than either WvW players or SPvP players, who don’t have most of these complaints anyway.

Abelisk.4527

Sorry if I came off aggressive. I tried to sound stoic.

I suppose PvP can be the game for everybody. Still, let’s hope balance will arrive on time!

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

i will never understand why people keep talking about condi metas or condis breaking the game when there was never a point where more than 2 or 3 classes at once actually ran condi builds that werent gimmicks in pvp <_<

People get really, really offended at the idea of conditions actually being viable, and I’ve never understood why.

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

People get really, really offended at the idea of conditions actually being viable, and I’ve never understood why.

I just explained why in my paragraph above, or at least one of the major issues people have with it.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Actually you are incorrect. So in WvW where the amound of condi stacking can get ungodly high. There is no coming back from marks, mesmer confusion and torment among other things. You can easily be condi bombed by a thief and engy if you are running around in small groups. Where there is not enough time to stun break and then cleanse 4-5 condis after then do it again.

The PvP part is different because before HOT burns damage was a little out of hand by burn guardians and d/d eles. HOT comes out and season 1 was basically a wash since the it was a bunker meta. Season 2-3 have been primarily condi influenced. You had the bruiser role played by engy and the bunker role by ele. Both are here to bring support in heals and condi clears.

Every team needed a good condi mesmer. Its why Team PZ got slammed so bad, they traded a thief for there mesmer. You also saw 2 sides to it where EU played condi warrior and NA stuck with the condi necro. Warrior was far superior at this point because DPS was lacking from teams. With no true DPS classes being played for big bursts.

So now in S4 you can legitimately say the meta is not condi based around but there is a huge issue with what kind of meta it is since every amulet is offensive. Actually almost all the classes are taking offensive amulets because they have to and playing the safest trait lines.

All in all condi has played a huge part of the new meta after season 1 but i can easily agree that condi isnt the reason for the PvP scene looking like it is. Obviously its much faster paced, with alot more spam and very to little room in individual build set ups or team. Testing builds or team comps is actual horrible now which has nothing to do with condi.

So you are right but your not

kdaddy.5431

Thanks to Danikat.8537 for editing my post into paragraphs which I forgot xD. Thanks!

If i can throw some stuff in there,

GW2 core was alot more about exploring and story lines. Dungeons with 3 explorable dungeons so in total 4 dungeons with 4 different story lines. Then living world with a huge amount of zerging and once again story lines.

HOT has some fun things but the maps are a bit of a chore. Not being able to do certain things unless you unlock masterys. Not being able to do raids without certain gear on certain characters. Not being able to pick up 2-3 people and go do something. I mean HOT should by definition just have pictures of zergs on the maps, raids, and events.

I just took a picture a few hours ago and this is kind of what HOT is to me. I mean when GW2 first came out people were doing dungeons like crazy, farming dungeons even more so then raids are now. But they had a fair amount of story to go with it. Now the story for HOT has been hot garbage but to add in all the missed steps in PvP and WvW. Its gonna be hard for any long time players of GW2 to sit threw this.

Attachments:

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Wvw servers were linked not merged, the links change every two months, some servers like the t1 servers may gain or lose a link server depending on their population growth or decline, others t2 and below will probably always have links to them now. There’s nothing stopping your server from running theme nights and reset parties, in fact with the two other servers you have more players to partake in them.

Your server community is still there, it’s not like they got split and put on another server, the real problem here is your server has most likely lost players over the past year, there’s probably a lot less logging into server team speak and forums much less gw2. Players are losing interest in wvw and gw2, lots of reason for that, all of which, and the rest of your post has been discussed in the wvw section of the forums for some time now.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

GW2 core was alot more about exploring and story lines. Dungeons with 3 explorable dungeons so in total 4 dungeons with 4 different story lines. Then living world with a huge amount of zerging and once again story lines.

HOT has some fun things but the maps are a bit of a chore. Not being able to do certain things unless you unlock masterys. Not being able to do raids without certain gear on certain characters. Not being able to pick up 2-3 people and go do something. I mean HOT should by definition just have pictures of zergs on the maps, raids, and events.

I just took a picture a few hours ago and this is kind of what HOT is to me. I mean when GW2 first came out people were doing dungeons like crazy, farming dungeons even more so then raids are now. But they had a fair amount of story to go with it. Now the story for HOT has been hot garbage but to add in all the missed steps in PvP and WvW. Its gonna be hard for any long time players of GW2 to sit threw this.

You took a picture of a raid long after raids have been cleared by people. Not really indicative of anything other than raids not being as popular as you think. I don’t think raids should have ever been added to this game, but that’s another issue.

You can take two or three friends and go do stuff in HoT in the open world. How do I know? Because I do it pretty often. I’m not sure why you think you can’t do that.

Edit: Btw there’s a ton of story in HoT. Not just in the instances but the zones. The HoT zones are filled with stories.

kdaddy.5431

You took a picture of a raid long after raids have been cleared by people. Not really indicative of anything other than raids not being as popular as you think. I don’t think raids should have ever been added to this game, but that’s another issue.

You can take two or three friends and go do stuff in HoT in the open world. How do I know? Because I do it pretty often. I’m not sure why you think you can’t do that.

Edit: Btw there’s a ton of story in HoT. Not just in the instances but the zones. The HoT zones are filled with stories.

So when the LFG has a million people looking for a group and actual groups need none, that isnt a problem? Just some food for thought, as a guild leader when ever we brought people into our guild and they wanted to try fractals or dungeons we could. With the 2-3 people i was alluding too, we can not do that anymore since most people want to raid.

Now of course you can explore HOT with 2-3 people but you cant raid, kill the event bosses or do meta events. If you didnt want to do world bosses in GW2 core you didnt have too. HOT events are kind of based on the zergs getting things done. AB-TD meta events are lane events. Seriously put it all together.

Now you want to talk about the story and compare the 2? Ok GW2 core is about getting Destiny Edge back together after a failed attempt at a dragon resulting in the death of 2 important people. Which now splits off into a million different storys which leads you into facing Zhaitan.

In the HOT story it pins Sylvari and the jungle against you. You the commander keeping a watchful eye on sylvari. (even if you are one) The constant this team is better then destinys edge even though it hasnt done anything yet. The mordermoth has a weakness we just have to find it story line, which you never do. It takes a dying Pact Leader to guide you (which by the way you never check on the pale tree) and to top it all off.

This great story of HOT is all about the glint egg. After spending the last of the living story from core GW2 and 1/4 of the HOT story chasing caithe for it. You hand it off without question to glowing floating people because they say they are the protectors of the egg. (you got to be taking a huge dump on me, something about these cheese burgers comes to mind) I seriously can not believe some of the lines that come out of the commanders mouth and friends. Rytlock says “dont worry zojja/logan this group might be better then we ever were” wtf? The first group to kill a elder dragon ever is now a after thought? You as a commander says “i cant believe how much stronger mordremoth is over Zhaitan” based on what? Tami says “i dont believe it” and you begin to say crap like we need to find that weakness. To defeat Zhaitan you brought together everyone in Tyria, (3 pacts and DE) recreated the ultimate weapon to hit Zhaitan with, got a vision from the Pale tree and planned ahead on how you were gonna fight him. At the end of it all Trahearne even says something like we lost 1/2 of the army.(gives a idea of the power of a elder dragon) With Mordremoth you simply walked up to it and fight it and win?

Now of course the maps of HOT are glorious and the story with in each map is very nice but when you want to compare dungeons/fractals with all the problems they had when it came out to raids now. Ill take dungeon and fractals. Heck in the PvP forum right now, you have threads asking for core PvP rooms and they just held a vanilla 1 vs 1 PvP tournament since the balance was literally 10X better.

I get it you wanted to point something in my comment which i accept. But back to my original point is that when GW2 core was so much better in every aspect of the game people are gonna lose interest in HOT far faster then they did in core GW2.

(edited by kdaddy.5431)