Want Improved Mini-Map

Want Improved Mini-Map

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

There is one show-stopper issue for me that still remains from Heart of Thorns. Before I will consider buying the second expansion, I need to know that it is fixed or being fixed:

The mini-map is nearly useless on extremely-multi-leveled maps such as Tangled Depths and Draconis Mons.

For example, there are somewhere between seven and nine levels in Draconis Mons, depending on how you count them. But, the map only has three tiers. And, you can’t consistently tell which of the “sub-levels” you are on.

I will only pre-purchase if an official ArenaNet (ANet) person states that an attempt has been made to correct the failings of the mini-map in zones like that.

I will only buy if player response says that either the maps are either not tier multi-leveled (as in, more than one level per in-map tier), or if there is some kind of mini-map method of telling where you are vertically.

Many ideas have been proposed. My favorite would be to use a colored tunneling system that shows what’s above and below you. Alternately, you could just show seven tiers of maps when there actually are seven tiers. But, there still needs to be a way to distinguish on which of the tiers you are currently standing. Even allowing more colors and sizes of the blue/green up/down arrows would help.

But, none of them have ever received an acknowledgement by ANet that there’s even a problem. That’s unacceptable (to me). You’re still going to get some money from me (I just bought gems a few days ago), but the long-term prospects are grim if I don’t buy the expansion (I’ll likely start to lose interest in the game if I can’t move forward with it.)

NOTE: I will be ignoring non-ANet responses that don’t agree with the above. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t post them, so ANet can take the pulse of the subject.

I will, however, respond to clarification requests, even from disagreeing posters, if the request stands in its own post.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

To call it a “show-stopper” is a touch much, but I will second the call that an upgrade to the the mapping system for multi-tiered maps should be considered in a future QoL update; especially since Verticality is here to stay.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

Thanks, Chris. I should says that I don’t have a problem with the verticality. But, there needs to be a way to tell where you are; that’s my issue.

I also agree that “show-stopper” is a hard sell. But, ANet has never responded, which means (to me) that they don’t care. So, it’s a line in the sand (for me).

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

Also, I should say: Suppose an ANet person were to say, “We think it’s an issue. We’ve targeted the first quarterly release, after PoF releases, for an attempt at a fix.”

I would pre-order within a day, and say so here.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Well they never commit to changes like that in case they are game breaking or the amount of resources (time, people, etc) doesn’t add up.

A simple acknowledgement that with increasing map complexity that this is becoming more of an issue and that they could make a better play experience by changing it; would be a great first step along with saying they will do some groundwork to check for feasibility.

New Maps, abilities, and ways to play are always good; but as the game gets older they need to remember they are building upon an older engine and if the fundamentals get too far away that people won’t care about the new stuff as much because they will have been frustrated and left.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

Agreed. And, I should say that the statement I quoted is on the extreme end, where I would immediately respond. If they have something to say that isn’t extreme, I would certainly listen and evaluate.

I really love this game. Anything that even resembles an attempt at a fix would probably get my dollars flowing again.

Perhaps I should also say that when HoT came out I had a long list of “show-stopper” issues. They’ve fixed most of them, or at least made changes to help. But, two years with only one official peep on mapping (the green/blue down/up arrows) is a long time.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

As I feared (and, unfortunately, expected), no response from ANet.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Even if they are working on improved mini maps, they aren’t going to announce it until its ready because they learned that doing that shoehorns them into a path and if something goes wrong with implamentation after the announcement and before its ready than they are just kitten outa luck. They didn’t even release all information about the next expansion.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Congratulations……. because PoF maps are looking to be more about horizontal space, with a purposefully limited use of vertical travel.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

Congratulations……. because PoF maps are looking to be more about horizontal space, with a purposefully limited use of vertical travel.

How do you know this?

I really would like to pre-order, but there’s no way I’m going to unless I know — in advance — that they have understood that this is a major problem that they need to correct. (I do not need to know that it’s fixed, just that they understand they have a problem.)

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

Even if they are working on improved mini maps, they aren’t going to announce it until its ready because they learned that doing that shoehorns them into a path and if something goes wrong with implamentation after the announcement and before its ready than they are just kitten outa luck. They didn’t even release all information about the next expansion.

I don’t need specifics. Just a general statement that admits the problem exists, and that they want to do something about it.

I (and others) have been asking here since right after HoT was released, and I haven’t heard a single word from ANet about it. Not one word. Dozens of people have quit the game in sadness due to this and other HoT issues. Most of the others have been addressed, but not this one.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable in this. I’m not asking for the moon here. I’m just asking for communication on a single subject that they have never addressed: mapping of maps that have multiple levels inside each map tier, and showing how far up or down you need to go to get somewhere (and, how to get there if you’ve been to that location before).

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m just glad we have a minimap at all, one on which I can easily see which direction I’m facing and spot gathering nodes around me. ESO doesn’t provide one; worse, it spins you 180 degrees when you consult your map, then spins you back when you close it, causing frequent moves in the wrong direction. I had to get a mod to get a mini map and even the lowest footprint one causes glitches.

Do you have a sample of how a tiered minimap would look, one that would better aid you in navigation while fitting the GW2 UI aesthetic? I cannot picture it in my mind without imagining a confusing multicolored line drawing. Each time I see a thread on it I hope someone links to a video of one in action.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

What i hate about mini map is:

I like tho zoom out a little.. but it turns into some blurred/painted map wich gives kitten details

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

After the clusterbomb that was Tangled Depths, I have desperately wanted custom mapping tools. I’ll be fine if I’m the one that has to mark “updraft here” or “start of vista path” with little symbols and arrows and dotted lines, but please make this part of the GW2 interface. I’m severely uncomfortable with the idea that the only way I can get such a useful tool is through modhacks which might get me banned.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

I’m just glad we have a minimap at all, one on which I can easily see which direction I’m facing and spot gathering nodes around me. ESO doesn’t provide one; worse, it spins you 180 degrees when you consult your map, then spins you back when you close it, causing frequent moves in the wrong direction. I had to get a mod to get a mini map and even the lowest footprint one causes glitches.

Do you have a sample of how a tiered minimap would look, one that would better aid you in navigation while fitting the GW2 UI aesthetic? I cannot picture it in my mind without imagining a confusing multicolored line drawing. Each time I see a thread on it I hope someone links to a video of one in action.

Three ways they could fix it:

First, they could have every “level” that’s on the map correspond to a “tier” on the world map. When I’m walking in Savage Rise, and I’m exactly where Kodama should be, s/he is not. S/he is just below me. If I go to the main map, there are only three tiers, despite there being between five and seven actual map levels there (depends on how you count them).

Second, they could double/triple/quadruple the up/down arrows to signify a greater depth up or down. Or, they could increase the size or even brightness (perhaps) of those arrows.

Third, they could implement the green “pathing” arrows that exist in storyline missions in cities. The AI figures out how to get somewhere and shows you the direction you should travel. NOTE: This one should only work once you’ve already been to where you are going, or after a certain time interval has passed while searching for it.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Daddicus.6128

After the clusterbomb that was Tangled Depths, I have desperately wanted custom mapping tools. I’ll be fine if I’m the one that has to mark “updraft here” or “start of vista path” with little symbols and arrows and dotted lines, but please make this part of the GW2 interface. I’m severely uncomfortable with the idea that the only way I can get such a useful tool is through modhacks which might get me banned.

GREAT ideas (except for getting banned)!

ANYTHING to make it easier to find your way around would be an improvement.

Want Improved Mini-Map

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

GREAT ideas (except for getting banned)!

ANYTHING to make it easier to find your way around would be an improvement.

There are overlays (Overwolf, TacO, etc) that can do the job, someone even made a jumping puzzle aide, but with ANet being very quiet about something being “officially okay”, I really don’t want to risk it. And the burden is on the player to make sure that some sketchy mod developer doesn’t end up willingly or unwittingly violating the ToS.

So, an in-game tool would make me thrilled.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632