Wardrobe: Not As Innovative As You Think

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MoistyLotion.8914

MoistyLotion.8914

I feel that the wardrobe system, while being an amazing concept in itself, isn’t intuitive at all. With this game based so heavily on appearances, I am deeply concerned about the game’s restrictive ways to explore new appearances (which was the whole philosophy of the wardrobe system, no?)

I will point out some of the flaws that tarnish this philosophy, followed by my suggestions; feel free to discuss.

• There are too many preview panes that restrict creativity and informed purchases.

There is a preview pane for makeover kits. There is a preview pane for previewing linked items. Now with the wardrobe system a dye + wardrobe preview pane. Three preview panes; all independent of each other. This means you would have to have a separate pane for skins and dyes you do or don’t have. Not to mention if you don’t have a makeover kit, one of the panes aren’t even available to you. It is very frustrating to preview a final look if bits and pieces of it are on 3 separate windows. If the wardrobe system was implemented for players to explore new looks with ease, it has done nothing. I am sure some of you expected this wardrobe system to relieve all frustrations when dressing up your character, but left disappointed when it didn’t change much. It’s basically a fancier UI.

My suggestion is to merge all preview panes. How it is done is up to ANet, but I should be able to completely dress up my character in preview mode (including hair, face, body) as preview mode does not affect other’s gameplay whatsoever. Of course when you click “apply” it would only apply the said skins and if you had a makeover kit in the first place. This brings me to my second point:

• “Wardrobe” is not really “wardrobe”.

All skins should be unlocked for preview. Having to refer to an online armor gallery shouldn’t be the way to look for new appearances. It’s ridiculous to be only able to preview skins that you have. It’s like if window shopping was made illegal. Making this change will only serve to improve the overall convenience of the preview system. Again, we should be able to completely craft the appearance in the preview system alone. It does not affect economy, gameplay, or anything of the like at all.

Side note: Any dual wield or back piece previewing is still kind of funky. If anything, this should be fixed immediately.

(edited by MoistyLotion.8914)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

All skins are unlocked for preview in the Wardrobe. Just visit your nearest banking facility and click the little Wardrobe doors.

You can mix and match any weapon and any armor, but it is true you can not preview dye there.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

The way Wardrobe isn’t really a wardrobe imo is the fact that you don’t have access to multiple switchable sets. I’ve played LOTRO for years and they have such a system. You pay to change the appearance of each item 1 time and then you don’t have to anymore. It goes into a wardrobe slot (outfit slot) where you can switch to that full set look at any time. You have a limited number of outfits in your wardrobe and you can add more by buying more slots.

That’s actually what I was expecting when I heard the term Wardrobe. What we’ve ended up with however is more along the lines of WoW’s Transmogrification.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Anyone who says the wardrobe is innovative hasn’t played MMOs in the past 4 years.
I haven’t even heard anyone call it innovative. It’s just nice that GW2 is closer to the current MMO standard.

Posted by: Nobody.3158

Nobody.3158

This is actually a problem in multiple areas and there’s a lot of design decisions that were added on top of existing design decisions. For example, we have an achievement pane that gives us earned reward items. This could have been used to give us other stuff as well such as the hotm portal stones or maybe even the earned hotm skins. The opposite could have also worked. There is just so many small things that have slipped through.

In any case, I don’t see unification being done any time soon due to time/manpower as well as a rather volatile design strategy as they try and see what works and what doesn’t with the playerbase. They’d probably sell more makeover/hair kits if they did so maybe that could convince them to at least work on that part.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Once you unlock the HoM skins, you never have to visit the HoM again. That’s a great improvement. =)

MoistyLotion.8914

It’s innovative to me because for some odd reason, I care more about appearances in this game than any other that I’ve played so far. It really is a breath of fresh air from the old system.

All skins are unlocked for preview in the Wardrobe. Just visit your nearest banking facility and click the little Wardrobe doors.

You can mix and match any weapon and any armor, but it is true you can not preview dye there.

This is not what I meant. Technically, all skins, even unreleased ones, are unlocked. Just retrieve the code, and preview it. The problem is that it uses a separate preview window than the new and improved wardrobe previewing system. As mentioned elsewhere, you cannot preview dyes like this, and there is no way to merge changes across multiple preview panes. It was not what I expected from the wardrobe system when I first saw the release video.

Again, we should be able to preview the final changes of a character before spending time and coin into it. Many of us currently are, using online armor galleries and multiple preview panels, applying dyes to your real equipment just to see what it would look like; only to close the preview and start all over by right clicking and pressing “preview”.

There is no streamline way to conveniently preview equipment.; only roundabout ways that we’re doing anyway, and that’s why it should be changed.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Just letting you use dyes in the bank wardrobe should pretty much fix all of your issues. Then you can see all armors and dyes at the same time.

Posted by: Paragon.6158

Paragon.6158

Just letting you use dyes in the bank wardrobe should pretty much fix all of your issues. Then you can see all armors and dyes at the same time.

I agree with this sentiment, giving us the ability to not only preview possible outfits but also previewing all the dyes I think would do wonders for the system as a whole. If they were also able to include the make over kit into it in a non invasive way (much like they do the bank and bag slots) I think there sales would increase and get make the whole just that much more impressive.

P. S. I’m on my phone sorry for any kitten ups.

Fortune favors the bold.

MoistyLotion.8914

Basically. The whole post in a tl;dr format would be that ANet worked hard in implementing the wardrobe system and left the old preview system in the dust.

Which is why if they allowed dyes in the bank wardrobe (which uses the preview pane), it would pretty much be made redundant as a result of the new wardrobe system. Combining these two windows in some way avoids this and solves the problem without clogging up an already clunky UI (which is an entirely different issue).

Also I added a small pet peeve.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, what your suggestion boils down to is allowing dyes to be previewed in the complete Wardrobe preview, as all gear is able to be previewed there.

Perhaps, they will add Dye to the preview in a subsequent Feature update. That would be nice, though you can sort of preview dye colors on gear by applying them to your existing gear, then previewing.

Still, all in one place would be handy. I think the Wardrobe is a great step ahead, though, somewhat like when we got Dye previews in GW1. Geez, it used to be expensive to test out dyes there before the change. =)

Posted by: Moderator.7502

Moderator.7502

Hi there,

please make sure to post your feedback about “Game Updates Wardrobe” in the dedicated main thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Wardrobe-Transmutation-Outfits/

Thank you!