Wardrobe: Revealing Male Armor/Outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tankun.3907

Tankun.3907

I’m a female player and have mostly female characters. All of which I dress up in slightly revealing attire (I’m not even ashamed). Just recently I decided I would make a male character and dress it up in tastefully revealing attire as well… only it doesn’t really exist. The outfits that do show a bit of skin are not to my taste, and the armor skins are severely lacking (It’s here I should mention I made a male mesmer, so my experience is greatly centered on Light Armor choices.) with one of the only choices being a raggity leg piece that shows a bit of leg, but is extremely ugly.

I was hoping that in the future we could get some tastefully revealing clothes for male characters (Preferably in armor skins rather than outfits, but I would take what I can get.) The main area I would like revealed more is thighs and stomach area. (Might as well throw in my preference.)

Thank you for reading.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They said (many months ago) that more revealing armor/outfits for males was being discussed.

Which I happen to think was an interesting remark. Either they don’t think that enough players want more revealing male options or there’s some sort of problem with it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Tankun.3907

They said (many months ago) that more revealing armor/outfits for males was being discussed.

It’s good to know that they are working on something like this. It’s been driving me mad every time I go to the wardrobe in the bank to try and put something together, but nothing exists (And I ended up really like my male character… Honestly I don’t know why because my female characters are way better looking haha)

Thank you for the reply. It’s good to know I have something to look forward to to better my male character’s outfit

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I’d settle for just better looking male armor, period. I only have a couple of light armor male characters (out of ~50) since there are so few good options. Thus, more female than male characters.

Tankun.3907

I’d settle for just better looking male armor, period. I only have a couple of light armor male characters (out of ~50) since there are so few good options. Thus, more female than male characters.

This is horribly true. I just want to look pretty while kicking butt.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I have one male (Sylvari) light armor. He wears an outfit because I couldn’t find any armor that I liked on him.

ANet may give it to you.

Tankun.3907

I have one male (Sylvari) light armor. He wears an outfit because I couldn’t find any armor that I liked on him.

For a while I ran around wearing various outfits because I couldn’t find anything for my male character to wear. But even then a lot of the outfits just didn’t really work for my tastes. It doesn’t help that I kind of have a small RPish thing going for him (It’s all personal though. Ive never actually RPed in this game.) so I want him to look a certain way to fit the story I have for him in my head.

Hopefully we get better armors/outfits soon

Just a flesh wound.3589

My opinion is that ANet is way too conservative on the design of armor and outfits. They’re willing to be socially, culturally adventurous by having ‘not straight’ chars and showing strong female chars but when it comes to what those chars wear, ANet draws a conservative line in the sand and most of its armor keeps to the archetypes of sexy female, covered up female and strong, covered up male.

Female armor can show skin, even large amounts of skin, but male armor mostly does not (and no, I don’t consider a few inches of skin here or there on a male shoulder or arm, which is the type of thing that most people point to as showing skin, as revealing).

The very fact that they said they are discussing the option of more revealing male armor/outfits highlights how conservative they are in this area as they feel armor that shows male skin requires discussion in a way that armor that shows female skin does not.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: GammaBreaker.9102

GammaBreaker.9102

It’s not even so much “Stupid Sexy Flanders” outfits I’d be interested in for males.

I’d like to see some high quality barbarian styles of armor. HD-textured etched leather straps and bracers, and all that kind of thing. With less area to model and texture, the items ought to have higher levels of detail.

The current male options are usually bland and rather low quality or some ridiculous A-MMO getups with spikes and flapping fabric and glows. It doesn’t bother me that some people like this, and sometimes I do, too! It just tends to be rather binary.

This isn’t to say that there are NO decent sets for males, but there are usually only a handful of armors that appeal to me for a given type.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I really love playing Sylvari characters. Especially the glow is nice. So after several female Sylvari I decided to make a male Sylvari Ranger. I couldn’t find a single chest-armor piece that allows me to watch the glow effects…
+1 for more revealing male armor skins.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The Daydreamer outfit on males should not have had pants.
And they need more highly-revealing outfits for Charr, as well.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

The Daydreamer outfit on males should not have had pants.
And they need more highly-revealing outfits for Charr, as well.

Yes! For the time I spend picking out a cool fur pattern and coloration I want to get to see it!

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

I have some male toons, human and sylvaris, light and heavy armor. In a nutshell : tons of light armors are pajamas, and tons of heavy armors are fridges. This is an absolute pity.

Moreover, specifically for sylvaris, there’s a specific unexpected distorsion of shoulder, arms and maybe leg pieces that’s a real shame considering sylvari and humans are roughly the same size… Anyway, it makes a lot of gear unusable on sylvaris because of that.

I’m all for more revealing designs, from the sexier mesmer, to the barbaric warrior ! That note about the wasted sylvari glow is also true.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This bothers me too, I have a male charr, sylvari and norn and I want to be able to show off their fur patterns/bioluminescence/tattoos but it’s extremely difficult to find armour that allows you to do that.

Oddly enough heavy armour has the most revealing options for males. Medium you can just about manage 1 mostly bare arm but with light armour the most you can do is hide the mask and gloves so their face and hands are showing (and invisible shoes if you can afford them). It’s disappointing.

I don’t want anything “sexy” – a t-shirt or sleeveless vest and maybe shorts would be perfect. Just something that doesn’t totally cover the character.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Could it be that we don’t have revealing armor for males because the anatomy on the models is a little ‘off’ and they don’t want us to notice? Stray hypothesis, but now I’m curious.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Gaesesagai.9421

Gaesesagai.9421

My opinion is that ANet is way too conservative on the design of armor and outfits. They’re willing to be socially, culturally adventurous by having ‘not straight’ chars and showing strong female chars but when it comes to what those chars wear, ANet draws a conservative line in the sand and most of its armor keeps to the archetypes of sexy female, covered up female and strong, covered up male.

Female armor can show skin, even large amounts of skin, but male armor mostly does not (and no, I don’t consider a few inches of skin here or there on a male shoulder or arm, which is the type of thing that most people point to as showing skin, as revealing).

The very fact that they said they are discussing the option of more revealing male armor/outfits highlights how conservative they are in this area as they feel armor that shows male skin requires discussion in a way that armor that shows female skin does not.

Yes and let’s not go too far with how “socially progressive” ArenaNet is. They have only “not straight” FEMALE characters. Which can easily be argued as intended for straight male as well. The absolute lack of gay male characters is extremely telling about the level of open mindedness and intelectual prowess of ArenaNet.

And no, the 2 gay sylvari in one of the sylvari origin stories do not matter, especially comparing to how many lesbians in centric story relevant spots we got and they certainly do not matter after ArenaNet’s retcon of sylvari lore which makes them little more than eunucs.

The “female is sexy har har drool” and the male “needs to wear a burqa” is a common trope amongst homophobic developers or simply ignorant ones. Where does ArenaNet fall exactly is not really clear.

Funnily enough this is why I decided to stop using real cash for the game a year or so ago. At launch the trope was almost not there and I thought “yay a smart not homophobic developer finally”. Then, as outfits start pouring in, it became more and more visible. Good for them.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

there needs to be more skimpy armour in general!
simple loincloth for guys, chainmail bikini for girls!

also there are “some” skimpy-ish male armours, but not many!
my norn uses an awesome mostly topless look

Attachments:

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Yes and let’s not go too far with how “socially progressive” ArenaNet is. They have only “not straight” FEMALE characters. Which can easily be argued as intended for straight male as well. The absolute lack of gay male characters is extremely telling about the level of open mindedness and intelectual prowess of ArenaNet.

And no, the 2 gay sylvari in one of the sylvari origin stories do not matter, especially comparing to how many lesbians in centric story relevant spots we got and they certainly do not matter after ArenaNet’s retcon of sylvari lore which makes them little more than eunucs.

The “female is sexy har har drool” and the male “needs to wear a burqa” is a common trope amongst homophobic developers or simply ignorant ones. Where does ArenaNet fall exactly is not really clear.

Funnily enough this is why I decided to stop using real cash for the game a year or so ago. At launch the trope was almost not there and I thought “yay a smart not homophobic developer finally”. Then, as outfits start pouring in, it became more and more visible. Good for them.

I think you’re reading way too much into this. The fact that they haven’t included a starring gay couple yet is not proof that they’re opposed to doing so, and considering some of the male light armour skins (e.g. the Feathered set) are far from traditional conservative garb, I don’t see the evidence of stereotyping male roles in the costume design either.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I find myself in a similar situation. I’m starting to think to myself – if I still haven’t been able to finalize a look for a particular character of mine, after so many years, they’ll just have to be placed in an outfit until I can find something.

I’m finally happy with my guardian and ranger’s look, and soon, also my elementalist (with the warbringer backpiece and the balthazar outfit, and balthazar staff skin), but I still have a long way to go for my other characters, and ideally, I’d want more skimpy male armor (I even have it as my forum signature), but until then, my characters are just getting more outfits placed on them :-/

I also find myself thinking back to GW1 days about how awesome some of their armor and weapons were. Granted, sure, we could actually DYE our weapons at the same time, which helped in customizing our unique looks – something we don’t have access to in GW2 (which is still really weird if you ask me, because surely when you make a newer version of a game, you add onto what worked, not take away something that was AMAZING). I think to myself – why is it I like more of the GW1 armors than GW2?

Because they actually looked good. Most of the light armor I see in my wardrobe looks very similar, there’s hardly anything that’s skimpy – females have more skimpy armor, which is unfair and a bit anti-male if you ask me, with medium armor, all I see is trenchcoat, trenchcoat, trenchcoat. I’ve even named my engineer ‘I hate trench coats’.

Heavy armor is a little better, but I’d still like to see some epic armor – you know, stuff like tatty materials with spikes and chains, and glowy bits and stuff. I’ll include a picture below of an example. I’d also like to see a full set of ‘invisible’ armor skins (so we can hide our trenchcoats and/or show a bit of skin). Perhaps make them available through achievements or something, and make them account bound, so as to not affect the price/rarity of the invisible boots already in game (which, by the way, are pretty much near on impossible to obtain for the average person anyway, even WITH access to the treasure mushrooms).

I also found a picture from some other game – I assume… It could have just been some concept art or a random drawing someone did, I don’t know (it was on google images), that had a bit of skimpy chest going on, so I’ll include that picture too. He actually looks kind of mursaat’ish.

We need more skimpy!

Edit [24/6/2017]: I’m done suggesting things to Anet. There have been so many amazing ideas here, yet they are hardly EVER actually implemented. I feel like I’m in that same boat here, that I was with, in Runescape, where, despite all the suggestions and feedback, nothing was ever done about it.

Sure Anet listens SOMETIMES, like the chaos gloves – that’s great. What about all the other amazing ideas? You literally have years worth of content here, yet nothing is done about it. You don’t even need to hire some ideas guy – all the ideas are right here.

I’m done suggesting things Anet. I’m sorry, but I just don’t feel like you guys listen or take these suggestions seriously. It feels as though this thread is just to appease us, while ignoring all the ideas.

Good luck to those with ideas. I’m done. Goodbye forums, goodbye suggestions. I’m no longer going to waste my time here.

Attachments:

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

GW2 is the only game where I play female characters, and it’s because most of the male races have such insanely, ridiculously broad shoulders. Their armour choices also suck, so it would definitely be nice to see some variety there.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

I completely agree given how frustrating it is that Norn can’t show off their tattoos. Even the Norn light armor for males covers way too much of it up you either get a low cut v neck or part of an arm that isn’t covered.

Also would like to see more full robe options for females, it’s really difficult to make a fully robed female that isn’t in tight long robes. I would love to make characters like a female grim reaper or a sorceress with long flowing robes. Heck even a town outfit of female attire would be nice for those female characters of fiction novels I want to recreate.

This is a personal pet peeve of mine, why are Asura females hair styles so boring? No wild hair does that really pop. I have a few and it always irks me how plain their hair styles are.

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Which I happen to think was an interesting remark. Either they don’t think that enough players want more revealing male options or there’s some sort of problem with it.

Most likely a problem… due to Asura and Charr females wearing male armor… the existing reveiling male armor (which are almost all heavy armor) are quite frankly inappropriate on female Charr and Asura… they need just let female Charrand Asura wear female armors so they can make reveiling male armor freely.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Posted by: Kazeshini.6710

Kazeshini.6710

Completely agree. All of my characters are male and it’s so frustrating to see that outfits and armor skins almost always look better on females. It’s not even a matter of “doesn’t look as good”, male armor is often just straight up ugly.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

… the existing reveiling male armor (which are almost all heavy armor) are quite frankly inappropriate on female Charr and Asura…

Why?

Posted by: Ookamikun.6472

Ookamikun.6472

Medium armor doesn’t even have a male revealing armor right? I know Light and Heavy have a couple.

Posted by: Grimheart.2853

Grimheart.2853

Grimheart.2853

This bothers me too, I have a male charr, sylvari and norn and I want to be able to show off their fur patterns/bioluminescence/tattoos but it’s extremely difficult to find armour that allows you to do that.

Oddly enough heavy armour has the most revealing options for males. Medium you can just about manage 1 mostly bare arm but with light armour the most you can do is hide the mask and gloves so their face and hands are showing (and invisible shoes if you can afford them). It’s disappointing.

I don’t want anything “sexy” – a t-shirt or sleeveless vest and maybe shorts would be perfect. Just something that doesn’t totally cover the character.

Sleeveless/short sleeved/outright skimpy male armor light chestpieces include:

- Vigil vest (Sleevelss)
- Trickster Vest (Arms are covered with crude looking bandages, but shoulders are opened)
- Feathered and it’s fancy brother Flamekissed (A fairly skimpy chestpiece)
- Embroided (Short sleeved vest)
- Leystone (A fairly ugly rocky vest without sleeves)
- Forgeman (Short-to-moderate sleeves)

I’m not saying there’s a whole infinity of choises, but claiming that there’s no choises at all is not valid.

Braham’s Wolfborn outfit
Rainment of the Lich outfit
Ice Encasement Outfit
Daydreamer’s Outfit
Mursaat Outfit (A very bad example, but still something)

Add to the pile the fact that A-Net’s Social Justi… Ahem, minority pandering tendencies seem to outcompete even EA’s, I must ask a question: What kind of “conservative line” are you even talking about at this point?

If anyone goes “Hurr Durr, we are talking about armor here, not outfits, you dummy dum dum you!”, my example simply shows that the reason for lack of revealing male armor models is very likely a technical issue of simply not producing enough armors, there’s no kitten conservative agenda behind it.

Supply and demand. Do you really need that to be explained to you?

Just a flesh wound.3589

my example simply shows that the reason for lack of revealing male armor models is very likely a technical issue of simply not producing enough armors, there’s no kitten conservative agenda behind it.

There was plenty of time during when they were making all the original armor to make some of those male armors skimpy, yet they didn’t. They put almost all their effort into making skimpy armor for females and none for males. That tells you that they didn’t want skimpy male armor back then. If one sex has skimpy armor and the other doesn’t then why is that?

So the problem then is that men don’t want to have exposed skin in a video game? And why is that? What is it about exposed male skin that there isn’t a demand for it? As a female I have no problem with exposed female skin. If it’s supply and demand, why do men shy away?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

So the problem then is that men don’t want to have exposed skin in a video game? And why is that? What is it about exposed male skin that there isn’t a demand for it? As a female I have no problem with exposed female skin. If it’s supply and demand, why do men shy away?

Because men are generally valued by how successful they are and how much power they wield, rather than by physical attractiveness and approachability.
In human culture, the more skin you show the less power you have. This is why businessmen and politian’s always wear full long sleeved suits even in the middle of Florida summer.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Just a flesh wound.3589

Because men are generally valued by how successful they are and how much power they wield, rather than by physical attractiveness and approachability.
In human culture, the more skin you show the less power you have. This is why businessmen and politian’s always wear full long sleeved suits even in the middle of Florida summer.

Yep. I know that.

But this is a video game, not real life and it’s a men of all ages, cultures, education, professions, incomes. Do all these men then reject showing skin in an video game? How about other games? I could show you some pictures of extremely skimpy male armor that’s in other games.

In other words, the response above of “supply and demand” doesn’t explain skimpy male armor in other games.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I’m a female player and have mostly female characters. All of which I dress up in slightly revealing attire (I’m not even ashamed). Just recently I decided I would make a male character and dress it up in tastefully revealing attire as well… only it doesn’t really exist.

I am not a fan of what I consider a sexist policy in GW2, namely: creating too many “revealing” armor sets for female characters (so that finding ones that look good but don’t look completely unfitting for an adventurer, like seeing half of their breasts, hips, legs, or wearing high heels, is always a heavy chore), while finding some “sexier” outfits for male characters (that reveal more arm muscle, shoulders, neck, a bit of chest etc.) is impossible.

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Isn’t there a thing about revealing female armour/clothing in combat? I heard that it’s an actual thing to distract their oponent.

Back on topic. Are people wanting male armour to be revealing just for the sake of it because fenale is or do they want it as a concept/culture thing. An example would be male gladiators armour, compared to random holes in their shirts, not that I am bothered either way.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Posted by: Sarge shot Grif.6450

Sarge shot Grif.6450

One thing I’ve noticed about the human/norn/sylvari armor is that the revealing female armor is almost always not revealing on the male version. I feel like both sex options have equal revealing armor options but they’re on different skins. Like armor X may be revealing on a female but will be cover a lot on a male and vice versa.

So it might depend largely on what the player has unlocked just because one skin might be vastly different on the opposite sex.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Isn’t there a thing about revealing female armour/clothing in combat? I heard that it’s an actual thing to distract their oponent.

Back on topic. Are people wanting male armour to be revealing just for the sake of it because female is or do they want it as a concept/culture thing. An example would be male gladiators armour, compared to random holes in their shirts, not that I am bothered either way.

Speaking for myself, neither. I spent a lot of time at character creation on each of my Charrs, Sylvari and Norns picking out fur patterns, fur/skin colors, glow patterns and colors and tattoos. My female Sylvari and female Norn can show these features off but not my light armor Charr or my medium armor male Sylvari. Nor can a light/medium armor male Norn show off his tattoos, except for maybe one or two pieces of armor. Why is it these chars can’t easily show off their glow, fur patterns or tattoos in a cosmetic based game because they are male but females can do so.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

For people who still care about skimpy armor options for their male scholars while waiting for Anet to drop new armor skins next year, here are some suggestions on top of my head:

• Sleeveless Vest: Vigil’s, Leystone, Sorcerer’s (T3 Cultural)
  • Sleeveless with BDSM: Trickster’s
  • Short sleeve: Embroidered, Forgeman (SE dungeon), Wing, Conjurer’s, Primitive
  • Quarter sleeves: Aetherblade
  • Bare-chest: Feather/Flamekissed, Tribal, Incarnate, Zodiac (blue skinned)

That’s a handfull. Happy mix-and-match!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Grimheart.2853

my example simply shows that the reason for lack of revealing male armor models is very likely a technical issue of simply not producing enough armors, there’s no kitten conservative agenda behind it.

There was plenty of time during when they were making all the original armor to make some of those male armors skimpy, yet they didn’t. They put almost all their effort into making skimpy armor for females and none for males. That tells you that they didn’t want skimpy male armor back then. If one sex has skimpy armor and the other doesn’t then why is that?

So you do, in fact, need me to explain what Supply and Demand means, because what you’re talking about here makes next to no sense, when it adresses my comment, and looks like you have no idea what the subject means at all.

I’ll try to make it simple for you. The demographic in MMOs is established that way that there’s usually more people in favor of sexy girls than there is for pretty boys. That means, skimpy female appearances are more likely to be favored. There’s more demand for them. A pretty inapropriate example, but an example nonetheless would be porn industry: There is more content, directed to males, because it is the general audience for it.

The initial point, however, is that we do have fairly skimpy male appearance choises, as I already listed above. They are in the game and there’s nothing conservatively masquiline about them, pretty much the opposite. That, to me, makes all the “conservative mindset”, “sexist”/“homophobic”/“primitive” arguments, made by some people in this thread and directed at A-Net, crumble and wither at how absurd and unfunded they are. The only issue being there’s not as many of them (Look below)

make some of those male armors skimpy

They did make some of those skimpy. There’s just not as many of them as there is for females.

Though I don’t care much for any revealing armor, be it for males or females, I’m not, in fact, against adding more revealing male armors to the game, for the sake of expanding the customization options overall. GW2’s style seems to be all over the place, when it comes to character appearance, so for this game, such a thing would be appropriate, as pretty much anything else.

The only semi-relevant issue I can salvage from these somplaints is that there’s simply ‘not as many options’, which on it’s own is a valid concern, but, when combined with all these giggleworthy accusations of conservative behavior, smells of some sort of “equality of outcome” semi-communistic tumblr fueled mindset.

The game code is not made of fairy dust and rainbows, it takes time and effort, and you must’ve already seen how much time and effort it takes local designers to produce armor pieces.

Just a flesh wound.3589

So you do, in fact, need me to explain what Supply and Demand means, because what you’re talking about here makes next to no sense, when it adresses my comment, and looks like you have no idea what the subject means at all.

I’ll try to make it simple for you. The demographic in MMOs is established that way that there’s usually more people in favor of sexy girls than there is for pretty boys. That means, skimpy female appearances are more likely to be favored. There’s more demand for them. A pretty inapropriate example, but an example nonetheless would be porn industry: There is more content, directed to males, because it is the general audience for it.

The initial point, however, is that we do have fairly skimpy male appearance choises, as I already listed above. They are in the game and there’s nothing conservatively masquiline about them, pretty much the opposite. That, to me, makes all the “conservative mindset”, “sexist”/“homophobic”/“primitive” arguments, made by some people in this thread and directed at A-Net, crumble and wither at how absurd and unfunded they are. The only issue being there’s not as many of them (Look below)

They did make some of those skimpy. There’s just not as many of them as there is for females.

Though I don’t care much for any revealing armor, be it for males or females, I’m not, in fact, against adding more revealing male armors to the game, for the sake of expanding the customization options overall. GW2’s style seems to be all over the place, when it comes to character appearance, so for this game, such a thing would be appropriate, as pretty much anything else.

The only semi-relevant issue I can salvage from these somplaints is that there’s simply ‘not as many options’, which on it’s own is a valid concern, but, when combined with all these giggleworthy accusations of conservative behavior, smells of some sort of “equality of outcome” semi-communistic tumblr fueled mindset.

The game code is not made of fairy dust and rainbows, it takes time and effort, and you must’ve already seen how much time and effort it takes local designers to produce armor pieces.

It can’t be as simple as supply and demand as there are many other games, both old and new, both Western and Asian based, that have skimpy male armor. Some of those are extremely skimpy.

No offense, but I don’t think you understand supply and demand if you are trying to make it fit when there are many examples of other games with skimpy male armor. Unless of course its supply and demand to have conservative male armor in this game and supply and demand to have skimpy male armor in another game. If that’s your argument, well it’s a nicely convenient one that covers all possibilities.

ANet may give it to you.

Grimheart.2853

It can’t be as simple as supply and demand as there are many other games, both old and new, both Western and Asian based, that have skimpy male armor. Some of those are extremely skimpy.

No offense, but I don’t think you understand supply and demand if you are trying to make it fit when there are many examples of other games with skimpy male armor. Unless of course its supply and demand to have conservative male armor in this game and supply and demand to have skimpy male armor in another game. If that’s your argument, well it’s a nicely convenient one that covers all possibilities.

Different games target different audienses and have different styles and settings. Porn isn’t made exclusevily for men either. I’ve already said, GW2 has a very broadly targetted all-over-the-place style in it’s character customization.

No offense either, but from how you process and operate the information given to you by me, I can say with confidence that I understand supply and demand better than you do.

But okay, let us disregard obvious target audience aspects.

I’ve shown plenty of evidence againstyour “conservative” argument too, as well as mentioning programming and designing aspects, and referencing to the fact that we, too, have skimpy male attire in this game, even though it’s quantity is below average. All of the above you simply disregarded and ignored. May that be because you can’t respond to it?

(edited by Grimheart.2853)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Different games target different audienses and have different styles and settings. Porn isn’t made exclusevily for men either. I’ve already said, GW2 has a very broadly targetted all-over-the-place style in it’s character customization.

No offense either, but from how you process and operate the information given to you by me, I can say with confidence that I understand supply and demand better than you do.

I’ve shown plenty of evidence againstyour “conservative” argument too, as well as mentioning programming and designing aspects, and referencing to the fact that we, too, have skimpy male attire in this game, even though it’s quantity is below average. All of the above you simply disregarded and ignored. May that be because you can’t respond to it?

Supply and demand is a simple answer to a complex situation. Sure you can apply it to any situation where things are bought and sold but it’s a surface answer that doesn’t answer what drives supply and demand. It doesn’t take into account things such as culture or beliefs or, in this game, the Devs not wishing to push the envelope on what people wear.

So yes, supply and demand can cover the situation in a superficial sense but it’s not an answer that’s very deep as to why male armor is mostly conservative in this game but much more relaxed in what males wear in another game.

So thanks for your answer. It does covers all games. Unfortunately it’s too simple to be very useful as it’s what’s driving demand and supply that I was trying to discuss.

ANet may give it to you.

Grimheart.2853

Supply and demand is a simple answer to a complex situation. Sure you can apply it to any situation where things are bought and sold but it’s a surface answer that doesn’t answer what drives supply and demand. It doesn’t take into account things such as culture or beliefs or, in this game, the Devs not wishing to push the envelope on what people wear.

So yes, supply and demand can cover the situation in a superficial sense but it’s not an answer that’s very deep as to why male armor is mostly conservative in this game but much more relaxed in what males wear in another game.

So thanks for your answer. It does covers all games. Unfortunately it’s too simple to be very useful as it’s what’s driving demand and supply that I was trying to discuss.

So thanks for your answer.

You’re welcome.

It is an answer, you just can’t grasp as to why or how it is an answer.

Unfortunately it’s too simple to be very useful as it’s what’s driving demand and supply that I was trying to discuss.

It’s simple, but being simple in no way means it’s wrong.

Is isn’t useful to you because you aren’t opened to any kind of thought that differs from yours.

Your “Incredibly complicated” issue has been adressed by me in the same posts, you just keep ignoring it, likely because you can’t adress it.

You weren’t talking about what driving both the supply and demand either, you were talking about the conservative agenda of the developers, which already means that your issue has nothing to do with demand itself.

Just a flesh wound.3589

So thanks for your answer.

You’re welcome.

It is an answer, you just can’t grasp as to why or how it is an answer.

Unfortunately it’s too simple to be very useful as it’s what’s driving demand and supply that I was trying to discuss.

It’s simple, but being simple in no way means it’s wrong.

Is isn’t useful to you because you aren’t opened to any kind of thought that differs from yours.

Your “Incredibly complicated” issue has been adressed by me in the same posts, you just keep ignoring it, likely because you can’t adress it.

You weren’t talking about what driving both the supply and demand either, you were talking about the conservative agenda of the developers, which already means that your issue has nothing to do with demand itself.

The conservative agenda of the Devs would be supply, not demand, as they are supplying the armor.

Like I said, supply and demand is a good starting point, so thanks for bringing it up. However it’s what’s driving this supply and demand that’s more important to this discussion because it illuminates why one game has conservative male armor and another game has more skimpy choices. That would be culture, beliefs, etc. which is what I was trying to discuss earlier.

At any rate it’s after midnight for me, so adios, Thanks for your time and the discussion.

ANet may give it to you.

Grimheart.2853

The conservative agenda of the Devs would be supply, not demand, as they are supplying the armor.

Uhm…Good job on saying what I said… I guess?

Like I said, supply and demand is a good starting point, so thanks for bringing it up. However it’s what’s driving this supply and demand that’s more important to this discussion because it illuminates why one game has conservative male armor and another game has more skimpy choices. That would be culture, beliefs, etc. which is what I was trying to discuss earlier.

What you were trying to discuss earlier was adressed by me, and your complete disregard for that part of the conversation starts to be almost comedic at this point. What you were trying to discuss earlier concerns not the quantity of content, but the fact of the very existence of this type of content, which exists in the game, as I already presented, disproving the point of “conservative agenda”. I’ve no idea how many times I’ve told that to you, and if I should even bother to keep doing it.

Meanwhile, Supply and Demand deals with the concerns about the quantity of product.

At any rate it’s after midnight for me, so adios, Thanks for your time and the discussion.

Oh, well.

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

we need super muscly norn men schoolgirls. +1.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

this topic periodically pops up.
and still after 5 years we have what?
the tribal armor for male light wearer? and that other one that you can craft with those terrible sleeves.
then they did legendary armor and tons of outfit and all we see is the same thing female with belly out or just wearing a bra and male so bulky that i hope they don’t live in italy in summer.
and still only 1 pair of trousers with hundreds of butt capes all over the place.
i wish they would implement an option to make us chose for every piece of armor or outfit if we would like to show the male version or the female one despite the sex of our character.
or that they would all look the same (preferibly skimpy same, not bulky same)

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Oh boy, conservatives! I wondered when someone might start to talk about that! I simply could not wait for yet another tired ideological mud slinging match…

…You do realise though, that you called Arena Net of all companies conservative, right? Perhaps you ought to open your eyes and ears a little more when you play this game?

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

slings mud @nosleepdemon

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Hah hah. ^^

Back on topic. Are people wanting male armour to be revealing just for the sake of it because fenale is or do they want it as a concept/culture thing.

Both, actually.

I would like to be able to dress my Ranger in less “heavy” clothing. There is too much around the neck part etc. I already made topics on behalf of that request, this one in particular:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Rangers-need-fitting-armor/first#post6611256

Also, I find it unfitting for male Norn to have only one revealing cultural set for medium professions when their light armor sets allows a lot more showing-off of the tattoos.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

They also don’t go as far. Sleeveless male armors usually have bulky chestpieces. The Feathered chestpiece is the inverse, being stupidly large-sleeved. Tribal Vestment has too many undyable parts.

And there is not a single set of revealing medium leg armor, and only skirts for heavy.

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

… the existing reveiling male armor (which are almost all heavy armor) are quite frankly inappropriate on female Charr and Asura…

Why?

Different gender dimorphism or not, it’s innapropriate to have female characters running around with their chest completely exposed. Not to mention they took the effort to cover their chests with their underwear, which explicitly implies bare chests are not appropriate. Even worse is when you look at the Raiment of the Lich of only is the chest fully exposed but it has nipple piercings even. That is NOT appropriate female attire.

Do I find those outfits sexy? Sure, but it’s not something that I or my GF would ever wear in public. If the outfit is innapropriate for public wear, then it’s innapropriate for in game too. I don’t want to run around with my chest exposed and nipple rings. And I’m sure nearly every other female playing Asura or Charr feel the same way.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with them making skimpy male armors, I just want them to make female variants for Asura and Charr, keep them skimpy too, just make them appropriate for females.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Different gender dimorphism or not, it’s innapropriate to have female characters running around with their chest completely exposed. Not to mention they took the effort to cover their chests with their underwear, which explicitly implies bare chests are not appropriate. Even worse is when you look at the Raiment of the Lich of only is the chest fully exposed but it has nipple piercings even. That is NOT appropriate female attire.

I’ve often wondered why they did that with the charr “underwear”, as even just walking around the Black Citadel you can see female charr with partially revealed chests in their civilian clothes.

The truth is, charr females have nothing there to hide and it’s clear that their culture doesn’t expect them to act like they do. Applying human standards to them, and trying to make “female” armor fit them has given some really ugly/mortifying results.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.