Wardrobe Skinning should not be permanent

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Icethorn.6570

Icethorn.6570

The Wardrobe Tab should only be an appearance. It should not change the actual items.

For example if you want to change a weapon to look like a Zenith weapon, it should not transmute that weapon. Instead it should be a skin stored in the Wardrobe tab. The original look of that weapon should be maintained. A user should be able to quickly switch to various appearances without having to pay Transmutation Charges.

The currency is outdated and inefficient. Many other MMO’s such as SWTOR offer a way to change appearance very quickly without spending a special currency.

Posted by: Keldash.3602

Keldash.3602

Arena net does it for money.

A good player knows his limitations, a great player figures a way around them. – Cell (DBZ)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Are transmutation charges really that much of a barrier?

I’ve been playing since launch, had 4 characters on day 1, 9 now (including those 4) and I’ve deleted countless others. I’ve never paid for a transmutation charge and I currently have 92 of them.

Honestly most of the time I don’t think about them as something that costs money or might limit me, if I want to change my armour or weapon skins I do.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wouldn’t the exact same wardrobe system we have now, but without the transmutation charges do what you’re asking for? It sounds like you’re really saying is, “remove the T charges”, not “revamp the wardrobe and how things are skinned”.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Actually SWTOR’S system is all behind pay walls. You have to pay for the monthly fee + pay for that option. And dyes in SWTOR? Oh, they were 1 time use, also, behind pay walls.

You can earn Transmutation charges in game without ever having to pay real money for them. Or you can exchange gold for gems and but them from the gem store. I guess technically you can in SWTOR, if you pay the monthly fee and save up the in store currency, but you still have to pay money for that.

Oh, and incase you didn’t know, EA doesn’t except pre-paid credit cards.

I remember a time when getting the level 80 transmutation stones were almost impossible to earn in game. And before the wardrobe. I like the new system a lot better. Unless you are changing your look daily/weekly, you shouldn’t need a lot of charges.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

The currency is outdated and inefficient.

How is it outdated? How is it inefficient? That makes absolutely no sense.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The T charges are an inducement to play the game, specifically to play PvP. It’s most unlikely they’ll remove them as they’ll have to go through and update the PvP reward tracks.

If you need free T charges do your PvP dailies, in a PvE friendly daily room if you prefer, and you’ll get 2 for each reward track. Throw in some map completions to get more. I have about 50 and have never bought any.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’ve never purchased any Transmutation Charges, and I have over 150 in my wallet. I don’t even PvP, and they seem quite easy to acquire. I never worry about using them.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m sure some people use a lot more transmutation charges than others, or would like to but don’t because they’re limited-or-cost, but it’s been a long, long time since I worried about running out of them. Three-per-month (login rewards) is generally more than I use.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: gethane.1234

gethane.1234

Step 1: make new character. Step 2: run city completions. Step 3: profit with transmutation charges. Step 4: repeat.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

How long does city completion take? I hear that suggested all the time, but it sounds like a pain to me.

(It’s been a long while since I completed cities on my main, and my alts rarely bother, if ever, so I don’t have any idea how long a full runaround takes.)

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Well I never use a transmutation charges on anything that is no max level and exotic of better. that way they stack up and I can change when ever I want with charges to spare.

Just level with that you have, and use the charges on your final gear.

Just a flesh wound.3589

How long does city completion take? I hear that suggested all the time, but it sounds like a pain to me.

(It’s been a long while since I completed cities on my main, and my alts rarely bother, if ever, so I don’t have any idea how long a full runaround takes.)

I do it occasionally, usually Rata Sum or The Grove. I’ve never timed it though. 10 minutes or so per city? I think it’s less if you do it regularly and have an efficient route. I tend to do it inefficiently since I do it rarely.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: gethane.1234

gethane.1234

I think 10 minutes average, allowing for a couple mistakes. I do RataSum, The Grove, and Hoelbrak. If you are in NA I’d be happy to run you around them. You can’t make the gold needed to buy them that fast, at least I can’t

Posted by: GrandPaladinTyrux.5918

GrandPaladinTyrux.5918

So… you just don’t want to buy Transmutation Charges? They’re incredibly easy to get yourself, especially with Reward Tracks. I’d say SWTOR’s system is more outdated, the Outfit system can be clunky occasionally, and wasn’t in the game at all for quite a while, the Wardrobe is far more smooth and fluid

Grand Paladin Tyrux [RoFR]
Human Dragonhunter
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

@OP: like a lot of other people, I have to disagree. For a pay-once|play-free game, it’s a simple system that allows ANet to charge the impatient for the luxury of wardrobing while allowing veterans to reskin for free (as long as folks budget their dress-up sessions).

I think 10 minutes average, allowing for a couple mistakes. I do RataSum, The Grove, and Hoelbrak. If you are in NA I’d be happy to run you around them. You can’t make the gold needed to buy them that fast, at least I can’t

You can do BC faster now, with gliding. I don’t know if there are any guides that show the efficient route.

But whoever said “it sounds like a pain” is right — at best, it’s an hour of work to be able to completely change your look (6 armor, some weapons), if you start from scratch. On the other hand, you also earn transmute charges for all sorts of other things, so it’s hardly a major barrier for veterans.

One reason I’ve invested in Outfits is that it allows me to have some sort of hotswap skin for when I am in the middle of changing stuff around.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

I wish i could sell mine.. i have 450 transmutation charges.
I change my looks often but when you only pvp you get them too fast :d

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

They have already abandoned the whole wardrobe thing more or less thanks
to complaints about armor sets in the gemstore .. complain more and next
they also abandon weapon skins and we get outfits combined with weapons .. lol.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

A user should be able to quickly switch to various appearances without having to pay Transmutation Charges.

This.

Waaay back when they announced the wardrobe system, this is what I was expecting. It’s still pretty amazing as is, but this one, feature man. Would have made a world of difference. Outfits barely scratch the surface.

I feel like at very least ascended gear should store every skin you’ve transmuted onto it. I like to switch things up now and again, and hate losing my previous look after experimenting. Or after you transmute an individual skin once, it remains free to use forever.

Oh, and count me among the few who ‘never have enough transmutation charges’.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I’d like to see it if we could bind known skins into a single outfit stored on the outfit tab. It could cost a transmutation stone. Find the right combination and store it as a skin.

I also think they have missed out by not having separate combat, city and water armor slots that automatically change.

Just a flesh wound.3589

One thing that was suggested long ago, was a gemstore item. A permanent Transmutation stone with either unlimited charges forever or unlimited number of uses for a set period of time, such as 6 months or a year (and then you have to buy another). Of course that was just one of the many forum suggestions that is discussed for a while then slides off the front page and disappears.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m swimming in charges. I’ve got around 120, and I’ll only end up with more, seeing as I hardly use them.

Just do map completion and you’ll soon have more than enough, if you play PvP you’ll also get alot from there.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m swimming in charges. I’ve got around 120, and I’ll only end up with more, seeing as I hardly use them.

Just do map completion and you’ll soon have more than enough, if you play PvP you’ll also get alot from there.

seeing as I hardly use them.

Well, that’s sort of the thing isn’t ‘it. If you hardly use them of course you’re going to be swimming in them. However I do use them and while I’m not running out, I am using them faster than I get them. I’ve done full map completion on 8 characters and I do the PvP dailies each day. If I get much lower I’m thinking of making chars to do the cities, then delete and repeat… but boring.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Well, that’s sort of the thing isn’t ‘it. If you hardly use them of course you’re going to be swimming in them. However I do use them and while I’m not running out, I am using them faster than I get them. I’ve done full map completion on 8 characters and I do the PvP dailies each day. If I get much lower I’m thinking of making chars to do the cities, then delete and repeat… but boring.

Hence why they’re also available to purchase in the Gem Store for the fashionably inclined player. When it comes to microtransactions there’s either Pay-to-Win (which is horrible), or Pay-to-be-Pretty… Thank goodness ANet goes with the latter.

~EW

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

We’ll I don’t use them till my characters are 80. That way you don’t waste them on levelling gear. But unless your changing your look every few days I really can’t see why you are running out of then.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Just a flesh wound.3589

We’ll I don’t use them till my characters are 80. That way you don’t waste them on levelling gear. But unless your changing your look every few days I really can’t see why you are running out of then.

I have mostly level 80s, but I like to change their looks up periodically, including my mules. On average I get about 12 T charges a month, which is 2 full armor switch outs spread among my 14 characters, or one switch out of looks per char every 7 months (less frequently if I use them on weapons also). I don’t feel a switch out of looks every 7 months is too frequent in a game which has a lot of cosmetics.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Anet should be making money from stuff like this,if they not making money from fashion then they would be making them from P2W stuff like 99% of the other games with gem stores do.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I wish we had Rift’s wardrobe system (except for their dyes). Change anytime, anywhere, anything. I can even wear a 2H hammer skin on my staff and mix-n-match armor types (plate, chain, leather, cloth). I don’t think many people buy transmutation charges anyway, you can farm one in about 10 minutes by completing Rata Sum if you don’t PvP.