Watchers Hollow Jumping Puzzle - BAD

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Belenus.9132

Belenus.9132

I’m just writing in to say that in as far as I’m greatly enjoying the new Lake Doric map, I am close to experiencing a heart attack due to the amount of stress related to how hard it is to make even the most simple jumps on the Watchers Hollow Jumping Puzzle. It is particularly charr unfriendly, and frankly has completely ruined my gaming experience.

A game should be a enjoyable pursuit – not something you dread. And before the haters start commenting, I generally ace jumping puzzles, but this is one which I particularly loathe as even the opening elements of it – the rock pillars are near kitten ed impossible to reach no matter what angle you approach from. Sure, I get the first one, but the second … the third … fourth, all repeatedly failures and it becomes a real irritation when you have to go back and keep re-doing the nightmare-ish points all over again … over and over and over again.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Remind me, is this to get to the Peach Tree for that achievement and vista, or to get to Noran’s Chest? Both of them I thought were fairly straightforward, though the Peach Tree does have a few jumps that were deceiving, the pillars were farther away than they appeared at first.

Posted by: Drant.5902

Drant.5902

You can climb the rubble pile by the centaur camp huts to get to the peach tree area easily.

Belenus.9132

Shall have to try that – thank you. That JP … still trying it (and failing miserably)

UPDATE: see my next post below, have found a solution which I’m sharing.

(edited by Belenus.9132)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Check this thread, it contains a marvelous bit of info about an easy glide to make for the peach tree. No centaurs in the way.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lwd/Peach-Tree-poi/first#post6492413

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Not sure if you meant the JP where you use Noran’s key? If so, I thought that JP was fun. It had a bit of challenge, some traps to avoid, and it wasn’t overly long. Noran’s is a JP I’ll likely be doing fairly often just for fun.

Posted by: Hesione.9412

Hesione.9412

I agree that this is frustrating content. I’m not in the US and I typically have average ping of more than 200ms. Half the time the game doesn’t register I have activated my glider. Content like this should be easier to achieve – e.g. the jumps should be a bit more forgiving.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Sure, I get the first one, but the second … the third … fourth, all repeatedly failures and it becomes a real irritation when you have to go back and keep re-doing the nightmare-ish points all over again … over and over and over again.

You. don’t. have. to.
This is optional content for those who like challenging JPs. You’re obviously not one of those people. This is as silly as whining about raids being too hard. Don’t do it. And you know why? Because…

You.
Don’t.
Have.
To.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Dunno why it’s so hard for some people. I did it without even realizing it was a JP by just exploring. When I grinded out most of the other JP’s I used Youtube to see what was needed, didn’t have any need for this 1.

I too have high pings being I am in NZ and it’s always above 300. Yet I still had no problems doing this on my engi. I’m having more probs atm taking my alts through the map complete. For some reason now it’s a pain in the backside for them to get to the peach tree lol. It doesn’t help that I have “W” set as auto run for me as when you glide that does not change and can really mess things up. Especially when you have to both jump and glide forward speed like on this peach tree climb.

But I agree, it’s about time they fixed more things to be client side rather than server side like they did with the glide deploy.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

There’s an npc in this map that sells an unlimited shrinking tonic.
I think it should help if the size of your charr is a problem for jps.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Sure, I get the first one, but the second … the third … fourth, all repeatedly failures and it becomes a real irritation when you have to go back and keep re-doing the nightmare-ish points all over again … over and over and over again.

You. don’t. have. to.
This is optional content for those who like challenging JPs. You’re obviously not one of those people. This is as silly as whining about raids being too hard. Don’t do it. And you know why? Because…

You.
Don’t.
Have.
To.

Even if no one “has to do it”, clearly ANet is expecting everyone to have access to Watcher’s Hollow, otherwise it wouldn’t include:

• The source of the peach for one of the zone’s dailies (potentially the easy one)
  • A POI required for map completion.

Noran’s chest is clearly a JP; it even includes AP points for completion. The peach tree is not meant to be “optional” in the same way.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

OriOri.8724

I really don’t get why people are complaining about this. I didn’t even reallyrealize it was supposed to be a jumping puzzle to get to the peach, there are like 4 jumps tops.

Plus, if you really can’t make them, there is a spot you can glide to the peach tree ledge from while skipping the jumps. So no jumps required at all.

(edited by OriOri.8724)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I really don’t get why people are complaining about this. I didn’t even really it was supposed to be a jumping puzzle to get to the peach, there are like 4 jumps tops.

Plus, if you really can’t make them, there is a spot you can glide to the peach tree ledge from while skipping the jumps. So no jumps required at all.

Yeah. I saw it as being no different than a lot of the other vistas that require some form of jumping.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I really don’t get why people are complaining about this. I didn’t even really it was supposed to be a jumping puzzle to get to the peach, there are like 4 jumps tops.

Yeah. I saw it as being no different than a lot of the other vistas that require some form of jumping.

I find it substantially more difficult than anything outside of jumps in actual JPs. I wish it were easier even though I don’t think ANet needs to adjust it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ayrilana.1396

I find it substantially more difficult than anything outside of jumps in actual JPs. I wish it were easier even though I don’t think ANet needs to adjust it.

What part was substantially different? You jump and hold the space bar in one or two spots.

OriOri.8724

This is very strange. Are the people in this thread who are having trouble with this remembering to glide when they jump? I just went and did it again several times, trying to figure out where you could fall, but I had to try to miss these jumps if I opened my glider. If I didn’t glide though then most of them became substantially harder, with one of the jumps being impossible to make without gliding (or I assume, I haven’t found a way to do it yet without gliding/a leap skill).

Ayrilana.1396

This is very strange. Are the people in this thread who are having trouble with this remembering to glide when they jump? I just went and did it again several times, trying to figure out where you could fall, but I had to try to miss these jumps if I opened my glider. If I didn’t glide though then most of them became substantially harder, with one of the jumps being impossible to make without gliding (or I assume, I haven’t found a way to do it yet without gliding/a leap skill).

Only jump that I think could be easily missed would be that second to last one. Hardly enough to warrant it being substantially different than other jumping puzzles but then we all have different opinions on what is and isn’t difficult.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’ve gotten so used to swiftness for JPs that I find it hard to remember doing some jumps without it. Add in that some allow gliding, and that’s where Watchers Hollow had me fuming for a little bit.

The first two pillar jumps are easier with gliding, but it comes at an odd timing where one might think one needs to jump again or dismount the glider to avoid overshooting the landing. I’d end up jumping off. Swearing was plentiful, until I got the reflexes right.

Now I go there every day for the two daily chests (Peach and Unbound Magic), no problem.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Oh, if you’re referring the one where you have to get the peach, you need to open the glider at the very top of your jump, so pretty much asap.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: costepj.5120

costepj.5120

I have to chime in on the side of those who had no issue with negotiating those four little hops! I visited Lake Doric for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. Got to the Peach Tree at the first attempt and I’m very average at jumping puzzles. There’s a vista in Caledon Forest which always takes me multiple attempts – definitely harder than this one – and that’s in a starter zone.

So long and thanks for all the skritt

Posted by: Klowde.9876

Klowde.9876

If something like that jumping puzzle has “completely ruined your game experience”, I shudder to think what some of the harder jumping puzzles, like Not-So-Secret Aetherblade Jumping Puzzle will do for your gaming experience.

Jumping puzzles are really a thing you shouldn’t do when you get frustrated with them. If you find yourself frustrated try again some other time. I tried to do the mistlock observatory jumping puzzle a few days ago, got frustrated, gave up. Yesterday, I decided to attempt while waiting for a 40 farm to fill up, and got it first try.

Belenus.9132

The eventual solution was not to do it at all. Period. Instead I much enjoyed the wonderfully exhilarating run across no-Charrs-land of the centaur camp below (making sure that the stampeding centaurs were nowhere to be seen as I’m a ranger/druid) and then the claws-out-for-fury of getting behind the last tent on the extreme left of that area and climbing up the fallen debris pile with arrows pinging off of the rocks so I do not have my tail handed to me …

… then once you have navigated the slippery long stone you’re there – you’re ABOVE it all and can get the stuff that is up there before gliding down to the peach tree and anything else that is forthcoming and all without anyone using my rear end for a makeshift target. Ah, BLISS after that nightmarish ‘’jumping puzzle’‘. Fact is, if you want to end up in that ditch, go after the unbound magic because that’s the only reason its worth going anywhere near for.

And ‘’completely ruined my game experience’’ means that I expect things to be challenging, but not near downright impossible (and I have severe PTSD which such things cause to manifest) – my big Charr CHUNK is hard to shift, and this is not the only time it has proven to be an issue. But then I maintain that if you can steer a Charr you can steer anything.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I spent 45 minutes of my life I’ll never get back trying to get to that stupid Peach Tree. I gave up and logged out, I was so frustrated. I am not the best at jumping puzzles and have never enjoyed platformers. It is to my dismay to find platformer elements in an RPG game. Certainly not what I expected or wanted to see. If I quit this game, it will be because we are forced to endure jumping puzzles. They are not optional if you want map completion.

OriOri.8724

If anyone needs help to get to the peach tree for the achievement/vista, let me know when I’m playing and I’ll port you up

Posted by: Sarda.5918

Sarda.5918

I am completely mystified at the amount of people having issue with the peach tree “jumping puzzle”. Sure, it took me about 20 minutes the first time I finally found my way into the cave – but most of that time was spent trying to go directly up, until I finally bothered to walk around to the ne side and just climb up the real path.
There are no high-angle slopes you need to stand on, no jumps to be made around corners where you can’t see your destination, no barely survivable drops… In short, there is nothing there to indicate it was supposed to be difficult in the slightest. Hell, running up through the centaur camp (what most of you are suggesting) is far more difficult for most classes and certainly any player not capable of making the jumps asked for inside the cave.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I’m rather confused myself. This isn’t even a jumping puzzle. It’s just a standard map area with a POI. Lots of POIs across the game require a couple of jumps to get to and lots are far more difficult than this one. The most difficult part for me was just finding the way in as I often passed the little cave without ever noticing it. My first visit to the peach tree was flying down on it from the vista above.

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Is this the location OP is talking about? If so, this is not even a jumping puzzle. You simply glide onto the platform and that’s that.

Attachments:

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Here’s a bunch of screens showing where to glide from. Good luck.

Attachments:

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

ArchonWing.9480

Druid eh?

I just uploaded this; you folks might like this method better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDtAlwkAoY&feature=youtu.be

Just going to place what I put in the description here as well. Ask if you want more help.

For those of you that don’t want to bother making the jumps to get the peach or the mastery point, you can always make your way up the centaur camp and glide down, just have enough mobility and heals (stealth is desirable!). In this case of the druid, I made use of Resounding Timbre (Shouts give regeneration), and Celestial Shadow (You go into stealth upon leaving Celestial Avatar). Signet of the hunt was probably redundant; should have put another shout in its stead.

This was hardly optimized at all. I left an offensive tree as one of my specializations (could have put in nature magic or wilderness survival). I also should have tried harder to avoid things and take my time, but I just wanted to show you don’t have to be anything near perfect to do this.

It also helps to get some gear with healing power, vitality or toughness just for this. Those unused random ascended rings or cheap rare gear will suffice. There is a lot of healing power/vitality or healing power/toughness armor that can be found at 60 silver a piece.

After that, you can go also east and glide down to get your peach.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

The second pillar on the second crossing of the stream is the problem. If your connection lags at all or you don’t maneuver just right you don’t get enough height to land on the pillar. It’s a bit to far away and high to compensate for latency.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Druid eh?

Just going to place what I put in the description here as well. Ask if you want more help.

For those of you that don’t want to bother making the jumps to get the peach or the mastery point, you can always make your way up the centaur camp and glide down, just have enough mobility and heals (stealth is desirable!). In this case of the druid, I made use of Resounding Timbre (Shouts give regeneration), and Celestial Shadow (You go into stealth upon leaving Celestial Avatar). Signet of the hunt was probably redundant; should have put another shout in its stead.

This was hardly optimized at all. I left an offensive tree as one of my specializations (could have put in nature magic or wilderness survival). I also should have tried harder to avoid things and take my time, but I just wanted to show you don’t have to be anything near perfect to do this.

It also helps to get some gear with healing power, vitality or toughness just for this. Those unused random ascended rings or cheap rare gear will suffice. There is a lot of healing power/vitality or healing power/toughness armor that can be found at 60 silver a piece.

O_o you certainly like doing things the hard way

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

The second pillar on the second crossing of the stream is the problem. If your connection lags at all or you don’t maneuver just right you don’t get enough height to land on the pillar. It’s a bit to far away and high to compensate for latency.

Use a speed boost.

ArchonWing.9480

Druid eh?

Well, considering it took me 15 minutes on that 1 pillar jump, I think it’s at least more exciting.

Thing is, the brute force method isn’t reliant on ping or any kind of accuracy; it’s really just spamming buttons— good for those like me that really lack finesse. I’m honestly glad it’s an option.

This tactic also works for most HoT maps too unless you have to fight things. :p Also, personal waypoints (alt-click) can help if you get lost.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Druid eh?

Well, considering it took me 15 minutes on that 1 pillar jump, I think it’s at least more exciting.

Thing is, the brute force method isn’t reliant on ping or any kind of accuracy; it’s really just spamming buttons— good for those like me that really lack finesse. I’m honestly glad it’s an option.

This tactic also works for most HoT maps too unless you have to fight things. :p Also, personal waypoints (alt-click) can help if you get lost.

Unless you are just running up there without activating any skill ping does matter.

ArchonWing.9480

Druid eh?

Unless you are just running up there without activating any skill ping does matter.

I said “isn’t reliant on ping”, not immune to ping. I mean it goes without saying that if you have 1000 ping and can’t activate skills then there wasn’t anything to discuss.

As long as they fire within a few seconds that’s fine. That’s more than enough time to miss a ledge if the glider doesn’t open. And there have been various complaints of the sort.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Does the glider not automatically open if you hold down spacebar (or your jump key, whichever that is) on a high ping? Or open late? That could be annoying.

Strangely I’ve never seen anyone actually push to clear the centaurs out (though they are awfully high-level). But it is definitely manageable to just run past them on certain builds – I can vouch for heal-spec druid as well, you might want stun breaks in case of accidents with the stampeders but most of the time you can just keep out of their way.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Does the glider not automatically open if you hold down spacebar (or your jump key, whichever that is) on a high ping? Or open late? That could be annoying.

Strangely I’ve never seen anyone actually push to clear the centaurs out (though they are awfully high-level). But it is definitely manageable to just run past them on certain builds – I can vouch for heal-spec druid as well, you might want stun breaks in case of accidents with the stampeders but most of the time you can just keep out of their way.

I have gone up to the POI on 6 of my chars so far the back way with little problems. Only two of them had any sort of toughness gear. So tbh I think it’s a little of knowing the map and using your class to the best of their ability to get through the handful of mobs at that last point between the back way and the poi.

If people still have trouble going in solo you should only need at least a few people or a party I would think to brute force your way through them.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?