Watching a dev play :)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Ok, so the title is creepy, but it got you here.

I would love to watch some sort of twitch.tv type of broadcast, where the devs log on some night and just play their character as they normally would. Would love to see what they do in game.. Are they running a dungeon? Are they playing some WvW on their server? Are they sitting in LA looking for an Arah group? :p Are they farming mats for a legendary?

Be kind of neat to see.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Id like to watch a dev play instead of others playing, or myself combing through the forums to pass up time at work :P

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

It would be neat, wouldnt it?
Just curious how these guys and gals spend their time in game, if it is truely like you and I. Or do they know the nooks and crannies of all the hotspots for mats and all…and don’t want to give those secrets away :p .

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: noother.2190

noother.2190

I actually had a dev play along with my guild and I a few weeks ago in Straits of Devastation doing the Balth event from the northern invasion point all the way to clearing the temple. Needless to say, I can imagine they do pretty much the same things we do when they play the game.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

This would be really nice to see.
I have never seen a Dev in game and I always just assumed that either, they play with their tags off when they just want to play, or they don’t play on EU servers.
Would be nice to see some normal day game play

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: DsoN.2794

DsoN.2794

i saw a dev once i think it was in wintersday on the first day it was fun

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Just go to FA Snips plays all the time :P and maybe I’m just lucky but I’m sitting on 7 “gm” seen in game now so seeing them live stream doesn’t seems all that entertaining.

The Sickest Guild NA

Posted by: dani.1956

dani.1956

I’d like to see a dev farming 10hours for 1 onyx lodestone 100% i wanna see that !

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Had two ANet employees in my zerg during the Karka event. It was pretty neat to see them out there playing with the rest of us, experiencing the same issues and the same glory.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

It’d be funny to watch them secretly, just to see one barking out orders and calling people noobs in dungeons using poor grammar.

“Hey I know that guy!” =P

Posted by: kevin.3584

kevin.3584

I was just thinking this! Can we make a petition for this? I’d love to see them run a dungeon.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

The good thing about a game the devs are passionate about is the fact that they may be playing with you in any party you join. Sure they may prefer anonymity but rest assured, most of the devs love this game just as much as we fanboys.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I want to see a dev play just so we can see how we are meant to be playing You know they will be playing how we should be.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I want to see a dev play against a thief in WvW with a camera on their face the whole time, now that would be entertainment.

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

if they do, you will see a party of thiefs complaining how thiefs are underpowered and needs to be buffed… twice… every month

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

I think most devs PvP? Not really sure but it would be very entertaining to see what the devs to on a day to day basis ingame.

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

I would love to party with a Dev, kill a bunch of Champions in open world, and compare drops. That would be neat!

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

I have a friend(online- he’s over in the US) who used to work as a GM for a MMO that I used to play. He had three characters- one was the all powerful God type that could spawn anything anywhere, teleport, buff people for fun in the main town so they did insane amounts of damage to the training dummies etc. The second was one that he used to test certain aspects of the game- it had the tools needed to record and take note of things but other than that it was a normal character with fairly average>good items that he spawned in. The last one was a character he played when he got home and to this day he has never let on (even to me) who he was and what guild he was in. At one point I thought I knew as this stranger started PM’ing me and sticking around but he maintained it wasnt him, just a friendly fellow in game!

Id imagine its pretty much the same in GW2 but with a little more complexity for the ‘God’ character.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: ConcernedPlum.1087

ConcernedPlum.1087

I think that would be interesting. I actually was in a zone when an art Dev asked guys to go through a puzzle with him. Sadly only I showed up and it turned out he did the arts for the entire thing. Was interesting to hear him talk about it and play through it with him.

Posted by: Kingfisher.7213

Kingfisher.7213

I want to see a dev play just so we can see how we are meant to be playing You know they will be playing how we should be.

It would be neat to play with people who made the game.

I like this game a lot and it would be cool to point things out in the game I like as we ran around Tyria.

However, I don’t know if you’d see optimal playstyles.

There was a review I came across on Guild Wars 2, back when I was deciding whether to buy it, and the reviewer mentioned he ran a dungeon with the developers.

He basically described a waypoint zergfest:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-2/1225830p1.html

“When I visited ArenaNet a couple of months ago, I had a chance to sit down with some of the developers and play through the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon that most players will get to encounter at level 30… The problem is that we were dying. A lot. We were all having fun, sure, but I realized I was with a group of people who’d played this game almost every single day for years now, and yet we could barely make it to the first boss without suffering several wipes. Eventually I (playing an Engineer at the time) just started healing everyone as best as I could, thus settling back into something resembling the traditional trinity setup.

If that’s what Guild Wars 2’s dungeons look like with the people who made them playing, then I tremble to imagine what dungeon runs will be like with the usual ragtag group of random players — especially if they’re not communicating"

Compare those gamers who are now farming explorable modes of dungeons, within months of game release, vs the developers in Ascalonian Catacombs described above (which had the benefit of designing the dungeon).

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

i saw a dev once i think it was in wintersday on the first day it was fun

A dev did the griffon tonic ‘slow-walk lika boss’ with me on wintersday. Seen a handfull in LA time to time and some randomly killing stuff in zones like Caledon Forest (my favorite zone)

Would be interesting to run into one in Spvp. If they stream they should have cam on and talk about some GW2 stuff. :P

if they do, you will see a party of thiefs complaining how thiefs are underpowered and needs to be buffed… twice… every month

All I did was make a statement of wanting more headbands cuz I was in the process of deleting an alt to make more. c.c

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Reaper.1695

Reaper.1695

Ok stupid question. How do you know it’s a dev?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

They have a red Anet logo above their head.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

They have a red Anet logo above their head.

And, if they’re not too busy or shy, they’ll chat a bit.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’ve only ever seen one dev in the game, and that was during a Beta weekend and I was trialling an asuran mesmer. At the portal to Rata Sum is a big norn with the name ‘Mike’ and the Anet logo next to it. Now instantly I see this is a dev (may well even have been Mike O’Brien, the founder) with the logo on next to the name… next thing I know he goes to sleep near the portal where he spawned into the area. I start jumping on him.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”