Water walking suggestion

Water walking suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZanchinFissure.7981

ZanchinFissure.7981

I’m sure the vast amount of the player base dislikes the water because of many reasons. One of the major reasons why I dislike it is because you lose half of your utilities, but that’s besides the point.

Water walking could be a good solution for mobility when treading across water. I’m not sure the best way to implement it, but there’s a few ways you could. I was thinking a potion with different strengths that work as a utility consumable that could be purchased in each racial city, or foods made with 400 cooking could also produce the effect. Just an idea.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

Why not just have our people fly too, those hills are pesky and mess with our camera

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

As much as players may dislike underwater combat, I doubt Anet wants to give the ability to completely negate it.

Water walking suggestion

Zev.3407

As much as players may dislike underwater combat, I doubt Anet wants to give the ability to completely negate it.

There’s still players who love underwater combat and would like more content for it, and for it to be reworked so more people can enjoy it again. The vocal majority may have said their distaste for it, but vocal majority isnt always majority. plus if reworked people who think they don’t like it might actually enjoy it.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m actually not sure this would be useful. If you just want to cross a body of water to get from point A to point B, it’s (usually) very easy to just plow through it without stopping to fight.

If you’re in a situation where you would have to fight (story missions, open world events, underwater fractal, etc.) walking on water wouldn’t do you any good.

It would be super neat to be able to walk on water, though, just because it would be cool. Not sure it would change anything, however.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Water walking suggestion

ZanchinFissure.7981

Never said anything about avoid it completely. And you if you want to fly then go play WoW or suck on more sarcastic lolipops. The idea was just so you could travel across it and even fight ontop of it. Also yeah, I would perfer if they remove the underwater completely from the game, and it’s a shame they can’t because there’s too much content in it.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

You could fight some mobs from the surface, but it seems like anything worth fighting is deeper down, or in an area blocked off from the surface.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Never said anything about avoid it completely. And you if you want to fly then go play WoW or suck on more sarcastic lolipops. The idea was just so you could travel across it and even fight ontop of it. Also yeah, I would perfer if they remove the underwater completely from the game, and it’s a shame they can’t because there’s too much content in it.

Water walking doesn’t even make sense.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Emelyn.8729

Emelyn.8729

I have to disagree 100% with you, ZanchinFissure. I’m not sure where you got your evidence that a “vast amount of the playerbase” dislikes underwater. I, for one, love the underwater bits in GW2. Of all the MMOs I’ve played, it is, hands down, my favorite underwater. It’s pretty and I find it very easy to navigate. So far, I haven’t had any trouble with underwater combat, either. And, when I’m in the mood to avoid combat, I just keep swimming. Honestly, when I swim on the surface, I’m typically never even aggro’d by mobs.

If it’s simply a matter of being able to get from Point A to Point B without combat, why not waypoint?

I’ll qualify all this by saying that I don’t do PvP or WvW. Perhaps those underwater experiences are significantly different from PvE? Is that the bit you find distasteful?

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

This isn’t a wire stunt martial arts film/mmo, I see no reason to have such a feature.

In Martial Arts MMO’s the feature makes sense as a throwback to old films where this sort of thing happened (Crouching Tiger, hidden Dragon, etc)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I have to disagree 100% with you, ZanchinFissure. I’m not sure where you got your evidence that a “vast amount of the playerbase” dislikes underwater. I, for one, love the underwater bits in GW2. Of all the MMOs I’ve played, it is, hands down, my favorite underwater. It’s pretty and I find it very easy to navigate. So far, I haven’t had any trouble with underwater combat, either. And, when I’m in the mood to avoid combat, I just keep swimming. Honestly, when I swim on the surface, I’m typically never even aggro’d by mobs.

If it’s simply a matter of being able to get from Point A to Point B without combat, why not waypoint?

I’ll qualify all this by saying that I don’t do PvP or WvW. Perhaps those underwater experiences are significantly different from PvE? Is that the bit you find distasteful?

There hasn’t been underwater combat in PvP for quite a while and barely any in WvW.

Edit: Underwater combat is almost completely avoidable already anyway. If you don’t want underwater combat then don’t go into the water. I don’t see the difficulty in that. There are some world completion items that requires diving down but this suggestion would do nothing to affect those.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

sarcastic lolipops.

Best idea you posted so far in this thread! Keep it up!

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i think it would be pretty cool if it was a mastery to be able to create a potion or something to walk on water. they could then do some puzzles or even encounters around this

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

The only way something like this would make any sense is if it was an Elementalist attuned to water.
Not saying I really agree with the idea at all though… Mechanically, I just don’t see any reason for it.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m sure the vast amount of the player base dislikes the water because of many reasons. One of the major reasons why I dislike it is because you lose half of your utilities, but that’s besides the point.

Water walking could be a good solution for mobility when treading across water. I’m not sure the best way to implement it, but there’s a few ways you could. I was thinking a potion with different strengths that work as a utility consumable that could be purchased in each racial city, or foods made with 400 cooking could also produce the effect. Just an idea.

Sorry this I.a very silly idea, and how do you lose your utility? Most traits cover underwater weapons as well anyway. And there are no underwater only traits anyway.

But what I’m getting from this post, is you want to just get somewhere quick, and swimming is annoying to you. One big reason for this not to happen, Orr. You could skip most of Straights of Devastation with water walking, you could also skip Malacors Reach. I would say that there is probably not enough water on most other maps to even be of use out side of Orr. Could be handy in sparkfly, and the area south of LA(I for get the name right now).

But yeah, I really don’t see the point to this item. It really would have little to no use in 90% of maps, and the other 10% it would let you skip alot of the map very quickly.

Personally I think it would be a wast of Dev time. And before anyone says it, yes I know.my percentages are way off.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

If we could do that, maybe we could become RNGesus and give ourselves some precursors, too

Back to topic, I don’t exactly like underwater either, but walking across it makes no sense gamewise or lorewise. You can already cross it mostly unhindered and why would you want to fight on it? If it’s land creatures you fight on land and if it’s water creatures, well they fight underwater so it makes sense that you are there too.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

A way to traverse water on its surface…. I thought the word for it was swimming. Could just be me but swimming is def already in the game.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I’m actually not sure this would be useful. If you just want to cross a body of water to get from point A to point B, it’s (usually) very easy to just plow through it without stopping to fight.

If you’re in a situation where you would have to fight (story missions, open world events, underwater fractal, etc.) walking on water wouldn’t do you any good.

It would be super neat to be able to walk on water, though, just because it would be cool. Not sure it would change anything, however.

It would be extremely useful if you don’t want to risk losing your charges (aside from using that trick to keep them)

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

He thinks he’s RNGsus …..

But to be serious. If you relly dislike water so be it, I think you should be able to keep yourself alive in the water though… and due some content in water being unavoidable I do not see the point. You can swim surfaced (no skills) and be realtivly safe (unless you’re pulled down, Which would likely be the same as your water walking… Else a lot of exploits would be born…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

One of the major reasons why I dislike it is because you lose half of your utilities, but that’s besides the point.

Half are gone? Did you not realize that you can fill those empty slots in while you are underwater to then again have all filled?

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Anet disagrees with YOU. There is a reason they removed the only PvP map with underwater combat, removed the lake in the middle of WvW borderlands, and a reason why none of the Black Lion weapons have had underwater models for like the last 10 sets. It is simply a failure. Underwater combat was supposed to be fun and something different for when you’re under the water, but for all but a few classes it is a chore and underpowered garbage.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I can already walk on water, it’s called jump spamming. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

One of the major reasons why I dislike it is because you lose half of your utilities, but that’s besides the point.

Half are gone? Did you not realize that you can fill those empty slots in while you are underwater to then again have all filled?

He is referring to skills that are unavailable while underwater, half is over exaggerating for most classes but relevant. However it would be nice if you could set or change underwater utility slots from the hero panel instead of having to go underwater just to set them.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

We could enslave baby quaggan and use them as diver propulsion vehicles.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

It would be immersion breaking. (See what I did there? )

Seriously, no. I would hate to see this, and I’d hate even more that resources were wasted on implementing it.

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Water walking suggestion

Raedwulf.3712

Oh, Belial – take another look. An awful lot of utility skills, and especially Elite skills are unselectable when you’re submerged. I think that’s the point being made. It’s annoying & build-breaking. Aside from that, I’m not a huge fan of underwater, but the problem, in my opinion, is simply that players aren’t used to playing in three dimensions…

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I’ts mostly because you cannot extrapolate 3 points for AOE to center under water locations, based upon a cusor without a distance,..

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Water walking suggestion

Raedwulf.3712

I don’t agree, Pax, but the why doesn’t matter. It only matters that it is. There are racial / class combinations that leave you with about 2 choices for an underwater Elite & half your utilities unavailable. And it’s not like we have a separate “underwater” trait build.

Whyever it is, what it is is rank bad design.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

i think it would be pretty cool if it was a mastery to be able to create a potion or something to walk on water. they could then do some puzzles or even encounters around this

Something like Terraria’s Gravitation Potion would be a lot more interesting for a puzzle.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

It’s funny you mention WoW in your response… you know cause of your own water walking suggestion.

Granted, you can’t water walk AND fight in WoW (last time I checked, which has been a while) so I guess that makes it a unique-er idea?

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: Zakka.2153

Zakka.2153

I don’t get people dislike for water combat. I love it.

While I agree it might be nicer just to have your normal abilities.

But there are some games that avoid water all together and I really hate that…

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Oh, Belial – take another look. An awful lot of utility skills, and especially Elite skills are unselectable when you’re submerged. I think that’s the point being made. It’s annoying & build-breaking. Aside from that, I’m not a huge fan of underwater, but the problem, in my opinion, is simply that players aren’t used to playing in three dimensions…

It’s not a lot at all, its shouts, and I believe transformation. That’s not alot at all. Get a grip.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Water walking suggestion

CandyHearts.6025

Underwater Combat is the best. Sad thing is a lot of people can’t grasp it. And it’s fun to camp in the water and get WvW kills because nobody bothers to know their underwater skills.

It’s really not that hard guys. And it’s a blast once you understand it. It’s like any other part of a game that is “brand new” to you. Practice makes perfect.

Walking on water can be done by spamming the jump button btw. Enjoy.

Water walking suggestion

Zev.3407

Anet disagrees with YOU. There is a reason they removed the only PvP map with underwater combat, removed the lake in the middle of WvW borderlands, and a reason why none of the Black Lion weapons have had underwater models for like the last 10 sets. It is simply a failure. Underwater combat was supposed to be fun and something different for when you’re under the water, but for all but a few classes it is a chore and underpowered garbage.

It was because it was hard to balance underwater skills with normal skills and anet trying to make this game an esport decided to get rid of it instead of rework it.

Most people also complained cus they couldnt grasp using x y and z axis, it was too complicated for them.

If they reworked it to better have it balanced(and more fun skills) alot of people who thought they didnt like it could like it. i mean how else we gunna fight steven.

Water walking suggestion

CandyHearts.6025

It was because it was hard to balance underwater skills with normal skills and anet trying to make this game an esport decided to get rid of it instead of rework it.

Most people also complained cus they couldnt grasp using x y and z axis, it was too complicated for them.

If they reworked it to better have it balanced(and more fun skills) alot of people who thought they didnt like it could like it. i mean how else we gunna fight steven.

Bubbles.

Water walking suggestion

ZanchinFissure.7981

It’s funny you mention WoW in your response… you know cause of your own water walking suggestion.

Granted, you can’t water walk AND fight in WoW (last time I checked, which has been a while) so I guess that makes it a unique-er idea?

I have no idea what’s in WoW, never played it. Sounds like they have a good idea about avoid garbage content that is water combat.

Water walking suggestion

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Not very many people like the water content but honestly, in the base game it’s here to stay. So don’t expect any kind of ‘avoid water’ skills like water running.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness