Way to go with Caladbolg event!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

Seriously devs, one of my all time favorite GW2 memories now. Could have done without the mote scavenger hunt, but way to go. With the mote scavenger hunt, I think flavor text on the screen, not in dialog boxes would have brought more significance to the mote. Much like the next part of the quest. I really hope more things like this are done to bring proper closure to character stories. Flavor text was an awesome touch too. What really made me choose this MMO back in the day was the lore, glad to see it finding it’s way back!.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with GW2 stories is that most of it seems unfinished or left dangling. Sometimes the lore is inaccurate or forgotten/ignored. This event does a great job in restoring hope. Plus, this truly felt like a quest, something GW2 hasn’t had much strength with in the past.

Keep churning stuff like this out!

Weren’t there 3 owners before?

Posted by: Andovar Edoras.2143

Andovar Edoras.2143

Weren’t there 3 owners before?

The Pale Tree gave it to Riannoc, but it was stolen by his squire. Upon retrieving it, the Pale Tree gave it to Trahearne. Technically the squire isn’t counted as its official owner. You probably need the Pale Tree’s blessing to be counted as one.

Posted by: Babyburger.3104

Babyburger.3104

Is there a time limit on this event? I mean, will I not be able to do it anymore at some point? I wish to get the ascended weapons, but unfortunately I don’t have time to play right now. It would comfort me to know I can do it when I have more spare time.

Posted by: alairus.4521

alairus.4521

Great story Anet I love it! And I like that little foreshadowing that you guys set up at the end of it. Not trying to spoil anything :-).

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Is there a time limit on this event? I mean, will I not be able to do it anymore at some point? I wish to get the ascended weapons, but unfortunately I don’t have time to play right now. It would comfort me to know I can do it when I have more spare time.

I don’t believe there is a time limit on these events, at least none of the “current events” have been removed yet.

I agree with the op too I love this event, good to see a fitting tribute to Trahearne in the game.

Edit: really autocorrect, really? You “corrected” Trahearne to Treherbert?

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I like the event as well. I also really like that it’s an ‘easy’ ascended weapon (No extensive money or time sink) that’s granted as a reward for playing through the story.

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

I loved that little surprise, but i was really dissapointed to see that i could not get bows, axe, warhorn or torch.

Hope the next one will fix that.

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

I have to agree that kudos are deserved for this event. Well done! But I agree that other alternative weapons should be available. If Caladbolg can be formed into a shield, it certainly could be formed into a bow or a staff or an ax.

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

pretty much as others have said, i really enjoyed this event, just wish focus, staff, trident and spear were available as well. made a new sylvari just for the occasion to use them.(themes and all that, they dont really fit a human necromancer).

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I have to say that I loved the very last line of the last story instance. I won't toss it into the Mystic Forge or anything, I promise. I had a little snort of laughter over that.

Posted by: Rozalina.3196

Rozalina.3196

Yes, thank you anet you guys did a great job on these Caladbog collections. I was soooo thrilled that we could earn the fixed version of the sword and it looks sooo AWESOME. Everything with these side achievements was great thank you! I also want to thank you guys for letting us be able to craft the other ascended weapons we didn’t choose the first time around.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Absolutely loved it. The scavenger hunt, the story, the final mission’s ending and the way we select the item, wow. :o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Also two thumbs up for me! It finally touches on some of HoT’s unfinished issues, and I do hope that the Pale Tree will feature in more current or episodic content again soon, since she does say there’s much to talk about. I’m still not sure if my sylvari can forgive her for keeping the big secret, and that really should come up at some point, but it did feel good to see her again. Trahearne, too, even as just a memory fragment. RIP big brother.

I enjoyed collecting the motes, and I wish the shards had similarly had some flavor text attached to them. If I have one quibble, though, it is that the talks with Ridhais felt rather “generic” and impersonal as a sylvari, as if she was talking to any random clueless outsider instead one of her own people. You don’t need to tell me about Caladbolg’s history and powers, since I’m the one who retrieved it and avenged Riannoc! In contrast, the brief conversation with the Pale Tree was much better.

I like the skins, too. I’m actually tempted to get all of them the “proper” way i.e. with other characters, though that is rather expensive …

Posted by: Meiko Isamura.6352

Meiko Isamura.6352

I also like having in game things to do to earn weapons and armor so this was good. Still hoping someday for a rising of the Temple of Ages so we can get back into FoW or UW zones for special weapons and armor skins. It was good though that this weapon was released as in game content and not exclusive on gem store!

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

I have to agree with the OP!
I loved this little quest chain.
I wish we could get something like this more often, it is totally the right way to keep me engaged into the game and lore!
Now I look forward to future similar release more than the living story chapters
ANET, YOU HAVE NAILED IT!

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

I have to agree too, this current event was really well done. Glad I kept that broken sword all this time. It is a good continuation of the far too short and incomplete story started heart of thorns.

Posted by: BlackIsleDragon.7516

BlackIsleDragon.7516

Yep, I am jumping on this bandwagon and saying I really enjoyed this as well. I wish there were more quest-like stuff in GW2. I would love to see less focus on Gold Sinks and more emphasis on world exploration and events. The world is fantastic, but we experience so little after map completion because we have no reason to venture back. More stuff like this will bring people to the far reaches of Tyria in search for collection pieces for new things, which is just awesome. I can’t wait for the next round.