Way to use skin from any type of armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Matheox.4576

Matheox.4576

What do you think guys to convince our great ArenaNet to make possible changing armor skins from any type to any class. I mean that we should be able to use heavy armor skins to our characters which are using only light armor. What do you think? Are you fond of that idea?

PS. My english is not so great so sorry in advance for that ^^
PS2. I’d love to see my Necro in Medium Arah set :P

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Convince? They can’t even be persuaded lol! And no, this doesn’t make sense, I don’t want heavies wearing our glorious light armors.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

I for one would welcome this, I’d remove weigh and racial restrictions too

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Their original reason for not doing this was because they wanted people to easily tell the difference between say a great sword guardian and a great sword mesmer in PVP. Course, I did and still do think it would be obvious right away from a great deal of other things.

That being said, now that we can wear costumes over our armor…….that defense does not really hold up. I think there might have been another reason, but I don’t recall what it was.

I disagree on racial restrictions. Racial armor is one of the things meant to diversify the races. Plus it wouldn’t make much sense if any race could wear sylvari cultural, as Sylvari cultural armor is designed to be an extension of their body of sorts.

And before anyone brings up nightmare armor, that set is implied (and the heavy confirmed in a sylvari personal story) to have been specially crafted by the nightmare court and this is even reflected in the design differences between cultural and nightmare. So those three armor sets are exceptions.

Removing weight restrictions however? I’m all for that.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

Their original reason for not doing this was because they wanted people to easily tell the difference between say a great sword guardian and a great sword mesmer in PVP. Course, I did and still do think it would be obvious right away from a great deal of other things.

That being said, now that we can wear costumes over our armor…….that defense does not really hold up. I think there might have been another reason, but I don’t recall what it was.

I disagree on racial restrictions. Racial armor is one of the things meant to diversify the races. Plus it wouldn’t make much sense if any race could wear sylvari cultural, as Sylvari cultural armor is designed to be an extension of their body of sorts.

And before anyone brings up nightmare armor, that set is implied (and the heavy confirmed in a sylvari personal story) to have been specially crafted by the nightmare court. So those three armor sets are exceptions.

You could tie the racial armor to some kind of reputation mechanic, so you can go be useful for the silvary and they as a token of gratitude give you the robes of their people, doesn’t sound bad right?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

And before anyone brings up nightmare armor, that set is implied (and the heavy confirmed in a sylvari personal story) to have been specially crafted by the nightmare court. So those three armor sets are exceptions.

You could tie the racial armor to some kind of reputation mechanic, so you can go be useful for the silvary and they as a token of gratitude give you the robes of their people, doesn’t sound bad right?

That misses my point entirely. The sylvari cultural armor is attached as a part of their body. This is most obvious in sets such as tier 2 light female, where the shoulder piece is not actually attached to the armor, but the back itself and tier 3 medium where parts of it are purely influenced by skin color as well as the heavy helm, which is clearly grown. Sylvari cultural armor is more then JUST clothing, it’s implied to attach to them.

Now armor inspired by Sylvari cultural? I could see that, make it different enough from it’s base but recognizable as being based on the cultural. Maybe as less detailed versions.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

The three different weights of armor have 3 different sets of geometry and cannot easily be mixed and matched. (Not just a clipping issue.) This came up in the discussion about outfits and town clothes (which used to be a fourth ‘weight’ of armor.)

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

yea, the weights need to stay like they are…I mean come on, there has to be limits and some separation of items.

Sincerly, Me.

Posted by: Kate Soulguard.7132

Kate Soulguard.7132

+1, Matheox! My hope springs eternal that we will be able to do this eventually. I’d buy the heck out of transmutation charges if it were possible, and I’d spend a LOT more on inventory space because I’d have about 60 slots dedicated to transmuted armor.

There are some medium and light articles that would look glorious on a heavy, and I struggle with appearance for my heavy-geared characters. They lack nice, casual appearances, especially now that the rules have changed concerning town clothes.

Unlocking racial armor… Yeah I’d be okay with that too, however it is managed.