We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

We don’t need bigger bags, we need better inventory management. Currencies should all go in the wallet. All base and 1st tier refined crafting items should be in mat storage. That would already free up a lot of spaces in most people’s inventories. The rest is just on you

Let’s not forget a Bookcase for all those logs/journals/historical items, instead of carrying them around. Especially since every new LS3 map seems to have a journal set as a collection. I don’t mind the extra lore component, but it’s a chunk of inventory bloat that could be better managed.
Something like: 1- Complete book item/collection, 2- Right click completed Book, Send to Library. Boom, item disappears and the entry shows up in the home instance library or some kind of Lore tab.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Let me prestate, that personally I find ArchonWings inventory management fine. With 52/160 slots used he is no where near where I would consider a bigger inventory is required. The suggestions I made were mostly of a possible nature to give people reading the thread an idea of what CAN be done inventory management wise.

The fundamental problem with just making bags bigger is that eventually people are going to fill them up too, and demand even bigger bags. And it all comes down to inventory management.

A very good point. I was trying to show that essentially it comes down to inventory management and when its necessity arises. The reason I’m sort of picky in this regard is because I was at the exactly same spot, I would literally save every single item that MIGHT be useful. Once I realize that 70% of the stuff was “there just in case” but maybe saw use once every full moon, I reorganized and rethought what I lug around. Does it bother me that I don’t carry around the birthday blaster? Sure it did in the beginning, now not so much. Would I love to have the exact boost with me in form of food or boosters on those occasional grind/farm trips? Sure, but the world or the game won’t end for me if I don’t.

Take item A that drops here and combine it with item B that drops there and make item C which is then used with item K to make food to feed some plant with a special feeder that you carry. Oh…and while this is going on, you have item G that you must use with item X to have a chance to get item Z that might help you make item A.

This is the actual culprit. In my opinion wacky gamedesign. The amount of influx in temporary material items that need to get carried around and new currencies that have no materialbank slot yet. This is no inventory problem though and if not fixed will cause an even bigger problem in the future even with bigger inventories (which are automatically more expensive to get).
We should be asking for better gamedesign from arenanet in this area, not for bandaid fixes in form of temporary size increases.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

The fundamental problem with just making bags bigger is that eventually people are going to fill them up too, and demand even bigger bags. And it all comes down to inventory management.

There are people going back and forth in this thread about what is and isn’t essential, but I can guarantee that even if we had 40 slot bags, there would be a similar argument after people got used to being able to carry twice as much kitten in their bags. Then even more items would be considered “essential” to always carry around. Its all a matter of convenience.

Yes, there are a lot of things Anet could do to help (all currencies in the wallet, all crafting mats in mat storage, tonic/toy wardrobe etc….), but making bag sizes bigger won’t fix the inventory management problem.

Of course, someone will complain no matter what, but I don’t think those people should be considered in any legitimate discussion. There are people that will be able to intelligently make use of whatever new space they have.

I mean what’s there to really lose? Let’s say instead, they pick the better alternative of making us able to have 10 bags (so 200 max). They might make more gem sales, and some people might be made happier. The people that can’t manage their inventory will remain unhappy, but that’s nothing lost since they’d be unhappy anyways. Who would it really kitten off? People that are really proud of inventory management? There might be technical issues with the matter, but that is something that only Anet can decide.

I do think people shouldn’t be phrasing things as “need”, since reality dictates you don’t really need much in a video game, but wants can and will drive things.

Then how come 160 slots isn’t enough space for them to “intelligently make use of the space they have”? Why would more bag space help them if it all comes down to just intelligently using the space you are given? It wouldn’t. It would just delay the problem.

Inventory management is the problem here, and the game doesn’t make it easy that’s for sure. There are a lot of things Anet should be doing to make it easier, but in the end making bags bigger, or offering more bags, won’t solve the actual problem. All it will do is hide it from people for a bit longer.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

OriOri.8724
ArchonWing.9480
Illconceived Was Na.9781
Cyninja.2954

+1 to all of you, nice discussion and interesting points.

To add something: How would it change things if ANet made a own map specific inventory tab that holds all map specific items, say a own 20 slot bag. Also carry over for WvW for siege, sw fro shovels, bitter frost for the armor pieces and potions etc ?

Bigger bags is a bandaid. The fix would be:

• Not spamming us with crazy amounts of green and blue items.
  • Drop cash, directly.
  • Drop crafting mats, directly.
  • That’s it. Done.

Honestly a large part of the problem would go away if we got the blue and greens already salvaged. But that might change it the other way around, so people didn’t even bother to buy more than the initial 4 bag slots :p

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

There are people going back and forth in this thread about what is and isn’t essential, but I can guarantee that even if we had 40 slot bags, there would be a similar argument after people got used to being able to carry twice as much kitten in their bags. Then even more items would be considered “essential” to always carry around. Its all a matter of convenience.

Yes, there are a lot of things Anet could do to help (all currencies in the wallet, all crafting mats in mat storage, tonic/toy wardrobe etc….), but making bag sizes bigger won’t fix the inventory management problem.

Of course, someone will complain no matter what, but I don’t think those people should be considered in any legitimate discussion. There are people that will be able to intelligently make use of whatever new space they have.

I mean what’s there to really lose? Let’s say instead, they pick the better alternative of making us able to have 10 bags (so 200 max). They might make more gem sales, and some people might be made happier. The people that can’t manage their inventory will remain unhappy, but that’s nothing lost since they’d be unhappy anyways. Who would it really kitten off? People that are really proud of inventory management? There might be technical issues with the matter, but that is something that only Anet can decide.

I do think people shouldn’t be phrasing things as “need”, since reality dictates you don’t really need much in a video game, but wants can and will drive things.

Then how come 160 slots isn’t enough space for them to “intelligently make use of the space they have”? Why would more bag space help them if it all comes down to just intelligently using the space you are given? It wouldn’t. It would just delay the problem.

Inventory management is the problem here, and the game doesn’t make it easy that’s for sure. There are a lot of things Anet should be doing to make it easier, but in the end making bags bigger, or offering more bags, won’t solve the actual problem. All it will do is hide it from people for a bit longer.

Maybe there’s more things that need to be stored now then there was 5 years ago, while character storage has mostly stayed the same? I only need to say one thing: Zone-specific Keys.

It certainly does matter. I disagree with the whole “delay the inevitable” logic because while it is true, I think it ignores the degree of the problem. It’s because it can deter/delay lesser issues. It’s not meant to prevent them. It’s like locking the door to your property. Sure, determined people could break in anyways, but that doesn’t make it useless.

I posted my inventory, because it was to show my typical watermark for inventory management. And it was also to show I generally have enough space to handle things but I understand that it’s easy to fill it up with “stuff”. I also understand it does very little to tell people to manage their inventory without giving an example.

It was at 52/160, which means I have 108 more slots to put crap in.

If I had 180 slots, I would have 128, slots which is more than 20% more spaces to put crap in. That can matter.

Now consider someone that has 100 slots taken up already. That person probably has some issues in this area. They have 60 slots free. With 20 more slots, their free space goes up by 33%. With 40 more slots, it goes up to 66%.

Obviously if someone just use it an an excuse to pile in more crap, then it won’t help. But we can’t assume everyone is like this, and thus examples like these are irrelevant because nothing helps. What about people that will continue to play as they do? The problem with your reasoning is that you seem to be assuming that changing things only helps the former.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Bigger bags is a bandaid. The fix would be:

• Not spamming us with crazy amounts of green and blue items.
  • Drop cash, directly.
  • Drop crafting mats, directly.
  • That’s it. Done.

This would make the game a lot less interesting for a lot of people. Humans tend to put less value on stuff that just shows up (“drop cash, directly”) or that requires no effort (‘drop crafting mats, directly’).

Take spirit shards as an example. These drop directly and most people don’t realize how often they drop, because we never see them in inventory (outside of 3/day from dailies).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

First let me start by saying I am the biggest pack rat alive. I keep so much stuff that I do not need to keep it is crazy. I have all bank slots purchased and a fully expanded personal guild bank and several mules. I still fill these things up.

But I have to agree with those here that say the main problem is inventory management. Very often, I have to go through and de-junk. There are many things that I hold on to that frankly not worth keeping. That is on me. I choose to keep this stuff and I can manage it.

If I would get rid of stuff initially, I wouldn’t have to manage at all and have space to spare.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

meh. I sported the 4 starter slots with size 15 bags on my toons until the other day. it really depends on how much gear you need vs what you want to have possible. the possible stuff is discard able.

if you get bigger bags, you will just fill those up after a while and want more space. its all on you.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

• Drop cash, directly.

You really don’t want to deal with all the inflation that would cause.

The entire reason that this game doesn’t have sinks like paying for armor repair is because of the low amount of raw gold that killing stuff gives.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, dropping tons of raw currency is not a good idea. It only has value because it can buy stuff. It doesn’t do much on its own beyond vendors and waypoints.

As annoying as the “salvage crap for materials” economy is, it works for a reason.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Just wait till the new expansion gives us 5 new maps with 5 new map currencies that don’t go in the wallet, 5 new types of keys to open map specific chests, and then with legendary armor they introduce a bunch of crafting material that won’t go in the crafting material storage. You think I’m being sarcastic? Just watch.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

This would make the game a lot less interesting for a lot of people. Humans tend to put less value on stuff that just shows up (“drop cash, directly”) or that requires no effort (‘drop crafting mats, directly’).

Take spirit shards as an example. These drop directly and most people don’t realize how often they drop, because we never see them in inventory (outside of 3/day from dailies).

Well, yes. That’s the whole point. Right now I notice the loot, which is a bad thing because it’s a horrendously negative element of playing GW2, and the primary reason friends talked me into giving FF14 a shot. Which, to be fair, hasn’t even once filled up my bags. At all. Never vendored anything. At this point in GW2’s life I’d be through 1000-2000 shots of salvage kit.

The entire reason that this game doesn’t have sinks like paying for armor repair is because of the low amount of raw gold that killing stuff gives.

But… do people really not vendor the grey items which drop? That’s what the money would be, replacement for all the stuff you’d just vendor anyhow. Same amount. 0 difference.

Yea, dropping tons of raw currency is not a good idea. It only has value because it can buy stuff. It doesn’t do much on its own beyond vendors and waypoints.

As annoying as the “salvage crap for materials” economy is, it works for a reason.

Again, I’m not arguing for adding money at all. You get tons of stuff in your inventory, yes? You salvage most of it Of the salvage stuff, you then vendor the sigils and the other gray stuff you got, yes? That part (and only that) would need replacement.

Because why go through all those clicks? We just turn it into money anyhow, why not just drop that money straight away?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Cyninja.2954

Just wait till the new expansion gives us 5 new maps with 5 new map currencies that don’t go in the wallet, 5 new types of keys to open map specific chests, and then with legendary armor they introduce a bunch of crafting material that won’t go in the crafting material storage. You think I’m being sarcastic? Just watch.

Which as mentioned is a design problem, not an inventory problem. Fixing this by increasing the inventory size is just a bandaid fix. The best solution here is as mentioned a fix to the actual problem, aka making more currencies go into the currencies tab instead of stack into the material storage.

Well, yes. That’s the whole point. Right now I notice the loot, which is a bad thing because it’s a horrendously negative element of playing GW2, and the primary reason friends talked me into giving FF14 a shot. Which, to be fair, hasn’t even once filled up my bags. At all. Never vendored anything. At this point in GW2’s life I’d be through 1000-2000 shots of salvage kit.

But… do people really not vendor the grey items which drop? That’s what the money would be, replacement for all the stuff you’d just vendor anyhow. Same amount. 0 difference.

Again, I’m not arguing for adding money at all. You get tons of stuff in your inventory, yes? You salvage most of it Of the salvage stuff, you then vendor the sigils and the other gray stuff you got, yes? That part (and only that) would need replacement.

Because why go through all those clicks? We just turn it into money anyhow, why not just drop that money straight away?

I have to agree with the not direct currencie route here. 2 main reasons come to mind:

A.) in game design it has become evident that getting a huge chunk of useless stuff still leads to satisfaction. It’s the exact same reason why loot explosions of white and low tier items happen in diablo instead of just occasionally dorping that maybe useful legendary. We know it’s trash, we know 99% of it gets salvaged and ends up as materials, yet our brain still finds satisfaction in gaining a lot of “stuff”.

B.) direct gold or currency drops circumvent the Trading Post and with it the accompanying trading post fee. This would lead to more direct inflation and also removes checks and balances opportunities for arenanet. Yes, if you vendor anything that does not apply, but the GW2 economy is actually built so that most items get redistributed via the TP. Just look at all the items people sell on the TP at vendor price (meaning they take a 15% hit to value and have to wait for the item to sell instead of just instant vendoring to an NPC).

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Carighan.6758

I have honestly no clue where everyone gets the idea from that I wanted to add money to the game. But is ok, after repeated attempts to correct you, I’m just giving up.

Misunderstand my suggestion if you insist on it. Is fine.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

We don’t need bigger bags, we need better inventory management. Currencies should all go in the wallet. All base and 1st tier refined crafting items should be in mat storage. That would already free up a lot of spaces in most people’s inventories. The rest is just on you

Let’s not forget a Bookcase for all those logs/journals/historical items, instead of carrying them around. Especially since every new LS3 map seems to have a journal set as a collection. I don’t mind the extra lore component, but it’s a chunk of inventory bloat that could be better managed.
Something like: 1- Complete book item/collection, 2- Right click completed Book, Send to Library. Boom, item disappears and the entry shows up in the home instance library or some kind of Lore tab.

Not sure about the BF books but the Lake Doric book can be tossed. You can get additional copies from interacting with any of the notes.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

ArchonWing.9480

I have honestly no clue where everyone gets the idea from that I wanted to add money to the game. But is ok, after repeated attempts to correct you, I’m just giving up.

Misunderstand my suggestion if you insist on it. Is fine.

Actually, I have no idea what you’re getting at. You said drop gold directly, which could be intepreted as gold as a drop. Then you elaborated further on about getting coin for sigils which either means that you want the coin from vendoring sigils directly. Or sonething.

Consudering the other people that misunderstood you, I think you are skipping parts of yoyr thought process in the writing whuch may make sense to you, but it is confusing otherwise.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Carighan.6758

Well it’s simple:

Right now, you loot a ton of items. Some of these items get turned into gold which is not made from the TP, but from selling things to vendors. Other items (or parts of them) get turned into crafting mats and banked.

Remove all the trash items, drop the money which would normally be generated by vendoring directly, drop the crafting mats directly, and drop the TP-stuff directly. Done.

There’d still be lots of actually dropping items, at the very least all rare+ things, and that’s probably still more stuff thrown at us than any other MMO does. But at least it’d not be quite as brutal anymore, and the effective items we acquire would be exactly the same. Just cut out the preprocessing step.

Can even scale the money dropped by the nominal 3cp per item salvaged right now. Keep everything the same.

And I have no clue where the idea that there’d be more money entering the game this way. I mean that money is already coming into the game. My whole point is to cut out the intermediate step of having to salvage all the blues and greens and process the stuff we obtain from that. Part of that means dropping more money because part of what we salvage right now ends up being sold to vendors.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Is “trash” literally the trash items, or are you lumping other things in there – white, blue, green…? ‘Cuz they say one man’s trash…

Personally, I have no problem with the current drops.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Zephic.3075

Zephic.3075

Bigger bags is not the solution. It will just make you horde more stuff until you hit the cap again returning you to this cycle of asking for even bigger bags.

Ultimately, you don’t even need that much space. It is truly all just a matter of perspective. Inventory management is key here. Do you really need even half the stuff you haul around? Multiple food items? Several armor sets? WvW items? I’ve been guilty of having some of my characters hauling weapon skins of all things in my inventory. Once you figure out what is absolutely necessary and keep only that in your inventory, you’ll find that you have plenty of space.

In my opinion, the main issue is the ever expanding number of portal scrolls, non-currency currency items (i.e. petrified wood, bloodstone crystals, etc.) and numerous key items (bandit keys, crowbars, etc.). Much of these should go in, as many have already suggested in multiple threads, a key ring or into the wallet. The portal scrolls should ideally go into a book that opens up dialog options of where you wanted to warp to.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Tbh I get by easily enough with 60-80 inventory slots per alt character, and don’t even need a bank guy. However I do most of PvE with my main who has 70-80 slots filled permanently. None of it is useless crap as I’m quite good at inventory management.

Key ring and an account-wide inventorial wallet to put my berries in would be my top picks here. 30 slot bags would be nice too, but that’s truly just a bandage.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

TorsoReaper.8530

Which as mentioned is a design problem, not an inventory problem. Fixing this by increasing the inventory size is just a bandaid fix. The best solution here is as mentioned a fix to the actual problem, aka making more currencies go into the currencies tab instead of stack into the material storage.

It’s not a design problem, it’s BY DESIGN. How many bank tab and bag slots have they sold by forcing all this junk on us? It’s not a coincidence.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

OriOri.8724

It’s not a design problem, it’s BY DESIGN. How many bank tab and bag slots have they sold by forcing all this junk on us? It’s not a coincidence.

Gonna have to disagree with you considering Linsey is working on adding mats to mat storage and getting LWS3 currencies added either to mat storage or to the wallet. So no, its not all by design.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

It’s been a while since I’ve commented, but it sounds like ANet should rethink loot. Someone mentioned boxes inside boxes… That is SO annoying

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Gonna have to disagree with you considering Linsey is working on adding mats to mat storage and getting LWS3 currencies added either to mat storage or to the wallet. So no, its not all by design.

haha, yeah. As a good rule of thumb, if your theory is based on “X is done specifically to annoy you into paying money for Y”, it’s probably not even remotely reality-based.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

Unfortunately anet has built the inventory system in such a way that its shortcomings are used for making the company money. That’s probably why you wont see much change.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Guys, there’s no downside to creating more bank slots, bigger bags, and more inventory bag slots. Those who have chosen to spend their time managing inventory simply don’t buy them. Those who have decided that time is money, and therefore they want to think about it less, they buy them. Which earns ANet more money.

Almost everybody wins, and absolutely NOBODY loses. Why is there even a discussion about this? This is a no-brainer:

ANet should just continuously add slots to all locations, until the amount of real-world money they receive for doing so drops to near what it costs them to create and maintain the extra slots.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Cyninja.2954

Guys, there’s no downside to creating more bank slots, bigger bags, and more inventory bag slots. Those who have chosen to spend their time managing inventory simply don’t buy them. Those who have decided that time is money, and therefore they want to think about it less, they buy them. Which earns ANet more money.

Almost everybody wins, and absolutely NOBODY loses. Why is there even a discussion about this? This is a no-brainer:

ANet should just continuously add slots to all locations, until the amount of real-world money they receive for doing so drops to near what it costs them to create and maintain the extra slots.

Actually that is not quite true.

There is a very real downside to creating more bag space which I adressed in a side note earlier.

More bag space comes at a higher cost to get said bag space.

Either in form of more required gem purchases or more expensive bags. At the same time it would cover and soften poor item implementation allowing arenanet to keep designing and implementing items which do not go into the material storage for example. Desiging around 160 maximum bags space is different then for say 200.

Net result: everyone has to pay more to get maximum bag space which eventually becomes needed.

As repeatedly said in this thread, it’s not about bag space.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

OriOri.8724

As mentioned multiple times in this thread, its not about people winning and losing. Its about the fact that bigger bags won’t do anything to solve the problem itself, so why even bother?

The actual problem is inventory management. Some players might get angry for being called out like this, but it is the actual problem. And yes, a lot of it does lie on Anets shoulders for giving us so many things in our inventories that shouldn’t be in there (again, currencies should go in wallet, crafting mats should be in mat storage, “mass” eater, bookshelf etc…). And making bags bigger won’t address this problem in the slightest.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Guys, there’s no downside to creating more bank slots, bigger bags, and more inventory bag slots.

Of course there are downsides.

• The cost increases.
  • This reduces incentive for ANet to manage the amount of stuff we need to keep.
  • This worsens inventory management issues for hoarders. Instead of giving them an incentive to get rid of stuff, it postpones the inevitable moment when they have to learn that they can’t keep it all.

I have bought all the upgrades for banks, materials, shared inventory, and most bags. I will always buy them all. So I’ve got nothing against ANet adding more

However, let’s not pretend that solves anything at all. The fact is that a good game offers a variety of loot for a variety of good reasons (as well as some bad ones) and that enjoying the game means learning how to manage loot. (A game that offers only ‘good’ loot or drops it immediately to the bank gets dull quickly, because it feels unrewarding.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

TorsoReaper.8530

How long has Linsey been “working” on that? I’ll bet you 10 gold we get LWS3 and no changes to map currencies or mat storage.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Hoarders need more bag space, the rest of us have several dozen open slots. We sell or salvage everything. Shared slots for salvage, food and toys. An extra armor set a few extra weapons sets on each character and I have multiple 20 slot bags waiting to be filled with more salvage and sell items.

Oh, I am not against there being larger bags. I’m not against expanding the wallet or adding key rings. But, hoarders are always going to hit the limit. Its in their nature.

SBI

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

We do. Dude, do you not carry extra armor with you? Do you not carry different foods? Do you not carry different tools? Such as extractors, shovels, etc.? There’s too much to carry!

-No, if I need a different armor set, it’s in the bank, and I have yet to be is such dire need of an armor change that I needed to use a bank access item (which I have in a shared inventory slot).
-No, I don’t use foods/utilities other than in WvW or Raids, and even then it’s only 2 slots as i use specific food/utility items for my builds.
-No, I have permanent tools, or carry one extra of each (3 slots taken). Extractors are obscenely expensive to the point of “never mind”. Shovels and keys are in shared inventory slots.

To use your generalization in the thread title: we do not need larger bags.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

Of course there are downsides.

• The cost increases.
  • This reduces incentive for ANet to manage the amount of stuff we need to keep.
  • This worsens inventory management issues for hoarders. Instead of giving them an incentive to get rid of stuff, it postpones the inevitable moment when they have to learn that they can’t keep it all.

I have bought all the upgrades for banks, materials, shared inventory, and most bags. I will always buy them all. So I’ve got nothing against ANet adding more

However, let’s not pretend that solves anything at all. The fact is that a good game offers a variety of loot for a variety of good reasons (as well as some bad ones) and that enjoying the game means learning how to manage loot. (A game that offers only ‘good’ loot or drops it immediately to the bank gets dull quickly, because it feels unrewarding.)

Your mistake (and it’s huge) is that inventory management is a virtue. It’s not. It’s a personal character trait. For some people, it’s valuable. For others, it’s not.

To your three bullets:

• There are no cost increases that are not balanced off by revenue increases. As I said, the stopping point is when the price of adding slots is larger than the revenue gained by selling those slots.
  • Of what value is ANet controlling our micro-management? You are advocating that ANet manage our stuff (by restricting how much stuff they offer). That costs far more than just creating slots.
  • Hoarding is not a problem. So, it does not need to be solved. Furthermore, it has no impact on non-hoarders.

I once did a study comparing the same issue for computer disk space. The conclusion was that it is far more expensive to manage space than it is to simply buy more. The payoff time for purchasing additional storage is measured in weeks.

There is only one factor that indicates one should stop hoarding (in that study): when the human doing the hoarding can no longer find things in the clutter.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

The actual problem is inventory management.

Inventory management is not a problem. It’s a difference in style.

I personally do not want to do (much) inventory management. How is that a problem for anybody else?

It COULD be a problem for ANet. But, it’s not because they’re earning money off of it.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

But, that’s MY problem, not yours. And, I choose to pay money to ANet so that I don’t have to spend my time in game doing something I abhor: organizing.

I could have saved a bunch of in-game gold by only using 18-slot bags vs. 20 (which are five times as expensive). But, I made a choice to pay the extra for those slots. (I would have paid real-world money to do it if I could have, but I thought the exchange rate was too high.)

I DID pay real-world money for bank slots and inventory bag slots. And, I’ll continue to do so as long as they’re available. I have and will also add character slots for storage.

It’s definitely not a “problem”.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

… But, hoarders are always going to hit the limit. Its in their nature.

Exactly. If it’s a problem, it’s a problem for me (only). And, I like it that way.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

Oh, and lest people think I’m favoring near-infinite space: the cutoff comes when ANet is not earning enough revenue selling more slots (of all kinds) than it costs to make those extra slots.

Now, what it costs to make those calculations also factors into ANet’s costs. For example, someone has to do the math to figure out if 800 gems is making enough to pay for extra server space, development time, etc. That person’s time (the one who does those calculations) should also be included in the cost/benefit equation. The 800 gems must pay for that person’s time as well.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Cyninja.2954

But, that’s MY problem, not yours. And, I choose to pay money to ANet so that I don’t have to spend my time in game doing something I abhor: organizing.

I could have saved a bunch of in-game gold by only using 18-slot bags vs. 20 (which are five times as expensive). But, I made a choice to pay the extra for those slots. (I would have paid real-world money to do it if I could have, but I thought the exchange rate was too high.)

I DID pay real-world money for bank slots and inventory bag slots. And, I’ll continue to do so as long as they’re available. I have and will also add character slots for storage.

It’s definitely not a “problem”.

No it’s not YOUR problem, it’s literally every players problem and while you and others might be willing to pay, others might not. Stop looking at things through only your perspective.

FYI, I have

- all bank slots
- full bag slots on 6-7 characters
- 18 characters
- 10 shared inventory slots
- all nodes for my home instance

Yet I would not run around demanding things from arenanet which would detrimentaly affect players who are not willing to spend as much money on the game.

I once did a study comparing the same issue for computer disk space. The conclusion was that it is far more expensive to manage space than it is to simply buy more. The payoff time for purchasing additional storage is measured in weeks.

Apples to oranges much? You are literally leaving out the most important aspect, arenanet not having to design for lower inventory space in your example. That would be covered by having to buy more diskspace 30-40% earlier than usual (going by your example) and that is the exact price increase people are arguing against.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Cyninja.2954

• There are no cost increases that are not balanced off by revenue increases. As I said, the stopping point is when the price of adding slots is larger than the revenue gained by selling those slots.

Cost to players, not arenanet. Big difference.

• Of what value is ANet controlling our micro-management? You are advocating that ANet manage our stuff (by restricting how much stuff they offer). That costs far more than just creating slots.

Exactly, and the easy solution is to just add bag space instead of arenanet adding other solutions for currencies (and other inventory hoging items). One solution is a temporary bandaid fix, the other actually solves the crowding problem.

• Hoarding is not a problem. So, it does not need to be solved. Furthermore, it has no impact on non-hoarders.

Going by this thread it obviously is. You saying it is not does not make it so.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

And they need to stop tossing us random crap with the LW episodes. Bitterfrost Frontier is my favorite map currently but I bloody hate the fact that in order to do stuff on the map, there’s otherwise completely useless items I need in my inventory for it. 3 pieces of Svanir armor, 3 elixir ingredients + the one that’s actually useful.

And when you start counting the stuff from other episodes, you suddenly realize how much space they take and you can’t get rid of them.

I think we need all of the above, 30 slot bags, account-wide bag slot expansions, a keyring, etc.

This to me is the biggest problem. Every new zone has some new item(s) that will NOT go in the wallet and you need to stack up. It feels like they are intentionally trying to fill our inventory to drive storage sales.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

More storage is not a solution, just a band-aid on the actual issues. The issue does indeed involve the design choices ANET has been making with all the map specific and items, currencies that don’t go in wallet, and all the other stuff that should have dedicated storage but instead just clogs up storage space. Then there’s also all the stuff from limited time events like early LS episodes that seem to be useless at this point but there’s no clear indication at all. And of course, inventory management is going to be an issue for some people. People’s inventory management issues are not ANET’s fault and it would be wrong to blame them for that, but it’s certainly fair to blame ANET for all the other stuff they do to compound the problem. Then there’s also the loot overload just playing the game. I like the boxes in boxes, it saves space while playing. But there are so many different boxes that don’t stack together and so many different junk items. Between that and the ridiculous number of whites, blues and greens space gets clogged up way too fast.

It’s sad that ANET puts so much effort into clogging peoples inventory in so many ways to try to get people to buy more space.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

No it’s not YOUR problem, it’s literally every players problem and while you and others might be willing to pay, others might not. Stop looking at things through only your perspective.

How is it your problem because I am disorganized and like it that way?

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

Cost to players, not arenanet. Big difference.

The cost to you is simple to solve: don’t buy them. So, there’s zero cost to you (unless you choose otherwise).

The cost to ANet is (at a minimum) development effort, ongoing maintenance, server and storage costs, and overall management of this piece of their infrastructure. That would be set against the real-world revenue stream they get selling extra slots.

(NOTE: They wouldn’t count the entire cost of buying slots, because some people use in-game gold to buy the gems. But, they certainly know what that ratio is, so they can factor it against the revenue.)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

How is it your problem because I am disorganized and like it that way?

Isn’t that how the world works nowadays? It’s my problem that you have a problem and it’s a problem that your problem is a problem which makes it a problem for me – and that’s a problem.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

More storage is not a solution, just a band-aid on the actual issues.

I agree, but I wouldn’t call those the “actual issues”. There are two classes of issues on this front: the ones you mention, plus the actual storage space available.

My arguments are entirely about the latter. I completely agree on the former needing help as well.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

Isn’t that how the world works nowadays? It’s my problem that you have a problem and it’s a problem that your problem is a problem which makes it a problem for me – and that’s a problem.

:)
:D

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

ArchonWing.9480

I actually don’t have a problem if they decide to create a need for storage space. That’s just how things work. But there may be needs that they could fulfill, and people willing to pay.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Crinn.7864

Oh, and lest people think I’m favoring near-infinite space: the cutoff comes when ANet is not earning enough revenue selling more slots (of all kinds) than it costs to make those extra slots.

Now, what it costs to make those calculations also factors into ANet’s costs. For example, someone has to do the math to figure out if 800 gems is making enough to pay for extra server space, development time, etc. That person’s time (the one who does those calculations) should also be included in the cost/benefit equation. The 800 gems must pay for that person’s time as well.

Cost is irrelevant. The limit of bags is just a integer, that can be changed easily by a single person in minutes.
The server cost is likewise irrelevant because that’s not how software design is done. ArenaNet is not going to upgrade servers over inventory, so inventory limits will be based on existing server limitations.

However in reality the bag limitations are a design decision not a cost decision. Hoarding is bad for the game economy so they will want to discourage such behavior.

YouTube

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

OriOri.8724

I think my opinion has gotten lost in this thread.

I’m not explicitly against bigger bags. But it wouldn’t actually solve any of the problems that we face in regards to our inventories right now. Which means that the development effort that would go into make the recipes/cost of these bags would effectively be wasted, as the actual problem wouldn’t be addressed in the slightest.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Crinn.7864

I think my opinion has gotten lost in this thread.

I’m not explicitly against bigger bags. But it wouldn’t actually solve any of the problems that we face in regards to our inventories right now. Which means that the development effort that would go into make the recipes/cost of these bags would effectively be wasted, as the actual problem wouldn’t be addressed in the slightest.

I don’t think we need bigger bags.

But as a programmer with experience with game engines and object oriented programming in general, I take offense at the fact that people are talking about “development cost” of adding bigger bags.

The development cost is nothing.

The engine already has provisions for adding arbitrary game items, and the engine already has provisions for arbitrarily sized bag objects. Adding new bags of a larger size is trivial as far as development costs is concerned.

The question of bag size is purely a question of game design, not development cost.

YouTube