We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I think my opinion has gotten lost in this thread.

I’m not explicitly against bigger bags. But it wouldn’t actually solve any of the problems that we face in regards to our inventories right now. Which means that the development effort that would go into make the recipes/cost of these bags would effectively be wasted, as the actual problem wouldn’t be addressed in the slightest.

I don’t think we need bigger bags.

But as a programmer with experience with game engines and object oriented programming in general, I take offense at the fact that people are talking about “development cost” of adding bigger bags.

The development cost is nothing.

The engine already has provisions for adding arbitrary game items, and the engine already has provisions for arbitrarily sized bag objects. Adding new bags of a larger size is trivial as far as development costs is concerned.

The question of bag size is purely a question of game design, not development cost.

Now there could be the question of the increased server memory required to store the larger inventories, but that’s not something anyone outside of Anet is going to be able to answer. Although I feel confident in saying that the current inventory sizes are way undershooting the server limits, since programmers typically tend to be conservative about such things.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’m not explicitly against bigger bags. But it wouldn’t actually solve any of the problems that we face in regards to our inventories right now. Which means that the development effort that would go into make the recipes/cost of these bags would effectively be wasted, as the actual problem wouldn’t be addressed in the slightest.

But as a programmer with experience with game engines and object oriented programming in general, I take offense at the fact that people are talking about “development cost” of adding bigger bags.

The engine already has provisions for adding arbitrary game items, and the engine already has provisions for arbitrarily sized bag objects. Adding new bags of a larger size is trivial as far as development costs is concerned.

The question of bag size is purely a question of game design, not development cost.

I’m actually in school for programming lol

I think you missed the point I was trying to make, or I didn’t explain it fully. When I say wasted development time, I meant it. Sure, adding the bags to the game is easy stuff. But still JS would have to evaluate the recipes, and management would probably hold several meetings with different groups of developers to see how ti impacted the game. And overall it would eat up a lot of hours to not even start to solve the problem itself, which is why I find it hard to support this idea.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Cost is irrelevant. The limit of bags is just a integer, that can be changed easily by a single person in minutes.
The server cost is likewise irrelevant because that’s not how software design is done. ArenaNet is not going to upgrade servers over inventory, so inventory limits will be based on existing server limitations.

However in reality the bag limitations are a design decision not a cost decision. Hoarding is bad for the game economy so they will want to discourage such behavior.

That single person spending minutes costs money, does it not? I happen to think it’s not a trivial operation, or they would have already done it. But, it’s still a cost, regardless how small. Also, remember it’s balanced off against an even smaller number: the real-world money made by selling widgets that increase capacity.

Reducing your second paragraph to the absurd, then they should give us infinite storage. Since that’s obviously impossible, there must be a finite number at which it actually costs money.

Hoarding is only bad for the economy as gold is “bad” for the economy; they’re not bad. They’re both resources to be managed.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

But as a programmer with experience with game engines and object oriented programming in general, ….

So, you did your development for free?

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I think you missed the point I was trying to make, or I didn’t explain it fully. When I say wasted development time, I meant it. Sure, adding the bags to the game is easy stuff. But still JS would have to evaluate the recipes, and management would probably hold several meetings with different groups of developers to see how ti impacted the game. And overall it would eat up a lot of hours to not even start to solve the problem itself, which is why I find it hard to support this idea.

Talking about how they might have to have a meeting is splitting hairs really hard. Management spends most of their day in meetings anyways and both management and the designers are going to be salaried so there is no extra dollar cost.

But that doesn’t matter, because in reality neither you nor I have any idea of how much bureaucracy would have to be waded through in order to make such a change. We are both arguing from ignorance.

What kills me is that every single suggestion that ever goes up on this forum always gets shot down by the “but it would require Anet efforts!” argument. And it’s stupid because ArenaNet is the only people that know the correct answer to that, and the devs are presumably intelligent enough to make the cost/benefit analysis on their own without help from the forumites.

If you want to attack the idea because you think it would negatively effect the game itself then go for it, but this constant throwing around of development costs is myopic. I mean really, SAB was something that wasn’t originally planned, and required developer resources yet it happened.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

I think Crinn seems to know more than most about how hard it is to make a change. Certainly more than me.

One thing to keep in mind. We don’t actually need a 40 slot bag, just more bag slots. I would have to think that could be done with almost no effort.

It has been brought up that might cause servers to be overloaded. I that’s the reason, then fine. If not…..then do it…….

This would be a good time for Anet to make a comment….is that problem or not.

Come on Anet, make some money off us hoarders.

(edited by Tom.6478)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

I wanted to add to my post…

Overall, I think Anet has done a good job. However this is my biggest pet peeve.

They have to see threads like this of all strips. Its clear that there is many opinions one way or another. Often people say this or that as to why this or that should be done without knowing the real reason….me included.

I just wish they would chime in and give us the reason why. Letting people argue about something they may know nothing about is not helpful.

If there is a reason not to have more storage space, just tell us. You might be surprised how many of us would simply say, ok, now I understand.

Keeping silent in a thread like this is just stupid ( even if you have to say it more than once if there’s multiple threads )….Sorry but I got to say that.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

No it’s not YOUR problem, it’s literally every players problem and while you and others might be willing to pay, others might not. Stop looking at things through only your perspective.

How is it your problem because I am disorganized and like it that way?

It’s not and I never said it was.

What I said which holds true is that adding additional bag space allows for arenanet to ignore the issue forcing or at least increasing the pressure on people to buy additional bag space. THAT is the issue. You intentionally or unintentionally misunderstanding this point is not my problem. It’s merely proof that there is a downside to adding bag space instead of solving the issue via another way. You know in response to:

Guys, there’s no downside to creating more bank slots, bigger bags, and more inventory bag slots.

This is not about developement cost, which truly is negligable, but about how the problem gets solved. It directly affects QoL of the playerbase and accessibility of the game.

I could care less about people hoarding, I do care about getting spammed shut with bind on pickup story items and additional ressources which do not go into the material storage for example.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

It’s nice that you say that, but … over in WoW land, I’ll point out that the basic backpack has not changed size over the life of the game because — in the words of the developers at Blizzard — it’s hard-coded into too many things to be easy to change.

It may or may not be easy to adjust bag sizes, but all you need is one hard-coded “<= 20” somewhere and, ugh, problems happen. (Also, one database table with a hard-coded size for inventory storage, or one network packet with 20 allocated slots for item references….)

One thing that is universally true: every bit of software is painfully, annoyingly different, and they all grow warts over time that make them harder to change than they could be.

I’ll lay odds that if you build something with your engine now, it’s got /some/ arbitrary limit, even if that is just a cap of a 32-bit or 64-bit int for stack size, or something. (…or if not you, then some other developer will screw up.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

ANet SHOULD have added currencies and map specific mats AS the maps were introduced. A key ring would help as well but I’m not expecting that. This Reddit thread talks about the state of material storage/wallet update.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5ylj2w/anet_it_has_been_months_when_will_you_finally/

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Well, that is the problem with developing on old engines, sometimes there are some weird stuff that just can’t be changed (hardcoded or limitations or what not). Considering WoW is built partially from Warcraft3, and GW2 is a heavy modified GW1 engine. Who knows what is hardlocked or not. Heck, most scripts in the games is invisible small critters casting spells :p

Anyways, what I feel is the most relevant question here is the Game Design, on how many slots vs how much loot/drops etc they intended. And how this is messed up with the further adds of map specific items, and how behind they are with adding them to the wallet.

This might again touch on a limitation in the engine (We don’t know), that it takes so long to add items to wallet. It might be a whole lot of work to add a single item to the wallet, because that part might be coded really weird, based on some GW1 stuff.

Wondering if it would be easier to just make a new inventory system for those items, or perhaps have them count as account bound mats instead, and let us use them from mats tab. Or some other weird workaround.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: insaneseagull.7063

insaneseagull.7063

Based on what I know, a lot of players (including myself) have to use a quarter of our inventory to hold second gear sets, food, currency, etc. Please give us bigger bags

Bigger bags? Nah,how’re they going to market the extra inventory slots then? Case closed…no?

But I see your point. I’m a big fan of experiementing with builds on my necromancer (my main) and I’ve already got all shared inventory slots and all the possible inventory expansions (bought for gems). I still run into the problem of not having “enough” space for events and such. I carry with me 4 different armor sets and a huge array of weapons. Soon to be 5 armor sets. lol. Not even counting food.

I’ve got a couple of 22 slots and some 18 slots. I guess I could invest in more 22 slot bags,that’d make my gw life a bit easier but I definitely see where you’re coming from. But as my first paragraph says,I’m positive that this won’t even be a thing. What will be a thing though is probably more inventory expansions.

sigh

Save up for https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Silver-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic when it becomes available again and make good use of the “Deposit All Materials” and compact options. They’re a godsend,really. And if you’re in a very tight spot and can’t for the life of you teleport to for example the Mists and use the merchant there or even a random merchant in PvE or whereever you’re playing then just destroy the sea of green sigils in your inventory. It’s a bit of clicking and dragging but hey,if you can’t WP/TP anywhere…what’re you gonna’ do? :P

Also,if you’re like me and carry around several sets of armors,invest in one of those invisible bags and put your armor in those. It makes Deposit and Compact’ing way more fluent

EDIT:
I don’t know where I got 22 slots from lol. I meant 20.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks
IGN: Sparkly Darkness/Sinh Verdandi/Got D Boons
Guild: Anime And Manga Club [AMC]

(edited by insaneseagull.7063)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

I’ve got a couple of 22 slots and some 18 slots. I guess I could invest in more 22 slot bags,that’d make my gw life a bit easier but I definitely see where you’re coming from.

22 slots? I thought 20 was the biggest. Or, is that a typo?

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: insaneseagull.7063

insaneseagull.7063

I’ve got a couple of 22 slots and some 18 slots. I guess I could invest in more 22 slot bags,that’d make my gw life a bit easier but I definitely see where you’re coming from.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks
IGN: Sparkly Darkness/Sinh Verdandi/Got D Boons
Guild: Anime And Manga Club [AMC]

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Muy.3170

Muy.3170

Common folks, bigger bags were the design choice from the start. Why would it be so wrong to naturally expand to something that obviously needs expanding? All through levels 1-80 you lvl up earning bigger bags. From then on you got stuck, and had to use real money to expand your bag slots to be held. I think larger bags that can be rewarded in game without gems would greatly increase the need to players to strive to earn the bags. Of course, you shouldn’t just make it something stupidly hard to earn either keep it simple and unique to the old design but make it ascended or legendary even. It would give players something to do anyways since they destroy any of the NEW content with NEW designs, let them work on those 9 bags they’d want to make 30 or 40 big.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

so, are you prepared for the cost?
10 slots = 4s96c
12 slots = 14s80c (3x)
15 slots = 50s (3.4x)
18 slots = 2g (4x)
20 slots = 10g (5x)
following this pattern, we get:
22 slots = 60g (6x)
25 slots = 420g (7x)
28 slots = 3,360g (8x)
30 slots = 30,240g (9x)
32 slots = 302,400g (10x)
35 slots = 3,326,400g (11x)
38 slots = 39,916,800g (12x)
40 slots = 518,918,400g (13x)
seeing as the max gold it’s possible to have on one account is 200,000g, 40 slots and higher is out of the question
and that’s just for the rune of holding, for ONE bag, nevermind the materials (which would basically be insignificant in comparison)
I do think there should be ascended-quality 22-slot bags for ~100g and legendary-quality 25-slot bags for ~1000g, but anything more is ridiculous.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

One thing to keep in mind. We don’t actually need a 40 slot bag, just more bag slots.

Agreed.

I would think something like a 22-slot bag for another 25g, and go up from there. The 24 slotters would be maybe 40g.

But, if they do after such a long time (and have the high prices I’m recommending), it would be better if we could “upgrade” our 20s into 22s or 24s (etc.) Sort of like a rune of holding in GW1. But, the runes of holding would need to be customized per bag. So, you would need to buy a rune to upgrade a 20-slot bag to a 22-slotter. Etc.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

Whew! I thought I might be going nuts. (Which would mean your account name might be rubbing off … :o.)

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

so, are you prepared for the cost?

I would accept it, but I’m nowhere near being able to actually buy them.

I’m not sure the exponential increases need to continue at that rate, but they would definitely need to cost a lot more.

However, my larger problem wouldn’t be the cost as much as the old bags. I don’t want to have a bunch of 20-slot bags laying around.

So, they should have a “rune of holding” concept, where the extra cost would be applied to the existing bags, as opposed to all new ones.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It would seem more bag slots seems simpler.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

We NEED 30-40 Slot Bags

Daddicus.6128

It would seem more bag slots seems simpler.

Perhaps. And, it would be closer to a direct revenue stream (gems), whereas buying bigger bags would be primarily in-game currency.

But, I would actually lobby for both.