We have lots of raid content.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

When I read “Gw2 has no raids” it makes my head spin.

Just out the top of my head I can name 11 raids:
- Shatterer
- Jormag
- Tequatl
- Shadow Behemot
- Draithor / Ulgoth
- Fire elemental
- Giant Wyrm
- Megadestroyer
- Priestess of Grenth
- Champion of Jormag
- Giant Corrupted Jungle Worm

Anet had done raids in the form of world raids in NcSoft style rather than instanced ones like Blizzard, but they aren’t any less of a raid.

I’m not sure why some expected Anet to copy Blizz raid style when their cousins at NcSoft made a successful raid system that’s been kicking since 2003.

Posted by: Meadows.1659

Meadows.1659

My definition of a raid isnt something i can complete in 5-10 minutes nor one shot them the first time i do them. These get old and boring after about the 3rd time you have done them.

Posted by: Painking.4703

Painking.4703

Jormag himself is not a boss in this game. He’s farther up north beyond the Frostgorge Sound.

Posted by: Fyren.6309

Fyren.6309

If it is going to be open world, it should be something along the lines of Everquest 1 or FFXI.

At least more than asingle digit parties involved with elongated battles and plethora of particle effects from spamming skills. But most importantly, guild cooperation and not random strangers that can jump in, spam, respawn, spam, respawn and win.

Hell, even WAR and Rift did open world raid bosses better.

The list you have mentioned is more of an event than a coordinated strike against a boss.

Red Falcon.8257

Fyren so you’re basically asking for harder difficulty on raids, I agree with that.
I feel bosses should require a well-coordinate team with all the combo fields, reflections and shields up.

Still, content is there, just need to be tweaked in difficulty.

Posted by: minikiller.8475

minikiller.8475

…………………
None of them are raids
None

Red Falcon.8257

They are raids like L2 Baium, Valakas, etc.

Just because you call raids only what Blizz calls raids it doesn’t make them any less raids.

It’s like saying a car is not a car because it’s in the open streets instead of closed into a garage.

Posted by: Craven.5468

Craven.5468

I agree, these would make for fantastic endgame and fit the games core concepts (DE’s). If they are not challenging enough, they may simply need to tweak the participant scaling code, or modify their AI or stats.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

They need more stages. And also more interesting fights.

Champion of jormag and the corrupted worm are toe’ing the line into the right.

Jormag has an interesting fight, in 2 phases, with different ways to fight him, plenty of opportunity for every class to help out, and more than just “smack a dragon toe all day” Now, it could still stand to be improved (there’s still some dragon toenails that needed vanquishing) but it’s getting there.

The jungle worm gets the DE’s before the fight correct. There are several DE’s before it based around discovering and then triggering the fight. Jormag does something similar, but not really, as the crystals at the start are part of what he does, and it’s the same 5 DE"s in a row. The centaur at harathi is similar. You have to take every base, then hold out, then assault, then kill his pets, then kill him, then hold out again. It’s very much a long chain that spans most of the zone.

Basically if you want to consider these “raids” i’d say they need
1. larger DE chain leading up to them
2. More interesting fight

Example of doing it totally wrong:
Tequatl – no DE’s prior, entire fight is just hitting his feet (using the cannons isnt effective at all compared to just hitting the toenail)

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I will say the Priests of Balthazaar are probably the closest to legit cooperation in a group raid, just cause if the group just goes in with the sit n’ spam philosophy, except a wipe. If more events were like that, I’d do em.

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

I did the Temple of Grenth event with a limited number of players and the whole thing really DID feel like a legitimate raid.

You had clear the adds, pound on the boss, protect the npc. When it’s not a clusterkitten it actually becomes challenging and can actually FAIL if people aren’t careful.

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

Yeah it feels like a raid until you look for the loot…….

Posted by: youngroos.8970

youngroos.8970

Man, none of those are raids when u got about 100 people spamming attack and no real strategy. Those events just have you required to do minimal work for a crappy troll chest with a few drops that are worth next to nothing- less the Anet gods favor you. The only reason to do those events is to hopefully get a rare or a exotic maybe 1 out of 8 events (at least with my experience with 100 magic find). If they want to make a raid content, they need to SHOVE ALL THOSE BOSSES INTO A SINGLE INSTANCE WITH A 20-30 MAN RAID. Theres a pro tip to the developers…

Posted by: sabinerak.7402

sabinerak.7402

Personally, I’m thrilled that the “endgame” in GW2 is not all about raids, raids, and more raids. The fact that it’s something different is one of it’s most appealing features. Hopefully, the devs will never make GW2 into yet another MMO raiding game grind.

Posted by: Craven.5468

Craven.5468

Personally, I’m thrilled that the “endgame” in GW2 is not all about raids, raids, and more raids. The fact that it’s something different is one of it’s most appealing features. Hopefully, the devs will never make GW2 into yet another MMO raiding game grind.

I couldn’t possibly agree more. If I want to raid in an MMO, I would go play WoW or EQ1 or 2, etc.

I am here on GW2 because it is different. I merely want more of the ANet vision to be realized (over time).

Posted by: Avatar.1923

dungeons are raids, and maybe dungeons with more players capacity will eventually be pumped out…

i would say, very probable.

game for the first month is amazing.
and anet are learning fast, i hope

Posted by: youngroos.8970

youngroos.8970

Well why should they limit it to the opposite of other mmos? Alot of players here like a big guild challenge. I have heard this game is to the casual player which is B.S because even at one point a casual would want to experience something on the difficult side. The Raids here are a joke- its the same dynamic crap but with more people, tbh its nothing different than a doing a shared quest to complete a smaller event just with a crappy chest. If these bosses were to be placed in a raid instance, NO ONE is telling you to run it- it wont affect your game. But it would give some of the people who like a small raid challenge a feat to accomplish.

Red Falcon.8257

I see we all agree on the necessity for increased difficulty and more reward.
Anet could really turn these fights into something really enjoyable for endgame pve guilds, perhaps they will see this and do something.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

If they want to make a raid content, they need to SHOVE ALL THOSE BOSSES INTO A SINGLE INSTANCE WITH A 20-30 MAN RAID..

OoOoooo! Quaggan likes this!

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

In simple aspect, a “Raid” is a larger-than-average party with a common objective. In essence, many of these Dynamic Events could be Raids that is incredibly easy to access for Joe Casual as opposed to “Raid Dungeons” which may require a bit more organization and coordination depending on the content, sometimes with a bit of scheduling using outside resources like a “raid sign-up sheet” and other related utilities.

Personally, I like how the DEs are set up. For some group events, I still have that feeling of raiding if I’m tagging along with a reasonably sized group of players (as in not too big, but not too small), but at least I could participate on my own pace instead of waiting for a scheduled time to do them; and still feel moderately rewarded. Nothing too fabulous but not too cheap either.

Funny that you mentioned Priest of Grenth— I thought that one was pretty challenging in some parts, especially if you have to make the decision of beating up the Priest, or clear out the oncoming wave of Shade adds.

Personally, I thought the Balthazar chain was interesting in setup. I mean you have prepare three lines of invasions. That means everyone in the zone would have to split up in three “mini-raids” to uncontest each of the areas, then converge up at the Pact Rally Point and then finally making your way to the Temple. It’s a simple setup, but I think it could be a great basis for something more spectacular … assuming it doesn’t get bugged along the way.

Although it would be nice to have raid-sized dungeons, I would be somewhat surprised to see them in GW2, especially if it’s content that requires one to be in a dedicated guild (or at least a dedicated PUG of 20~30 warm bodies to clear the content in question). If there were going to be instanced Raid dungeons, I actually wouldn’t expect that to be that big. I think 10~15 might be a reasonable amount. It would be big enough to still have a challenge, but not too big that it ends up being a huge Zerg. In GW1, the average party size was 8 (with 4~6 in some earlier areas), while the two Elite Missions in Factions, The Deep and Urgoz’s Warren, were 12-mans. If anything, I’d imagine a future GW2 “Elite” dungeon would require just as much.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .