Just a flesh wound.3589

Broken forums are broken.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

We need a barber shop

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It’s fine, 250 gems isn’t really all too much to get in game or even to buy. The only greedy thing is the exclusive hairstyles only available via hair style kit. Just add those to the character creation already!

Which would mean that new people and new chars would get the exclusive hairstyles and faces for free but veterans with old chars would have to pay. If you don’t think that would cause massive whining in the forums then you don’t know the forums.

Yeah, kinda. But people usually accept to pay for a reskin of their character.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

We need a barber shop

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

It’s fine, 250 gems isn’t really all too much to get in game or even to buy. The only greedy thing is the exclusive hairstyles only available via hair style kit. Just add those to the character creation already!

Which would mean that new people and new chars would get the exclusive hairstyles and faces for free but veterans with old chars would have to pay. If you don’t think that would cause massive whining in the forums then you don’t know the forums.

Though when something change and makes an unfair “advantage” there will be whining. I would be vary angry with their decision, maby not complain on the forums though. Anyway, I have bought a few Total Makeover kits just to get the exclusive stuff for my new characters.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I would expect a lot more than “kinda” in the volume of upset from people who see new people who have just logged on getting the exclusive looks and people with chars nearly 3 years old have to pay.

The thing is, there are all these suggestions that ANet make this feature for free and that feature for free. Individually they may not cost the company that much but taken all together they would strip it from most of their gemstore income. So far this week I’ve seen suggestions that hair/makeover kits and outfits be free and when new armor was in the gemstore that was wanted to be free. All minipets, that is another frequently requested item also. And so on and so forth since launch, people wanting it to be free even though they can pay gold and get it for free anyway.

ANet may give it to you.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

And how many of those “every other big MMO” does not require a subscription to play?

Quite a few actually. In fact gw2 is the only game and ESO that i know of that don’t have barber shop and in case of gw2 charges quite a hefty amount to change a hairstyle.

However, I have to point out, those games are not giving you new hairstyles to change to, they’re simply allowing you to change the default appearances very cheaply and whenever you like. You are not getting any new hair/face styles.

I don’t agree having to pay gems to change a default hairstyle/face but i don’t mind paying for any new ones they create.

Barber shop would be perfect in this game. Since gw2 does offer new hair/faces, I think a good solution would be to have a barber shop with 2 options: default and new makeovers. You should be able to preview everything in either case before buying and if you choose the new styles, you can be prompted to to pay gems and/or re-directed to gem purchase if you don’t have any, or enough on your acct.

In both cases, progressive charges could be applied. The more changes u want the more you pay. The only difference, default changes u pay with in-game currency, starting cheap for say just a hair change, to more expensive for full makeover, while the new styles are paid for with gems in a similar progressive way.

I created my 5 initial characters in haste at the head start to reserve my names, so all of them were just default characters with little adjustment. Since then, I’ve had to change every one of them and was forced to use makeover kits just to change a hair style i didn’t like or face i didn’t like etc. At this stage, there was no new faces/hairstyles only the default ones and i think it sucked I had to use kits to do so.

So yea, i’ve always been against the idea that we should have to pay gems to change the default styles, but like many others, I let it slide due to the idea that “Anet has to make money”. But really, they still can make money, maybe even more than now, if a system is implemented as described above and i think it would be a fair system and it would please everyone.

Everyone perhaps except those people who have a permanent makeover kit. Well they can still keep it and even sell it for those who want the convenience not having to visit a barber shop, which would only be located in major cities. It really would be no different than a permanent banker, which is only valuable for it’s convenience. In any case, there’s only a small bunch who have these and why should rest of the player base suffer because of a few?

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

On the contrary, as a veteran player, I’d love them to add the kit hair styles and faces to character creation.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

On the contrary, as a veteran player, I’d love them to add the kit hair styles and faces to character creation.

How likely is it though that in general other people will be happy with brand new people/characters getting vanity looks for free that they have to pay for on their old chars. Just look at the threads where people call for something to be done to players getting rewarded while being afk near events. There is a large proportion of the population who don’t want other people to get things for free where they have to work/pay for it.

ANet may give it to you.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Or they could just sell the permanent hair styling on the trading post.
Then they can get their $$.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Preacher.9526

Preacher.9526

We do have the ability to change hairstyles with either ingame gold or gems… Not sure why people have such a sense of entitlement. The price point seems fine to me. Just because it’s in the gem store doesn’t mean you have to spend RL cash. I on the other hand am way too impulsive and have spent way more on this game than anything else I have ever played.. But I can afford it… So there’s that.

Blackgate – Bjorn Ironside

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Sure give us a barber shop that requires 250gems to change your hairstyle. Anet is a business and this game is their product to make money with. And to be honest, its one of the best buss models i have seen in my mmo game life. Nearly all items are just cosmetics and nothing that makes your toon OP.

Guess some people just want to have everything for free.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Abbehemoth.2471

Abbehemoth.2471

Because the company needs to make money? How is this even a question?

A snip at a mere 2,411g! Perfect for the 1%ers with all that gold lying around I’m sure.

/entitlement turned on

Yeah! Why the kitten is Twilight so kitten expensive! ANET GIVE ME MY SWORD ALREADY!?!?!?! I DEMAND IT FOR FREE!

/entitlement turned off

Grow up.

Ye, I need to grow up. Since I clearly do not understand how a business works.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Threads like these mostly serve to reassure ANet that the hair and makeover kits have value. The Department of Shooting Yourself in the Foot applauds these threads because they are entirely self-defeating.

Now, if people were saying “meh, I couldn’t care less…” THEN maybe the price would come down. But the fact is ArenaNet is right: cosmetic changes have considerable value and people will pay for that value.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I created my 5 initial characters in haste at the head start to reserve my names, so all of them were just default characters with little adjustment. Since then, I’ve had to change every one of them and was forced to use makeover kits just to change a hair style i didn’t like or face i didn’t like etc. At this stage, there was no new faces/hairstyles only the default ones and i think it sucked I had to use kits to do so.

You weren’t forced to do anything. You could have just deleted and remade the characters. Since names are reserved to the account for several hours (IIRC 24) there was no problem with losing the names either.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

You weren’t forced to do anything. You could have just deleted and remade the characters. Since names are reserved to the account for several hours (IIRC 24) there was no problem with losing the names either.

Are you kidding? the last thing on my mind was to delete any of my chars. i couldn’t wait to get into the game and start exploring hehe. I created my own guild too had quite a few members back then so i had no time to think about that stuff. It was only later when i caught my breath that i thought about my chars looks and the fact i did very little customization when creating them.

And BTW i’m not saying i was forced, forced to do this. what i meant is if i wanted to change them i had no choice but to use the kits.

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I recently got a permanent hair kit. It took several weeks to earn the gold, but it was more than worth it. I have I think 13 level 80s, but I play my main almost exclusively and the ability to change the look is a total luxury.

The cost is about the same as a legendary – it’s very attainable if you’re focused and motivated. I would give up my Juggernaut before I gave up the hair kit.

I keep two sets of armors with a very different look, and it’s nice to be able to adapt to each one and not have to maintain a neutral “goes with anything” hair style.

Attachments:

(edited by Dreamslayer.7659)

We need a barber shop

Posted by: Westwater.1095

Westwater.1095

Are you kidding? the last thing on my mind was to delete any of my chars. i couldn’t wait to get into the game and start exploring hehe. I created my own guild too had quite a few members back then so i had no time to think about that stuff. It was only later when i caught my breath that i thought about my chars looks and the fact i did very little customization when creating them.

And BTW i’m not saying i was forced, forced to do this. what i meant is if i wanted to change them i had no choice but to use the kits.

That’s not being forced though. You had the choice to not put yourself in that situation in the first place, and you could have fixed it for free after the fact. Anet did not lock your account until you gave them $5 to play again.