We need a better precursor system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

Every other ingredient in this game needed for a legendary weapon has a fairly secure way of being obtained, however as far as precursors go, you need a ton of luck to actually get one yourself.

Even though I’ve played since Launce this is the MAIN reason i did never bother to try and make one, every time i check the list on what’s needed for a legendary weapon, the second i remember the precursor weapon i get put off and don’t want to try getting there.

So i propose a way to actually BUY precursor weapons, boxes etc…. HOWEVER this doesn’t mean it has to be easy, or take little time, however considering fractils and dungeons out there there could be an expensive mix of each token (for example) to be able to buy one.
I’m just brainstorming here keep in mind, that no matter the time it takes i want a CLEAR OBJECTIVE something you can WORK TO it’s the same with the legendary weapon, you keep upgrading components till you get the final piece of art you are proud to wielding.

However flushing a few hundred exotics down the toilet hopping for it to clog and dish out a precursor weapon by RNG/CHANCE is just discouraging

Note: most of this was brainstorming, people could be scared for the market, but it could also be made that buying precursors makes them soulbound while the forge remains free for trade, as another example.

I’d like to get opinions on this

Posted by: TrOtskY.5927

TrOtskY.5927

Anet doesn’t care at all about this, or else they would have definitely acted upon it already. As far as I know, they actually consider this situation to be “healthy”.

We are talking about price inflation of somewhere around 1,000% since launch on precursor value.
Yeah. The problem with comparing a game economy and the real world economy is that in the real word, the profits made from things are often used to reinvest into the procuring of said resource/material in order to make gathering said resource/material cheaper, faster and more reliable.
No such thing exists in MMOs, hence endless inflation.

The sad thing is they have actual economists working for them who don’t seem to realise this. But living in the real world over the past 10 years this shouldn’t surprise you. Economists very rarely actually know what they are doing.

(edited by TrOtskY.5927)

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The mystic forge is actually a balance for the market. If items at one tier are cheap and items at the next tier are expensive then players can try convert the cheap into the expensive through the forge. This prevents excess inflation at the top tier. It also takes items out of the game so that the endless supply doesn’t create deflation.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I’d like to get opinions on this

If you are interested in other players opinion, you could have just read one of the various other threads on this topic instead of creating a new one.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/No-precursor-crafting-CANNOT-last
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/Precursor-crafting-3
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/Official-Response-Drop-Rate-of-Legendary-Precursors

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Anet doesn’t care at all about this, or else they would have definitely acted upon it already. As far as I know, they actually consider this situation to be “healthy”.

I believe that misstates their position.

• They consider the economics of precursors to be healthy.
  • They have, at times, expressed concerns with the availability of precursors.
  • They have, at times, expressed an interest in developing alternatives.
  • The situation isn’t simple to resolve:
    • Increasing the number of precursors available will put intense pressure on T6 (and other) mats to rise in price; this could result in higher costs to forge a legend.
    • Making it easier to get legendaries tends to make those who already have them feel as if their accomplishment was diminished.
    • The fraction of players affected by precursor prices is small relative to those affected by other issues, whether bugs, features, or content.

tl;dr regardless of what ANet thinks, there’s no easy way to address the situation. Therefore, I don’t think we can draw any conclusions about ANet’s thoughts on the topic.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

TrOtskY.5927

I believe that misstates their position.

• They consider the economics of precursors to be healthy.
  • They have, at times, expressed concerns with the availability of precursors.
  • They have, at times, expressed an interest in developing alternatives.
  • The situation isn’t simple to resolve:
    • Increasing the number of precursors available will put intense pressure on T6 (and other) mats to rise in price; this could result in higher costs to forge a legend.
    • Making it easier to get legendaries tends to make those who already have them feel as if their accomplishment was diminished.
    • The fraction of players affected by precursor prices is small relative to those affected by other issues, whether bugs, features, or content.

tl;dr regardless of what ANet thinks, there’s no easy way to address the situation. Therefore, I don’t think we can draw any conclusions about ANet’s thoughts on the topic.

Are you kidding with that stuff? Anet control supply, hence they can modify drop rates…with ease I might add. That means not only can they increase the drop rates of all precursors, they can increase the drop rates of ANYTHING, that includes all necessary crafting materials.

I also hasten to add that having to gather so many T6 materials is a joke in iteself, it is just there to add to the grind and gently nudges impatient players towards Gem>Gold conversion, better known as GIMMME YO MONEY tactics.

You point out “bugs” and whatnot as a reason for not fixing this. Stop moving the goalposts. The same bugs and problems have plagued the game for YEARS.
Bugs and gameplay issues have nothing to do with this stuff. Features? Content? Are you even playing this game?

smh

All it shows is that either Anet does not care, or they see it as healthy and “working” or that they are actually incapable of fixing this issue because they lack peopel with the necessary skills and knowledge.
At this point, I’m opting for the latter.

ONE LAST EDIT***********

You say making precursors easier to aquire undermines the effort of those who went before them. You do realise poeple could easily acquire precursors for less than 1/10th of the price people are paying now? I am not saying make precursors free, I am saying return them to cheaper level, as they were in the past.

Secondly, nobody cares about the feelings of some random people and their QQ over “acheivements” aka grinding. There is no value in grinding, it is literally a waste of your life and nothing you will remember with fondness, or at all, in 10-20 years time. I am dead serious.

(edited by TrOtskY.5927)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Are you kidding with that stuff? Anet control supply, hence they can modify drop rates…with ease I might add. That means not only can they increase the drop rates of all precursors, they can increase the drop rates of ANYTHING, that includes all necessary crafting materials.

You point out “bugs” and whatnot as a reason for not fixing this. Stop moving the goalposts. The same bugs and problems have plagued the game for YEARS.
Bugs and gameplay issues have nothing to do with this stuff. Features? Content? Are you even playing this game?

smh

All it shows is that either Anet does not care, or they see it as healthy and “working” or that they are actually incapable of fixing this issue because they lack peopel with the necessary skills and knowledge.

And I’m noting you decided to not address his post much at all other than to reiterate what he responded to with his post detailing at least some of the issues with just turning the drop rate up without thinking on it.

Like it or not, the price of Precursors is something they’re wary of monkeying with too much. Especially since if there are more Precursors available, then there’s the cascade of effects from that which have to be considered . . . and the note that they probably won’t be worth as much on the trading post for people who want Precursors just to turn them on the market.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

TrOtskY.5927

The mystic forge is actually a balance for the market. If items at one tier are cheap and items at the next tier are expensive then players can try convert the cheap into the expensive through the forge. This prevents excess inflation at the top tier. It also takes items out of the game so that the endless supply doesn’t create deflation.

Again, this is another point I feel I have to make.

In a game where you have a source of guaranteed income (DUNGEON RUNS, which also happens to be the best source of income outside of TP flipping I might add) deflation is NOT a problem. Deflation is only a problem when income fluctuates. If we lived in a world where we could guarantee an income of resources no matter what, we would actually run economies with as much deflation as possible.

I can’t help but feel that there aren’t a lot of people on this forum who don’t really understand this stuff. Fair enough, it’s fairly complicated. But it’s also grounded in logical thinking, something which many people seem to lack. If you don’t understand it, for the love of god don’t DEFEND it. It’s not helpful.

TrOtskY.5927

smh

And I’m noting you decided to not address his post much at all other than to reiterate what he responded to with his post detailing at least some of the issues with just turning the drop rate up without thinking on it.

I can’t even understand this sentence. What? Please use grammar.

*edit, I was going to make another post but I don’t feel like spamming the forum too much.

I just want to make 1 more point. If we add in a “precursor system” then we will deflate the economy no matter what. There is no way around that. So we either get it and they fix the system so it’s not so built around a horrendous amount of grinding and farming, or they don’t.

It’s as simple as that. If you want more easily accesssible legendaries, then I am afraid you are gonna have to deal with that. If not, then you won’t. Do I think it’s fair? Not in the slightest. The inflation at the moment is making people have to spend more and more gold as time goes on if they want to “buy” their legendary. This is an effective punishment for arriving late to the game. The interesting thing I see is that we are seeing inflation on precursors at the >100% level but we aren’t seeing the Gem>Gold ratio change at the same rate whatsoever.

Again this is a serious problem and something we can only adress by increasing drop rates.

IDK what else to say, but I don’t get why people are defending this. It’s bad for new players and punishes new players over older players for literally no reason, in effect punishing them in mathematicall squared fashion > less time total played = less gold and arriving later in the game = more inflation = your gold is worth less.

(edited by TrOtskY.5927)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I personally believe that the grind to legendaries are so high already that having the precursor requirement removed entirely would still show you grinded a bunch of hours to get the weapon.
Was a huge mistake to allow precursors and legendaries to tradeable in the first place. But you know, this way Anet can make a few hundred bucks when someone decides to just buy the item instead of playing the game.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

smh

I can’t even understand this sentence. What? Please use grammar.

It’s grammatically correct enough, mind you, for you to understand without needing to add semicolons; they aren’t always necessary, when writing a single thought down.

But thanks for not responding at all to me other than to say you weren’t going to respond to me. That tells me all I need to know.

I just want to make 1 more point. If we add in a “precursor system” then we will deflate the economy no matter what. There is no way around that. So we either get it and they fix the system so it’s not so built around a horrendous amount of grinding and farming, or they don’t.

It’s as simple as that. If you want more easily accesssible legendaries, then I am afraid you are gonna have to deal with that. If not, then you won’t. Do I think it’s fair? Not in the slightest. The inflation at the moment is making people have to spend more and more gold as time goes on if they want to “buy” their legendary. This is an effective punishment for arriving late to the game. The interesting thing I see is that we are seeing inflation on precursors at the >100% level but we aren’t seeing the Gem>Gold ratio change at the same rate whatsoever.

Again this is a serious problem and something we can only adress by increasing drop rates.

IDK what else to say, but I don’t get why people are defending this. It’s bad for new players and punishes new players over older players for literally no reason, in effect punishing them in mathematicall squared fashion > less time total played = less gold and arriving later in the game = more inflation = your gold is worth less.

Defending it? You really aren’t reading what people are saying, are you? Illconceived told you flat out it wasn’t a problem with a simple answer, due to interconnected issues which would follow from just turning the drop rate up.

They weren’t defending it – they were explaining why we haven’t seen anything yet, and probably by extension one reason the “alternate Precursor acquisition methods” haven’t materialized – solve the problem of them being available, run into four more.

Personally, I think it should have been solved by making all parts of the Legendary account bound and ANet wiping their hands clean afterwards.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

Well i guess if i really wanted a precursor bought off the TP i could do every path of every dungeon daily giving me 24 Gold which i need to do 64 days to get a precursor

Maybe i should start farming gold that way at least, since 24 gold is about half my capital

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

In a game where you have a source of guaranteed income (DUNGEON RUNS, which also happens to be the best source of income outside of TP flipping I might add) deflation is NOT a problem. Deflation is only a problem when income fluctuates. If we lived in a world where we could guarantee an income of resources no matter what, we would actually run economies with as much deflation as possible.

Deflation is a problem when supply is in excess of demand. Without the forge there would be little demand for plain exotics and rare items and they would drop to the salvage value. It wouldn’t matter if players have 1 gold in the bank or 10,000 gold, any such item wouldn’t be traded for more than salvage value. With all these items getting salvaged the supply of ectos and crafting components would rise, so those prices would drop too.

Demand is important. Demand is what pushed silk and other components above the vendor price. There is no demand for leather and with no change in demand the leather will always stay at vendor price, no matter how much money comes into the economy.