We need a better way to bank our money.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rigged.1395

Rigged.1395

Today I just lost 200g, because of a typo. Now, it’s my own fault, because I typed “50” into the gold sell price field instead of the “number to sell” and ended up listing 85 trivial items for 50g each by accident, and the TP fee alone was 212g. (Dear Anet, please consider moving the sale quantity field farther away from the “Gold” field")

Now I’m trying to figure out ways to ensure this doesn’t happen again, but I realize I cannot just stick my money into a bank to ensure I don’t lose it all to a typo. I know I can put it in a private guild bank, but right now we have withdrawal limits by week. 500g may be a lot, but I don’t want to be in the situation where I might actually need more money than that and not being able to get it out of my bank for a week.

Can we please have the ability to put our gold into our personal bank, or lift the withdrawal restrictions on guilds where there is only one member and he is the one who deposited all the money?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Instead of Anet having to recode the Wallet system, players can take an extra few seconds to double check TP postings before clicking. I’ve made mistakes myself when rushing, so I’ve learned to slow down.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Sorry but I have to politely disagree. I think the way the wallet system is now, allowing all your characters access to your money without having to flip between characters and visiting banks far out-weighs the few times someone has accidentally made a Type O in the gold field.

Perhaps looking at the way we sell instead might be an idea?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Rigged.1395

Please understand that I am not advocating we go back to the days where we had separate money wallets for every character. I’d just like the ability to put money into the shared bank so we don’t accidentally lose it to a typo.

It’s not as if this is only possible when you are making a very large sale. You could easily be buying 20 of every t1 material and accidentally type the wrong number in. The only thing that’d save you at that point is if you had insufficient gold to pay the fee. I understand it’s unlikely to ever happen to you if you only use the TP a couple of times a week. But some people buy stuff dozens of times a day.

As a matter of fact it’s happened to me once before, but the last time I only had a handful of gold and the post didn’t go through.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

The real issue here is how mouseover on the price would make your numbers go into price, rather than into the quantity field YOU ACTUALLY CLICKED.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Today I just lost 200g, because of a typo. Now, it’s my own fault, because I typed “50” into the gold sell price field instead of the “number to sell” and ended up listing 85 trivial items for 50g each by accident, and the TP fee alone was 212g. (Dear Anet, please consider moving the sale quantity field farther away from the “Gold” field")

Now I’m trying to figure out ways to ensure this doesn’t happen again, but I realize I cannot just stick my money into a bank to ensure I don’t lose it all to a typo. I know I can put it in a private guild bank, but right now we have withdrawal limits by week. 500g may be a lot, but I don’t want to be in the situation where I might actually need more money than that and not being able to get it out of my bank for a week.

Can we please have the ability to put our gold into our personal bank, or lift the withdrawal restrictions on guilds where there is only one member and he is the one who deposited all the money?

Contact support, they might be able to help you. I’ve seen some things that I didn’t believe they would touch but they came through and provided exceptional service. Can’t hurt to try.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

Instead of destroying an amazing wallet feature, they could instead implement a warning message like you get when salvaging rare+ for sales with large list fees

“the listing fee is greater than X gold, are you sure wish to proceed with this sale?”

Perhaps you could set it, otherwise make it like 10 gold? I think that would stop it from coming up in the bulk of sales, but would stop anything truly heart breaking from happening.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Rigged.1395

Oh wow, I didn’t even realize that was the case. I just checked it. You can do everything right, click the correct field and still type in the wrong one just because your cursor was hovering over the wrong field.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The real issue here is how mouseover on the price would make your numbers go into price, rather than into the quantity field YOU ACTUALLY CLICKED.

This.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Or, as Hayashi said, you can have a field change require an actual click, instead of simply running the mouse past the field.

Rigged.1395

“… the way the wallet system is now, allowing all your characters access to your money without having to flip between characters and visiting banks”

“Instead of destroying an amazing wallet feature,”

Again please understand I am not advocating any kind of regressive wallet feature. I just want to be able to put the money in the SHARED bank (kinda like the guild banks, but for the personal one). For those people who love the convenience or who only have a handful of gold, you can just carry all your gold in your shared WALLET just like you are now.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about a second line in the wallet to put gold in, a savings account feature. The first line is the the original one. All new gold goes in there. That’s your checking account. People can remove gold from the checking account and put it in the savings account line.

1) the TP doesn’t draw from the line
2) is a safe and secure as the old wallet if hacked
3) allows people to save gold separately for purchases.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

We used to be able to deposit, but they changed it. I actually liked being able to deposit, but not everyone did.

Rigged.1395

A little update: I submitted a ticket and a GM managed to verify the transaction and helped me, hooray! But I would still like to leave this suggestion here to be able to bank some money so it’s less likely to happen again. It would also be really nice if they could rig it so that your entry field doesn’t change unless you actually click the field instead of just mouse-over.

Meanwhile I am gonna make a private guild so that I can stuff the money I have into the bank. The withdrawal limits suck, but I figure it’s better than losing everything by accident.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do be aware, should your account ever be compromised and need an Account Restoration, anything in your private Guild Vault will be not be restored and lost forever.

Good luck.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

You’re not the first one to suffer from that recent “improvement”: Rare Staff for 70g

And not the last one…

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

You’re not the first one to suffer from that recent “improvement”: Rare Staff for 70g

And not the last one…

That sucks. :\
Once I got a level 78 or 79 exotic GS from the Mystic Forge daily that was something like 2g order value, 19g seller’s value. I found it really weird since the sigil was crap and the skin was just some regular Etched, however I listed it for 19g to see what happened.
The next minute there were already some listed for 3g on top of mine but I decided to leave it there just because. Thing is, it eventually sold when I had totally forgotten about it! My guess is that some players with lots of gold, buying huge amounts don’t always double check the listings.

70g however is a bit too much, I suppose. :\

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

“… the way the wallet system is now, allowing all your characters access to your money without having to flip between characters and visiting banks”

“Instead of destroying an amazing wallet feature,”

Again please understand I am not advocating any kind of regressive wallet feature. I just want to be able to put the money in the SHARED bank (kinda like the guild banks, but for the personal one). For those people who love the convenience or who only have a handful of gold, you can just carry all your gold in your shared WALLET just like you are now.

You forgot what I said at the end of my post.

" Perhaps looking at the way we sell instead might be an idea? "

You can still end up making an error in selling with your suggestion.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

The hover-select is the best feature of the current TP UI. Well, second-best, right under mousewheel to change values. The whole thing is so cripplingly slow as it is that requiring more clicks just to use it would be a far greater loss than that of the odd person who doesn’t pay attention to what they’re doing.

Posted by: cthaeh.2168

cthaeh.2168

This is the most obnoxious UI choice ever. Couldn’t agree more.

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

This is the most obnoxious UI choice ever. Couldn’t agree more.

Quoted for truth. Mouse-over selection should be something we can disable.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The hover-select is the best feature of the current TP UI. Well, second-best, right under mousewheel to change values. The whole thing is so cripplingly slow as it is that requiring more clicks just to use it would be a far greater loss than that of the odd person who doesn’t pay attention to what they’re doing.

I’ve never heard of any feature in anything that’s hover-select. And I imagine there are several others just like me. No where does it warn that the TP is hover-select. So I, and other players assumed it was click-select, just like EVERY other text box we’ve ever seen on a browser (TP is browser based).

Personally, they should make it act like every other text box on every other site. Harder to make mistakes if you have to click in the fields literally to change what box you’re in.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Like in real life, our money should be in a bank. We only carry a limited amount in our wallet.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But the wallet was introduced because players got tired needing to dash back to a bank and transfer the money they needed to do whatever they were trying to do before they got the lack of funds message.

This case is just a PEBCAK issue with the TP.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Focus on mouseover is spectacularly idiotic, nobody would every want this. so ANet only knows why this stupid feature got implemented; and why they haven’t removed it yet. It has been complained about before.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If there was a savings line added to the bank, the ones that want to use it, can. The ones that prefer to keep all their gold in the checkings line, can.

I really don’t see why people would object to this, or why they need to make comments about self restraint or other remarks concerning a feature that’s part of everyday real life, the checking and savings accounts in a bank. Many people find it easier to save money if it’s separated from the spending money. It’s a QoL feature, not a personal failing.

ANet may give it to you.

Behellagh.1468

They changed it because it was a QoL issue. The urge to twink a character from a wealthier sugardadddy or running low due an off night or premo loot drop you want to sell but don’t have the 5% for and you don’t want to head to the nearest bank branch to transfer your funds.

While a 2nd line at the bank is interesting if you can only use it at a bank branch then the same complaints that led to it’s removal will still pop up from time to time and allowing transfers at anytime defeats the purpose unless you think that one extra step will stop players from raiding their savings.

RIP City of Heroes

Just a flesh wound.3589

It should stop people from raiding their savings by the same amount it stops people in real life accessing their savings with a debit card or using a check that has the savings account numbers on it, which the bank will give you when you open a savings account.

I use a guild bank to deposit a few gold at a time until I reach 100 gold, then I buy gems with it and start over. It makes saving easy as I can tell at a glance how much I have saved up and I don’t have to resort to putting 50 -100 one or two gold bids on a Legendary, keeping track how much it is then canceling them all when my goal is reached. I also don’t have to keep track, either mentally or by writing to down, if I tried to do it by using the current bank setup with pooled gold. If there was a savings account line, I could do the same thing without having to worry about losing it if hacked or by the clumsy method of depositing it in the TP post, gold by gold.

ANet may give it to you.

Behellagh.1468

Guess you haven’t been watching all the bank commercials showing how easy it is to transfer money from accounts or raising self declared daily spending limits. Not to mention that bank ATMs allow transfer between accounts. That RL barrier is vanishing.

RIP City of Heroes

Just a flesh wound.3589

Guess you haven’t been watching all the bank commercials showing how easy it is to transfer money from accounts or raising self declared daily spending limits. Not to mention that bank ATMs allow transfer between accounts. That RL barrier is vanishing.

This dropping of the barriers is one reason why people get in financial trouble so that’s hardly a point in favor of an argument against a savings line.

People have used the separation method of saving for centuries. Envelopes, piggy banks, a bank account separate from checking. The reason it’s been used for so long is because it’s effective. When things are set up in game, basic human behavior should be kept in mind. When moneys are separated it’s easier for people to keep track of savings and it’s easiest for the average person to not spend.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

100% agree. I’ve never lost money because of this, but I’ve been regularly annoyed by this ‘feature’. I click on quantity then start to type and my mouse moves down a bit… and suddenly I’m typing in the price box??!!

This is just bad UI design. The cursor should stay in the box I click on (unless I press Tab).

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

… omg. I had no idea i could mousewheel values, thank you!

I still disagree though, it’s not hard to click on the field you want, or use Tab if you’re keyboarding it. Mouseover select should be disabled simply because it’s not the way 99% of windowed interfaces work in the world today and that screws people up.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court